Simit & Chai Co.

Simit & Chai Co. Employee Reviews

Management style based on their mood

There're no structure or system in terms of managing. They are short termper and allow no mistakes, they want people with experience, smart and fast with minimum wage and no tips. They want to hire person with the full package and don't want to train new guys up to that level. I believe no smart and experience person would want to work for that style of management.

Pleasant place to work with great pay

Owners value their team and pay accordingly. The pay is better than what other similar jobs suggest. But with a great pay comes responsibility. It is not a kind of job you can slack at. You will be occupied all the time. Workplace culture is strict but reasonable. For example, you're not allowed to have a cell phone on you during your shift so you stay focused. The environment is great to work in. The space is beautiful, music is very pleasant, which makes a shift pass by unnoticably while you're kept busy. Tasks vary, so if you're not feeling your best one day - you can do easier ones.Management is very straight-forward and easy to reach. If you have any questions or concerns - they are always there to answer and guide you. Respect company policies, adjust yourself according to the briefings and you'll be a long-term employee.

Pros

Free food and unlimited drinks every shift

Good People

I worked at Simit & Chai for just over a year as a barista, then became a manager before I left for a position in my own field. The owners have an immense amount of knowledge in their products. They are always there to answer any questions you may have and have an incredible relationship with their customers, which makes working as a barista much easier. Pay was great ($19/hr including tips as barista and $22/hr as manager). If you own what you do, it is a great place to grow.

Great Place to Work

Beautiful customers, fast paced environment. All that you need if you’re working in this field managers are very hands on and listen to your needs. They are always around to answer any questions you may have. The space is beautiful which creates a great work environment.

The worst place to work

To sum up, the worst place I’ve worked in my life. The worst and amateur management poor in structure and knowledge, but very well structured in the short temper and mood of managers. They want people who work fast, qualified and experienced, they make a lot of promises, they say they are in the improvement phase but time goes by and they don’t give a minimum of structure, pay late payment everything is only in the promise, so they start to underestimate the quality of the work, putting defect in everything that is done, making employees feel a embarrassed, uncomfortable and humiliated.

Horrible and abusive managment

During my training shift - my first shift - I was left alone in the shop to train myself. I called the manager to ask if I had the correct date for my training shift. It was confirmed that yes it was and that I should train myself by doing the job asked of me. They had a "training manual" which I was instructed NOT to use because of outdated information. You do NOT get breaks, even if you've worked over 5hrs. Not even bathroom breaks when working alone. I was told this job was $19/hour during the interview. Once hired I learned it was $14/hour + tips. The tips go to the managers, then the foh staff, and NONE go to boh staff. Pay cheques were always late. You are expected to work past your shift has ended without pay compensation. A staff member was hurt on the job while a manager was there and they tried to convince them it never happened, while the staff member was bleeding in front of them. When asked about video footage of the incident we were told camera footage of the event was "mysteriously deleted" Management will make you feel awful, confused, and embarrassed. They have cameras everywhere and will call the store to yell at you if they see something they don't like. (i.e taking bathroom breaks, making too much dip coffee etc)

Terrible Place to Work

Simit & Chai is probably the worse place I ever worked. The management is terrible, they humiliate the employees, making you fell bad for doing nothing wrong. Somedays they will not even talk to you or look at your face, you can never know what is their mood. The salary is unfair and too low for a King St business and for all the stress. There is always missing ingredients, so either you will not be able to finish it or they will ask you to buy it in the grocery store(in the middle of your shift). The place has cameras that could make the employees fell safe, but many times the management call to ask about something that, for example, your doing or holding(which means that they are spying at you in the cameras), making you fell embarrassing and unconfortable. The only good part of this company is the customers, they are super friendly and nice. My personal experience there was terrible and I wouldn't recommend this place for no one. The owners/managers need to learn how to treat their employees.

Micromanaged workplace with no opportunity of growth

The location is nice but the management is very moody, you never really know what you're going to get when you walk in. They encourage you not to speak with your coworkers which makes a full time job quite stressful. The hardest part was having knowing that 50% of your tips from foh are split between the owners and yourself and boh gets no tips at all. The most enjoyable part is definitely the regulars they are usually very friendly. If you get a break you are not allowed to leave the shop and have to take orders when someone does come not allowing you to take a break at all.

Pros

free lunches

Cons

short hours, micromanaged, no chance of growth or a raise

Loved the customers

Enjoyed working with the customers, management needs alot of work. Management was short tempered and treated employees with little respect. They fed alot of promises with little turnout.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simit & Chai Co.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8