Shoppers Drug Mart

3.2Pay & benefits

Found 1,052 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,268 reviews
martdrugsdmpharmacycosmeticstoredrugmartpharmaprix

Wages

Wages do not reflect the amount of work and customer service that is given. Staff is good to work with. Our store needs security due to a large amount of theft and unruly customers.

Easy and great to start as first job

The Staffs are nice here. Time very flexible. It is easy to arrange if having important things or being sick. Company Culture is great at least for being an cashier

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Minimum pay

Insights into Shoppers Drug Mart

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Management are good, company is bad

Shoppers is franchised so you can get good or bad Management depending on the store, however the company stopped caring about the staff years ago. There is no loyalty to the staff who has been there for a long time, the hours to actually complete the job have been cut multiple times over and the expectations are higher. The raises had a (low) cap set by corporate and the owners would be in hot water if the exceeded it. There has been more turnover this year(2022) than I can recall seeing in my 16 years with the company. If you are looking for a few hours to work while in school for extra money it isn't a terrible job but otherwise I would recommend looking elsewhere.

Pros

Discount is 30% or cost, whichever is higher

Cons

Expectations are crazy high especially for management, wages are low, customers are garbage

It was good until it last

Initially this company offered job stability if you plan to stay in the same role until retirement. Amazing perks if you can keep up doing the same role year after year.Management very rare supports development and career growth and if you tell them your plans you will be excluded. Company lacks of empathy and depending on the area, is not flexible, expect to work overtime without recognition.

Pros

good benefit package, discount at store

Cons

management does not support career growth, expect you to stay in the same role for the rest of your life

overworked

overworked for little money. if you liked getting yelled at for a 2 cent price difference then this is the place to work. discount only good for fragrance

Slow working environment

As a cashier, you don’t have much to do. There are not many customers in the stores so the job is more relaxed. The rushing hours are relatively short.

Pros

Small workload

Cons

Low pay, no shifts

Valued experience but requires improvement - And mentally taxing

The Positives: Good employee discount.Flexible scheduling, accommodating if you have a second job and/or studying. Cosmetic manager was a very good person to work for.You definitely will learn a lot, one of the most extensive places in terms of gaining knowledge and experience in the customer service field and on various products.Bonus goodies, such as gratis or gifted items.It was a bit touch and go at times, but the job security offered during peak times of Covid lockdowns was appreciated. This circumstance varies depending on stores since not all were the same that regard, but at least in this case it was favorable. The Negatives:High School setting and atmosphere. Double standards are rampant when it comes to penalizing workplace transgressions or offering rewards. Almost EVERYONE in the store gossips, badmouths and complains about each other behind their backs (Whether personally or work-related annoyances) but will act like best friends face to face with all the perks, backing, selfies and shallow faux preaching on kindness, praises, teamwork and community - with any aforementioned grievances not addressed or corrected and support uneven. And it is all ages that do this. There are or were some wonderful staff members and colleagues, but the former issue is significant and overshadows a lot. Employee of the Month is a joke, it is more of a popularity contest and less on actual merit. Nepotism is common. Turnover is very high. Some of the managers or supervisors over the years have been weak and/or have favourites, so discussing matters with them can be troublesome -

Benefits are the best thing about this job

You will always feel very under appreciated no matter how hard you work. The people who slack off get more recognition than the employees that actually work hard or do their jobs properly. It's very difficult to keep motivated while working here when the employers are constantly putting you down.

Pros

Benefits.

Cons

Schedule. Constant pressure.

Productive teams make the job worthwhile

Overall, the company expects quite a lot from underpaid employees. Management will keep anybody they can just under the cusp of full-time employment to avoid eligibility for health insurance. The bad apple employees get to stick around usually, since most of them happen to be hired as personal friends of management. You are not paid for time spent working, but rather for your time scheduled - staying late while being unpaid is a part of the job.

Pros

30% discount on items with at least 30% markups

Decent place to work

A typical day as Cash Manager for me was opening the store, working cash office and getting everything ready for the day. Afterward I was in the office balancing the daily deposits and doing daily cash counts/lottery inventory/sales. My store manager was awesome. She was encouraging and you could easily relate to her, very understanding and generally fun to work with. Workplace culture was O.K alot of gossip but that’s generally what goes on in a retail environment. I just kept to myself mostly and did my job properly and accurately. I feel like I could have been paid more honestly, the amount of responsibility daily did not reflect the pay in a management position. The supervisors that I oversaw daily were making a dollar less than me with way less responsibility. The yearly raises were a bit of a joke too. .20 cent raise even if you had zero complaints and exceeded your expectations in the position. Overall I liked the place, and the people I worked with.

A nice work place for Beginners

I got the job of beauty expert few years ago as my first job, I was a college student. The manager treated me really good, and my coworkers are all friendly to me, they taught me a lot even though I made a lot of mistakes at beginning. I know some reviews are complaining about the salary and management problem, but for me, I am so happy that I can get a job in Shoppers. The payment is not really high because I am just a student but it is totally enough to cover my food and living. The costumers sometimes are not that nice, it make me feel stressed sometimes.

Pros

Working Environment

Cons

Stressful Working experience

was okay

super stressful if you dont have a good management team. delegates all the work to workers. i worked part time so the only benefit you get is discount on your purchases.

Terrible company

They treat you like trash. Pay you bare mininum and expect you to work multiple positions constantly since they don't want to pay someone else to do the job.

Typical Customer Service Job

Shoppers Drug Mart is great at accommodating student hours and giving days off for exams and school requirements, if you are a student. The pay could be better and may have to be requested since annual raises are minimal. Expect to work weekends and evenings. Management has been pushing to get customers to use self-checkouts, which comes off as the opposite of customer service and makes staff look like the bad guy (instead of head office).

Pros

Flexible hours and easy to learn procedures/computer systems

Cons

Customers can make you not enjoy work

Fun place to work. Lenient managers, very fun to work with

I really loved the location I was working at in brampton. The managers were chill and so were my co-workers. It was a very diverse environment. We got new management and thats when everything went downhill.

Pros

gifts during holidays, potlucks, flexible hours

Cons

low hours at a point because of more self checkouts

Not an outstanding company to work for

They had a go go go culture very busy and pay was minimum wage. Very strict with their employees no benefits and did not enjoy working there very much.

Fun work place

I loved working in the cosmetics at shoppers! I was always happy working there. I would recommend to anyone looking to work there to go for it! It’s a great company with great benefits.

Opportunity to learn a lot of things within a short period of time.

Do not recommend this workplace. Very stressful… no breaks…No salary increase…Stressful.Long hours.. standing up all day… zero break time… night shifts…

Pros

Cons

No breaks

Productive and fun place to work at

supporting environment and flexible hours. The training was good and the coworkers were good. Not stressful environment and relatively good for a new hire.

Nothing special

It was a good first job and I found it easy to advance in the company but my promotions didn’t come with raises. I was basically working a more difficult job and getting paid the same as new comers after working there for 6 years

boring and low pay

just a boring store to work at. pay is low i got minimum wage as a cashier but one of my supervisors told me they were making below $16. manager lowkey has his favourites but is a nice guy in general. good hours initially but then you'll get asked to cover shifts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shoppers Drug Mart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement