Shopify
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Shopify Employee Reviews

Canada82 reviews

Great company with great culture.

Work life balanced. Team is supportive and willing to help with each other. But they are more likely to hire employees under 35 unless you are management.

Decent place to work

Shopify is a decent place to work. They seem to care about their employees and when a decision is reached regarding things like compensation or work-from-home, things move quickly to make it happen.They are over-hiring a bit in some areas, so some teams have people with very little work and some are slammed. I was on a team with too little work, and my first 8 months were boring and frustrating.

Pros

lifestyle spending account

Cons

Stock comp sucks

The tout culture, but it's far from inclusive

Intense. Either never ending phone calls, or 3 chats at a time. If you excel at phones, they still demand you do chats. 3 at a time is hard for even the most advanced csr. If you're stuck in a chat or call after your scheduled shift, oh well, it's on your time, which then pushes the time alloted for all your followups to be pushed further. Sometimes an hour or 2 after shift ends your logging off, with no O/T pay. If you didn't do your followups, you were talked too. Has nothing to do about time management. Your team leads are not helpful, they will tell you what you do wrong, all the time, and bring you up in your weaknesses but never congratulate your strengths. Good benefits and vacation alottment (if you can get the dates you want, half the time you can't).Upper management is unapproachable and is all about inclusion, but, the little people don't feel any of it.

Intense with low pay

I worked for some months it wasn't a permanent job rather like a contract job and it was super busy and intense and then the pay was low around $16. I struggled a lot as it was really technical even though it was a customer care job. My team members were nice my trainer was also nice just that I struggled at the job alot and had to leave.

Hard

Hard work for little pay. The only people that enjoy are the ones who have drank the shopify koolaid. They do however care about their employees. Lots of perks.

Great company, stressful job

Shopify has great values and perks, but I found this job to be extremely stressful. There is promise to move up in the company if you can do well in the support advisor role

Great Company to work for, although moving up can be difficult

Great company to work for but in order to work your way up, you must have strong networking skills! In this case, you really need to go out of your way to get into another position, otherwise moving up with never happen for you. Hard work alone will not get you promoted here.

Perfect stay at home job but can be stressful at times

A great company to work at that’s very inclusive and focuses so much on the personal growth of their employees! Everyone on your team is always there to help you out with your work. It can just get stressful during certain time periods where you are on phones or 3 chats back to back with no time for a real break. Overall such a fun place to work. You get to talk to businesses all over the world large and small, and learn so much from them!

Emphasis on work-life balance but really stressful environment

I honestly should have known that it was going to be stressful but for some reason I didn’t realize how stressful it was going to be. You do feel supported by management (maybe superficially) but it’s overwhelming work. You have multiple chats at a time and rarely know the answer to merchant questions because you’re not taught. Obviously they can’t teach you everything but there are ok resources you can look through. The trouble with that is when you are trying to find a solution to someone’s issue over chat you have to keep updating them every 3 minutes which is really overwhelming when you have multiple chats at one time and have to figure out how to solve multiple issues. This makes merchants really angry and I get yelled at all day long. I’ve worked here for 7 weeks now and thinking of quitting as I dread work every day.

Pros

Work from home, nice management

Cons

Extremely stressful, expected to do more than you are capable of doing

Shopify is an incredible place: empathetic, talented, mission-driven and growth oriented folks across the entire company.

The company is very fast-paced and is going through a time of evolution - for some people (like myself), this is super exciting.I think the company has set themselves up for massive growth through the years.

Pros

- great benefits - excellent WLB - learning opportunities - great mission

Cons

- change is quick

was good at first, but as the company grows support is still neglected

I loved this company. However, as the company grew the top down pressure did. Constantly expected to do more work than what was able to be accomplished in a day and then told “manage your calendar better” when my calendar was literally booked with meetings etc for 7.5 hours. Management started to care less about health problems and the echo chamber they created doing 99% internal hiring was unbearable. I grew with this company but I had to leave for my own health. They didn’t even give me an exit interview. There’s more issues, but it would entail me writing a novel and not a review.

Pros

flexible benefits and perks, good coworkers

Cons

no work life balance, not enough pay for what they expect, bad managers

Fast pace, and can be stressful environment

Was nice but has changed

Work from home but company has changed dramatically being 100% remote. Management changing often. On call in rotations. good problem solving opportunities.

Pros

Work from home

Cons

On call hours

Good benefits, mediocre culture, poor compensation

Shopify is a great company to get your feet wet in the tech industry, and to build some practical knowledge to use in your career. The benefits package is unmatched, from stock options to spending accounts. You're given a lot of room to grow as a person, and ample opportunity to develop your own skills. The culture between teams is also good, for the most part.Advancement in Shopify is abysmal, as is the compensation. Shopify operates internally as if it is two different companies, one side being Support, and then the rest of the company on another. Support is often excluded from the rest of the company, and the benefits package is significantly less enticing. Shopify advertises a fair wage, but you will find that this isn't the case. Colleagues in support make far from industry standard with no real room for compensation adjustments, and other teams make varied wages, with external hires making significantly more than internal hires.There's very little opportunity to grow, and significant favouritism with internal hiring. Managers often have little to no leadership experience, and move quickly, requiring you to play the "who you know" game to move around internally. As the company grows, the internal culture and equality among employees is diminishing quickly.

Pros

Stock options, full healthcare, spending account, personal development

Cons

Low pay, bad management, segregation, little advancement, biased hiring

Lots of baggage and extremely stressful environment

Working at Shopify has its good but it has its bad . The staff is cool and fun but the workload is way too much for the pay . Extreme baggage from merchants who yell and be little you all day . You rarely know the answers to the question they are asking as you’re not trained on everything you have to go into something called a Library to search for the answer . We had to deal with 3 chats at a time with crazy goals to achieve while management does the bare minimum. If you love your mental health you wouldn’t want to work here . Good luck

Pros

Fun staff, inclusive environment, perks and benefits

Cons

Way too much workload for the pay, stressful

Excellent job

It is one of those unicorn jobs that you miss when you leave and love while you are there. Even as an ex-employee, I still recommend Shopify to anyone looking for a safe and fun work environment.

Pros

Bonuses, remote work, yearly summits, townhalls, free online store even if you leave.

Cons

Remote work, few escalation paths for merchant issues

Supportive, lots of room for growth and advancement

Rewarding, supportive, engaged. Employee investment, training and personal development time allows for growth and opportunities within the company. Hardware is supplied and you get to work from home.

Pros

Ample training courses available and good benefits.

Cons

None to speak of

JSA position isn't inclusive and doesn't pay enough

The JSA position is alright if you need a job for three months between finding a better job, don't expect job security or a contract extension. Here's the breakdown of the JSA position:You're by yourself, your team lead is never there and your team is usually too busy to socialize, and there's no such thing as a manager or management You pick hours when you apply but your start times are completely random and you have no say, no stability at all, you can work 7-3 one week and 11-7 the nextYou're expected to answer 3 tickets an hour yet your whole job is based on 3 tickets a month and you're usually graded on badly reviewed tickets which is out of your control because people using Shopify are usually angry and blame you The ticket grading system is all based on opinion, one person will tell you to do your job this way then someone else will tell you not to do that a month later since it's a different person grading you every month which leads to a lower score which leads to no contract extensionnYou are the front line of support meaning you deal with the most frustrated people and you're expected to get harrased for basically minimum wage No benefits unless you survive a year and a half, no vacation time and you'll probably be denied any days you request offYou have to go to the "mentors" just to communicate with the other teams or get approval to escalate tickets, and let me tell you these mentors will treat you like a peasant and waste your time with their questions that make you feel like an idiot, not productive or inclusive at all A lot of the problems merchants -

Pros

Remote work

Cons

Flawed grading system, boring, repetitive, isolated, no benefits, rude mentors, no time off, random start times

Great to work for, if you can keep the job

I loved working for them however when i was hired i was part of the largest hiring inititive they have done to date, they quickly realised they overhired as we didn't have any queues and so they systematically started firing with severance the new empoyees, from a trusted source i was told that each team was to give the name of one person for them to be let go, didn't matter how good they were, i didn't make that list but when my team got absobed by other teams then i did. I was fired without cause according to the paperwork and i know many others that were as well, it sucked, i loved that job

Pros

great pay

Cons

toxic firing practices

Its fun & relaxed sometimes but live interactions are very stressful.

Its a good culture place, you get to be in one of the best growing company in the world right now. Workload is a ton, there is the perk of working from home. But still overwhelming sometimes.

Pros

Sometimes relaxed, paid training.

Cons

Workload is stressful, specially for wages close to minimum.

Great benefits, advancement opportunities, respectful peers

If you read other reviews, you'll know that Shopify gives great benefits!If you read the negative reviews, you'll see comments about how there is "no room for advancements" or "you have to drink the kool aid to advance". I have to respectfully disagree with these comments, as I (and a few others that I know) did not experience this.To be completely honest, yes, advancing is tough, due to the high number of competition (as you can see, A LOT of people are trying to advance), BUT if you are proving you're good at what you currently do, and you have the right motivation/intention, advancing is very much possible. I have advanced twice during my time at Shopify, and let me tell you, I have ZERO connection or know anyone that are in the higher ups, let alone drink the "kool aid".

Pros

Advancement opportunities

Cons

The competition that comes with those advancement opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shopify. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement