Simcoe County District School Board Employee Reviews

Ecclectic work environment
ECE Teacher (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON8 March 2019
It was a fun place to work. It was a team environment with many opportunities to build on current knowledge. The staff worked as a team and you always had others to rely on.
Pros
the staff
Cons
layed off
support for innovation
Environment and Energy Systems Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Midhurst, ON18 January 2019
Something different every day.
Many opportunities to be creative and innovative.
Personality management is the most difficult part of the day.
In this position, there are not many/no advances in the department.
Great staff and support for innovation and creativity (within the budget).
Opportunities for PD.
Pros
opportunities for pd and support for creativity
Cons
no room for advancement
Great Support Staff,
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ON29 November 2018
I truly enjoyed my volunteer experience there. The staff is extremely supportive and welcoming. I found and gained valuable experience that I will be able to take going forward with me.
Compassionate work place
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON12 October 2017
I work full time at SCDSB and hope to continue in that capacity as the years progress. The board emphasizes collaboration and innovation, and I believe that these have, in turn, improved my professional skills.
Great positions
Supply Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  various locations in Simcoe County9 October 2017
I was a supply office administrator for the school board in elementary and secondary schools in Simcoe County. As I was a supply, I did not know what school I would work at from day to day. This was a bit tricky for finances. I loved working with the teachers, students and administrative staff at a variety of schools. A permanent position with this company would have been wonderful.
I liked my job an loved my holidays.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 September 2017
I arrived early to work, wanted to be ready to teach Management was great, operated a revenue generating program which solved many operational issues.
Pros
salary, benefits, pension, staff and especially the students.
Cons
None, I am a problem solvers., Failure is not an option. I want to exceed customer/student expectations.
Positive and rewarding
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON27 July 2017
I love working with kids and for the school board. It is a rewarding job. Working in schools helps to keep me positive in my own personal life. I also enjoy going into schools and helping to make a positive change in the children's lives.
Great Experience
Student Trustee (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON7 July 2017
Loved working with the School Board. I learned a lot about the education system and got to work with many superintendents and sit in the chamber for board meetings on a regular basis
Very busy
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON19 June 2017
constant calls even for supply educational assistants. only downfall so far that I have experienced is some educational assistants, teachers, principles and vice-principles treat you as second class.
Great System
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Itinerant6 June 2017
Social skills lessons, Trauma based counselling, One on One support throughout difficult times, program implementation, crisis management, suicide prevention. You have to be on your feet a lot and ready for any situation that comes your way. I love working with the kids ! The hardest part is adapting to environments where you may not have originally wanted to work in.
Simcoe County District School Board (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON25 May 2017
The company is great to work for, good salary and benefits, but the management has a hard time communicating with the rest of the team and being a team member.
love it
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 March 2017
best place to work very busy people are friendly. feel always welcomed at each school. lots of work is in this area so you get a lot of hours. love it
employment
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Lowell, ON4 March 2017
Typical day was 830-4 working with children with special needs. The environment was different in each school. The school I was at was a team approach with support from administration. It was a great 14 years.
Progressive institution with opportunity for advancement
Supervisor Of Custodial Services (Former Employee) –  Barrie and area28 February 2017
In my job with the SCDSB I encountered many different situations and people, from school staff to public(parents) as well as contractors and suppliers. This exposure gave me a very rounded experience in dealing with people, communications, and ability to work in a quickly changing environment.
Pros
Good rapport with many types of people
Cons
On call 24/7
first job
Student Technician (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON28 February 2017
first job did sound and lighting in highschool always enjoyed it and learned lots to help prepare me for working once I was finished school recommend people get involved
Proactive Work Environment
Supply Educational Assistant/Supply ECE (Current Employee) –  Midhurst, ON26 February 2017
Proactive work environment. Always busy working with the students and staff going on outings and such. Great team work.
Pros
Team work
Always supply work, advancement hard
Designated early childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Worsley Public Schoool28 December 2016
I have supplied for 3+ years, as a DECE. Advancement is hard.
I have applied to many jobs. Received one interview. There is a A, B , C list and it is quite hard to get onto the B.
I have worked in one school for longer than 4 months (which if hired as an LTO for 4 months min, you can be put into the LTO hire list- aka the B list) but I was considered an occasional supply the whole time while the school waited to have to post a position and hire from the A and B lists.
Where this was a favour to me to keep me in the position, I ended up being bumped out after Christmas.
Loved the time I spent, and gained much experience and contacts throughout the year.
Eduational Assistant
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Angus, ON10 November 2016
Love my job. I love helping others in discovering their ability to learn. I've learnt to keep things in perspective and focus on the positives of my job.
I receive no hours
Supply Custodian (Current Employee) –  Midhurst, ON25 February 2016
My typical day at work is cleaning bathrooms and school halls.
I enjoy working with this company however I do not get any calls as I am casual.
Flexibility Welcomed
SUPPLY EA & DECE (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 March 2015
I enjoy being a supply EA and DECE because I get to choose where I can go and who I work with. The variety allows me to interact with different students and teachers and I feel that I am receiving a great learning experience. By supplying, I am introduced to different students with all kinds of behavioural and developmental challenges and I welcome the challenge and experience of working with new students all the time. I am always welcomed by the staff in the schools and treated as an equal.