Simon Fraser University Employee Reviews

Being a TA was great, otherwise SFU doesn't seem to hire their own grads
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 December 2018
Teaching students was great. The pay as TA is not outstanding and it is a good amount of work. The university seems to pay some staff very well but I am not sure what one has to do to get one of those jobs, apparently getting a graduate degree plus tons of relevant work experience is not enough. A lot of the full-time, permanent staff members are unapproachable and a bit entitled.
Good, bad, ugly
Faculty Associate/PDP Program (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 November 2018
There are opportunities for great professional development with extremely well educated professionals. lYearly, I lose pay compared to working as a full time teacher as it is not year round salary,. There is also little job stability
Great with flaws
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 November 2018
working for SFU was a great learning experience. The amount of access to materials and resources is highly admirable. I'd like to see further compensation within different sectors that need it most.
Pros
Resources and access
Cons
pay
Interesting work with rich job duties
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 November 2018
I have run two tutorials and held office hour each week to address students' course-related questions. Besides teaching, I also marked students' exams and presentation.

The work is heavy, but very fun and challenging to do. I have learned excellent multi-task and communication skills from this job.
great instituion
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC5 November 2018
Very active in creating new learning projects. Appreciate innovative ideas. Collaborate well with companies and research institutions. Very fair to employee.
good working place
Academic Tutor - Academic First Program (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 October 2018
A good working atmosphere here, people are friendly and you will learn a lot. The working culture here are also good, as your colleagues will teach you a lot.
Sometimes lots of work
Economics Department Teacher's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 October 2018
I was a teaching assistant while I was a student at Simon Fraser University. Sometimes there was lots of work and it was a hard to stay on top of my own school work
productive and fun
Rec Sports Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 October 2018
Provided opportunities for students to grow. A typical day at work includes customer service, interacting with participants and supervising the rec center.
Pros
flexible hours
Sfu
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 September 2018
Volunteer for a Grad student on a product, it was a great learning for myself and the students. LOVED it. a great way to explore what they want to do..
Exciting
Research Participant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2018
Volunteering in a thesis project as a research participant was exciting, as the topic of the thesis was relevant to my life. Participants were provided with gift cards as compensation for their time.

Want to know more about Simon Fraser University?

Ask a question
Educational and Productive environment to grow in.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 August 2018
Our lab allowed for an amazing growth opportunity, with a supervisor who ensured that we gained skills that would server us outside academia. Working as a teaching assistant provided a chance to improve public speaking abilities as well as the critical thinking needed to convey material to students.
Great experience!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 July 2018
Really great experience. Learning so much. Ability to work remotely from Ontario is a huge plus. Collaboration with many other researchers and freedom to work on my own hours.
SFU review
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC22 July 2018
Typical day was ok. I learned about genetic sequence analysis, scripting, cluster computing. Management was ok, could be improved. The workplace culture was different as is a university rather than a conventional environment .
Fulfilling
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 June 2018
Kick-started my career as a research assistant there. Learned a lot about employment systems in Canada and in the Academic field.
There are lots of options and opportunities, one needs to know what they want and go for it.
A good stepping stone in to research
Research volunteer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 May 2018
Not only was I able to learn lab techniques, I was also able to learn more about higher education options and how to develop my reach technician profile.
This place could kill your light
Tutor Marker, Education Dept (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 April 2018
SFU is a place of anxiety and pain. Do yourself a favour and get out instead of getting involved.

Management is oppressive, oversight of how your immediate superiors treat you is anything from lax to nonexistent and the system seems to rely on whoever the present lowest employee level is working extra hours unpaid. If you care about the overall health of the school then you'll be crying trying to alter things, but if you only care about your own butt then you might enjoy life under some one of SFU's many rocks of nonsense.
Pros
There are some cool people here
Cons
Miasma of fear and oppression, devious management, wage calculated to make life so hard you go into debt
Depends on what position you have
Post Doctorate Fellow (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC18 April 2018
If you never become involved with HR labour relations side of this institution it seems like it is run pretty well except.

Like most public institutions there are too many mangers and too much bureaucracy but that is par for the course.
Pros
Generally a good cooperative atmosphere
Cons
commuter campus with minimal and expensive parking
engaging workplace
Track and Field Youth Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 April 2018
very friendly environment with helpful bosses, many opportunities to move up in ranks. Got to work with lots of kids which was by far the best part of the job
Pros
pay was very good
Cons
long trips to get to job
Great atmosphere to work in, a bit difficult to deal with so many different departments
President of the SIAT Student Union (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 April 2018
My position often varied from week to week due to the diverse amount of projects and the different requests from different departments. This really helped me get exposed to a lot of different jobs and skills.I did not like dealing with waiting for different people to e-mail me back through the processes of the projects. I was always quite busy and it slowed me down a lot when clients would take longer than a week to respond about projects they asked me to do. However, my coworkers made up for any annoyances I had. I worked with a lot of SFU students so we got along quite well. Since they were senior students, I learned a lot from them as well.
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
A lot of busy clients to wait on
Temporary position
Fundraising Campaign Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 March 2018
It was fun working with the student callers and watching them grow into their roles. Experience wasn't as important as your level of education. Financial goals were reached which was the best outcome
Pros
The hours were perfect
Cons
Management was challenging.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon Fraser University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3