Play YouTube video button
Coronavirus update

Shopify Pay & benefits reviews

Canada60 reviews
Featured review
Shopify selected this as a representative review
They do just about everything right. Amazing culture, amazing people. But, it's not for the faint of heart. They ship fast and expect the best, including being leaders in the tech industry.
Awkward management with shallow follow through to commitments.
Encouraged to speak your mind, but pay the consequences.

Minimal pay, but you off with perks which are just a company write off.

Pros
In-house food and snacks, perks, benefits.
Cons
Below average pay, sloppy management.
Quality standards are very high. They expect a lot from front line staff, performance expectations are higher than companies like Apple.

Benefits are great, though salary is below minimum wage in some areas of Canada.
Some great benefits and decent pay, but too many negatives. You will never get a holiday off, you will work a lot of weekends, and you have to put up with all the negative issues of merchants. After a while it really takes a toll on you. There is room for advancement, but you will have to drink the cool aid and really get on with someone higher up.
Alright pay, good benefits, no vision benefits. 8 week schedule, which is good until a holiday comes around and they REARRANGE the schedule.
Dealt with this for more than 1 year, worked every single holiday up to and including Christmas. Understaffed, no room for advancement. Draining job, KPI metrics, high supervisor turn over. Drink the kool aid company, favoritism.
Pros include relaxing work environment, ability to work at your own pace and workload depends entirely on your ambition. As does your salary. My experience there was unreliable though, and although it worked out for a little while, would not recommend for anything long term.
Pros
incredible pay!
Cons
Job security
i got fired for no reason . Worked there for almost 2 years and they gave me the boot after I got into An argument with a Supervisor. They took away all my stocks worth over 20,000$ that they said this is part of your salary when first hired . Btw there salaries will say 35-40k but really your take home is more like 30-35k . ( you gotta pay 10$ a day for lunch and other fees) They create alcoholic
Shopify is company that doesn't know how to handle its own growth, During your hiring phase you're told you will not be in the position for more than 3-6 months - what they don't tell you is that it all depends on who you know. Due to the remote nature of the job, and the sheer volume of clients that need to be helped, you have very little chance to rub virtual elbows with anyone who could get you a leg up to move up.

The best part was the huge lifestyle spending account and benefits, but I would stay far away from this company.
My experience at Shopify was pretty good overall.

Pros:

- Great people

- Great manager/squad lead

- Everyone will pretty much help you, you should do the same :)

- self dev hours

- can get into other positions later on

- great company culture

- paid vacay days, but hard to book the days you want as everyone books the same days, so it's hard to get Christmas and holidays off

Cons:

- high stress environment, especially during platform wide issues

- often worked 40+ hours

- by the time I left, it felt like any other company, hire fast, fire fast

- salary was mediocre compared to other customer service rep jobs
The Guru role is just plain unsustainable. You'd think it'd be about, y'know, helping people, but it all comes down to numbers for management. How long you spend on chats/calls, how many you completed in an hour, and how many upsell attempts you made (regardless of relevance to the person's reason for contacting support) take priority over actual customer satisfaction. And you know what? It's more than a little difficult to meet an ideal of "15 minutes per chat" when you have to juggle three of them at the same time. Turns work-life balance into an absolute joke. Half my squad and I ended up staying late working on follow-up emails every day of the week. If you manage to clear your slate one day, I guarantee you'll have 20 new messages to deal with before work starts tomorrow.

The boots-on-the-ground folks who do the actual work are wonderful. Supportive, smart, and very, very adaptable. Management, on the other hand, is wanting. Don't get me wrong, there are some good folks working their way up in this company. The one I got saddled with was a "drink the Kool-Aid" sycophant who was somewhat less concerned with helping the team grow than slinging buzzwords at us with the most insincere smile I ever saw. That was, when he was there, of course. I don't know how many vacation days managers get, but this guy was blowin' through his like he only had a year to live.

The pay and benefits are great. There are also some truly worthwhile jobs you can work your way up to if you can survive Guruland. My experience left me with no desire to explore those.
I loved working for Shopify. I joined at a time when the company was expanding rapidly, so a lot of what you'd read online about the culture was changing. They set very high standards for their Gurus, and there is very little room for error. A lot of gurus feel they'll transition out of the role quickly, and this is not the case. Still - it's a great place to work with great benefits & great people.
Hard to list what one would learn as there are so many moving parts to e-commerce. The list is long. Constant support for improvement with work life and personal from management. Great opportunity. Enjoyed talking to business owners and merchants about their business and providing feedback, support and tools to help grow or improve their work flow.
Pros
Benefits package is probably the best in Canada
Cons
The massive growth of the company in such little time is affecting the front lines of the company, but may only be a growing pain.
Micromanaged, totally ridiculous metric based and no opportunity for advancement unless you have a set of knee pads.
Literally people with marketing / business degrees getting fired for lack of “business coaching” by managers who got the job for being a “yes” person and sipping the kool aid so to speak.

This job pushes people to take extended leaves of absence.
No one in guruland gets raises (at least not unless they love you).
I wish I never heard of shopify...
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Shopify
Working for Shopify was a great experience. Both the pay and benefits were good and the hours were more than manageable. Work life balance was never an issue, there was never a concern for working too late or needing to start early. Employees in my role were provided time during the day to focus on professional growth and were provided plenty of resources for personal health and well being.
Pros
Benefits, consistent schedule, working from home
Cons
largely transaction interactions.
The company as a whole was great and loved working there. The only issue I had was the inconsistency with the management. I was required to switch shifts and moved to another team. This was a new team lead with a style so different from the last that it ended up costing me my job due to their inability to explain what it was that they wanted from me as an employee. When trying to reach out the Hr, I was unable to as my rep was away. By the time they came back it was to give me an exit interview. It was at that time I got to find out what my Team lead wanted me to work on. Which would have been very easy for me to do if they had been clear about it from the beginning. The part that bothers me is if I was still on my original team with my original team lead I would still be working for this amazing company! Every team lead is allowed to lead their team as they see fit.. so happy supportive team lead to do as I say or your gone types.
Pros
Work from home, great benefits, great work enviroment
Cons
Lack of consistency in management styles
great place to work. a lot of nice perks. workload can be a bit intense. flexible work time and vocation. in snow day, you can work from home. pay is decent if you are programmer.
Not a bad place to work i guess, the salary isn't very good but what can you do. They send you teabags gsometimes. No one listens but no one pays you much mind
The workplace culture is very tech-oriented and it is expected that you will hit the ground running and be resourceful very quickly. You often hear internally that "Shopify is a hard company to work for", and they want you to move fast, but fast often creates problems of its own.

Many programs and systems have been quickly implemented without understanding the underlying rules/procedures required, and then significant amounts of time are needed after the fact to correct the errors/issues that arise because of this.

A light breakfast and full lunch are provided daily, however this offering becomes a taxable benefit to the employee.

Shopify provides a generous total rewards program, however no pension plan is offered to employees. Instead, you receive an annual 'flex credit' of $5,000, which you can allocate all or a portion of, to an RRSP.
This 'flex credit' is in addition to the base benefits plan.

Cash compensation is either at market, or slightly higher, due to the competitiveness in this industry.

The people are nice to work with and there is a strong teamwork environment. That is one of the redeeming factors you will experience while working at Shopify.
Pros
Can work from home whenever needed to.
Cons
High expectations to get up to speed very quickly.
- Beautiful office spaces, catered lunch daily, snacks, etc.
- Amazing benefits, excellent compensation as well (base and commission are high)
- Full autonomy, huge focus on personal/professional development
- High Growth company; exciting to be a part of, constantly changing and evolving (very agile)
Upon being hired the job may seem glamorous or even magical, however this feeling quickly fades. You soon realize that the training is insufficient and poorly structured which leads to shock and disarray in the field. The pace is incredibly fast, yet during training they never do anything to prepare you for that, instead everything is taken extremely slowly, and as soon as you're done they toss you right into the fire.

You'll often be told that "your opinion matters" or that "we're always willing to accommodate for you" but none of this is true. Your opinion will be struck down or contradicted, and whatever accommodations you may need will be met with criticism and rejection. If you can't do things exactly their way, they'll simply threaten to fire you. The expectations of your role are inconsistent and constantly changing, as are the company values.

The money and the benefits will push you to work hard and meet the expectations, however the isolation of the guru role will lead the social person to feeling lonely and depressed. I would not recommend this job unless you're sick of in-person socialization and extremely well versed in multi-tasking.
Pros
Good benefits, spending account
Cons
Expected to work overtime with no extra pay, poor and arrogant management, fake positivity and unkept promises from higher-up
If you don't get along with your manager.... best of luck.

Pros : Benefits, working from home, colleagues, other perks,
Cons: Final warnings given out for anything, no diversity in management, under paid.

Overall though, great place to work with the right manager.