Shawcor Employee Reviews

Better places to work
Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 April 2019
They only recently started paying stat holidays, they would schedule around it and not pay you for it. The supervisors are insecure and competent as production workers only. They have no management skills and no respect for their co workers. The employees are mostly out of country workers here on work permits, so they are worked to the bone and as long as supervisors and management make bonus it's what fuels the fire. Breaks are supervised to the minute, as supervisors hang out in the break rooms to make sure no one takes an extra 5 minutes. Shifts are long, work is boring if you have no other options, then keep looking don't stop here. 1950's mentality towards how to treat employees, Safety is #1 unless you report it, and unless you are a foreigner you won't understand you fellow co workers.
Terrible safety and management
Employee (Former Employee) –  Dimsdale, AB26 April 2019
Safety is preached but not practiced. If you’re in the little boot licker club then you will do great with this company.
They are the cheapest branch that I ever worked for. They violet their own work place policies on a daily basis.
People are constantly threatened with their jobs buy the supervisors.
There will be a fatality threre sooner than later. The production crews were fantastic to work with but severely inexperienced. Huge turnover in staff.
If you value your self worth then don’t work here.
The manager has a severe red neck mentality and violates most workers rights. The company needs a severe shake down.
Pros
Employees were great
Cons
Too many to list
Poor work ethic
Tubing (Former Employee) –  Dimsdale, AB6 April 2019
Poor work ethic and work condition. Overwork to the point of breaking labor laws. Restirtion on coveralls so you had to wear the same coveralls covered in toxic chemical for days. Pipe dripping chemicals from the field that you handled. Well working outside in all weather conditions.
Pros
Can’t think of any
Cons
To many to list
Poorly managed
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Dimsdale30 March 2019
Work orders are wrong, make the job hard for new hires, safety was not followed by management. Wages wear low. Would not work for them again and recommend that no one else should too.
Pros
Cons
Not safe work environment
Go anywhere else
Yard Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB14 January 2019
Management was horrible, fought with the everyday. As a salaried employee I would never go back there. Too many ups and downs, no guarantees for work, management only cared about making money as fast as possible then closed the doors between orders everytime
Good working environment
Quality and HSE Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 November 2018
Great work environment and people
Pay is good
Work life balance good
promote young talent
The management is highly engaged in maintaining safe workplace
Coordinator
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB25 July 2018
I was a coordinator at Shawcor and moved up the ranks. If you’re smart and useful it’s a great place to work. Super chill provided you get your work done. Most of the middle Mgmt is cool but higher up only cares about $ and not the person.
Pros
Great people, ok wage
Cons
They could lay you off at any moment with zero notice
Good workplace for starting out.
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB23 July 2018
Processing client orders for both sucker rods and tubing/casing.
Skills learned consist of operations of sit-down forklift, tubulars inspection, processes behind lined tubing, etc.
One of the hardest parts of the job is the upper body strength and dexterity required, as well as long hours of standing.
Most enjoyable part of the job are the people behind the scenes. The ones that make you enjoy coming to work. And the ones that make it a fun place to be.
Pros
Company (lunch) barbecues
Cons
Slow during spring break up
Good people to work with
Supervisor, Production Operations (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
Good people to work with - very safety focused - required to work overtime as needed by production. Training material developed by the senior operators themselves - part of the learning process to train new operators
Stay away if you respect yourself
Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Guardian shop Edmonton6 April 2018
If you seek a career being a piece of human garbage then work for SHAWCOR.

Monthly $ numbrers mstter more than people. Old school management tacts that infringe on legal workers rights.
Pros
Cons
Dont have all day here
Secret Castle located in an Office Building
Senior Executive Assistant to Corporate Director (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 March 2018
Stressful. No one willing to help new people. Expected to hit the ground running with little or no direction. Cliques. Not friendly. Expected more than my pay grade. Managed, but unpleasant.
Pros
Working in a Castle
Cons
Lack of help and direction
Fast paced, good pay
Yard Labourer (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB2 March 2018
Fast paced, competitive pay. Shift work, good benefits, on site training and decent supervision. Long work hours making it difficult to balance family.
Hse
HSE Corporate Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 January 2018
This was a great company to work with at the start, they changed management staff & the morale changed. They have poor morale with the staff, treat them like un welcomed . Managers brought in own friends & family personel to work.
Pros
free lunches
Production of pipeline
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2017
A typical day at work , first thing crossover meeting in order to know what happen in the previous shift and what I should expect during my shift. After that I analyse the production floor , what I need to do or organise according to their priority .Ex; have the machines loaded, control pipe engineer specification , control machines temperatures, complete administrative task after each reel production . Make sure everyone and my self are working safely .
Each day learn something new , about procedures , machines, software ... The workplace culture is great we focus safety , quality and technology .The workplace is good there no hard part , I enjoy every minute of it . I would like to have the opportunity to work in my field or something related .
Pros
Great place to work, great admosphere . great incentive
Cons
Not my field of studies
all good
Project Manager / Lead Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2017
nice people, good environment
Great work life balance - Great environment to work in, and great coworkers. Everyone is very easy to approach and ask questions
sackbsajlcnsk;a
Pros
defrd
Cons
fdgdg
safety orientated environment, good wage, and excellent opportunities for growth
Wheel load operator (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK3 November 2017
It was a safety orientated place to work at. We started out the day expressing safety concerns and how to make the jobs easier for one another. There was not a hard day at work and the best and enjoyable part about the job were my co workers and management, They made it easier to do the job by training and offering the right tools to do the job.
Pros
good pay
Cons
shift work
Intriging and interesting
Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB5 May 2017
When the plant was running, we did a lot of work and put out a lit of product as best we could while maintaining quality over quantity. A typical day at work was fast but efficiant. I learned how to operate large heavy machines such as forklifts.

The work place culture was diverse and colorful.

Hardest part of the job was the long 12 hr night-shifts in the foam plant. As for the most enjoyable, the friends i made and company bbqs.
Pros
Pizza fridays
Cons
Long hours of downtime due to machine or equipment failure
A Well Managed Company
Drill Pipe Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 March 2017
- I am an ex-employee of Shawcor for 19 years, unfortunately, the down turn on the oilfield industry affects everyone and due to shortage of work, the company let me go. Being with the company for that long (19 years), I obviously like the way they treat their employees and what I like most is the Company Safety Policy. Hopefully I'll be given a chance to work with Shawcor again.
Pros
Good Benefits
Ok
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alberta1 February 2017
OK. Not my desired job or career field. I would work for them again. I had temporary seasonal employment. The culture needed improvement.
great place to work
painter /sandblaster (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB16 January 2017
this company was good place to work and only reason I left was because work shortage at the time, many spots to advance into, good support from management and co workers, good payscale, company lunches etc
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shawcor. Our community is ready to answer.