Shoppers Drug Mart
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Shoppers Drug Mart Employee Reviews

Found 4,784 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,868 reviews

Family, fun feel with benefits

Incentives and more incentives just by doing your job. Great place to work. Gift cards for employees who get great surveys, always being with many available staff members who are always there to help you when needed.

Pros

Gift card lunches

Cons

Fluctuating shcedules

Retail, but worse

The location I worked at was great, until new management came in. You have zero job security, even if you're an exceptionally hard worker. They act like they care, but truly do not, you're simply a number they can replace overnight, and they make that well known.

Pros

30% discount except on dairy, electronics and medication and a couple other things.

Cons

Management, no job security, no shift stability

You mean nothing

You are considered expendable and no more than a working mule. They expect you to work overtime for free on a regular basis (they won't ask you to, but will say you need to get certain tasks done that's impossible to achieve in a shift) 10/10 would not recommend.

Cons

Over worked, under paid, you will have no life.

Understaffed and overworked

My one cent to you is to not start at SDM. They will hire you at a very low wage and will never give you a raise. This is their culture and how they make themselves millionaires. The pharmacy is always always and always understaffed. You work 5 times harder and busier than other pharmacies (not to include Rexall because it’s the same over there). Unfortunately, you get paid $15.00 for what you do (the job of at least 3 people). The corporate/head office doesn’t care about how overworked you and your coworkers are, they just won’t give more budget to schedule additional help. I’m always drained and stressed in every shift. 99% time I feel defeated because of the workload and how busy it is in the pharmacy. You can’t get anything done because you work as a cashier + data entry + dispensing + pick up the phone + other tasks AND the phone never stops ringing! In a nutshell, do not work at SDM.

Pros

30% discount

Cons

Low wage, understaffed, overworked, not appropriated

Stressful and understaffed

I wouldn't recommend working here as a cashier. Now this is based more on my own personal experience with my location and I cant say this as a basis for the whole company. However working here was one of the worst years of my life, it was stressful with little support from the management staff. We were understaffed and I was constantly verbally abused by customer. My only recommendation is if you want to work here apply for beauty boutique or pharmacy.

Pros

Nothing significant

Cons

Understaffed and little support

Overworked, understaffed, underpaid, unappreciated

Worked at shoppers for 3+ years. Merchandising, Supervising and also in cosmetics here and there.. understaffed or what lol. Once they see you as a good worker they will work you like a dog. I work 40 hours a week but they refused to make me full-time. I work every order night and the day after. Way too young to have back problems like this. Do not work here if you aren't okay with being overworked.

Pros

30% discount

Cons

Understaffed, heavily rushed, not understanding management

stressfull workplace with no benefits, rediculous salary and not adequate management

you will be overwhelmed with work. You won't have time to concentrate on what you are doing. Hundreds of phone calls a minute to take in addition to having to do three-person duties at the same time. The salary is ridiculous and not worthy. Treating you like trash.

Pros

Cons

awful manager

not something you wanna keep

I've never had an issue with payments or hours which was the best thing. It's a very toxic community, managers don't care enough about your struggles, only about getting the work done at a fast enough pace. 8-hour shifts of just awful radio music and sore fingers from digging into every box. For all that I had to do, it was not just worth minimum wage.

Pros

hour breaks

Cons

long/exhausting shifts

Amazing place to work

You learn something new every day, so I am not complaining . Great performance appraisal activities. Recognition for good work done . Easy to work with no effort, as long as u merchandise properly and treat customers with respect. Never forget to ask for optimum card tho .

Pros

Break room is amazing, good performance appraisals

SDM Queen Street (Charlottetown) is the best!

Staff members are like a family and completely understanding - they work around your schedule, and if you give a valid reason, they’re understanding when you need to reschedule or call in. Amazing coworkers and management. Customers are crazy though.

Pros

Amazing coworkers, flexible hours, work when you want to

Cons

Customers

Jobs at Shoppers Drug Mart

See more jobs

Productive and fun workplace with people you like to work with

Its very important that you are happy with what you are doing and also you are happy at your work and your workplace. Being happy at work will gives you courage to work harder and be more competitive with others. I love my job at shoppers.

Good salary but no job security

I have worked for Shoppers as a pharmacy assistant for almost 2 years and I regret it very much.They offer a good salary benefits and a great discount in store.After my 1st year and yearly evaluation I was granted a raise. 2 weeks later, management came at me saying they didnt have enough hours to keep me so I was left withno job.After starting at another shoppers location, and after I was promised full time hours and worked 40-60hours a week for 5months, they decided to cut down my hours to less than 20 hours a week.Very stressful to think you might not have a job the next day.

Pros

Benefits, salary, discount

Cons

No job security, No breaks when working weekends

From data scientist to a merchandiser, a new experience

Store managers are excellent, professional, and helpful.You have to deal with the supervisor, and they might be difficult sometimes—otherwise, an excellent place to work.

Challenging place to work

In between the post office, pharmacy, front store and beauty boutique, we were well aware of the challenges of working in the store. We were happy to serve the customers in any way.

Pros

Hours

Cons

Distance to get there

Terrible work environment

Absolutely terrible environment, very negative staff and terrible management. The staff loved gossiping about every employee and had terrible attitudes towards their jobs. Your hard work is never appreciated and it’s not worth it. Management is absolutely awful especially when a serious situation arises, you basically have to hunt down an HR specialist in head office. Absolutely hostile working environment with zero room for growth or development.

Pros

Cons

Staff, Management, Store Owners

Stressful environment, severely understaffed, awful management

Impossible to get days off or work around schedule, apathetic management. Somehow both mind numbing and stressful plus those ugly fluorescent lights do not help. As a supervisor I was paid 15 cents more then previous minimum wage, but expected to run the entire store and all of its departments. When I was 16. Also weirdly strict about self checkouts, management expects a minimum of 30-40% of customers to cash out using the self checkouts, however most customers are VERY opposed to this which makes for a stressful and awkward situation. I would have to stand by the self checkouts and cash people out there myself just to avoid getting in trouble. Awful company, unpleasant vibes, uncomfy sweaty uniform shirt, do not recommend.

Wouldn’t recommend

Overall, I would highly discourage anyone to work at this location. First, I’ll start with the pros - you get free product to try (gratis), and commission pay which can be pretty good. The little perks were great, but absolutely not worth the drama and toxic culture. As mentioned, the cons outweigh the pros tenfold. The manager was cold, unfriendly, and unwelcoming. Working with the manager was awkward as they didn’t seem to care much about being friendly or personable. If you’re sick, you better find someone to cover because if you cant - the manager will argue with you and tell you to BEG your coworkers or you have to be there, no options (even after your coworkers say all said no). The manager created an unsupportive and unfriendly atmosphere. In my short time there, 4-5 employees quit and 3 of them were on the spot. The turnover was ridiculous, but worst of all the manager really doesn’t care.

Pros

Free product, employee discount, reasonable pay, commission, breaks

Cons

Minimal training, late work hours, poor management

Where’s a great place to work became a good work family always nice there independently owned. You get good raise increases if you make your budgets you also get a fairly good staff discounts lots of perks makes it a pro

Productive job. I worked hard there

I was a cashier and worked really hard was always busy. I had merchandising to do when customers weren’t at the till. I was always happy and outgoing.

Pros

Cost merchandise

Cons

Picky management

Can be very political

I experienced negativity working at shoppers boutique, the ladies gossip and create chaos and made the environment stressful. It was very competitive which caused jealousy.

Pros

Free gifts

Cons

Stressful

Bad work culture and management

I do not recommend working at a shoppers drug mark due to the toxic work environment and upper management. Shoppers Drug Mart treats their employees as replaceable as well as does not allow them to talk about salaries/ how much one gets paid hourly. Additionally, mangers tend to abuse the rules of the job but hold lesser employees such as cashiers and merchandisers. Moreover, there is a lot of gossip that goes on and a hierarchy. Overall, I do not recommend working here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shoppers Drug Mart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.5K