Shawcor Employee Reviews

Good workplace for starting out.
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Nisku, AB23 July 2018
Processing client orders for both sucker rods and tubing/casing.
Skills learned consist of operations of sit-down forklift, tubulars inspection, processes behind lined tubing, etc.
One of the hardest parts of the job is the upper body strength and dexterity required, as well as long hours of standing.
Most enjoyable part of the job are the people behind the scenes. The ones that make you enjoy coming to work. And the ones that make it a fun place to be.
Pros
Company (lunch) barbecues
Cons
Slow during spring break up
Good people to work with
Supervisor, Production Operations (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
Good people to work with - very safety focused - required to work overtime as needed by production. Training material developed by the senior operators themselves - part of the learning process to train new operators
Stay away if you respect yourself
Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Guardian shop Edmonton6 April 2018
If you seek a career being a piece of human garbage then work for SHAWCOR.

Monthly $ numbrers mstter more than people. Old school management tacts that infringe on legal workers rights.
Pros
Cons
Dont have all day here
Secret Castle located in an Office Building
Senior Executive Assistant to Corporate Director (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 March 2018
Stressful. No one willing to help new people. Expected to hit the ground running with little or no direction. Cliques. Not friendly. Expected more than my pay grade. Managed, but unpleasant.
Pros
Working in a Castle
Cons
Lack of help and direction
Fast paced, good pay
Yard Labourer (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB2 March 2018
Fast paced, competitive pay. Shift work, good benefits, on site training and decent supervision. Long work hours making it difficult to balance family.
Hse
HSE Corporate Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 January 2018
This was a great company to work with at the start, they changed management staff & the morale changed. They have poor morale with the staff, treat them like un welcomed . Managers brought in own friends & family personel to work.
Pros
free lunches
Production of pipeline
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2017
A typical day at work , first thing crossover meeting in order to know what happen in the previous shift and what I should expect during my shift. After that I analyse the production floor , what I need to do or organise according to their priority .Ex; have the machines loaded, control pipe engineer specification , control machines temperatures, complete administrative task after each reel production . Make sure everyone and my self are working safely .
Each day learn something new , about procedures , machines, software ... The workplace culture is great we focus safety , quality and technology .The workplace is good there no hard part , I enjoy every minute of it . I would like to have the opportunity to work in my field or something related .
Pros
Great place to work, great admosphere . great incentive
Cons
Not my field of studies
all good
Project Manager / Lead Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2017
nice people, good environment
Great work life balance - Great environment to work in, and great coworkers. Everyone is very easy to approach and ask questions
sackbsajlcnsk;a
Pros
defrd
Cons
fdgdg
safety orientated environment, good wage, and excellent opportunities for growth
Wheel load operator (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK3 November 2017
It was a safety orientated place to work at. We started out the day expressing safety concerns and how to make the jobs easier for one another. There was not a hard day at work and the best and enjoyable part about the job were my co workers and management, They made it easier to do the job by training and offering the right tools to do the job.
Pros
good pay
Cons
shift work
Intriging and interesting
Operator/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB5 May 2017
When the plant was running, we did a lot of work and put out a lit of product as best we could while maintaining quality over quantity. A typical day at work was fast but efficiant. I learned how to operate large heavy machines such as forklifts.

The work place culture was diverse and colorful.

Hardest part of the job was the long 12 hr night-shifts in the foam plant. As for the most enjoyable, the friends i made and company bbqs.
Pros
Pizza fridays
Cons
Long hours of downtime due to machine or equipment failure
A Well Managed Company
Drill Pipe Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 March 2017
- I am an ex-employee of Shawcor for 19 years, unfortunately, the down turn on the oilfield industry affects everyone and due to shortage of work, the company let me go. Being with the company for that long (19 years), I obviously like the way they treat their employees and what I like most is the Company Safety Policy. Hopefully I'll be given a chance to work with Shawcor again.
Pros
Good Benefits
Ok
Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alberta1 February 2017
OK. Not my desired job or career field. I would work for them again. I had temporary seasonal employment. The culture needed improvement.
great place to work
painter /sandblaster (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB16 January 2017
this company was good place to work and only reason I left was because work shortage at the time, many spots to advance into, good support from management and co workers, good payscale, company lunches etc
Cons
Inviting environment with room to grow and show critical thinking
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 January 2017
The job involved assisting in experimentation of various products. The set up, the procedure, the measurements and the analysis. The job may have different products but the general testing procedures are the same so tasks may feel repetitive on a day to day basis. There is room to grow if this was a full time position and not a summer student position. In this growth critical thinking and innovation need to be displayed.
Management does control a lot of the say since they want to meet the needs of their contract holders.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Management controls projects
Was a good company until all the Shaw's left.
Regional General Manager - Canada (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 November 2016
The senior leaders of this company came from outside of the industry . If you get on the wrong side of them, they work you out of the company in very short order.
Pros
Good customer service.
Cons
Very weak senior leadership.
Still a good place to work
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 November 2016
...even with the oil market on the downturn, the company is keeping afloat. Many challenges still ahead, lot to learn and do. Still many good people around, hoping for better times
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Long hours/weeks
Overall good Company
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 October 2016
Long days when busy, Definitely no work life balance 7 days a week going hard, management was supportive but always on a constant hiring cycle due to the high rate of turn over.Co-workers were good.
Pros
great pay
Cons
No Life
Lots of opportunity but lacking leadership
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC5 October 2016
With Shawcor their is a lot of opportunity for advancement. I found the people I worked with to be the main reason for going to work as the job is quite unfulfilling.

Day to day work changed all the time at customer requests. Employees were often told what they were doing during the day, just to be thrown in 3 more directions within an hour.

I recommend this company to anyone looking for advancement and an opportunity to climb the corporate ladder, but if you are someone looking for structure, organization and leadership....Look elsewhere.
Pros
Guaranteed full time hours in oil patch position
Cons
random hours (8-16), dont make any plans for weekends as your on call 24/7
There is so much to learn, not a very progressive company
Project Manager, Process Engineering (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2016
Shawcor is a big company or let me correct myself used to be big in the industry. Backward decision making and lack of coordination have made it a less scary rival for others out there.
Things got worse when the oil price went down in 2014. There was no strategy to get on its feet that's why most of the new hires tend to be on contract which jeopardized the job security.
Pros
Still a pretty big name, One can learn new things
Cons
Poor benefits, no job security and less place for improvement
overall good place to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2016
Overall a good place to work. Has a continuously evolving safety culture and safety is taken seriously. Recognition of employees who are value added is lacking.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shawcor. Our community is ready to answer.