SIMCOE MUSKOKA DISTRICT HEALTH UNIT

SIMCOE MUSKOKA DISTRICT HEALTH UNIT Employee Reviews

Canada11 reviews
Although work-life balance and mental health are promoted, it is not well supported. Agency agendas take precident over employee mental health and safety. Human Resource department is dysfunctional.
Pay is good, but HR and management dysfunctional. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Training of newer employees is poor, sometimes left to staff who are also new, or job insecure, therefore not providing good training. Inconsistent training methods. Busy days, good scope of tasks, great variety of job duties.
Pros
Good pay, good hours, excellent work experience gained
Cons
Everyone is job-insecure, staff suspicious of management, always having to watch what you say, and to whom, inconsistency with procedure, frontline staff are miserable, poor upper management
I have only worked with the SMDHU on a casual basis thus far, but my experience has been an enjoyable one where you look forward to going to work. The public health and wellbeing is truly their primary concern.
Pros
There is a distinct emphasis on quality that encourages best practice implementation, positive interactions, and a strong work ethic.
Cons
Recent govt cutbacks may impact above
I loved working here. The job was very casual and laid back. I would have wished for more hours however when I was working, I felt strong connections with my bosses and managing team. This job really helped me enhance my leadership and communication skills as the entirety of my role was situated around confidently talking to strangers.
Pros
Great experience and staff
Cons
Very few shifts
Good place to work - good management. Good work / life balance. Employees enjoying working at the agency. Good training and inservices that involve all employees.
There are amazing co-workers to work with.
The hours are good and everyone is very supportive if you need help or clarification with anything.

Make sure you know the rules of the health unit (all the fine print) and make sure you follow it closely as not to get on the wrong side of management.

Can be fast and slow paced depending on the time of year but there is always work you can find to be done.

This is one of those jobs you get and want to hold onto as its a great one!
Pros
great group of people to work with, lots of independence, you learn a lot! The pay is great.
Cons
Management and other departments don't communicate well together, so you really have to be your own voice, make sure you are following your supervisors requests above others, mostly contract as opposed to permanent
I feel that with all of the guidelines and policies that are in place, it makes the company a very structured company. Everyone that works here is happy and loves the job that they are doing.
Pros
hours, co-workers
An educational and inspirational workplace with new and exciting challenges. A place where one grows and develops individually by learning new information. Opportunities to share and learn from co-workers and become an asset to the team. Management is respectful of the needs of the employee and provides direction and leadership. The hardest part of the job is meeting all the needs of the client while the most enjoyable part of the job is feeling rewarded by helping direct and guide them to reach their own potential.
Pros
Learning the newest research on parenting.
Cons
Driving in challenging weather conditions.
This sub office unfortunately closed. The office was a enjoyable place to work as the other co-workers were like family. I was able to apply administrative skills as well as assist with preparation of materials in the warehouse.
Great place to work. Great people. Little room for advancement. Depending on the department they prefer to hire external. A lot of red tape when trying to move forward with projects.
Encourage partnerships with community partners. Great learning experience when dealing with public and community agencies.

Although days seem busy and number of projects increases every year, the agency has a very slow pace due to revisions, micromanagement, and multiple approvals before implementing interventions.
Pros
Great benefits and work hours flexibility.
Cons
Many micromanagers.
Typical day included, document preparation, minute taking, maintaining website for Healthy Schools and Healthy Communities programs.
The hardest part of the job was managing 3 programs at the same time.

Management support was not great, most support came from co-workers.

The most enjoyable part would definitely be the team of co-workers I worked directly with, very friendly and supportive.
Pros
Great pay and benefits, friendly co-workers
Cons
Poor management