Simon Fraser University logo

Simon Fraser University Employee Reviews

4.2
Work-life balance

Excellent working environment

SFU is rated as the best Employer in BC. Having worked there I fully agree. The work is challenging, interesting and fully involved. I highly recommend SFU.

Pros

Multiple work locations

Cons

Pay is below average

Great

Good place to work and work life balance. Full benefits provided including good pension etc. Lot of support help and training. Need to ravel between campuses

Pros

Cons

regualr hours

Favouritism and Racism

To promote in SFU, you need connections. Few Unqualified managers are hired .You can get a lot of racists words everyday.Very bad atmosphere! The uneducated staff is a shame.

Great workplace and helpful management

Great productive atmosphere. Management is helpful and provide good feedback when asked. One of the best workplaces. The only con I can think of is you will most likely work many temporary jobs before being able to secure a permanent position at the university.

Relaxed pace with great student workers

Lithic Identification Photocopy maps transfer field notes onto a Microsoft excel format Working with other students was easily the best part of this work experience.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

lab location had poor cell reception

Mechatronic Engineering

Very collaborative department. The professors are very knowledgeable. They conduct the classes very carefully. Projects are always relevant. An all round university experience

Hardest Part of the Job

You must be a go getter in this job. Management may change, making difficult to find structure within a job that is relatively new. Great benefits and pension.

fun environment...

fun within the environment full of student but there are a lot of rule on campus and you need to behave. not stressful. having a lot of opportunities there

Positive Experience!

the economics department is a great employer and full of faculty and staff members who want students to succeed. I received all the support I needed and was always encouraged to grow as a researcher

Productive and fun working with the highest level of experienced team

Work at SFU can be divided into two phases: work with undergrad students and work with the research team. Both situations are productive and fun because in one phase my personal knowledge should be transferred to a group of students and in another phase I should learn from other scientists. in latter phase I learn machine learning and digital soil mapping. My supervisors are well experienced and I really enjoy working with them. The best part of the job in the first phase is to see students' satisfaction and respect. In the second phase the best time is when I overcome a difficult scientific situation such as writing a successful script.

Jobs at Simon Fraser University

See more jobs

Place culture

Working at SFU as a research assistant was of a great contribution towards my career. The working culture at SFU is really friendly and motivational. People there are really supportive and always motivated me to give my best for each task.

Productive and Fun Workplace

I worked as a teaching assistant. My salary was adequate for my lifestyle and I felt that I was compensated well. The job is not very stressful in general.

Supportive and lots of resources to help you

An amazing experience, the management is amazing, the workplace culture is very casual in face to face but professional through emails, people are nice and lots of students around

Pros

Campus full of services

Cons

Mountain in the snow

Very good culture

I work as a technologist at SFU. It is a really nice place to work at - lovely natural environment and management is good. Most people that start here end here in retirement.

This is my university

Very happy to be educated here. Worked on the school project is a nice process. But I have to remind you some people as a student here are not easy to work with

Really fun place to work

Nice co-workers, good environment. Worked with my co- worker and it was every enjoyable experience. It helps me to refine my skills in event planning and observing people attitude.

Pros

Flexible Hours

Awesome place to work

The atmosphere is great. Fellow employees are great. Totally love this job. Go to work and enjoy every minute of it. Lots of diversity, many different functions. Room to grow.

Productive and Fun

SFU Media and Communications Groups has a great dynamic, and it is great working for them. It is very collaborative and assisting each other is highly encouraged. I have seen my skills improve and I can't wait for more! :)

It was fun. I learned a lot from this program.

I learned how to communicate well with collegues and children. The most enjoyable part of the job are to develop the skills of classroom management, organization and leadership.

Productive and relaxed workspace

I worked as a graduate teaching assistant at Simon Fraser University. On a typical day at work, I performed duties like grading, mentoring and clerical help.

Interesting Work.

Great environemnt, good people. Not much alternative in the area unfortunately. Flexible, set your own schedule, take care and see to your own responsibilities. Don't abuse lack of supervision.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon Fraser University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.2