Sienna Senior Living

Sienna Senior Living Employee Reviews

Featured review
Sienna Senior Living selected this as a representative review
Working for Sienna Senior Living was an amazing experience, Taking care of elderly people will always be a great pleasure for me. Helping people is a very rewarding job.
There is no security in the kitchener area place. Your hired not trained properly for your role so you look stupid to management. Ask questions don't get a answer staff plays head games. You're let go for doing more than expected. Every month there's another ad for the same role that I had and was let go. It's a joke there don't waste your time get a real job. I feel sorry for the residents there they see a new face every month and wonder how long there going to stay.
Pros
Residents are awesome!
Cons
No security
This place is horrible to work for if you're a student. There is favoritism and you are treated poorly. Management favors certain employee's. There is name calling and talking behind your back. Bullying by the older workers. Horrible place to work, I left in tears almost every shift.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Bullying, favoritism
Management in head office have no idea what they are doing and grossly under qualified. Change their minds all the time and do not care about the senior residents at the community level. If managers in a home stand up to head office, they will be immediately terminated without cause. Residents are bullied by the GM and VP to buy more services to increase profit. They do not care about the residents or staff. Staff are overworked and underpaid. Burnout for managers in communities is under a year due to the ridiculous amount of work dumped on them from head office. VP is extremely rude, only cares about making herself look better and makes poor decisions that effect the staff and residents negatively. Could not pay me enough to work for Sienna ever again.
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Cons
Hiring his friends and relatives. Everyone need to treat them as VP. It has a toxic impact on the work force. CFO promoted to be a CEO, no means you have an positive expectation.
Pros
Having a job
Cons
Long hours, unneccessary changes and poor working culture
As others have mentioned... The managers of Owen Hill are abusive, manipulative, burnt out ex-nurses who have no concept of what it means to work on the floor. The nursing staff that actually show up for their shifts are absolutely lovely and are the only thing keeping the place open. Gave job security 5 stars, because so many people call in, and the scheduling manager can't do her job so there is no shortage of shifts.
Pros
the smashed front door still works
Cons
everything but the working front door
Constantly SHORT staffed and over worked. There is NO job security due to the stories I have heard about the cause of other staff termination. The only break I got on most days was 15 minutes before the home's lunch time at 12 pm and the last hour of my shift when all the work was A red flag is when I asked the PSW who trained me about disciplinary action and said are verbal/written warnings given out? And her reply was, "They don't really do that here."Management blame staff for resident falls when it is THEIR fault due to shortage of staff. We need 4 staff MINIMUM (not including the nurse) on the floor on ALL shifts for 24 residents. Usually there is only 3 staff. 2 PSW and 1 CSA.The director of care and other management DO NOT know how to talk to staff. They are confrontational and full of attitude. They are aggressive and talk to staff as if they are beneath them in a condescending tone. When the d.o.c asked for my key card back, I said I didn't have it and she got out of her chair, closer towards the table where I was sitting and yelled in an angry tone, why didn't you bring it?! I kept my cool and said I can come back and return it today at reception. Then she sat back down and said it's ok. I can deactivate it.The job is stressful and super fast paced. The only positive aspect is my work team is supportive and open to communication. Management does not have your best interest at heart. They just provide the minimum required training based on the organization and Ministry requirements. The work culture is upper management bullying the staff members - more...
Pros
supportive team members, consistent schedule
Cons
over worked, underpaid, bad work culture, stressful
Loved the environment and work. Head chef who runs his kitchen is extremely difficult to work with no respect and yelling at employees just to do so. Prep cook was my position, truly wanted to stay employed here but could not work with the dis-respect given to ALL employees working in the kitchen
I have learned a lot regarding the medical facilities and get exposure to work with the highly educated staff. Workplace is very amazing while working with the colleagues.
I think the title says it all, thankfully I have a great career now, but they put me through the ringer. I was fired 1 week after disclosing my pregnancy without cause, the investigation went on for almost 3 months then another 2 with the labour board as they were trying to wait me out because obviously I would be too tired to fight when I'm about to give birth. They then came up with a very much disprovable reason for why they fired me (I still have my witnesses) but of course they purposefully waited until I was unable to do anything due to having a human life to care for. They of course fired the person who fired me for being pregnant shortly after, but you shouldn't work for them. They are a shady company. I feel bad for the residents and the staff.
Pros
You have a job
Cons
Literally everything
The chef there is bias and if you are sick then he get mad and threatens to fire you. There is one cook there who is a young man and he exposes himself to the servers and acts like a clown in the kitchen yet he is a one of the best cooks in the kitchen. Wouldn’t recommend anyone to work here.
Pros
Only two days a week.
Cons
Cannot get anymore shifts.
Four GM's in 6 months!!!! The company turnover was remarkable. Our VP for the region at the time was so incredibly unprofessional with zero leadership skills and was a first class bully. My colleagues were amazing. That was the one positive!
Pros
Free Lunches
Seriously don’t know how to start, but this will be a long review. For starters, there is an INCREDIBLE amount of work place harassment.. more so from the Scheduling Manager than anything. Dealing with this manager is next to impossible; she picks her favourites for sure. If you’re not a favourite, you will work more than you could possibly handle. I’m talking every weekend, week days, barely any time off to cover other staffs vacation while she denies yours. She will say one thing than do another or deny it, and if you bring it up infront of other management, she will have a full blown fit and call you a liar. She has no issue tearing staff down in order to make herself look better. If you are not a favourite and click in early or late, not only will she doc you 15mins from your pay, but she will threaten your position. If you call in sick for a valid reason, she will become angry at you, won’t speak a word to you for days. To put it simply, she will bully you and make any need of yours extremely difficult and unvalued, threaten you with your job even through it’s NOT her place, and will make having a life and other responsibilities outside of Owen Hill next to impossible. As for work place harassment between staff members, some will quite literally try sabotaging your job by making false accusations, just because they don’t like you. Verbal and Emotional harassment from certain individuals is constant and nearly unbearable. Shifts will sabotage shifts and slack off just because they think the “other shift can deal with it”, but will cry the blues to management if something - more...
Pros
Residents are incredible people
Cons
Management, Filthy Environment, Harassment
The Management team who are still there are not respectful and aren't trustworthy. They will discipline you as they please. The culture of the place has gone very downhill.
Pros
Cons
Untrustworthy, disrespectful
Management here is a revolving door. Someone new a couple times each year. Our most recent manager was awesome. Residents were no longer complaining to staff and he was good at bringing staff together even if the work sucks. Its been hard during this pandemic but our management was holding everyone together. Then I come into work I find out he has been let go. This place is awful. I have been here a long time hoping it will get better but every time its looking better more change happens and never for the betterment of the residence. HO doesnt have a clue what goes on here. No one ever talks to us or the residents when they come in for tours. We just keep the place running. Don’t worry about us. Pay us what we are worth.
3 registered staff are ruling this place . They been working there 20+ years. No support to new staff especially if you from agency.you will resign soon or they 3 will make it happen soon ir they 3 will make it happen. Terrible place to work. No support from any staff, they have groups and you get nothing but stress. A lot of it. Better you go and use your time for something good than working here.
Pros
No pros, if you crazy then go and work here
Cons
No enough words to write it.
it was great working at this place. The management and staff from other departments were very helpful. We had a good camaraderie. I would recommend this place.
During my typical workday, I am responsible for overseeing several payroll each day (processing different location) and ROE's. I check in with the facilities and help them with any issues they may be have with hours that the might not be captured in the hours file and provide a manual cheque etc. I learned working together with the management teams at the facilities makes it less stressful. Being micro managed Working together as a team and independently, providing excellent customer service.
The worst place to work....alwsys short of staff... hard to get a vacation, even if its emergency.recieving residents that they dont assess properly, so we end up of being abuse by the family or even the residents....work load is too much...and the management the worst...they dont listen to the workets complain...
When I first started at Island View Retirement, I loved my job. It wasn't run by Sienna Senior Living at the time. The pay was fair and workload was fine. The residents had good quality meals and the morale was much better. Seinna Living came i with a lot of promises, but absolutely did not deliver! The cut the food budvet, slashed wages and piled our work load. Would not recommend. Mangers were awful and everyone was always so stressed out.
Pros
Coworkers, residents
Cons
Bad management, heavy workload, food budget, stress
Awful. Don't waste your time! Completely clueless and corporate management are robbers. VP of operational finance can do whatever he wants. Disgusting company
Pros
Cons
Cheap, favouritism and stress workplace