Sherritt International

Sherritt International Management reviews

Consider your commitment before signing up.
Concerned staff. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 October 2019
OK employer but management has very high expectations regarding working, such as 24/7 availability (not based on HR policies but expected by management, HR is a toothless body.). Working at a plant site has the extra risk of injury or worse. Lots of hazardous materials and equipment. Not really an issue so far in the administrative offices but potential is there as we have emergency evacuation drills on a regular basis. Also, this company supports Cuba and China so be aware of this before committing your life to them.
Pros
Good benefits, fair pay.
Cons
Potential hazardous environment. Poor management.
Sherritt
Junior Engineer, EIT (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB16 May 2019
Good work culture. Limited career mobility. Undergoing management changes, therefore some transition hiccups. An open environment conducive to learning.
Decent Place
Granulation Plant Operator/Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB10 April 2019
Decent for union workers, seem to switch out management ever couple years, i made a decent salary for the summer student position, would recommend to people.
Excellent company to work in
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB17 March 2019
Sherritt is an excellent company to work in with a lot of history but unfortunately, there have been a lot of changes in the senior management which is impacting various parts of the company, The changes are mostly towards improving the overall performance of the processes but the transition period has resulted in some confusion and turbulence,
Low price of the nickel and cobalt is also imposing some budget and resource cuts, specially for capital projects. So, the main focus of the company is currently just to keep the plant running as smooth as possible till the prices increase again.
Very good people to work with
Employee (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB30 December 2018
Excellent company to work for great benefits, going through a lot of change, people there are glad to help out when needed. Management is going through a lot of change.
Pros
great people, good opportunity
Cons
going through a lot of change
Team environment and great experience
Corporate Controller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
Entrepreneurial culture where senior management was not afraid to take risks.

The team environment within the Finance area was the best part of the job.

Great job experience with projects in Madagascar and Cuba as well as financial reorganisations in Canada during my time at the company.
Pros
Lots of opportunities, Good team environment in Finance, Good Pay
Cons
Company over extended themselves
Many great co-workers and managers
Safety Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB3 January 2018
I believe that Sherritt management has a good vision for the company, but some of the message gets lost on its pathway through the hierarchy. Most management personnel are well qualified and eager to create a great work environment, but they don't often take to heart the advice and feedback that experienced personnel are trying to give them. I think there is too much multi-tasking going on, and this stunts the efficiency of the process.

Also, there is too much "jealousy" going on between departments. As an employee It sometimes seems like we are competing with another company, rather than a different department to get things done.
Pros
Training, good perks
Cons
Too much multi-tasking. Supervisors don't often deal with the time wasted by employees
Good Team
Painter/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB25 April 2017
This is a company where the team looks out for you.
Policies are in place so there is no confusion as to what your responsibilities and rights are and the company and team upholds this. I would not hesitate to work here again.
Excellent work environment
Assistant Driller (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2017
Everyday was a challenge working abroad, learning not just work related but but as a individual as well. Management was fair, cultural experience was amazing.
Safe and fun work space
Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB18 August 2016
A typical work day started with a workplace meeting.
I learnt how to work hard and safe while being efficient and proper to work code.
Management was very well structured.
Coworkers were fun and shared lots of life skills with me while I worked.
Hardest part was working with proper PPE on very hot days.
Being able to go to work and smile every day because of the people i worked with.
Pros
Good pay and good work hours
Cons
Not many overtime hours
Family oriented and fun place to work each day.
cost and resource management (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB9 May 2016
Sherrit Fort Saskatchewan is a "family" oriented company deeply rooted within the community. I learned much working with the engineering group and applied it to my project cost control and scheduling responsibilities.
Everyone was so co-operative and such a pleasure to work with.
There was nothing hard about the job as each day presented a fresh challenge to come up with creative solutions for each situation.
It was fun to have so much trust in my abilities and ingenuity to meet the requirements of managing million dollar project management challenges.
Pros
Creative freedom
Cons
Contract Position Only, would have like a permanent position.
Great Work Environment
First Year Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan AB8 July 2015
Shop/maintenance based work doing Instrumentation. Either refurbishing valves in the shop or out on the plant grounds repairing maintaining and calibrating various instruments. Great management and training provided for employees.
Enjoyed working with the company
Electrical Engineer / Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB12 December 2014
 Design industrial power distribution system, transformers, motor control center (MCC), electrical switchgear, control circuits, relays, lighting systems and grounding as per Canadian Electrical Code (CEC).
 Develop single line protection diagrams, 3-phase schematics, wiring diagrams, panel layouts, and cable termination schedules.
 Design & preparation of layouts, schematics, EHT, and calculations associated with complex projects.
 Preparation of substation equipment layout drawings, Bill of Materials (BOM), single line protection and metering diagrams.
 Design, installation, testing & commissioning of electrical and electronics equipment.
 Design electrical disconnects, digital and analog control circuits, fire alarm systems, DCS (DeltaV) configuration, EJB and CJB wiring layouts.
 Detail electrical design of transformer, switchgear, MCC and protective systems, LV & MV Power distribution, lighting, grounding, cable tray, raceway and conduit layout.
 Conduct feasibility, design and performance research of electrical generation and distribution networks.
 Prepare material cost and timing estimates, project reports, as Built activities and design specifications.
 Design of EHT for process pipes, vessels, and building roof.
 Detail design of fire alarm devices, plant horns and electrical safety devices.
 Self-management of assigned projects, effective communication with clients as well as team based project assignments.
 Project cost accountability to perform work within budgeted cost estimates.
 Co-ordination with other Engineering groups, Maintenance,
  more... Clients and Contractors.  less
Great Co-Workers
INSTRUMENT TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB29 July 2014
Great on the floor Co-Workers. Management needs changes and to be held more accountable for their actions. Overall a great place to work.
Family orientated environment
Office Administrator Duties (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB5 February 2014
I am proud to have once been the Voice and Face of the Sherritt Family. It was my pleasure to coordinate the United Way Campaign for Human Resources. It brought personal enjoyment to provide all 800+ employees the availability to participate in Edmonton and area Corporate Challenge. This brought people from all departments together to participate in events to bring a healthy and fun competition between other companies of similar employee base.
I found it difficult and informative to work for the IT department. There were times when I felt I was out of my comfort zone. Only because I didn't understand some of the concepts. I would have excelled in this if there was some kind of training.
On a normal day I would start by checking voice mail on the main switchboard and direct as needed. Check emails to acquire the commodity prices for remotely posting to the video screen in the security building. Then check all emails and prioritize requests.
I enjoyed being the go to girl for management and all employee's. Most request's came to me first and I directed to where/who the person should turn to.
I am appreciative of all the years of experience and friends that I gained.

Thank you Sherritt International.

It is time now to branch out to new experiences and goals.

Patty Chabot
Pros
I coordinated monthly free lunches for my department's monthly meetings.
Cons
Cannot think of any Cons
Old management was great, not new management
Manager, Procurement, Contracts and Materials (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Ab26 November 2013
It was a great company to work for until they merge two divisions and laid off the wrong management team.
Routine tasks, priority turnaround times, computer work.
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Alberta Canada25 July 2013
Check schedule ahead of time, see what section I am placed in, perform analytical work according to schedule, check results, send to LIMS, discuss results with plant personnel and coworkers.. Train other less experienced personnel, talk to co workers about job and how they are doing in their lives, organize pager and plant call out duties. Management is keenly interested in budgets and ways to save money. Good rapore with them. Hardest part is doing physical sampling on occasion using an auger. Most enjoyable part is trouble shooting and talking with plant personnel to solve problems. I am very experienced on all analytical instruments and confident in my results.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Very little opportunity for advancement for all lab techs.