Shepherds of Good Hope Employee Reviews

Amazing 5 years!
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  256 King Edward30 November 2019
I worked at Shepherds of Good Hope for 5 years. Personally felt supported and appreciated while working there. This is a job for the compassionate and driven folks that genuinely care about other people. You will always have good and bad at any job, but Shepherds is a great place for people who can appreciate a challenge. I loved my time at Shepherds. Would not change a thing!
Fast-paced harm reduction style workplace
Front Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 November 2019
For those who love to work for their community in a challenging workplace, this is for you. It is a very rewarding yet sometimes difficult work environment based on the type of programs this organisation runs. The staff there are great and make it worth it!
One of the best experiences of my life
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 October 2019
Working at Shepherds for almost 9 years was an experience that I will never forget. A highly supportive employer that is committed to helping employees reach their full potential. The work can be very challenging, and it’s not for everyone, however if working with the less fortunate feels like your calling, there is no better place in Ottawa to do so.
Nice team work with the co workers and management but the wage is low.
Front Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 October 2019
Nice teamwork with the co-workers and management but the wage is low. The job requirements are much higher than the wage is paid. The workplace culture is good.
n/a
Front-Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 August 2019
good management at some locations with shepherds of good hope. employees are hard working and passionate about their work and it really shows through the kind of work they complete.
Minimal Support, Would Not Recommend Working There
Anon (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 May 2019
Very disgruntled. Upper management gives staff the impression that they care but this is not reflective in their actions i.e. how they support staff in crisis or in dealing with a shift in work culture. There is constant movement within organization with management members getting promoted and job titles being changed. If you like a dangerous, challenging environment, where job expectations are changing on a month-month basis, then this jobs for you!

Of note, there are passionate staff members who do care about the work that is being done. If you can work here you can work anywhere.
What a place
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 May 2019
Rewarding to work with clients but management uses opiate crisis as a crutch to not draw boundaries and to enable poor behaviours. It feels a little icky and totally unsafe.
Pros
Use a wide variety of skills
Cons
Too many to list
Good people
Front line Shelter worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 May 2019
An exciting environment with everyone constantly at alert. Coworkers are great as everyone works as a team. Pay is not so great and the opportunity for advancement is quite slim. Management is great.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Not so great pay
Good place
volunteering (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 November 2018
Very useful opportunity to expand my pallet in terms of job/volunteer experience. My volunteering experience here helped me help others less fortunate than myself.
Pros
supportive environment
Cons
physical labour
Great place to volunteer
VOLUNTEER & COMMUNITY WORK (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 October 2018
Great organization to volunteer for, lots of opportunities available and help is always needed to help those who are less fortunate and in need of extra help and assistance
High stress environment
Employee (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 October 2018
It never stops and the management team is not present. It is a top heavy organization that pays the CEO over 130,000 per year but pays us staff 14 to 21 an hour. I would like to know the last time the CEO had to revive someone. Unless you are very strong I don't recommend it.
Cons
Clueless upper management team
Needs better management
Frontline Worker (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 October 2018
Very nice organization with good intentions but it takes a dedicated and passionate management team to keep the organization going. The staff is very supportive of each other but management is not concerned about the safety and well-being of the employees.
fun
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 June 2018
i enjoyed working there as a volunteer for my co-op experience during high school. everyone was very welcoming and helpful. i felt like a true member of the community even though i was the only volunteer under the age of 18.
Work hard for little pay.
Front Line Staff (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 April 2018
Grass roots organization, minimum wage for front line positions, senior management lacks professionalism and integrity. No shift premium for nights or weekend work.
Cons
safety concerns
Staff generally distrustful of management
Front Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 March 2018
The staff are pretty amazing and will do what they can to support clients. Clients are also amazing and it's enjoyable to get to know them. Unfortunately burnout is high because most staff don't feel supported by management. There are expectations to work despite safety issues, understaffing, and traumatic incidents. No paid leave after witnessing a death for example.
Cares about the clients
Casual Front Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 March 2018
Shepherds of Good Hope provides services not otherwise readily available in the community for people in need. The work was fulfilling and the team was fantastic to work with.
cleaner
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 June 2017
It was a very interesting place to work but under not so favorable conditions. The staff was very supportive and I developed relations with the clients. Very rewarding job
Great group of helpers
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 February 2017
This was the best job I have ever had. The learning never stopped and to make a difference in how someone views the world, well this carries a whole different vision... 5 star
Pros
You can make a difference
Cons
it needs someone to work overnights...
Ok
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 October 2015
Stressful working with homeless and mental health clients. We did not have the resources to effect change with our clients, just to help them day to day.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Stress
Great Place to work
Managed alcohol program Aide (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 August 2014
Staff was GREAT I did my school placement there and it was an eye opener!!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shepherds of Good Hope. Our community is ready to answer.

Shepherds of Good Hope Reviews by Location