Shinola Employee Reviews

Great culture!
sales, merchandising (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI25 May 2019
didn't know anything about the company, applied because if the pay. I ended up falling in love with the heritage of the brand. I sarted part time and was promoted to full. they offer a bonus if you make month. full time gets a larger cut than part. There's sales competitions for each store! Apply!
Pros
bonuses
Cons
new company, unorganized
Collaborative
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO11 May 2019
The pace of the job was not too fast or slow
Consistently learning more about the company and the products
Great team work opportunities
Consistently was given the opportunity to go above and beyond in serving customers
Pros
Wonderful break times
Cons
Hours were very finicky
Overall
Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MI16 April 2019
Company is very nice to work and pays very well. The only downfall with this company is the company does not promote from within, even you are more than qualified for the position.
Pros
Pay, Insurance
Cons
Does not promote from within
Corporate Management is a mess
Corporate (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI19 February 2019
From an outsiders view, people believe Shinola to be an awesome place to work, until you get into corporate and see how unorganized and messed up this place really is. Management within most departments of corporate are TERRIBLE. You sit there an wonder if these individuals are even qualified and how they got hired. Directors and upper management are snotty and believe they are too good for most. Everyone around is trying to fit in to the "hipster" look, which is quite sad. The company is not performing well anymore due to consumers being bored of the products and the story. They are struggling to keep this brand alive, as most outsiders do not see. Store managers and employees from the retail standpoint see management from corporate as a joke because they are so unorganized. Also, metal watch bands come into stores with "Made In China" on them, which is opposite of what this brand tries to stand for. Miscommunication between individuals is an everyday issue and nobody really knows there place/role because there is so much cross over. Management needs to be wiped clean in many departments within corporate. I'v never seen a more terrible, unorganized and unknowledgeable set of people within one company.
Pros
Cons
everything
Managment dont know jack
Artisan (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI7 February 2019
Shinola hired 4 young engineers in leather they knew nothing about watch straps.got moved one up to superviser whole department went down.23 year old unqualified folks.they take anybody word over employee leather department is the worse .too many bosses turn around horrible i think they only care about numbers not quality.the line leads are not experienced enough.
Pros
The owner cares about the employess takes good care of them
Cons
Point system is jacked up. Pay is not enough for the work
Ok work place
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI27 January 2019
Its a ok company they just need to pay more because they want to you to do extra work but dont want to pay you for it see me i made sure i did my job and my job only
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Short breaks
Decent placeholder
Sales Supervisor/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI7 November 2018
Company designs and manufacturers cool products.

Your coworkers will be driven & passionate about the brand.

Having the opportunity to network while being paid is always a win.

There’s a lot to learn especially if you work at a busy store.
Pros
Discount, benefits and coworkers.
Cons
Too many confused corporate team members. You will be overworked.
Best Job I've Ever Had
Key Holder/Sale Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NY20 August 2018
Shinola is an incredible company to work for, and I am so grateful to have been able to. They choose their managers wisely, which helps a lot for the work environment of each store. Its easy to sell a product when you're able to believe in what the company stands for.
Pros
positive work environment, discount, benefits
Cons
pay could be better
Fun work environment, unfortunate staffing issues
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX21 June 2018
Fun to work there but overall lost great staff members because the new management team was focused entirely too much on the store’s numbers alone. Let shark sales associates be sharks and got in the way of the brand’s mission, which led to quality people leaving the company too soon.
Pros
Long lunch, benefits, great discount
Cons
New store location, unorganized management team, shark sales associates
Excellent Management an Great Culture
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA14 March 2018
I was a seasonal employee during the holidays at Shinola and was a customer before that. Great place to work! Management and employees were helpful, friendly, and professional.
Quality inspector
Quality Technician (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI29 January 2018
I Complete and control inventory audits, management is good,work place is fair, hardest part of my job would be changing of inventory process from time to time, the most enjoyable part of my job are company employee perks and holiday season and the people i work with we are like family.
Pros
40 min lunch break and town hall meetings
Cons
no paid sick days
shinola
Senior Accounts Receivable Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI29 November 2017
Young company with bright future, management is a little questionable. Not ready to be given ideas for future or what is fully needed to be able to do full job requirement.
nice co-workers
Assembly Line Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI2 November 2017
Shinola sucks.. bad management they care more about their image than there worker's and don't pay enough for the BS they put you through ..You get treated like school kids you have to ask for permission to use the bathroom and your not allowed to talk and their point system sucks they will fire you and repalce you at a drop of a dime..Not a company you can grow with.
Flip flop job
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI30 September 2017
I worked a day and a half at shinola, I made it through day one of training and I was told I had a good eye for imperfection on the product. The work environment is very quiet and everyone works at there own station, once you know your job well your able to listen to music with headphones. They tried to make the work environment comfortable when it comes to chairs, lighting and anything you need to do the job. The lunch rooms are very clean and well organize and they even provide a clean refrigerator to store your food. So I didnt care for management I was told by day to I seemed less interested and this job maynt be for me. This to me was crazy because your not able to talk and I really dont know what a interest person behaves like and I worked for general motors and that environment is more fast pace and could cost someone there life. Than you have to listen to all the back history of Shinola and how Willie from detroit knows everything and blah blah. For the most part there is alot of unnecessary things that comes with having and keeping the job. So if invited to stay be prepared foe the nonsense with management.
Pros
Lunch room, clean space, reasonable working hours
Cons
Management, the job is mentally draining
change of managers unprofessional
Watch & Leather Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NY30 August 2017
working at Shinola was nice. Everyone came in thinking the space was an art gallery. At that time we went through a change of managers so certain employees were being trained for a permanent position but the new manager kicked them out. Very odd, not appropriate or professional.
Shinola is Great!
Sales Lead/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL25 August 2017
Great place to work. A lot of customer service is involved so be ready to talk a lot!!! Company is learning a lot as well, so theres many things you have to figure out on your own.
Pros
Discount! Work/Life balance
Cons
New company so learning a lot. Corporate atmosphere.
Love working for Shinola
Industrial Sewing Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MI25 August 2017
Very strict in accepting doctor excuses, although exused you still get points. Their point scale start at 4 so they accumulate fast. After 14 points you get fired. Also Shinola is a (fire at will), you will sign paperwork on this on your first day. Despite of many things I love working here I had many great expiriences and has a great atmosphere.
Pros
Good pay, great coworkers, professionals
Cons
Point system
Innovative Company but with many flaws to be worked
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Palo Alto, CA21 June 2017
The Shinola story is definitively a strong backbone of why I wanted to work for them. Through the companies focus fro Sales Associates I managed to hone my hospitality skills as well as familiarize my networking skills with neighboring companies
Pros
Amazing story behind every product
Cons
BOH was very inefficient and cumbersome.
Great work enviroment, terrible management.
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI14 April 2017
While the company does provide us with a beautiful work space, great lunch room with ping pong tables and shuffleboards, and even gas cards for low income employees, I can't really say working there is great.
The pay is terrible. You're starting at 12 an hour, and if you manage to make it beyond the 90 day training period you're only brought up to 13 an hour. This is to assemble, sew, stitch, or build a variety of products that sell for literally thousands of dollars. You're also treated like a prisoner. You can't talk, you have to ask for permission to use the bathroom and people are fired for minor infractions at the drop of a hat.
I also have to complain about the management. They're more concerned with marketing and the company image than things like inventory and building maintenance. I've never worked with a company so disorganized and mismanaged.
Pros
nice work environment, great co-workers
Cons
very low pay, terrible management, high turnaround
Great retail workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA20 March 2017
It can be very slow during the week but busy on weekends. They are very sales driven. Not commission based but opportunities for monthly bonuses. Lots of product knowledge is required. Very big on sharing the brand story with every customer that comes in. The management team as well as other associates are great. The other workers are probably the best part of the job. Hardest part of the job is meeting sales goals and knowing all the technical aspects of the products

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shinola. Our community is ready to answer.