Simon Fraser University

Simon Fraser University Employee Reviews

Canada156 reviews
Positive Experience!
the economics department is a great employer and full of faculty and staff members who want students to succeed. I received all the support I needed and was always encouraged to grow as a researcher
Productive and fun working with the highest level of experienced team
Work at SFU can be divided into two phases: work with undergrad students and work with the research team. Both situations are productive and fun because in one phase my personal knowledge should be transferred to a group of students and in another phase I should learn from other scientists. in latter phase I learn machine learning and digital soil mapping. My supervisors are well experienced and I really enjoy working with them. The best part of the job in the first phase is to see students' satisfaction and respect. In the second phase the best time is when I overcome a difficult scientific situation such as writing a successful script.
Place culture
Working at SFU as a research assistant was of a great contribution towards my career. The working culture at SFU is really friendly and motivational. People there are really supportive and always motivated me to give my best for each task.
Productive and Fun Workplace
I worked as a teaching assistant. My salary was adequate for my lifestyle and I felt that I was compensated well. The job is not very stressful in general.
Supportive and lots of resources to help you
An amazing experience, the management is amazing, the workplace culture is very casual in face to face but professional through emails, people are nice and lots of students around
Pros
Campus full of services
Cons
Mountain in the snow
Very good culture
I work as a technologist at SFU. It is a really nice place to work at - lovely natural environment and management is good. Most people that start here end here in retirement.
This is my university
Very happy to be educated here. Worked on the school project is a nice process.

But I have to remind you some people as a student here are not easy to work with
Really fun place to work
Nice co-workers, good environment. Worked with my co- worker and it was every enjoyable experience. It helps me to refine my skills in event planning and observing people attitude.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Awesome place to work
The atmosphere is great. Fellow employees are great. Totally love this job. Go to work and enjoy every minute of it. Lots of diversity, many different functions. Room to grow.
Productive and Fun
SFU Media and Communications Groups has a great dynamic, and it is great working for them. It is very collaborative and assisting each other is highly encouraged. I have seen my skills improve and I can't wait for more! :)
It was fun. I learned a lot from this program.
I learned how to communicate well with collegues and children. The most enjoyable part of the job are to develop the skills of classroom management, organization and leadership.
Productive and relaxed workspace
I worked as a graduate teaching assistant at Simon Fraser University. On a typical day at work, I performed duties like grading, mentoring and clerical help.
Interesting Work.
Great environemnt, good people. Not much alternative in the area unfortunately. Flexible, set your own schedule, take care and see to your own responsibilities. Don't abuse lack of supervision.
Na
Quite a relaxed working environment.
Opportunity for growth and development. A right environment for anyone interested in building a career within an educational institution
Productive and fun
Great culture, great mission, very friendly people. 3 different campuses, so not the same office every day. Management was fantastic, as were my peers.
Ambiente de trabajo muy pesado
La cultura en el departamento de recursos humanos deja mucho que desear. Mala administración sin metas y objetivos claros. Los equipos del departamento están altamente segregados y hay poca colaboración entre equipos.

La directora del departamento de Recursos Humanos no cuenta con un titulo universitario y así mismo desprecia a quién los tiene entre sus subordinados.

La oportunidad de acenso está limitada a personalidades afines y no a metas logradas ni a capacidad superior laboral.
Job security but little room to grow
SFU is a decent place to work, good salary and good benefits. But there is little room to grow for most staff unless you are one of the chosen few. Most managers have no idea of how to manage people and care mostly about staying relevant and keeping their jobs. Fellow staff are pretty good but theres lots of back stabbing and gossip. Parking is expensive with few spots.
Great learning environment
Challenging but engaging place to work and conduct research. Often work long hours but manageable if you are efficient and disciplined in how you use your day.
Extremely supportive workspace
- Great place for students to get work experience and seasoned professionals to hone their skills
- A good place to network with industry professionals through community engagement
Fun, interactive workplace
In a typical day at work, my role was to work in a team environment and coordinate our responsibilities throughout the game. As the college players were on the field, I adapted to the rotation of the game and helped the referees and team by retrieving the ball. The most enjoyable part of this job was working in a team environment in a positive workplace.
I worked as a team player so it required lots of communication, patience and understanding and due to this the productivity of the work was better and
the day starts with helping customers, attending phone queries, and responding to the emails.
I learned that different people have different needs and views.

Hardest part in any job is when the customers screams and swear at me.

The most enjoyable part for me at the job would be when I accomplish

a task successfully.
Pros
Extremely friendly environment and very approachable management team
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon Fraser University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3