Simon Fraser University
Happiness score is 83 out of 100

Working at Simon Fraser University: Employee Reviews

Canada174 reviews

frasersimonuniversitytastudentacademicprofessorlab

Inclusive environment and heavy workload

Great management and very busy around peak enrolment periods. There are lots of opportunities for advancement and the tuition waiver for permanent staff is a bonus.

Great Place to work. Very collaborative and understanding. Staff very supportive. High job satisfaction. Great pay. Great work life balance. Excellent work culture.

Insights into Simon Fraser University

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

Relaxed and Room to Learn

Overall a relaxed atmosphere, good work life balance and lots of opportunities to learn as they are a University.Take home pay isn't very competitive, but the benefit package is great and could offset it, including 4 weeks paid vacation to start PLUS Christmas week paid off.

Good place for students to start their journey in academia

Huge place so my review might not reflect the general trends, but I worked for a lab and really enjoyed working there. The lab supervisor is really nice and I learned tons about research and lots of insights.

Pros

Learning

Research Assistant

As a graduate research assistant, I don’t have that much to say about this position. It’s a temporary position while a student. The quality of research positions depend of the project and supervisor. I’ve had several during my time as a grad student. Most of the time I was given simple tasks by my supervisor. My academic supervisor is great, and I was lucky to have him as a mentor.

Good pay for a student, relaxed

As a TA, need to do tutorials and read exams. Work at your own pace, students are mostly okay, very little percentage actually cares about classes, means less work

Good culture, helpful people, always get the help you need

Works days are relaxing and people are nice and helpful. Great Work-life Balance. Good benefits such as the fully covered pension plan. 4 weeks of vacation even for the new staff. Free Education for the family at SFU.

Everyday was different

Great diverse environment and great people.Everyday was different with new challenges. There's a chance to work form home if needed and that was a big pro for me.

Difficult to secure permanent position, but lots of temp opportunities

Temp positions are a great way to get your foot in the door however it is very difficult to secure a permanent position and can take a lot of job hopping

Cannot recommend

Culture is ‘woke’ and there is no room for negotiation on political views (odd, since this is a learning institution ) Management is disorganized and communication between different levels of the institution is very poor. IT services often break down, a constant frustration. Management generally lacks professional experience and skills needed to perform in management rolls. Overall, the institution can be described as unprofessional, haphazard. I would not recommend the institution for work or academic study.

Pros

Solid benefit program

Cons

Pretty much everything else.

Professional Productive Engaging

I have worked at SFU for over 20 years now. I am happy to have chosen such a great work environment. I feel empowered working here, a place where I feel encouraged, noticed. I have advanced my learning there and grown into a leadership role as a senior staff. I am happy receiving work benefits under a union based system. It is a great place to work and I am happy that I work there. I am sure that I will continue working at SFU until my retirement and pension time.

Pros

Fun lunch breaks with management and great meetings

Cons

Confusion with staff over competitiveness

Great

Good place to work and work life balance. Full benefits provided including good pension etc. Lot of support help and training. Need to ravel between campuses

Pros

Cons

regualr hours

Excellent working environment

SFU is rated as the best Employer in BC. Having worked there I fully agree. The work is challenging, interesting and fully involved. I highly recommend SFU.

Pros

Multiple work locations

Cons

Pay is below average

Favouritism and Racism

To promote in SFU, you need connections. Few Unqualified managers are hired .You can get a lot of racists words everyday.Very bad atmosphere! The uneducated staff is a shame.

Great workplace and helpful management

Great productive atmosphere. Management is helpful and provide good feedback when asked. One of the best workplaces. The only con I can think of is you will most likely work many temporary jobs before being able to secure a permanent position at the university.

Relaxed pace with great student workers

Lithic Identification Photocopy maps transfer field notes onto a Microsoft excel format Working with other students was easily the best part of this work experience.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

lab location had poor cell reception

Mechatronic Engineering

Very collaborative department. The professors are very knowledgeable. They conduct the classes very carefully. Projects are always relevant. An all round university experience

Hardest Part of the Job

You must be a go getter in this job. Management may change, making difficult to find structure within a job that is relatively new. Great benefits and pension.

fun environment...

fun within the environment full of student but there are a lot of rule on campus and you need to behave. not stressful. having a lot of opportunities there

Positive Experience!

the economics department is a great employer and full of faculty and staff members who want students to succeed. I received all the support I needed and was always encouraged to grow as a researcher

Productive and fun working with the highest level of experienced team

Work at SFU can be divided into two phases: work with undergrad students and work with the research team. Both situations are productive and fun because in one phase my personal knowledge should be transferred to a group of students and in another phase I should learn from other scientists. in latter phase I learn machine learning and digital soil mapping. My supervisors are well experienced and I really enjoy working with them. The best part of the job in the first phase is to see students' satisfaction and respect. In the second phase the best time is when I overcome a difficult scientific situation such as writing a successful script.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon Fraser University. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement