Simit & Chai Co.

Simit & Chai Co. Pay & benefits reviews: Barista

Clear
2.9Pay & benefits
2.3Job security & advancement

Micromanaged workplace with no opportunity of growth

The location is nice but the management is very moody, you never really know what you're going to get when you walk in. They encourage you not to speak with your coworkers which makes a full time job quite stressful. The hardest part was having knowing that 50% of your tips from foh are split between the owners and yourself and boh gets no tips at all. The most enjoyable part is definitely the regulars they are usually very friendly. If you get a break you are not allowed to leave the shop and have to take orders when someone does come not allowing you to take a break at all.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

short hours, micromanaged, no chance of growth or a raise

Horrible and abusive managment

During my training shift - my first shift - I was left alone in the shop to train myself. I called the manager to ask if I had the correct date for my training shift. It was confirmed that yes it was and that I should train myself by doing the job asked of me. They had a "training manual" which I was instructed NOT to use because of outdated information. You do NOT get breaks, even if you've worked over 5hrs. Not even bathroom breaks when working alone. I was told this job was $19/hour during the interview. Once hired I learned it was $14/hour + tips. The tips go to the managers, then the foh staff, and NONE go to boh staff. Pay cheques were always late. You are expected to work past your shift has ended without pay compensation. A staff member was hurt on the job while a manager was there and they tried to convince them it never happened, while the staff member was bleeding in front of them. When asked about video footage of the incident we were told camera footage of the event was "mysteriously deleted" Management will make you feel awful, confused, and embarrassed. They have cameras everywhere and will call the store to yell at you if they see something they don't like. (i.e taking bathroom breaks, making too much dip coffee etc)

Loved the customers

Enjoyed working with the customers, management needs alot of work. Management was short tempered and treated employees with little respect. They fed alot of promises with little turnout.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simit & Chai Co.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8