Shell Employee Reviews

Found 920 reviews matching the search See all 6,216 reviews
Okay for a first Job.
Clerk / Key holder (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB13 March 2019
Majority of the work day involved, but was not limited to, standing behind the counter serving customers. Other duties included making coffee, restocking and cleaning beverage dispensers, pulling stock from the back room to restock shelves, cleaning the public washroom, restocking beverage coolers, changing promotional signage and displays, emptying outside garbage bins, restocking window washing stations, sweeping the parking lot, wiping down fuel pumps, shoveling snow, washing windows, washing the floor, putting away deliveries, pricing items, counting tobacco and lottery stock, reading back fuel tank levels to fuel suppliers, dusting, etc.

As a first job, I learned the basics of time management, responsibility, cash management and handling procedures, and how to operate transactions.

As a franchise business, our owner acted as management, and he tried his best to address our concerns despite being the owner and manager of several other stations. This sometimes became an issue, however; as he wasn't always available at times requiring immediate intervention, or when customers or suppliers asked to speak to the manager. One system of interacting with management, which I really enjoyed, especially since it was unknown when he would be in to discuss issues, is that we kept a daily communication log (just a simple notebook) at the counter entrance that employees would read over at the start of the shift, often containing notes of the importance of certain tasks to be completed that day or upcoming events / promotions. Employees could also write down notes to management
  more... to read or messages to each other if you weren't going to see them before their shift ended.

As with any job, it had its ups and downs, but the relationships I formed with my co-workers were a massive source of motivation and mentor-ship. The atmosphere was very much relaxed, as you could often find time to chat or take a quick break IF you made sure you were caught up on your duties for the day and didn't have customers to attend to.

The hardest part of the job was probably the same for any retail job, which was dealing with challenging customers; the boisterous customers who would disturb others, the customers who would complain to no end after being asked to provide ID for tobacco and lottery purchases, the customers who couldn't understand that occasional errors in out computer systems, were ultimately beyond our control and would shift blame to employees regardless of how we tried to such handle situations, and so on and so forth.

On the flip side, the most enjoyable part of the job was also the customers. Some customers we had formed close relationships with (we once had a birthday get together after closing for a few of our employees, and invited along some of our regulars and a few others who worked for a local towing company that were regular customers as well). You get to meet many interesting people, from all walks of life, who all have something interesting to talk about. Many of our regular customers were very compassionate as well, offering to step in to defend employees from other belligerent customers, offer a hand to move something that was too large to move on your own, or even chase down and get the license plate numbers from people stealing fuel (this was before prepay only, and we couldn't always see the license plates on vehicles at the fuel pumps).
Pros
Co-workers often available to cover or swap shifts if need be, free coffee and slushies, able to work outside in the summer time
Cons
Working many days at a time, working most holidays, minimum wage
Shell Morinville AB
White Rose Diner Waitress (Former Employee) –  Morinville, AB13 March 2019
HORRIBLE. treats there employees like garbage, and when you try to get any benefits or forms to sign because they fire you for being hospitalized, they hide in their office and dont say anything to you.
Workplace injury ruined my life to this day.

Never work for someone like that.
LABORATORY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB8 March 2019
Good place to work, respectful coworkers, learned how to deal with certain chemicals, team-work, a typical day at work consisted of doing the job and communicating with others.
very very intresting
Caissière et service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Lévis, QC, 5900 etienne dallaire8 March 2019
everything was okay until they told me i couldnt handle to return changes in cents to customers. the only reason which i wasnt aware off before . but everything was fine as a begienner and that am a quick learner. i couldnt imagine how i could well sell tobacco and fuel and alcohol later fail giving changes in cents.

😂😂😂
Pros
it was all fun
Cons
im not aware of it
Very professional place of work
Student Laborer (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB28 February 2019
In terms of trades, Shell is at the top of the industry. They hold safety on a pedestal and take care of their employees. The hours are long and the site is quite isolated.
Deliverables focused workplace
Project Delivery Engineer (Calgary) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 February 2019
Good place to work if you are looking for mentorship and growth. Lots of opportunities to connect with communities of interest. The recent downturn in the oil and gas industry has affected the organizational context.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Impersonal
Passable
Caissière (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 February 2019
La direction es bien
Si vous avez de la patience ce travail es pour vous
Pros
bonne heure
Cons
pas d'avancement professionel
Productive workplace
Piping Designer/Asbuilting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON19 February 2019
I enjoyed the inclusiveness, respect, the opportunity to wear many hats and learned many facets of the refinery. Was a joy to work with everyone there.
Pros
People
Cons
lay-offs
Great Company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 February 2019
This is a really great company to work with, they are really understanding and think of their employees first indeed. I would recommend any one reading this to be happy they applied for a job here.
Pros
Work
Not What I Expected
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 February 2019
I was brought on as an engineering intern. On the first day there, I was asked to move to another department to do work that was completely different than the job description when I first applied. I didn't learn much in the technical sense because of it but it was my first experience working in a big corporate environment. I learned the structures of a big corporation and the interactions that go inside it. I can see for some people, it's a great place but for others like me, I feel like it isn't.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Didn't Learn Much
not a good for carrier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  canmore16 February 2019
easy job with no benefits, and no advancement and no carrier.
if u looking for advance yourslef and want a good carrier. this jobs are not for u. but if u dont want to grow urself then this job is good fit for u
Pros
easy job
Cons
no carrier
good company
PC/LAN Analyst / Resident Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 February 2019
professional work environment; friendly staff and diverse work force; good for career advancement; overall an excellent company either to start a career or growth.
Average min wage Job.
General Maintenance and Sales (Former Employee) –  Canmore, AB10 February 2019
Run a cash register, keep store clean, fill cars up with petroleum. Serve customers, sell lotto tickets, tobacco products, check ID and follow the laws. Re-stock items keep area tidy, etc.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Shiftwork, Part-Time, Low Pay
Drilling Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2019
Shell was an excellent company to work for until cost cutting atmosphere started. People started losing focus on being successful on projects and making bad decisions that led to higher costs. Any company that goes through a down turn typically ends up having to make difficult decisions.
Pros
Great Networking environments
Cons
High expectations, lower salary then comparable operators
Expérience professionnelle
Caissière (Former Employee) –  Mirabel, QC25 January 2019
Belle esprits d'équipe au niveau des employers, pour ce qui est des employeurs c'était assez ordinaire. Ex: heures sup. non payer, ils ne nous parlaient pas toujours comme il faut, etc.
Pros
Les super clients gentil
Cons
gérants, clients désagréable
Good job for students
Store Clerk (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON24 January 2019
This job is just like a regular job, minimum wage nothing much else. Its good for students though as the hours are decent and shell offers scholarship to employees, you also keep up with the loyalty program air miles which is a plus. With this job you learn a lot about fuel and safety and maintenance of the job site. the one hard part is safety as the company has policy's for safety to keep the customers safe, and at times gets customers upset as they cant to as the please, example: customer walking away from their vehicle while its refueling. The pump is not then monitored by the customer and risks spilling fuel if the nozzle fails to shut off when the tank gets full.
Pros
scholarship, air miles
Cons
no benefits or discounts
Clean work place,Safety Orientated
Steamfitter Journeyman Edmonton Exchanger (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 January 2019
Shell operations were at toolbox talks at the start of shift taking concerns from the workers and dealing with these issues to the best of their ability. Very good work environment tools never an issue, safety number one instilled as a culture and not just a duty.
Pros
freezies and ice cream on hot day
Cons
A little bit of a drive 45 minutes
Excellent Company
Project Accounting and Control Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2019
I learned a lot. I got the experience of JDE, QuickBooks, SAP - SERP, SharePoint, etc.

Fantastic work culture, I enjoyed a lot working with several groups globally. The hardest part of the job is get led off due to all worked offshored.
Pros
Workplace culture, work life balance, perks, etc
Cons
Most of finance/accounting work has been off-shored, Company didn't think about local staff and quality of work, just think about saving money.
Enjoyed working at Scotford
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan Alberta17 January 2019
My first job at Scotford was installing heat trace. Then I went on to become sub-foreman of a cable pull crew .Production increased 50 percent while I was sub-foreman.
Shell Canada
Wellsite Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alberta15 January 2019
Shell Canada
Supervise and plan projects in wellsite completions and interventions activities in Alberta with
focus on safety, people and productivity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shell. Our community is ready to answer.

52.4K