Simon Fraser University Employee Reviews

Exciting
Research Participant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2018
Volunteering in a thesis project as a research participant was exciting, as the topic of the thesis was relevant to my life. Participants were provided with gift cards as compensation for their time.
Educational and Productive environment to grow in.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 August 2018
Our lab allowed for an amazing growth opportunity, with a supervisor who ensured that we gained skills that would server us outside academia. Working as a teaching assistant provided a chance to improve public speaking abilities as well as the critical thinking needed to convey material to students.
Great experience!
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 July 2018
Really great experience. Learning so much. Ability to work remotely from Ontario is a huge plus. Collaboration with many other researchers and freedom to work on my own hours.
SFU review
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC22 July 2018
Typical day was ok. I learned about genetic sequence analysis, scripting, cluster computing. Management was ok, could be improved. The workplace culture was different as is a university rather than a conventional environment .
Fulfilling
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 June 2018
Kick-started my career as a research assistant there. Learned a lot about employment systems in Canada and in the Academic field.
There are lots of options and opportunities, one needs to know what they want and go for it.
A good stepping stone in to research
Research volunteer (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC12 May 2018
Not only was I able to learn lab techniques, I was also able to learn more about higher education options and how to develop my reach technician profile.
This place could kill your light
Tutor Marker, Education Dept (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 April 2018
SFU is a place of anxiety and pain. Do yourself a favour and get out instead of getting involved.

Management is oppressive, oversight of how your immediate superiors treat you is anything from lax to nonexistent and the system seems to rely on whoever the present lowest employee level is working extra hours unpaid. If you care about the overall health of the school then you'll be crying trying to alter things, but if you only care about your own butt then you might enjoy life under some one of SFU's many rocks of nonsense.
Pros
There are some cool people here
Cons
Miasma of fear and oppression, devious management, wage calculated to make life so hard you go into debt
Depends on what position you have
Post Doctorate Fellow (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC18 April 2018
If you never become involved with HR labour relations side of this institution it seems like it is run pretty well except.

Like most public institutions there are too many mangers and too much bureaucracy but that is par for the course.
Pros
Generally a good cooperative atmosphere
Cons
commuter campus with minimal and expensive parking
engaging workplace
Track and Field Youth Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 April 2018
very friendly environment with helpful bosses, many opportunities to move up in ranks. Got to work with lots of kids which was by far the best part of the job
Pros
pay was very good
Cons
long trips to get to job
Great atmosphere to work in, a bit difficult to deal with so many different departments
President of the SIAT Student Union (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 April 2018
My position often varied from week to week due to the diverse amount of projects and the different requests from different departments. This really helped me get exposed to a lot of different jobs and skills.I did not like dealing with waiting for different people to e-mail me back through the processes of the projects. I was always quite busy and it slowed me down a lot when clients would take longer than a week to respond about projects they asked me to do. However, my coworkers made up for any annoyances I had. I worked with a lot of SFU students so we got along quite well. Since they were senior students, I learned a lot from them as well.
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
A lot of busy clients to wait on
Temporary position
Fundraising Campaign Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 March 2018
It was fun working with the student callers and watching them grow into their roles. Experience wasn't as important as your level of education. Financial goals were reached which was the best outcome
Pros
The hours were perfect
Cons
Management was challenging.
Academia is not for everyone
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 March 2018
If you love reading academic texts and writing up long, advanced arguments about the state of your field of study then academia is for you. Your success is exactly what you put in and is definitely not for the lazy or faint of heart.
Pros
Fairly flexible and free working hours
Cons
Stress, writer's block, arguments and disagreements with peers common
A work place full of diversity
Campus Tour Guide (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 March 2018
As a work place, SFU always advocates cultural diversity and a respectful working environment. It always provides different opportunities for its employees to grow.
Pros
Free lunches all the time
Cons
on the mountain
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 March 2018
Simon Fraser University allows its student to keep working and learning about their careers as they study through a work-study program. I have been working through this program since I started university at SFU.
University Life Style
Undergraduate & Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 February 2018
Very academic so good for those who enjoy the academic lifestyle. Systems are all UBC so a huge learning curve for those coming from the outside having to learn them.
Pros
Hours - Short
Cons
Can be boring the work.
good
RA (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 January 2018
A decent place to work overall, but it depends what department you are in. Worst part - cost of parking, best - part being in a learning environment.
productive and fun work environment
Student Caller (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC29 January 2018
days are very punctual and a typical day is only 4 hours. I learned how to be persuasive over the phone when looking for donations for scholarships and evolved my verbal social skills. The environment was fun because I was working with like-minded students. the hardest part of the job was being denied donations and having to deal with rejection for a majority of the shift.
Very friendly people
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2018
warm and friendly people
payscale can be bit better, and also the transportation costs could be given by the school as every day i had to travel long distance
Team work
Administrator/Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 January 2018
Loved the team I worked with, I am now retired and do still visit and keep in touch with the office staff I worked with.
We are all able to help each other and the part I loved most was dealing with the students and the public.
Pros
morning meetings
Cons
snow days
Fun and pleasant working experience
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 January 2018
Dr.Plettner's lab in SFU is my first working place. I've learned so much throughout the year as a volunteer as well as a full-timer during the summer. I've also made some good friends and they accepted me more willingly than i expected. The most enjoyable part of the job would probably be the time we spent together after work and when everyone worked hard as a team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon Fraser University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3