SIENNA SENIOR LIVING Employee Reviews

I honestly would give 0 stars.
Server (Former Employee) –  Arnprior, ON14 March 2019
I worked at the Arnprior location. The residents were amazing, super sweet and friendly. I quit because of management, they all talk down to you and make you feel worthless, and they constantly yell at you for no good reason. The GM no longer works there, but it’s mainly the kitchen manager who acted all nice my first two weeks and then completely flipped and treated me and everyone else like absolute garbage!! Nurses and PSWs are super nice though!!
Pros
Free lunch. That’s the only good thing, food was gross though
Cons
Management was TERRIBLE.
Great Management
Associate director of care (Former Employee) –  Elmira, ON6 March 2019
Great Management and well organized
Job description changes which can be difficult
Having same mindset and end goal
Working with like minded people
Pros
Working with great staff and management
Cons
Hours
A step below welfare
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Perth, ON8 February 2019
Lowest possible pay in the industry, there are people who have been working for 10+ years and still make minimum wage. They expect you to work extreme hours and you're constantly short staffed. Benefits only exist if you're in one of the very few full time positions, even if they make you work more hours than someone on full time there is no chance of any sort of benefits. They make you responsible to log into their broken computer system to monitor your own pay or they just won't give it to you. Hours upon hours of annoying mandatory education that you don't get paid for. Double standards are everywhere and management deffinitly plays favourites. No premium for night shifts and they have no problems quilting you into working in excess of 16 hours in a day. Working literally every day in a 2 week pay period might net you 4-5 Hours of overtime pay. Upper management are idiots and just sit back and make demands to put on extra work load while also cutting back staff and resources to the point you can barely fulfill your job duties. 0 compassion for people's personal lives, if you need time off to collect yourself or you have a bad injury or sickness you will be punished for it. Could honestly go on for hours with nothing posa5ive to say so just save yourself the trouble and apply at McDonald's or go on welfare as you d be far better off.
Pros
Cons
Unrealsitic expectations, poor management, low pay, loads of workplace drama
Do not jeopardize your reputation!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 January 2019
Plain and simple - stay clear! Awards are purchased and staff and residents are instructed to write positive google reviews! Management actually makes up positive reviews pretending to be residents! Senior leadership have no people skills except the ability to bully good team members out the door. Save yourself from making a very large mistake with your career and stay clear of this disaster of a very poorly run company.
Pros
Love the residents
Cons
Feel very badly for the residents and can’t believe the CEO is not aware
Good until building was bought by Sienna
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON21 January 2019
Management and staff alike are fired at the drop of a hat whether you've been there 5 minutes or 5 years.
Since Sienna took over the building staff morale is awful. No one knows if their job is safe.
They can't keep staff. If they do manage to get someone to apply, they'll work you to death. Calling you constantly. Sometimes asking 3+ times if you'll cover the same shift.
The building is falling apart. Very little upkeep is done because they can't make to keep maintenance staff on board.
Poor compensation.
Pros
Friendly residents
Cons
Low staff morale, company doesn't care about staff, p
Don't waste your time
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON6 December 2018
Don't waste your time applying here. Horrible place to work for. Management is horrible, very poor moral. No appreciation for any work that is being done.
Pros
Cons
poor management, a lot of call in's with staff, no appreciation
All the management are very bad, they are so disrespectful, the staffs are worse, family members are very rude, residents are so bad
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 November 2018
Overall the whole company is very bad. The management need more training on the roles and they also need more training how to communicate with their staffs.
Support is great
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON15 November 2018
No day is the same resulting in an exciting career choice, albeit with challenges. The job is what you make it. Work life balance is encouraged. Head office support is exemplary- sometimes support availability does not align with need.
Working with seniors is the most rewarding piece of the job and next working with the dedicated staff that serve this population.
As a manager there is freedom to manage within the policy framework and this is encouraged to meet the needs and desires of the client.
There are some challenges including attracting employees who are not familiar with this sector but who can take a break from their desk and join in a dance with a senior in the middle of the day!
Pros
Rewarding work
Fun, safe and rewarding
Recreation Aide Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 November 2018
The staff, volunteers and resident are always great to work with. I had never had a problem working at sienna living. I would also recommend many others to work there.
Dietary Aide
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON7 November 2018
I work as a Dietary Aide at the Ingersoll location. My boss is amazing and so accommodating. We have a really good team I would say. The residence are so lovely. By far my favorite long term care home I've worked in. I'm always happy to come work for these lovely people. Just like any job, some days can be hard; but overall I would say I typically have really good days here. I get descent hours considering I am a casual. I really do enjoy working here more than I thought I would. Cannot wait to spend years working here.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
short staffed
Great Corporate Culture and Very Supportive
Senior General Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 November 2018
There is great support across the company and high level of teamwork. There is also tremendous growth opportunities to grow and support for your advancement in your career. Very forward thinking company with passion and care where residents are always in the centre of everything.
Pros
corporate culture, career growth, passion and care
Management is horrible, worst I've ever seen
Nursing (Former Employee) –  owen hill, barrie2 November 2018
I worked at the Barrie Owen Hill location for years. It used to be ok until the current Executive Director/ Administrator came. She is awful, very unprofessional, gossips about staff loudly in the middle of the unit, bully's staff out the door. No one stays more than a year, staff turn over is very high and it's no wonder! If you're a Registered staff I would definitely stay far away from this place, I saw nurses being pressured into working double shifts all the time, and harassed if they ever said no. The office manager is the only decent manager.
Cons
No employee recognition, bullying, no support from management
Management is terrible
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON13 October 2018
Worked for the company for 5 years. Sienna only cares about making money. Management is never available to answer any concerns you have. Sometimes you are not paid for training and have to fight with hr to get money owed to you. Keep track of everything. Front line staff are only accountable for anything that goes wrong. No support from your management team. Resident care is rushed due to lack of staff or not filling shifts for people that take holidays. Orders for briefs have been forgotten and had to borrow from another home. Very poorly run facility.
Pros
Lovely residents
Cons
Poor management
Great Company - Winner 2017 Most Admired Corporate Culture
Support Services (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON2 October 2018
I have been with the company for around 5 years and have seen lot of growth in the company. Lot of employees get promoted. I see some other reviews talk about a culture of "not caring", frankly I have experienced the opposite. Great company to grow your career with.

The company won the 2017 Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures™, check it out at https://waterstonehc.com/cma/awards/winners/

As with any company focused on growth and continuous improvement there is a quite a bit on the go, so if you are willing to roll up your sleeves, work hard and get rewarded, this might be the place for you!
Great People
Support Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON28 September 2018
The people at Sienna make all the difference. I come to work each day to be surrounded by people who care, who strive to do the right thing for residents, team members. It is a great culture
Great management, team, and culture!
Support Services (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON28 September 2018
Management is always understanding of personal life. They put a lot of trust in their employees and always compliment a job well done.

The team is super friendly and always willing to help.

Flexible work hours.

Overall, a great place to work!
Great Place to Work
Support Services (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON24 September 2018
Great company, cares about it's employees. Lots of growth. Most people are there for a great cause, and want to give back, whether they are in Support Services, or the Communities/Residences directly. There has been lots of internal promotion during my time here. The CEO really cares about Sienna's employees, and really values their opinions. It's a hard industry to be in, given staffing issues, but Sienna really tries as an organization to go above and beyond.

The growth here has been incredible.
Pros
Quality of work life, the employees, the CEO, Flexibility, Goodlife Membership, Lots of Perks...
Cons
The industry pitfalls, short staffed, police checks when the government has not updated their database in years, but all industry rather than company related
No value and never be respect with their employees
Finance (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON7 September 2018
They make their employees feel no valued and have never been satisfied with their work . Sienna management and board would focus on how to make money from their residents and push employees work over 24 hours,.. most directors set these as their goals.

We have education allowance but they never approve except you are their favorite or relatives. Anyway, we do easy to find these in Sienna -- fake benefit, work unfairly and stingy bosses..

Penny-pinching and worst management ! Extremely, you are working in Operational Finance! Run away..
Pros
Good location
Cons
Greedy management, miserly, inequitable...
Not impressed
Recreation Director (Former Employee) –  Bobcaygeon, ON5 September 2018
I worked for Sienna for 3yrs in LTC management. I quickly learned that if you didn't "keep up with the Jones" then your hard work and achievements went unnoticed for the most part. Management in the Home were cliquey and unprofessional. Most of the staff on the floor were/are wonderful and are there because they love the residents, but most of the management team is there for the title and status. Wouldn't recommend this place to work or admit a loved one to live.
RUN and RUN fast
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tofino, BC5 September 2018
overall not happy place to be in ,,, lots of changes by the management, pressure is to high, deadlines are to close ,,long hours, no time for lunch brakes and expectations are to high ,, run!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SIENNA SENIOR LIVING. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7