Sifton Properties

Sifton Properties Employee Reviews

Canada27 reviews
I just completed 7 months at the Waterloo Senior's Apartments as a housekeeper and loved it.
If you are wide awake and able to do everything on the list for the day while being careful around fragile elderly people who love to chat..you can love this job!

All the departments: kitchen, servers, psw, nurses, fitness, activities, cleaners, sales and maintenance try to Co operate to serve two huge buildings full of a variety of residents.

After a year, the pay and perks get better a bit at a time so it's a good employer if you want long term.

New Food Management recently.

Nice Wellness, excersise rooms and day trips.

New buildings, easy to clean and happy vibe!
Pros
Cooperation between departments
Cons
first year is the worst-getting your pace.
When I worked here it seemed like management was always fighting with the employees. They seemed to always have a problem with scheduling and their staff. It is difficult to book off time for simple things.
I will say it was the best experience to work with this company, good management, good wages, good safe environment. People who work here are respectful
Do not recommend. Toxic work environment. Promises are not followed through with. Will hire someone with no experience and pay the same as someone who has been there for 1 year.
Do not do it. It is a private company, wages will forever be low. Management gossips and treat you as if they are better than you. There is no empathy no matter what your situation is. You will not be treated with respect, know your rights and labour laws. Everyone is replaceable and they will let you know. Employees are miserable when management is around.
Pros
The residents are great
Cons
Management is unfair, head office turns a blind eye
There's no communication between staff and management. Going above and beyond is pointless in the retirement sector. Anything positive you do goes unnoticed but they sure like to point out your shortcomings. Working there drains the life and enthusiasm. They hire people with no skill level and set them up for failure. The residents pay top dollar and the quality is declining rapidly. Rules only apply to certain people. It's unionized so the lazy employees are protected while the professionals are always scrutinized. That's why they leave to go work elsewhere. When problems arise, you are left to deal with it. Managers and supervisors are useless and give no guidance. The person who's in charge of the retirement sector should be fired. All of Sifton's retirement properties are struggling to find staff and hold on to them. There is no staff appreciation. If you need any proof of this, just ask anybody that is or has worked in the retirement part. I guess the West 5 is there main focus and nothing else matters. If only the residents knew how the employees are mistreated and are extremely frustrated with the lack of support from managers and supervisors.
Pros
The residents are very kind
Cons
To many to list
I have been working with Sifton for 7 years and have enjoyed my time. You're always doing something different day to day which keeps you interested and motivated for what's next. Management is always willing to help any problem and you learn so much day to day whether it is from all the experienced staff working around you, or them sending you to a course to help educate you in your career. Some jobs you wake up dreading going to work but that has never happened to me while working for Sifton.
Pros
Family feel
Sifton has a very positive work culture and has a high standard when it comes to their homes, rental units and commercial properties. Employees are encouraged to be social with customers, to share new ideas and to work together as a team. Sifton also has a great reputation in the community because of their charity and community work; working here you have the opportunity to volunteer and give back which makes a big difference in your day to day. The company is also growing quickly, so there are new job opportunities and the company is supportive if you want to apply for new roles.
Pros
Supportive Managers, Fun place to work, Room to Grow
Nursing is a very busy and rewarding role and getting to know the people and providing exception customer experiences in the Retirement Home gives you a sense of purpose each day. We work well as a team in Wellness to ensure quality care is provided and all resident needs are met. Its great to know that I have the support of the other Managers and my team as a whole. I believe that this is truly a great place to work and would recommend Sifton Properties to others for employment. Seniors have so much fun here and you will too.
Sifton always has been a great company to work for with lots of room for growth and tons of opportunity. They not only care about their employees but their residents and customers as well. They always give back to their employees and encourage them to volunteer within the community as well as workplace initiatives. Work-Life balance is supported and encouraged. The benefits you receive while working with Sifton are fantastic.
The best part about the job is that everyone works together to accomplish tasks. You know that you will have support with tasks that require a lot of assistance and that is always comforting to know.
Pros
Good working environment
A typical day at work includes being told what you’re doing wrong instead of showing you how to fix the problem. Everyone is in cliques and helps those within their friend group. Seemed like all of the good workers got in trouble and dealt with questionable consequences and the ones who wouldn’t follow rules would never get dealt with. The manager would never speak up for herself, instead got supervisors to drop what they’re doing to tell staff information that the manager could have done herself. Very disappointing place to work.
Pros
Great serving experience
Cons
Double standards and lack of encouragement from management
There are different divisions of this company. Most are overall run well and consistently, but retirement is the exception. Problems are systemic from the executive on down. Constant bullying, gossiping and back stabbing runs rampant, although executive act like they are Teflon. Staff think the CEO should be taking a long hard look at why so many are unhappy.
Many other reputable companies you could work for before thinking about this one.
Pros
Some good areas of this company
Cons
Toxic retirement management
Worked mostly day shifts with a few evening shifts we preparing food for seniors. Learnt a lot while working there, making sauces, soups, making breakfast some of many things taught.
Very good training provided by my supervisor.

Even with ESL they were very patient and answered all questions and took time to show me how to properly do things and be more efficient in my job, learnt a lot of new cooking methods and better knife skills

Lots of work to be done in a day, very fast paced days fly by evening time shifts are alot slow paced and alot less work involved found lots of talking and fun times had at night would have preferred to have had more work during my evening shifts lacked direction

Great place to work and good people to work for definitely would recommend
Pros
Good place to learn, and work
Cons
short staffed alot
Overall a decent company to work for. Shift hours are alright. As an FSW responsible for food preparation for different services. When hired you will be told one thing schedule wise but then it will slowly be bent and turn into completely different hours. no consistency.

Very hard to make residents happy. Constant complaints and negative comment towards kitchen staff, but since they pay so much to live there nothing really can be done.

Some of the supervisors working there act like the own the place because they have been there the longest. Things not done their way? Then you are made to feel 2 inches tall, you are talked to down to. Passive aggressive notes will be left for you. Changing things around to benefit them but no one else. With management aware of these types of behaviors one would think they would be dealt with, but they continue on contributing to a negative and toxic atmosphere.

Most enjoyable part are the hours. Lots of gossiping unfortunately.
Pros
good hours, some good people
Cons
Everyones the boss, changing their word, no management support
Have worked for Sifton for over twenty years and still love my job and the company. They have a good culture and really support their front line staff through training and safety.
Open door policies mean you have access to managers for discussions.

I find they are always updating holidays,work boot allowances and policys to stay in touch with the industry.

There has been a lot of change in the company and manager changes and I can honestly say these last few years have been the best years so far. We are encouraged to be creative and grow yourself and your job.

I work outside and we get provided with a great clothing for the job. Golf shirts, winter coats, gloves etc.

Fantastic work place,great culture, super people to work with and for!!!!!
Pros
Free lunches. Great work hours. Rewards program.
As with any large company, you're bound to find good bosses, and not so great bosses; awesome teams and so-so teams etc.... what I can say about Sifton is that from the top, this company is ran with a respect for it's employees, a genuine interest in the betterment of the community and overall appreciation for what everyone brings to the table. Awesome culture with a work hard and play hard culture is promoted. Lots of perks and genuinely, the best place I've ever worked. Not every Sifton location is the same but most are absolutely amazing. If you get the chance to join this team - take it!
Pros
Benefits, Work Culture, Work-Life balance
Sifton is a company that truly cares about it's employees and customers. Sifton is innovative and growing rapidly. They constantly keep employees in the know. Giving back to the community has always been part of Sifton's history and staff are continuously finding new, creative ways to give back with the support and participation of Management. Like any company, we work hard to accomplish our goals and certainly take time to celebrate our achievements as a team. There are so many opportunities and Sifton works hard to develop and educate employees to ensure they reach personal and professional success. I am a long way from retirement, but, I can honestly say it's a place I strive to end my career at.
Pros
Volunteer Opportunities, Team Gatherings, Events, Family Oriented
I've worked at Sifton just over 2 years now in the London area. My experiences have been positive as Sifton is made up of compassionate and professional team members and leaders that are thoughtful and generous with their time.

Sifton has a supportive family culture that encourages employees to give their best and they are rewarded accordingly. As an employee, I have the space to be creative in my role and serve our client base to the best of my capability.

Sifton encourages innovation and operates with an open and collaborative spirit. At Sifton, we learn something new everyday and are encouraged to live, work and play.
Pros
Innovation, collaboration, creativity and fun!
Cons
Nil
terrible place to work. the entire full time staff was toxic and caused gossip and arguments to take place during work hours. no matter how many problems get brought up to management nothing will be changed. residents pay top dollar for good food and get let down
Pros
hour lunch
Cons
manahger
The management is mediocre at best. I worked here for almost 3 years, and it started off poor and only got worse the entire time I was there. Always short on staff, short on supplies. Seniors paying a premium to live here and getting bare minimum in terms of services and products. The management is completely incompetent in recognizing the issues- or they do recognize them and choose to do nothing. And my personal favourite, was all the nepotism. Starting with the general manager who is best friends with the regional manager, or the general manager who’s daughter worked the front desk. Different rules apply to different people at sifton. They expect you to make your whole life about them when management treats you like you’re disposable. Head office knows there is a problem at this specific location but no one seems invested in figuring out why there’s such a high turnover rate.