Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Shoppers Drug Mart / Pharmaprix Employee Reviews

Found 3,557 reviews matching the search
I work in the pharmacy as an assistant, the work is very hard and there is little room to move up in wage. The pharmacists do not get wage increases at all and are expected to do A LOT of clinical billing with no compensation.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Unfair wage
....don't apply to SDM. They claim to care about the health of their staff and have these campaigns for Women's Health but they don't actually care Management has favorites, you work twice as hard as some and get paid equal, performance reviews are minimal and a joke, and you'll likely lose your mind working here.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Loss of sanity
Everybody there is really nice. They make me understand each and everything so well and with patience as it was my first job in Canada. The managers are really nice to help you.
Pros
15 minutes break
Unrealistic workload for the amount of man hours allotted. Move to automation cuts hours too deep to get duties done efficiently. More expected of remaining staff. Burn out increases.
Pros
Nice coworkers, discount, working as a team
Cons
Work-life balance, pay
After working here for almost four years, the working environment is very diverse between each store. Shoppers is very welcoming to people looking for a first job as well as to the long term workers.
Pros
Three breaks
Cons
Sometimes short hours
I worked for the company in the mid 90's, what a great place to work. The Associate treated the employees very good. Great morale during those years. I really enjoyed my job then, but since working for the company this time i find the work environment has become very toxic and getting worse. Employees are pushed to the limit and morale is down the toilet. New Associate not supportive of existing staff. I would not recommend taking a position at this particular store. Overworked and unappreciated for the work load.
Pros
Staff Pharmacists are amazing dispite the above.
Cons
No set schedule
Working at shoppers was my first job as a high school student. I was trained at a different location and then worked for the new location in the mall. I think working here was a great experience. I worked with some great and kind co-workers who felt like mentors and made me enjoy working. The pay was good for a high school student. It was above minimum wage and I was making more than my friends. There needed to be some more training as sometimes there would be situations where I didn't know what to do at the till as I was not trained for it and would sometimes get in trouble and blamed even though it isn't necessarily my fault. Maybe there should be some sort of book or one-on-one session with the trainer to make sure the new employee is good and isn't in a situation where they don't know what to do. Once I had to do merchandising and got in trouble for not knowing how to do a certain part because I wasn't trained for it. They should reflect on their own management skills rather than blaming their new employees who didn't get proper training. Sometimes the store seemed a bit unorganized within management and there was sometimes a lack of communication between managers and employees. They were accommodating and flexible for students when it came to scheduling but sometimes they would schedule you then take you off schedule last minute without any notice which was frustrating. Overall, I had a good experience working at Shoppers but there needs to be better training for employees and organizational skills within management.
Pros
30% discount, nice co-workers
Cons
Lack of training, unorganized, poor management
I felt appreciated and respected by my coworkers as well as our customers. My favourite was Seniors Day when our Seniors would line up patiently for their hugs and advice on which supplements they needed.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Standing all day
As much as I loved the people I work with, the mangement at this store is absolutely horrible! Constantly micromanaged, not paid fairly for the amount of leadership your expected to take. Maybe another store would be good but the Dawson creek location is absolutely horrendous! The only departments worth working in at the pharmacy or cosmetics, because the managers in those departments are wonderful
I loved working at Shoppers Drug Mart. Co-workers and staff were all friendly and eager to assist each other, learnt a lot about retail, and shifts flew by. 10/10 recommend
Pros
Co-workers, does not micromanage, fun work environment
Cons
Late nights, not enough training to be a supervisor (if inexperienced)
Manageable stress level of work. Time management is essential. Customer service should be priority in any level. Management are responsive in terms of employee's safety, needs and assistance.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Short staff, to much work for one person to put back the store in place for business next day.
The branch I worked at had terrible management experience. The hours were cut in half for anyone working part-time due to covid and they would get mad at you for asking an update on when the regular hours would get back. They don't often congradulate you, but often critisize your work so if you are someone who needs validation like me, might not be the best work place for you. There was never any communication between staff and management
Pros
30% discount
This review is strictly for cashiers/merchandisers position. I cannot speak for pharmacy. Supervisors are needed so they get full hours even if they work 2-3 days. But cashiers are hired many and most of them get only 8-9 hours per week unless you have very few people working in your store. Management has airs so even though you are probably heard, they don’t really care because you would leave but supervisors and especially managers have a career built there so they will likely be staying and thus, the higher authorities would not want to mess with them. If in case you speak against your manager or supervisor even through email, the manager will show his/her true colours by scheduling less hours or in any capacity where he/she holds power. This differs store by store because where manager is good, one is not crazy to complain. But beware! It’s a company after all and diversity and open communication are mere words and statements put to look nice. Mistakes and flaws are seen first but proper service and skills are overlooked and unappreciated.
Don't expect a normal working schedule or shift as it'll change very often. It's a very busy place so you need to keep up with the pace. Prior pharmacy experience would be a great asset as you won't get any training.
Pros
Free lunches, staff discounts
Cons
Fast paced
When i first started working, they had me on hands in front of the cash register. Afterwards, as time went by (i started working at the beginning of the pandemic), they had me on front door duty which was alright but annoying because it was always my job to disinfect carts/baskets. Then they starting cutting out my hours and giving them more to other employees. I felt like i wasn’t being treating fairly. Go at your own risk
Super endroit pour travailler! Horaire flexible, bon environnement de travail !
Pros
Gérants super compréhensif, collègues géniaux
Cons
Les pauses sont courtes surtout quand on fait des gros shifts!
The managers were not very friendly and helpful at problems and difficult times. They always put a lot of pressure on the employees and had an unreasonable level of expectations sometimes.
This is about my location, I don't know how it is at others. At first the job wasn't so bad. Basic retail merchandising and cashing. I got promoted from Cashier to Supervisor within 6 months, and then made Cash Lead a year after that. In the three years since then there's been no advancements, and very minor raises. I only make $15 an hour after almost 5 years! That's about $1 above the current minimum wage! And that's after demanding a raise multiple times. And they pile so much responsibility on us; stuff that isn't even our jobs (for example I have covered for Receiving and the Boutique) And they demand so much from us at my store. They expect things done quickly and perfectly, zero time spent standing around (They'll watch you on the cameras and reprimand you!!) You're expected to take extra shifts, extend your shifts when asked, cover people's sick days, and find your own coverage when you need time off. If you don't do this, management reprimands you for not helping out. It can be a bit of a toxic environment, I've really only stayed because I am friends with my coworkers and I like seeing them every day.
Pros
Good part time hours, repetitive daily tasks
Cons
Bad pay, no coverage, high expectations
If you are going into this for a FT Receiver/Merchandiser/Supervisor position, I do not recommend it as the pay is 1-2$ more than minimum wage. The amount of work that is expected of you in the time frame given is absolutely ridiculous. A part time Cashier or Merchandiser position I would recommend.No matter how much effort or care you put into your daily tasks, your pay will never reflect that. You are not being paid on how hard you work. You are being paid based on minimum wage and their "pay grid". How high they decide to pay you until you hit the limit is up for debate. What happens from there who honestly knows.Every store varies as they are independently owned/franchised. Some stores have a great atmosphere while others do not. This pretty much applies to anywhere really.As a FT Receiver, anything that pretty much comes through the back door I am responsible for. Receiving and merchandising Saputo Milk / Dairy Products / Pepsi / Coke / Frito Lays / Weston Bread / Cosmetics / Bryers PC Ice Cream / Burbrae Eggs and District Center Warehouse Truck (the truck that supplies just about everything they sell)Everything starts in the back room. Thats you. How much support you get from other employees/management is debatable. The amount of stress will pile up due to many factors. At the end of the day, I do not believe doing this as a FT position is worth it. I wouldn't recommend anything else aside from a PT Cashier / Merchandiser position.If you still want to be a PT or FT Receiver, then being a fast thinker, incredible attention to detail, physically - more...
Pros
Long Hours
Cons
Incredibly low pay for what they expect
I worked at shoppers drug mart for over 2 years and have very little to complain about. I was lucky enough to get the same schedule for every week and getting 20 hours a week as I had asked for. At some point the hours can be reduced due to corporate but there’s nothing management could really do about that. Besides that I loved my coworkers, I learnt my job very quick and I enjoyed the experience with the other departments and customers who came in on a regular. Overall I had a great experience and would recommend this job to others.
Pros
Discount, decent hours, friendly staff, customer service experience
Cons
Stressful moments, angry customers
I worked for several locations in different provinces. Some were great, some were ok and 2 were just miserable. Managers were not suited for the job. Subpar training and kept staff who should have been fired.
Pros
Discounts on every day items, groceries. Health insurance and investment opportunities.
Cons
Subpar training, backstabbing coworkers, incompetent managers