Simon Fraser University

Simon Fraser University Employee Reviews for Research Assistant

Research Assistant23 reviews
Canada23 reviews
Very collaborative department. The professors are very knowledgeable. They conduct the classes very carefully. Projects are always relevant. An all round university experience
the economics department is a great employer and full of faculty and staff members who want students to succeed. I received all the support I needed and was always encouraged to grow as a researcher
Working at SFU as a research assistant was of a great contribution towards my career. The working culture at SFU is really friendly and motivational. People there are really supportive and always motivated me to give my best for each task.
Teaching at SFU is challenging work for many many reasons. I learned a lot from from doing this, and in many ways I would not be where I am without having done it.
Pros
learning
Cons
stress
I was offered the teaching assistant position by Department of Mathematics, Simon Fraser University. The faculty and staff are supportive and helpful.
Really great experience. Learning so much. Ability to work remotely from Ontario is a huge plus. Collaboration with many other researchers and freedom to work on my own hours.
Typical day was ok. I learned about genetic sequence analysis, scripting, cluster computing. Management was ok, could be improved. The workplace culture was different as is a university rather than a conventional environment .
Kick-started my career as a research assistant there. Learned a lot about employment systems in Canada and in the Academic field.
There are lots of options and opportunities, one needs to know what they want and go for it.
Dr.Plettner's lab in SFU is my first working place. I've learned so much throughout the year as a volunteer as well as a full-timer during the summer. I've also made some good friends and they accepted me more willingly than i expected. The most enjoyable part of the job would probably be the time we spent together after work and when everyone worked hard as a team.
This school was amazing. The professors are generally helpful and willing to go out of their way to ensure you understand the concepts. Social life with other students is limited
It was good learning experience for me. I worked as research assistant in engineering science. Flexible work hours and lot of freedom to try implementing new solution.
You have freedom to choose what you would like to work on.
I learned a lot from this Research Assistant position.

I like the working environment and my supervisor and my co-workers.
SFU made a great environment for researchers and students to pursue their passions and dreams.
Working at IMuTs lab in SFU was very competitive and efficient.
So far I have spent 3 years of my life at Simon Fraser University. Throughout these years I have learned how to interact with people having different backgrounds and cultures and how to manage my life and balance it with my work. PhD studies require hard work and patience, however, the result is what can make me satisfiend.
SFU is an excellent place to work - great support for self development and a good work-life balance in almost every department
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Working at Simon Fraser University as a research assistant has been very rewarding for me since the research topics are up to date and require deep knowledge in a specific area.
Simone Fraser University was a very nice place to work and the people were great.
Pros
Excellent location, great people, nice salary
Cons
No cleanroom facilities
TA is the easier work to do for me; but there is no hope for the future career; also when you meet schedule conflict with another job, you won't be able to get any help from the admin.
we worked as a team to help professor conduct analysis of the finance and accounting industry. It taught me a lot to how to work in a team and how to express you ideas.
As a researcher at SFU, I start to search for new methods in my work, develop new ideas, implement and test them to evaluate and compare to baseline methods.
I have nice and helpful co-workers.

The most enjoyable part of job for me is implementing and developing new ideas.
Pros
being uptodate and learning a lot
Cons
pressure during deadlines
Hunting research information for PhD candidate, focusing on area of Telemedecine.
Pros
grad level access to resources
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon Fraser University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3