Shoppers Drug Mart

Canada5,211 reviews

Found 5,211 reviews matching the searchSee all 5,312 reviews
martdrugsdmpharmacycosmeticstoredrugmartpharmaprix

Very stressful

Stressful and intense environment. Not enought staff and breaks are inappropriate. You give an idea to help company to head office. They steal it and no recognition. When you work you get all late shifts and every holiday. Lots of favoritism.

Pros

It's work

Cons

Scheduled every holiday, favoritism.

Felt used because I was a hard worker.

So micromanaged. Can’t have opinions. Every store is just a cookie cutter clone. Can’t be creative. Managers aren’t really managers. Just somebody to take fall for anything that goes wrong.

Pros

None.

Cons

Horrible place to work.

Insights into Shoppers Drug Mart

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues

Stressful and Overworked

Now that we have self-checkouts. We are forced to send them to the self-checkouts if they are paying with Debit/Credit/Gift Card to meet the daily target of SCO %. Many stores cut back on staff and hours. You're expected to get several tasks done but, you also need to help customers on the floor. There's only so much one person can do in a day but, they expect you to get everything done. Terrible experiencez

Had a good time working here

Worked here for two years, loved working with the staff. Started off as a cashier then did merchandising. At the start, working on cash was hard but I eventually got used to it. Received help whenever I needed it. Was treated like a part of the family. Had to leave because of my studies.

Pros

30% discount on most regular priced products, friendly coworkers

Cons

rude customers, sketchy people

My experience at Shoppers Drug Mart was breath-taking as I learned to handle time and work efficiently because of its fast-paced environment.

I worked at Shoppers Drug Mart part-time where I learned inventory management, customer service, non-sterile compounding and filling and processing of prescriptions.

Stressful and poor management

Working as a supervisor is a very stressful job! Management expects you to do all the tasks of a cashier, merchandiser, supervisor and assistant manager!

Pros

Discounts

fast paced and exhausting

The only good thing about working at Shoppers is the employee discount. Other than that, it is so tiring, management doesn't care about you even though they say that they do, unfairness between employees and sometimes you want to take off your uniform and say AIGHT IM QUITTING after dealing with extremely rude or stupid customers.

not worth the pay you get..

the FSM and the owner don't pay a living wage because the and they don't follow the Employment standard for the province and you don't get paid well for full time. you need a season job just to make a living.

Pros

Disconut

Cons

under paid, don' follow employment standards

Not what you expected

On your first day of the job, they provide very little training and then will leave you on your own to maintain the department and basically you have to learn everything on your own through a book manuel and watch videos. On my first month I got yelled at by managers multiple times for information that I should have been aware of during my training period but no one has never told me (it wasn't even in the manuel or video I watched). It's also very stressful as they are always micro-managing you to make sale goals for your department. On top on that you also have to be aware of thief too and management will blame you if they find there has been items stolen in your department.

Pros

Benefits, discount, makeup seminars, free makeup, co-workers

Cons

Stress, managment, lots of theif

Very Busy

As a merchandiser in Shoppers Drug mart it can get really busy depending on the location you work in.The management is always in flux even up the store manger being changed with schedules being messed up half the time. The Hardest Part is the stock that comes in and too much to do for only 1 person to manage.

A great place for students

I loved working at shoppers drug mart. As a student it allowed me great flexibility when I wanted to work. Shifts were usually 7 hours. The job of a cashier/supervisor (I worked both) was fun and collaborative with coworkers. If you like social interaction this is a great job for you.

Pros

Great discount

Cons

Long hours of standing

Great Place for a Highschool Kid

Worked there through high school as a merchandiser/cashier and eventually became the delivery driver for the pharmacy department.Nothing bad to say. Highly recommend.

A good place to be involved in infront line of Canadian Health Care system

Alghough my wage was not fair,I could earned good information and practical abilities in communication with people in health care system and technical area.

Pros

Store discounts

Cons

Busy invirontment

Management and coworkers were nice, location was terrible

Do some research on the location of the Shoppers you’re applying to. The one I worked at was in downtown, there were a lot of sketchy people. Almost every hour in my shift, customers would yell at me because they couldn’t afford the things they wanted. The coworkers and manager were nice. But the environment itself was terrible, I left after 2 months and only endured because I wanted to save up for the summer. The interview process was extremely easy, I was just asked my availability and my strengths/weaknesses, and then got a call a week later that I got the job. I worked 2-3 shifts per week. I had a second part-time job and management was accommodating and nice about changes to my schedule.

Pros

Discount, nice coworkers

Cons

Angry customers, closing shifts

Dull boring and unrealistic demands

The managers are very low skilled and basically were uneducated or high school passed clerks and they get promoted after years of hard work. But the experience cannot shake off their essentially clerical mindset. They have no conception of management principles, HR principles, financial sense and acumen.Many of their policies are irrational and clearly elucidate the principle of agency problem. That is the interest of the company is not aligned with these low level, on the ground managers who basically got promoted one step too many for their competence and education.

Pros

You have a chair to sit half the time

Cons

Almost anything

Cashier

It was an alright place to work the management was alright and the hours were good so I would recommend applying here if you are thinking about it yeah

Okay job for a student

I worked in the cosmetics section, the comission wasn't fair. We would only get it once a month and they would take a % of it so even after trying your best and selling a lot of products with a 5% comissions rate, you would get under 300$, which I think is unfair. They don't give a lot of hours, but I think for a student that's alright and it's also stress free, it is not a serious job. Customers aren't really ever mad, it is mostly for problems with their points, but it was the manager who would handle it

Pros

Free gift baskets at Christmas & free goodies all the time

Cons

Short hours

Good place to work but read your handbook!

Obviously a lot changes depending on the location you work at. I’ve been at two because I moved for school and transferred. At the first location I felt fulfilled and appreciated! I was able to gain more responsibilities such as ordering and price adjustments as I demonstrated the desire to. At the second location they only hired students to help fill milk and pop for 8 hour shifts :( At the first location, management was great and they were proactive about following all company guidelines. They were also open to conversations about raises and were happy to even approach you about them during the regular performance reviews. At the second location they would remove a lunch break and 2 fifteen minute breaks from your shift on the back end. Even if you didn’t have time to take a lunch break, and even though company policy is that coffee breaks are paid.I’ve had really stellar experiences with this company! Just make sure you know what you’re supposed to be getting and don’t be afraid to ask for it.

good first job

good first job if you are just starting out. Not too hard and you will learn some skills. Average working conditions. workplace culture is okay. you do get employee discounts

Stressful workplace with unprofessional management.

In my time here, I experienced derogatory comments made about my appearance, management restricted us from drinking water, and we had no protection against abusive clients. They fired employees in front of clients, it overall was unpleasant to be around. The training was poor and they made me feel awful for having a disability.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, poor management, lack of training.

They expect a lot from you.

At first I thought the job is easy then my previous food court job. But as the time grows the work load just gets on increasing and increasing. There is never time for a breather, sometimes there is that much of delivery that I even take my first break after 5-6 hours. The management do not want to do anything. On top of that they do not schedule enough people to help you. Sometimes you are one who is doing everything from checking expiration dates of foods till the end of shift in the garbage bin that is never there. I do have a capability to do all that but still if I am supposed to perform these many job duties then I should probably go for a warehouse job where there is more pay. If you talk about the promotion then the answer is we don’t specific person to fill your job so we can’t promote you now.Nobody wants to help you in your work especially when there is a truck full of delivery pallets worth $96000. You are expected to bring it in , divide it on carts for various isles, do almost half of its merchandising and w it back to do backroom overstock. And yet what you hear from your fellow employees is “ It must be so amazing that you only do mornings”.

Pros

30 percent off

Cons

Corporate involvement, Racism, authoritarianism, unfair pay for some positions, A lot of work for one person, warehouse feel

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shoppers Drug Mart. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement