Sherwood Heights School

Sherwood Heights School Employee Reviews

Canada10 reviews

Fair minded

As a teacher, I have felt that the school has grown and been very impressed with the work. I am impressed with the way the staff operates. Their motto focuses on being kind, safe, and responsible. For many years, I consistently see a lot and one of my favorite is the extra fun school clubs. This school is good. This school is very interesting and full of energy of the infinite stars shining at the rainbow. I could see the clouds shining above me as I looked around. Let's cheer for the everlasting beautiful days. Reading this area is like meeting tumbleweed at a tea party. Thank you for reading.

This school is nice

This school is nice. I would like to start by the amazing learning opportunities that the school has provided me. I have been given responsibilities that I have found rewarding and challenging. I enjoy dealing with the administration, staff, and especially the students and their parents, the best bunch of people. The support is not only from the admin, but also from the parents as well. Pay was pretty good. The teachers are super sweet and amazing. After reading this forum, some of the reviewers are really warped in the information. Teacher friends feel the same, nice times with a really good program, kids and community.

Insights into Sherwood Heights School

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energizing work tasks

Management Needs to Value their Employees

The management is amazing when it comes to parents, but does not treat their employees with the same respect. Thankyou's are hard to come by and usually not heartfelt. They have very high expectations. They have strange rules. For example, kids are not allow to play in the snow on the field in the winter. They have to stay on the shovelled pavement. I guess this is so they do not have a mess in the school when the kids come back into the building, but is that not what caretakers are for? Oh wait, prior to Covid they had 2 caretakers, and during Covid only 1. Do they really care about the safety and well-being of their students? All I can say, is they have high expectations but do not show their teachers any respect. Hours are longer than most schools (8:00-4:30). Students are kind and the small class sizes are good. Even though, they have an "admission test", there are students that do not meet the academic standards of the school (it's all about the money).

Pros

Teachers are very helpful

Little Support or Transparency

The pay is okay compared to other smaller private schools. It’s quite a bit less than public and Larger private schools. There is very little transparency in general but especially with pay - there’s no pay scale or grid. The school offers little to no support. They act like they do but they do not put their money where their mouthes are. They let you know that you are expendable and replaceable, which is not the most positive or conducive work environment. They only want to make the parents happy and if it hurts the staff; so be it. They will constantly bend over backwards for parent and expect you to do the same. Grades are not real they expect class averages to be 80% and if not they will expect an explanation.

Pros

Regular pay cheques

Cons

Everything else.

One of the Best Schools to Work For

It was a pleasure to work at Sherwood Heights. The teachers are office staff are friendly and helpful. The work can get very busy at certain times of the year, i.e. exams & report cards, but working with the high-caliber students is definitely worth the extra effort. Thank you, Sherwood Heights!

Nice teaching environment

A great school to work for. I would like to recommend the teacher below see the administrative office. They are so approachable. The staff is at the front all the time, and a nice safe environment is all that I have seen. Management is open to constructive feedback and working with the children is the best part. Grading is strict, and follows criteria set by the office. I have seen the Ministry of Education and parents check on the reporting system for grades/report cards. Parents are constantly asking me to explain their test / exam mark. Parents tend to be nice, they are interested in the teaching, and the way the program is formatted it is more about the teaching.

Please Don't Apply Here! Money Talks! Your Intergrity Suffers!

Sadly this school you pay for the marks as they are a variance of the reality of how the student is doing in class - specifically exam results. Sadly the students are segmented from the real world of education and if they ever trasnfer to a public school system, sadly it will be very difficult for them to cope. Money talks! Teachers are not properly informed of the things they require to successfully communicate with parents who have at times been taken aback and have asked? "So is the report card then not a true indication of what my child is doing?" Sadly not always as the teachers make the report cards and then administration adjusts them to suit what would look best to the parents. Morals were compromised at the school sadly. If the parents demand something, they get it! Even if it isn't quite the right thing to do and bears unfairness to other students and places teachers in awkward situations caught between trying to explain to the students why, while making parents and administration happy. Security is non-existant. An angry parent I had never met before came into my classroom very upset about something that was not my doing and I was actually fearful for my safety as there wasn't anyone in the classroom but me and his wife. And I was barely given the opportunity to defend myself to the gentleman who just kept placing blame and speaking down to me - I felt threatened and was almost in tears after the experience. There is no filter system in place as to who can and cannot enter the school let alone walk up the stairs and go anywhere they please. That does -

Pros

Sorry - I got nothing!

open to constructive suggestions

Management is open to constructive feedback Amazing coworkers Working with kids is the best part everybody is collaborative towards meeting deadlines Hardworking staff Respectable environment

providing high academics in a caring environment

Exciting school environment with strict guidelines as to the curriculum being offered. Supportive staff involved in many extracurricular activities which in turn made for a fun and competitive teaching school.

One of the most interesting and rewarding jobs

This school experience was very interesting and generally rewarding. I learned a lot not only from my international students and business ans tech students but also from the majority of the teaching staff. The management was generally very good but very secretive. Every one is on a contract and things would get very tense near the end of the year as we never informed of future enrollment and whether our contracts would renewed. This was very stressful for staff. I managed to teach myself out of a position as my students became proficient enough to go mainstream. My coworkers were excellent with the exception of one who thought I was out for her job and bullied, bad mouthed and undermined me constantly. I learned to kill anger with kindness ( now some people may call that passive agressive but I remained professional during my time there). Dealing with this issue was the absolute most difficult part of my job. The most enjoyable was that everyday for me was different. I was also the resource teacher which meant I was in charge of the library and would supply if another teacher had an appt.or was absent. So some days I taught my ESL classes which was SO interesting and rewarding as you see the progress of students so quickly, then it would be tutoring gr 1, supplying for gr 4, bus and tech and then manage after school programs. I really was the jack of all trades and I did manage to master all of them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sherwood Heights School. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement