SHELTER CANADIAN PROPERTIES

SHELTER CANADIAN PROPERTIES Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
daily duties include maintenance of pools, and facilities. dealing with residents issues and requests.

managed up to 6 people, planned and executed themed parties throughout the year
I worked in the downtown office for Shelter and would highly recommend working there. The Manager is firm but fair and will teach you everything you need to know about the industry, as long as you remember to ask.

While working there I was always provided with the support I needed to excel at my day to day tasks.
Pros
Amazing co-workings and good work/life balance
Don't trust management. The company is full of liars and snakes. No chance for advancement. You will be mistreated from the start then over worked. Lied to and made the scape goat by managers
Pros
None i can think of actually
Cons
Very dishonest and poorly managed
They have no HR department so if you have a problem with your colleague or boss there is very little you can do about it.
Very little support for promotion or additional education because of the disorganization and lack of training and mentoring.

Very poor salary for Toronto.
Terrible salary and benefits. Micromanaging beyond belief. Couldnt even leave a pen on the desk. They would secretly come into the office and rearrange everything. No fair on call pay. Not even worth the rent incentive
I was the previous live in superintendent, if I'm not mistaken the fourth in less than two years. From the start I was mislead by the property manager being told I would be paying no rent, well I did which is not claimable on income tax. Albeit 50% of $1300 which works out to $650 a month taken off of pay. I believe is the norm so not ideal but not worth lying about. Also told doing light duties again not the case, the more plumbing, electrical, locksmithing, etc. work I did the less they would have to pay contractors to come on site. Be prepared to do more and more work to save this company as much money as possible.

Next are the hours they will tell you 43 hours a week which is accurate when you're not on call which is every other week. With two weekends off a month. That's a total of 4 days a month off and on call for a live in is 24/7. Not just emergencies but for any little reason a tenant may desire of your services. Not to mention middle of the night calls from police, fire department, or ems looking for access to the building or a particular suite. You provide your own work clothes, including health and safety attire. As well you will have to get your own tools to do the job, not uncommon but not told that up front.

After 9 months of unbelievable stress and illness due to stress I was let go for "poor performance" because I didn't hear a phone call, they provide a 20 year old flip that works poorly at the best of times. Because of this missed call from Thyssen Krupp (elevator company) they received an invoice for $950 which was subsequently passed on to me to pay.
 - more...
Pros
Some very nice tenants
Cons
Some very nasty tenants
● Pool Maintenance – Check/maintain pumps and chemical readings of pool/ hot tub
● Ensure that recreation facilities are maintained in order to ensure a safe, clean and appropriate environment for recreation activities

● Ensure facility policy and regulations are adhered to

● Monitor the use of recreation equipment and facility

I met a lot of good people I enjoy the workplace friendships.
Pros
Long lunchs
Cons
Not enough work overall, Not enough training.
Worked very hard for little or no recognition. No job security. I liked the work but the men made it uncomfortable to work sometimes. Male dominated environment even at head office in Winnipeg. Women did not recieve the same treatment as men.
Pros
some nice tenants
Cons
no thank you for work well done
There is not much to review about. It is a job and I was paid for working and that is all to it. I am looking for something I can be happy to talk about.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
Working with a nice bunch of people that are easy to get along with. They can work as a team or alone which helps my job position a lot. Subsidized rent is a nice bonus to working with Shelter.
Pros
excellent work hours
Cons
on call a week per month
Good company to work for, would like to stay but due to management staff changes, it is no longer for me. Used to be greatly organized. Company does include fun events for staff.
top management very disorganized, found they favoured some and not others regardless of your work ethic, building managers and maintenace supervisor make it hard to work for them, found they were overly demanding and made you accountable for everything even when it was out of your control, they have you running around with your head cutt off accomplishing nothing
Pros
Cons
no oncall pay, no overtime pay
Was a decent job at the time I was employed, hours were a bit different and the job required more duties than I felt I was being compensated for, otherwise overall was good
Assisting the Property Manager with the daily operations of the Condo Building.
Collection of Outstanding Arrears from the unit owners.

Coordinate Supplier Invoices for A/P

Coordinate Maintenance Fee Cheques for A/R
i enjoy working with h r block, great staff, short term only seasonaly but over all great place
Pros
great staff
Cons
parking issues
Co workers are very friendly. Work is easy and job is easy going.