Simcoe Community Services

Simcoe Community Services Employee Reviews

Simcoe Community services

Shift work, great staff, scheduled shifts and able to get lots if work. Difficult to get time off for personal appointments,and if an activity is cancelled due to weather or sickness; if you do not work , you must use vacation or leui time.

Not a good place to work

The pay and benefits are decent. The environment and management are terrible. The actual job is great but it's a toxic work place and management refuses to deal with any issues brought forward. You are actually reprimanded which causes staff to just keep issues quite and never bring them forward. They like to sweep things under the rug and hush any negative attention. You quickly learn it's all about money and a positive image not the people that live in the homes which should be the main priority. As long as they look good to the ministry and on paper they don't care about anything else. Problem staff are just moved around and never written up or fired. You will be given barely any notice (2 weeks) and your entire schedule and location of work can be switched. They don't consider the mental health of staff and don't provide any additional training. You are expected to drive huge wheelchair vans with zero training on safety. You provide medical care that you are taught by staff that have little professional training themselves such as g-tubes and colostomy bags. Staff burn out and compassion fatigue is rampant and no supports are in place to help. Most staff stay here due to the pay being higher than other similar jobs in the field not because they enjoy the agency. You've been warned.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Everything else other than pay and benefits

co workers are amazing

stressful placement with minimum help from management. clients make the job worth the stress. Many different personalities, and care needs. Confusion with staffing hours and competency

not a currently positive environment in acommadations

I enjoy the people I support at Empower Simcoe but the current morale of the staff and the difficulties with the scheduling department make it difficult to maintain positive energy on a day to day basis

Pros

the people we support are wonderful

Cons

scheduling, managemnt

A valued community based agency

An agency that provides valued supports for people with developmental and intellectual delays. Assisting people supported with special services, helping people receive financial assistance as needed.

Pros

Interaction with the clientele supported by the agency

Support worker

Person centred care is the culture at SCS. Hours are long pay is low. But experience and meaning work is rewarding. Gain valuable experience by working with people with a variety of needs.

Pros

Rewarding career choice

Cons

Long hours, low pay

Day on the job

When you start working here everyone is friendly and positive. They tell you the ins and outs of the job. You also get to take your clients around the city in the community van. You can also build relationships with clients. This is a great place to work, I enjoyed it very much.

Pros

meeting people and working with a great staff.

Cons

Distance from home.

na

I enjoyed many, many lovely experiences over several years of employment and have lasting friendships in spite of mismanagement of their most amazing staff.

Lots of educational opportunities and shifts

New to SCS, but good so far. Staff have been kind, helpful and welcoming. Variety of hours to work but that will help keep things interesting. Starting wage is $21.89.

Pros

Variety of locations to work, outings with those you support

Management need to wake up!

Very hard place to work when it is being staffed a considerable amount of time by a temp agency that sends unqualified and unmotivated staff. Management is not supportive of their staff. It appears people we support are now back to being numbers not people.

Pros

Wages

Cons

Lack of support and respect from management in most aspects

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Simcoe Community Services?

Job Review

Pay was good, crazy hours Good staff, but likes to over work their employees. The job environment is good Provides paid training for staff such as first aid

Flexible hours

Great work, fulfilling and competitive wages. Would highly recommend as part time supplemental income. Diverse range of jobs available.Positive upbeat work environment.

Such an Amazing place to work!

This is an amazing organization and every person who works there has a heart of gold. I cannot say enough about it. It is friendly and inclusive and so much fun. Every day is an adventure. If you love working with people with disabilities this is the place for you

Wonderful coworkers

There are a lot of fun and amazing coworkers. Very supportive staff and very enjoyable people to support. I love the new challenges that I get to overcome everyday.

Pros

Amazing coworkers

Cons

No comment

why

this company needs to focus on their staff and clients more and not on the bottom dollar.. They are getting to big to fast and are going to start falling apart at the seams

Pros

the clients

Cons

the management

A very rewarding job

This Agency has been around for over 65 years and we help support people with intellectual disabilities. The job I do is managing the purchasing duties to get the people things that they need for everyday usage and to help make their lives better. My coworkers are a great bunch of people to work with. The hardest part of the job is trying to keep up with the work load, and finding enough hours in the day. The team here really work hard together to get the tasks done. I am the only one that is specifically works in purchasing and I have to stay very organized on tasks so that everything gets done. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the people that we help support and that they are doing well living anyone of the 40 group homes that we run.

I was a Student

They treat students wonderfully, train and educate them with what they need to know. Overall a wonderful establishment

Supporting people in the community with Special needs

A very caring and interactive career. The people I supported were absolutley wonderful. The staff were supportive as well. The hardest part of the job was figuring out fun and interesting activities that all people supported would enjoy. The most enjoyable part of my job was helping people supported to achieve daily and long term goals, and seeing smiles on their faces and hearing their laughter throughout the day.

Pros

Contributing to the happiness in the people I supported and staffs lives

Cons

It was hard not to have an emotional attatchment to the people I supported, and it was difficult when I was transferred to different group homes within the agency

Great opportunities for training

Staff are totally trained for the needs of the individuals and the agency

Case Management

Helped clients to develop their independent daily living skills in accordance with their individual care plan. Provided care for people who have complex and challenging needs in terms of their behaviour and emotional, psychological, and developmental well-being. Assisted clients with paying bills, reading, meal planning, cleaning, medicine management.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Heart breaking at times

Great Summer Job, great hours, lost of fun, very rewarding and challenging

Worked at Youth In Action Day Camp. 8:45-4:14 (no lunch break)Supervised 4 youthWorked with 3 other staff members in Barrie, 2 in OrilliaGreat Supervisor and Managers - very easy to talk to

Pros

some free meals, meeting new people, great references and life long experiences, great staff support

Cons

can be stressful at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simcoe Community Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement