Shopify

Shopify Employee Reviews

Featured review
Shopify selected this as a representative review
They do just about everything right. Amazing culture, amazing people. But, it's not for the faint of heart. They ship fast and expect the best, including being leaders in the tech industry.
Its a good culture place, you get to be in one of the best growing company in the world right now. Workload is a ton, there is the perk of working from home. But still overwhelming sometimes.
Pros
Sometimes relaxed, paid training.
Cons
Workload is stressful, specially for wages close to minimum.
If you read other reviews, you'll know that Shopify gives great benefits!If you read the negative reviews, you'll see comments about how there is "no room for advancements" or "you have to drink the kool aid to advance". I have to respectfully disagree with these comments, as I (and a few others that I know) did not experience this.To be completely honest, yes, advancing is tough, due to the high number of competition (as you can see, A LOT of people are trying to advance), BUT if you are proving you're good at what you currently do, and you have the right motivation/intention, advancing is very much possible. I have advanced twice during my time at Shopify, and let me tell you, I have ZERO connection or know anyone that are in the higher ups, let alone drink the "kool aid".
Pros
Advancement opportunities
Cons
The competition that comes with those advancement opportunities
I worked as a support advisor at shopify and I do NOT recommend this role due to unrealistic expectations from management with very little support. The activities may seem straightforward but often times you'll find yourself indulged in complex tasks way above the pay grade. One of the main duties is to work with 3 simultaneous chats at once and they expect you to do this to a T. Unless your a bot and can type 1000wpm then you will not be able succeed in this role. The expectation is to provide above and beyond service to the customer while being extremely swift. These 2 things don't go hand in hand. Imagine working in a restaurant or physical retail location and be expected to help 3 customers with separate needs at once. If you don't do well you are unfortunately reprimanded for it and further pushed down the gutter in regards to the performance evaluation spectrum. Management is very reluctant on helping you out and prefers to throw in the fire.
Pros
Cons
stressful, overworked, no balance, unrealistic, low pay, minimal support, lots of pressure, no acknowledgement
My time at Shopify was incredible. It is a LOT of work and I'd reccomend having at least a solid call center / sales job prior, but you get what you give! Pay is good to start (imo it should be at least 5K more based on my own experience and where I live), the health benefits and perks are verrrry nice, and the culture is wonderful. There are weekly company wide meetings, where all are encouraged to participate and a real sense of community (the guru role was always remote) even during the pandemic. Career advancement and planning is discussed almost immediately after training, and this can, at times be daunting (the learning curve at the beggining can be both steep and overwhelming lol), but is ultimately there for your own good with a lil bit of perseverence. After a few months you really start to develop an entrepreneurial mindset and the merchants you speak with are nothing short of geniuses. It can be extremely inspiring as well.So if you're into hard work, ecommerce, troubleshooting, marketing, tech, becoming an entrepreneur in a fast paced environment, and have the tenacity and will to go far, the company will totally support you.
Pros
Great benefits and perks even for entry level, remote, constant learning, great teams/people, Ability to advance
Cons
Sometimes overwhelming when busy, Steep learning curve post-training, less salary than I'd expect given the tasks
Any entry-level customer service role within Shopify is mentally and emotionally challenging. You work straight through each 8-hour shift without much more than a 30-minute break. To be successful in the role, you will need excellent social skills to navigate many difficult conversations (either due to technical issues or your own personal lack of knowledge on a given subject). The role also requires an equal amount of technical know-how, as your support covers (but is not limited to): shipping, taxes, inventory, fulfillment, reporting/analytics, third-party apps, Facebook advertising, Google shopping, products, marketing, payment gateways, point of sale and the list goes on. (Just have a quick look at their Help Center.) Never expect to become an expert within your role, because things constantly change. Shopify does its best to keep you in the loop of these changes, but there simply is no way to keep up with it all unless you study outside the regular working hours. Ultimately, your biggest learning experiences come from the interactions you've completely bombed, because you'll make sure never to slip up like that again.The people you speak to over the phone are generally nice people, but when things go wrong for the customer, conversations escalate quickly. When a person's site goes down and they are losing thousands of dollars by the hour, you'll be the person they are contacting. And when you aren't doing phone calls, you are doing three live-chats simultaneously. It is very difficult to juggle 3 chats with varying topics at once, even after several years of working - more...
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Isolating and emotionally taxing
your day is divided into 3 main categories:emails, phone support & chat support.chat support can be stressful as you handle multiple chat at onceinclusive & team building is always a priorityquality & ability of your immediate manager can vary greatly. They seem to have a great deal of autonomy in how they handle their team which is good if they are a good manager but horrible if they are lacking.HR personnel are also luck of the draw as some are very much HR for the company not the employee while others have employee's best interest in mind.A pro is the company is growing fast and always evolving and looking to do better both for staff and customers alike.Overall the company was excellent but your experience working here will likely end up being related to your direct manager and/or other support staff.
Pros
remote work, always learning
Cons
not enough accountability or oversight on front line managers
Awkward management with shallow follow through to commitments. Encouraged to speak your mind, but pay the consequences.Minimal pay, but you off with perks which are just a company write off.
Pros
In-house food and snacks, perks, benefits.
Cons
Below average pay, sloppy management.
Lots of promises from management that no one ever delivers on. Discouraged from sharing ideas or collaborating. Heavy focus on sales despite being told staff wasn't required to sell.
Worked remotely from home. Team was very engaged, but management had habit of cancelling wind-down activities because of work overload due to no fault of our own. Moving out of the Guru position takes a lot of consistent performance and effort and it is not easy due to strict requirements of email writing in customer support.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Shopify?
It just wasn't for me. The culture. The people there. I just didnt fit in. The workload in comparison to pay was not ideal. Among other things. It seemed good at first but the novelty quickly wore off.
Quality standards are very high. They expect a lot from front line staff, performance expectations are higher than companies like Apple. Benefits are great, though salary is below minimum wage in some areas of Canada.
They fake collaboration and provide no coaching. My manager was atrocious. She told me I had to figure out everything for myself and that “she was not going to give me all the answers”
Pros
Free food
Cons
Terrible management
Some great benefits and decent pay, but too many negatives. You will never get a holiday off, you will work a lot of weekends, and you have to put up with all the negative issues of merchants. After a while it really takes a toll on you. There is room for advancement, but you will have to drink the cool aid and really get on with someone higher up.
Management needs to be evaluate and retrained on their staff members day-to-day work. The wage is not one that could be relied on for a career, advancement would be required. Culture was amazing and the support. Would work there again in a heart beat. 3 months from applying to all 3 interviews to start date.
Alright pay, good benefits, no vision benefits. 8 week schedule, which is good until a holiday comes around and they REARRANGE the schedule. Dealt with this for more than 1 year, worked every single holiday up to and including Christmas. Understaffed, no room for advancement. Draining job, KPI metrics, high supervisor turn over. Drink the kool aid company, favoritism.
Great company culture, everyone is super kind and helpful. However, the job itself is dreadful, exhausting and downright anxiety inducing. I, along with many of my team members actually needed to go to therapy about a month in of working there. The demands are extremely tough and it's nearly impossible to move up unless you're some sort of tech whiz. Would only recommend for strong-willed individuals who can handle being under constant pressure, even during your lunch break and post-work hours. You don't get paid for overtime so they force you to shove everything within the 8-hour work window (next to impossible I must say, especially for those who were just starting out).
Pros include relaxing work environment, ability to work at your own pace and workload depends entirely on your ambition. As does your salary. My experience there was unreliable though, and although it worked out for a little while, would not recommend for anything long term.
Pros
incredible pay!
Cons
Job security
i got fired for no reason . Worked there for almost 2 years and they gave me the boot after I got into An argument with a Supervisor. They took away all my stocks worth over 20,000$ that they said this is part of your salary when first hired . Btw there salaries will say 35-40k but really your take home is more like 30-35k . ( you gotta pay 10$ a day for lunch and other fees) They create alcoholic
Highly enjoy Shopify. I still work there, just on Indeed to get a second job. Really enjoyed the people and the lessons learned at this job plus there was a lot of room for growth.
It takes a special type of person to work from home, if you're an extrovert this likely may not be the role for you. The culture of working remotely appeared drastically different than the fun, trendy in-office culture the company is so widely known for. Be prepared for a grind to move out of an entry level role and very vague, unclear feedback on how to advance.
  1. Employee reviews