Sherritt International Employee Reviews

Consider your commitment before signing up.
Concerned staff. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 October 2019
OK employer but management has very high expectations regarding working, such as 24/7 availability (not based on HR policies but expected by management, HR is a toothless body.). Working at a plant site has the extra risk of injury or worse. Lots of hazardous materials and equipment. Not really an issue so far in the administrative offices but potential is there as we have emergency evacuation drills on a regular basis. Also, this company supports Cuba and China so be aware of this before committing your life to them.
Pros
Good benefits, fair pay.
Cons
Potential hazardous environment. Poor management.
Scary place to work...
Industrial Security Officer for Garda (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan2 August 2019
I was a 3rd party contractor working at Sheritt, and let me tell you... Old buildings, some of which look like they're barely standing. The chemicals they work with are very hazardous, and they don't pay much. Look somewhere else!
Pros
None really. Work is work
Cons
Hazzardous environment.
Great salary and benefits
LABOURER (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB1 August 2019
I learnt a lot working at Sherritt International, they offer great apprenticeship programs for people looking to go into the trades like electrical, pipe fitters, welding, etc
Good place to work if you can handle the danger.
Journeyman Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB18 May 2019
Really enjoyed working here. People were great. Hours were pretty good (40/week unless shutdown or emergency or you wanted OT) and double time for any hours after 8 or on call-out. Good work-life balance. Possibility of advancement seemed very unrealistic. There's a ridiculous ratio of field to office workers, too, which is strange. It's a shame the plant is a pretty dangerous place to work because if not for that I could have saw myself spending several years there. The constant hazards one is exposed to in a place like Sherritt are not worth the money in my opinion, but if you can stomach that, it's a great place to work.
Pros
Great wages, good employee training, lots of free food and company activities, etc
Cons
Bit of a drive if you live in Edmonton, lots of hazards in the plant, etc
Sherritt
Junior Engineer, EIT (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB16 May 2019
Good work culture. Limited career mobility. Undergoing management changes, therefore some transition hiccups. An open environment conducive to learning.
Decent Place
Granulation Plant Operator/Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB10 April 2019
Decent for union workers, seem to switch out management ever couple years, i made a decent salary for the summer student position, would recommend to people.
It was a productive and welcoming work place
Scanning Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2019
a typical day at work was always fun with all the friendly people, the work was boring but the pay was good so I had no trouble completing it. The management was always nice and easy to talk to if I ever had any questions.
Good Co-Workers
Employee (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 March 2019
Was able to reach into other disciplines to execute project which made the experience more interesting.
Flexible core hours allowed a good work/life balance.
Excellent company to work in
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB17 March 2019
Sherritt is an excellent company to work in with a lot of history but unfortunately, there have been a lot of changes in the senior management which is impacting various parts of the company, The changes are mostly towards improving the overall performance of the processes but the transition period has resulted in some confusion and turbulence,
Low price of the nickel and cobalt is also imposing some budget and resource cuts, specially for capital projects. So, the main focus of the company is currently just to keep the plant running as smooth as possible till the prices increase again.
Very good people to work with
Employee (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB30 December 2018
Excellent company to work for great benefits, going through a lot of change, people there are glad to help out when needed. Management is going through a lot of change.
Pros
great people, good opportunity
Cons
going through a lot of change
Productive and fun work place
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB22 October 2018
Very friendly and professional engineering team, opportunities to grow professionally, communication and collaboration between departments are on high level.
Good Experience
Chief Reliability Engineer (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB25 August 2018
Sherritt offers good experience and good work life balance. The culture is changing and the future is interesting. The workforce is very experience and the plant is stable.
Team environment and great experience
Corporate Controller (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
Entrepreneurial culture where senior management was not afraid to take risks.

The team environment within the Finance area was the best part of the job.

Great job experience with projects in Madagascar and Cuba as well as financial reorganisations in Canada during my time at the company.
Pros
Lots of opportunities, Good team environment in Finance, Good Pay
Cons
Company over extended themselves
Very helpful engineers
Senior Capstone Project (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 July 2018
Did a senior capstone project for Sherritt International. The industrial advisers were extremely helpful and always willing to give both positive and negative feedback about everything.
Managing project
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB29 May 2018
Interesting and challenging job.
Managing multi-discipline Projects for Sherritt Plant (Gas Reform, Sulphuric Acid, Ammonia Recovery, Power House, Water Treatment, Ammonium Sulphate Granulation, Utility supplies) & Corefco Plant (Nickel, Cobalt, Sulphide Precipitate, Ammonium Sulphate, Ammonia Plant), safely, within budget, on schedule and quality
Excellent work environment
3rd Class Practicum Student (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB2 May 2018
I had the pleasure of completing my 3rd class practicum in the Utilities plant. Learned so much from everyone there and would love to find a full-time position at this plant.
Fun summer student position
Metals Worker - Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB14 March 2018
A typical day included monitoring briquette levels in machines, building pallets/canisters of briquettes, and wrapping and delivering product to a specified location within the plant. I got along well with all the employees, and was a very enjoyable experience overall. I would certainly recommend.
Pros
Free Lunches, Excellent atmosphere
Cons
The summer student position only lasted 4 months
Many great co-workers and managers
Safety Equipment Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB3 January 2018
I believe that Sherritt management has a good vision for the company, but some of the message gets lost on its pathway through the hierarchy. Most management personnel are well qualified and eager to create a great work environment, but they don't often take to heart the advice and feedback that experienced personnel are trying to give them. I think there is too much multi-tasking going on, and this stunts the efficiency of the process.

Also, there is too much "jealousy" going on between departments. As an employee It sometimes seems like we are competing with another company, rather than a different department to get things done.
Pros
Training, good perks
Cons
Too much multi-tasking. Supervisors don't often deal with the time wasted by employees
If I can still work with them if given the chance, I will
Mechanical/Piping Designer (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB31 December 2017
Company is good. I worked only on contract, but I was given the chance to be part of it. The staff were all fine and the manager in the department I worked.
Excellent and supportive work environment
Payroll Administrator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2017
Sherritt is an excellent environment to work in. Everyone is supportive. I enjoy every day and look forward to going to work each morning. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people I work with.