Sil Industrial Minerals

Sil Industrial Minerals Employee Reviews

Canada15 reviews
They take a vantage of their employees management sucks if they got rid of all management the place would do really good they stab you in the back and they screw their employees over with their paycheques all the time if they’re not missing days on your check they’re taking money away because their payroll screwed up she doesn’t a screw for your employees she screws her customers as well so unsafe doesn’t matter how windy it is they’re doing a crane lift or does it matter how cold it is outside hurry up and get the job done don’t worry about warming up just get the job done always shorthanded stuffs not even welded properly and you’re working on it so very unsafe don’t recommend it at all been there for over five years and never anything got better don’t give you no notice when they cut your hours but then when they want you to pick up extra shifts expect you to do it always give you grief when you ask for holidays nobody’s trained properly to do their job everybody wants to be the superhero they expect you to help people that should know what they’re doing they’ve been there for 10 years So if I can warn anybody please stay away
Horrible management, horrible work environment, safety nonexistent you always have to check paystub they always have mistakes on them also when it comes to maintenance your just set up for failure because everything is just slapped together do yourself a favour stay away!!!
12 hour shifts and I was told not to expect more than a 20 minute lunch, and on busy days not to expect any breaks. Very shorthanded.

Was put on the roof to clean off sand on a 35 degree day, alone. Couldve passed out and nobody would have known for a while. No buddy system or communication.

Respirators are refurbished ?????????????

Told to do jobs I specifically voiced I am uncomfortable with. EX) Maintenance as a labourer, climbing high structures without fall protection

Heard a story about someone showing up with covid, OTL laughed about it.

Cannot put enough emphasis on how dirty it is there.

Not given proper PPE for jobs. Was told in interview PPE is supplied on site, they gave me a hardhat and a vest and told me to go to use an air wand to clean up sand piles. Ruined my clothes and ate sand all day.

Was given a 40 minute walk around my work area (dry plant) and then was expected to know where everything was.

Asked on day two to climb an elevator to replace a belt, when I refused I got an eye roll and attitude from the person training me. Jokes were made later that I was afraid of ladders. More afraid of doing maintenance work with 0 experience and causing an incident.

Do not work here unless you want to feel extremely unsafe or get a cushy job.
Pros
None.
Cons
See above.
Untrained management / crews leads to a unsafe work environment . All EWP lifts where deemed unsafe for operation when finally pushed safety for inspection. Multiple injuries pushed under the rug on a daily basis . If you reported every injury at SIL and SURWAY you would run out of printer paper . People who
Report safety are quickly dealt with as being a problem and promptly told

To leave mine site . Someone had reported to ohs and the company response from Management was to lock the welders outside in the cold until the person who reported came out. Workers often cut off LOTO tags and dive into mechanical/electrical gear without tickets or training . Drunk heavy equipment operators operating at night shift on the regular . If You have to work there make sure you have bulletproof life insurance prior to doing so . Expect to work outside on ungrounded steel structure during lightning storms .
In all my years of working this has to be the worst place I have ever worked. The site is unsafe and the risks they put on staff is horrible. If you refuse to do unsafe work you might as well start looking for another job as they will find a way to get rid of you. It is unfortunate that management are the way they are as it could be a good place to work. The management are disrespectful to their employees and very unprofessional. All in all a very disappointing experience.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Poor management and unsafe work conditions
Hard work when it has. Otherwise you may be sitting home for months. Doesn't worth moreover rates are worst in the market. Dispatch don't know what they do. Manager don't know how to manage.
My time spent at sil had left with mixed feeling the employees were great and the work for the most part was easy, but the management and formans were what made the job tough to enjoy.
Micro managed. Employees are not allowed to do their job without constant criticism. Management does not trust anyone. Staff onsite are great to work with but the management is difficult to work for. There is a lot of turn over because of this.
A typical day at Sil Industrial Minerals is fast Paced and lots to learn.
I learned how to load trucks with Sand.

Management is Great.

The workplace Culture is open and friendly.
I was hired as an apprentice electrician, typical day to day duties of maintenance. My journeyman was not competent in the field he was hired for. His employment was terminated and he was not to be replaced. Management figured I was good enough not realizing without a Journeyman I was no longer to perform my duties as an apprentice.
if you enjoy making decent money then this is the place for you! unfortunately if you're looking to have a social life outside of work then certain job positions wont make you jump for joy. Safety in my opinion is shot out the window. best part of the job is you meet some pretty cool people. you're also constantly learning new things and pushing your limits
just dont complete rip off company , always being cheap and trying to be cheap with pay expect you to work non stop for a completely useless salary , do yourself a favor and stay away
Was a good place to work, the hours were really long and that did not give me a good work life balance. They gave me the opportunity to learn a lot of good skills.
fun place to work at everyone there was awesome to work with the work was good had work all year round the hours were good to was there for a year + and loved it there
Pros
great people to be around
Cons
the safety and management wasnt the greatest
people were nice and there was always something new to learn, if you didnt like something there was other options for you. lots of labour work and physical things to do, which i enjoyed. the people were extremely nice and understanding