Shopify

Shopify Employee Reviews

Canada58 reviews
Featured review
Shopify selected this as a representative review
They do just about everything right. Amazing culture, amazing people. But, it's not for the faint of heart. They ship fast and expect the best, including being leaders in the tech industry.
Lots of promises from management that no one ever delivers on. Discouraged from sharing ideas or collaborating. Heavy focus on sales despite being told staff wasn't required to sell.
Worked remotely from home. Team was very engaged, but management had habit of cancelling wind-down activities because of work overload due to no fault of our own. Moving out of the Guru position takes a lot of consistent performance and effort and it is not easy due to strict requirements of email writing in customer support.
It just wasn't for me. The culture. The people there. I just didnt fit in. The workload in comparison to pay was not ideal. Among other things. It seemed good at first but the novelty quickly wore off.
Quality standards are very high. They expect a lot from front line staff, performance expectations are higher than companies like Apple.

Benefits are great, though salary is below minimum wage in some areas of Canada.
They fake collaboration and provide no coaching. My manager was atrocious. She told me I had to figure out everything for myself and that “she was not going to give me all the answers”
Pros
Free food
Cons
Terrible management
Some great benefits and decent pay, but too many negatives. You will never get a holiday off, you will work a lot of weekends, and you have to put up with all the negative issues of merchants. After a while it really takes a toll on you. There is room for advancement, but you will have to drink the cool aid and really get on with someone higher up.
Management needs to be evaluate and retrained on their staff members day-to-day work. The wage is not one that could be relied on for a career, advancement would be required. Culture was amazing and the support. Would work there again in a heart beat. 3 months from applying to all 3 interviews to start date.
Alright pay, good benefits, no vision benefits. 8 week schedule, which is good until a holiday comes around and they REARRANGE the schedule.
Dealt with this for more than 1 year, worked every single holiday up to and including Christmas. Understaffed, no room for advancement. Draining job, KPI metrics, high supervisor turn over. Drink the kool aid company, favoritism.
Great company culture, everyone is super kind and helpful. However, the job itself is dreadful, exhausting and downright anxiety inducing. I, along with many of my team members actually needed to go to therapy about a month in of working there. The demands are extremely tough and it's nearly impossible to move up unless you're some sort of tech whiz. Would only recommend for strong-willed individuals who can handle being under constant pressure, even during your lunch break and post-work hours. You don't get paid for overtime so they force you to shove everything within the 8-hour work window (next to impossible I must say, especially for those who were just starting out).
Pros include relaxing work environment, ability to work at your own pace and workload depends entirely on your ambition. As does your salary. My experience there was unreliable though, and although it worked out for a little while, would not recommend for anything long term.
Pros
incredible pay!
Cons
Job security
i got fired for no reason . Worked there for almost 2 years and they gave me the boot after I got into An argument with a Supervisor. They took away all my stocks worth over 20,000$ that they said this is part of your salary when first hired . Btw there salaries will say 35-40k but really your take home is more like 30-35k . ( you gotta pay 10$ a day for lunch and other fees) They create alcoholic
Highly enjoy Shopify. I still work there, just on Indeed to get a second job. Really enjoyed the people and the lessons learned at this job plus there was a lot of room for growth.
It takes a special type of person to work from home, if you're an extrovert this likely may not be the role for you. The culture of working remotely appeared drastically different than the fun, trendy in-office culture the company is so widely known for. Be prepared for a grind to move out of an entry level role and very vague, unclear feedback on how to advance.
J'ai aimer mon expérience de travaille chez shopify.
Shopify is company that doesn't know how to handle its own growth, During your hiring phase you're told you will not be in the position for more than 3-6 months - what they don't tell you is that it all depends on who you know. Due to the remote nature of the job, and the sheer volume of clients that need to be helped, you have very little chance to rub virtual elbows with anyone who could get you a leg up to move up.

The best part was the huge lifestyle spending account and benefits, but I would stay far away from this company.
Great employer and lots of room for growth within the company. They are able to provide experiences unlike any other company and take pride in work life balance.
My experience at Shopify was pretty good overall.

Pros:

- Great people

- Great manager/squad lead

- Everyone will pretty much help you, you should do the same :)

- self dev hours

- can get into other positions later on

- great company culture

- paid vacay days, but hard to book the days you want as everyone books the same days, so it's hard to get Christmas and holidays off

Cons:

- high stress environment, especially during platform wide issues

- often worked 40+ hours

- by the time I left, it felt like any other company, hire fast, fire fast

- salary was mediocre compared to other customer service rep jobs
The Guru role is just plain unsustainable. You'd think it'd be about, y'know, helping people, but it all comes down to numbers for management. How long you spend on chats/calls, how many you completed in an hour, and how many upsell attempts you made (regardless of relevance to the person's reason for contacting support) take priority over actual customer satisfaction. And you know what? It's more than a little difficult to meet an ideal of "15 minutes per chat" when you have to juggle three of them at the same time. Turns work-life balance into an absolute joke. Half my squad and I ended up staying late working on follow-up emails every day of the week. If you manage to clear your slate one day, I guarantee you'll have 20 new messages to deal with before work starts tomorrow.

The boots-on-the-ground folks who do the actual work are wonderful. Supportive, smart, and very, very adaptable. Management, on the other hand, is wanting. Don't get me wrong, there are some good folks working their way up in this company. The one I got saddled with was a "drink the Kool-Aid" sycophant who was somewhat less concerned with helping the team grow than slinging buzzwords at us with the most insincere smile I ever saw. That was, when he was there, of course. I don't know how many vacation days managers get, but this guy was blowin' through his like he only had a year to live.

The pay and benefits are great. There are also some truly worthwhile jobs you can work your way up to if you can survive Guruland. My experience left me with no desire to explore those.
Shopify's culture is amazing, everyone has a student mentality and care about the health and well being of others way beyond the average workplace. I have never experienced as much care from an employer and co-workers before.
You are lead to believe one thing in training, and then thrown into the fire once live channels begin. Revamp training program and get rid of 3 chats at a time. Too much stress for employees.