Shell Employee Reviews

Excellent
Customer service representative (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON22 April 2018
A good place to work.
Got a chance to enhance my Customer service skills,
Management is excellent
Work culture is good
Good party about the job is, you will meet different people every day
Good experience to work in the global producer
Reservoir Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2018
Multiple culture environments, Strong technical support and systematical training process for all level employee. management level is variable and consistently follow the company policy.
Pros
systematical planning, execution and reviewing procedure.
Cons
too much meeting
Really great environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, AB19 April 2018
A typical day at work for a Friday for example would consist of receiving multiple deliveries along with my daily tasks such as organizing the cooler, making coffee, restocking cigarettes,etc. I learned a lot about my related industries such as AGLC, various vendors and companies and repair/service companies. The management was AMAZING and irreplaceable. The workplace culture consisted of lifelong bonds between employees and regular customers. The hardest part of my job was dealing with major issues such as pay-at-pump function not working for a week due to major system upgrades or the debit function not working due to a system glitch which causes us to only be able to take credit or cash. Another difficult part of my job was leaving, as I was laid off. The most enjoyable part of my job though was forming a small town bond with all the regulars I had on my shift. I had regular customers exceeding 100 and all staff members had similar numbers. We all treated them like family and hope to still see them outside of the workplace.
Pros
Free hot beverages, knowledge on airmiles offers and instore deals
Cons
Too much service needed on site by various companies
Excellent place to work
Change Management Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC19 April 2018
A typical day at work starts at 7 am and would consist of checking budgets for pipelines and Wellpads we were building. Constant communication with delivery engineers, supervisors and superintendents to ensure smooth completion of the project.

Everyday was a learning experience whether it be a training course, meetings or on the job education. Shell employees are continually encouraged to challenge themselves.

The hardest part of the job was communicating with contractors ensuring that any changes in funding for the project where immediately communicated so additional funding could be granted.

The most enjoyable part was the people, I was blessed to work with a great group of them. Shell is very proactive in workplace balance and encourage employees to take time for themselves and family.
Pros
Workplace balance and excellent pay
Cons
To many meetings
simple and straight forward job but if not used of cranky customers gets overwhelming
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON17 April 2018
typical 8 hour shift working at a cash alone

you end up learning problem solving seeing you are the only one in store to solves issues at hand

management is completely dependent on the current manager and really does influence your experience working there

hardest part of the job is to handle customers that are usually mad. or extremely busy burst of work dependent on the hour.

most enjoyable part of the job is that you have a lot of dead time to either study for school or play on your phone
Bon travail
super-soir, Assistante-gérante (Former Employee) –  St.-Mathieu-de-Beloeil, QC13 April 2018
belle équipe et très bonne ambiance de travail. Horaire variable
l'aspect le plus difficile de votre poste
Service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Sainte-Catherine, QC12 April 2018
Retenir toutes les marques et modèles de voitures des gens qui viennent mettre de l'essence aux différentes pompes (11 pompes), au cas où il y aurait un délit de fuite et que j'aie à remplir un rapport de vol d'essence.
Pros
Aide à la mémorisation et à la concentration
Cons
Quasiment impossible à mémoriser lors de ''rush'' de clients
Journeyman Welder (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 April 2018
Excellent company to work for. Excellent money, excellent pension.

I would recommend shell.

The only negative is the politics, its a large company that has to worry about its global image. If you can separate work and politics successfully you can have an excellent stress free career working for shell.
Pros
Excellent company
Cons
Level of politics almost seems counterproductive at times
Excellent work site.
Electrical Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 April 2018
Good working culture. Very safety orientated. Excellent management team. Excellent engineering team with great leadership.Camp accommodations were second to non. Very good remuneration.
Pros
free lunches
productive
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB4 April 2018
A typical day at work for me will having a positive attitude and being on time for work, meeting the manager for the days schedule, greeting & attending customers.
Pros
experience in people skills
Cons
no breaks
Excellent camp
Albian Sands Capital Project's Lead E/I Planner (Former Employee) –  Albian Alberta3 April 2018
will work there again. Well organized.i enjoyed the friendship.the hours and the schedule were very accomodating, the fly in fly out was very accomodating and salary excellent.
Pros
great environment
Cons
Productive and fast spaced enviornment
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Comox, BC1 April 2018
I worked as a Manager at shell Had learned a lot of valuable things like team work ,Management skills.It was a busy location have to mange multiple tasks at one time.we used to meet many people from different culture everyday which is most enjoyable part of the job because i learnt a lot from them.
Pros
coffee, Brunch
Cons
10hours
Excellent Company to work at.
Industrial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Alberta31 March 2018
I worked at shell's Albian oilsands site as a plant electrician. We were bought by CNRL in 2017. I had six years working with Shell. I enjoyed working at Shell and may look to work for them in the future.
Loved Working at Shell
Welder Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB20 March 2018
I enjoyed working at Shell. Leaders and coworkers were amazing and very helpful. Learned a lot about the haul trucks. How to gouge the cracks, how to fill them. Tried aluminium welding. Got to try new things.
Terrific company
Global Category Manager - Materials (Former Employee) –  Bangalore Urban, Karnataka19 March 2018
Excellent company to earn and learn. The company encourages you to be an entrepreneur and accepts failures as a stepping stone to successes. It is a very compassionate company as well.
Pros
Work-Life balance
Cons
Great people burdened by bureaucracy
Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 March 2018
Terrific teammates, above-average compensation, safety-conscious culture...but Shell remains a company thoroughly fraught with systems and processes of such staggering bureaucracy that the majority of employees cannot focus on their core duties in order to truly benefit the bottom line. I know the usual response to such an observation is "that's just how all large corporations are" but is that really an adequate response? Shell's very top-heavy management struggles with a never-ending series of business improvement programs which serve only to further pull employees' focus from their core duties. If the good people working for Shell were simply empowered to do their jobs and improve their current processes by reducing waste and bureaucracy, the company would enjoy many times more benefit than what they currently do with each flavor-of-the-month business management program.
Pros
High salary, great opportunities for advancement, super coworkers
Cons
Bureaucracy, top-heavy management, business direction constantly in a state of flux
Good place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 March 2018
Very good place for work and enjoyed a lot while working at there and management was great at there. Gained a lot of skills and work experience while working at there.
good working environment and conditions.
Part-time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BC11 March 2018
perfect workplace, good working environment, having fun while attending and conversation with customers, gained experience to handle cash and make safe drops.
fun workplace
Service Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS9 March 2018
A joy to go to work and no drama!!
Sobeys took over and it everything changed,not for the better either.
Decided one job was enough as i was getting lots of hours with the NSLC at the time as well.
Pros
totally awesome
Part time worker here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rexdale, ON7 March 2018
I was a part time employee here as I am a student. It was a good gas station with nice peaceful and clean environment and with friendly nieghbourhood.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shell. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K