Shaw Communications

Shaw Communications Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
3.9Pay & benefits

Found 505 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,373 reviews

Lots of mass layoffs and department changes

My department changed names and joined and left different departments at least 5 times in the years I worked there. Management was not understanding of my mental health concernsManagement didn't care about the employees, and kept an extremely toxic manager on when the whole department was having issues with them.I saw three mass layoffs and more restructuring of the company and departments than I can countAlways had more work than I could handle, but nothing was ever done about it.Promoted friends and people who were extroverted over those who put in the work and kept their head down.My supervisor made less money than I did (they didn't know it though)I loved my coworkersThey celebrated birthday's wellI was never boredI learned a lot

Pros

Beautiful office with lots of amentities, free coffee, good benenfits and RRSP matching and stock options

Cons

Poor management, constant fear of being laid off, poor pay unless you came into the company asking for a larger salary

Official response from Shaw Communications

4 November 2021
Thank you for letting us know. Our intention is to make Shaw the best place you’ve ever worked, and we are committed to providing a workplace in which all employees are treated with dignity and respect. We sincerely appreciate your feedback, and should you wish to speak with someone further to let us know how we can improve things, please reach out to Employee Relations Advisory Services at eradvisoryservices@sjrb.ca.

Productive and fun place to work

I really enjoyed my time at Shaw. Great culture, fantastic benefits and the ability to climb the corporate ladder were all great assets. The most enjoyable part for me was the staff and easy going nature at the office. You are able to communicate with everyone at anytime as departments encouraged that type of interaction.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

long hours but worth it.

productive and fun place to work with

Shaw is great company to work with. awesome benefits and managemnt and lots of opertunity to grow in company. Employee development options are great and great learning while working.

Pros

great benefits/

Cons

very busy

Low compensation overall, decent benefits, horrible upper management

your typical call center job with less micromanagement depending on your supervisor. salary significantly lower than Telus. Hard to advance in the company if you want more technical work, very competitive.Management sometimes will try to make your job harder with impossible metrics if you want to serve customer well. Still a remote position as of 2021A lot of optional OT at times, which is double pay in Vancouver location

Toxic work environment

This company is a joke. A typical day includes numerous meetings where nothing is ever resolved, improved, implemented. comments like "can you just keep your heads down and do your jobs" are normal when employees raise valid concerns. Management is useless, unless you need a good gossip session. Career advancement is solely based on how well you can share gossip with leaders and absolutely nothing to do with how much or how well you work. The only way to get a raise is preferential treatment where they will give you unnecessary overtime to make up for the raise they can't formally give you . The most enjoyable part of the day is when you get to go home. If you are looking for a place to kill any and all career drive this is your spot. Issues taken to HR and senior management are not only ignored but clearly reflect their preferential treatment because if they don't acknowledge it, it's not true in their eyes. This place is beyond toxic and it shows by the amount of people voluntarily leaving in the middle of a pandemic. Apply if you miss high school!

Pros

working from home

Cons

absolutely no incentives, recognition, leadership, support, accountability, and list goes on

Started out strong

I worked for many years at this company and it was such a fun place to work at in the beginning, felt like a real team player and that you were apart of a much larger team. That feeling changed about 3 years in, management changes, restructuring, we got less training, more work to do within the same timeframe, less team members, bonuses cut, no raises for the year even when you exceeded expectations on your reviews. By the time I left it was a drama filled, people pleasing, grinding you into the ground type of workplace.

Pros

Work from home, amazing health/dental benefits, stock price matching

Cons

Gossip driven workplace, Long hours, low pay, no recognition for a good job done.

Overall, very good place to work. Wages can be a bit low but fight for what you are worth. Management, at the time, easy to talk to and always has time to listen.

Pros

Cheap cable; great team work

Cons

Interdepartmental ribaldry can derail projects

High stress and uncaring management

Expect high stress cold and uncaring management who just want you to meet targets and numbers, being denied earned raises and told it's not in the budget and then watch as the executive's get million-dollar bonuses. Wouldn't be surprised if few jobs remain in Canada now that they openly outsource to fit a fraction of the cost to pay a Canadian.

Pros

Employees and Supervisors who care, which are few and far between

Cons

Long hours, High stress, poor management

Nothing but politics

Shaw offers great benefits. But the politics is absolutely disgusting. You can only move up if you have an outside and personal connection to someone in the high ups. If you're getting good sales they try and knock you down so you are stuck to keep tracking sales. Other departments are just no work life balance. You have one department where it's sunshine cuz of greta sales and freidnliness you turn a corner and your in a graveyard. Pay and benefits is all Shaw has going. But often it's not the best.

Benefits

Cons

Politics, and everything else

Fun place and flexible time at work

Shaw is Family friendly and provide good benifits. I would recommend this company to familg and friends. Giving good benifits and stocks options. Multi task assigment in the role which os good for multi learning and career advancement.

Fun work place. Rewarding

I enjoyed my time at Shaw. Free lunches, BBQ for stampede. Great pay and benefits. Company events for fundraising, blood drive. Food bank drive. Christmas parties for kids and Christmas party for adults. Overall a friendly place to work.

Pros

Free lunches, bbq, events

Great work life balance

The 20 yrs that I worked there were very good. From the supervsors to the field techs. It was a good work environment, with lots of chance for making a well paid career.

Pros

Work atmosphere was good

Not for the faint of heart

Highly micro managed (I got written up for taking too many bathroom breaks). Non sales positions still have sales quotas that are ludicrous. 95% of the calls are people trying to save money but you are expected to convince them to spend MORE on services no one wants. Who has a home phone these days? Any one who wants one already has one. Would not allow me to transfer to a department more suited to my skills unless I improved at a job I was clearly not suited for. Supervisor refused to support any of my applications to internal postings.

Pros

Good benefits package, some what flexible schedule

Cons

Everything else

Was once a nice place to work

Do not care about you, pretend to. Act like they want your success but they are number number driven and focused on their personal success. 5 minute bathroom breaks a day listed as "other" time. Benefits are amazing though.

Pros

Benefits.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations.

Everything about this employer has gone wrong.

When I started in 2015, I thought the employer was OK. The salary was decent and the work conditions acceptable, although it remains a call-center job. If you did your job, everything was smooth sailing. However since 2017 management and higher-ups have completely lost it. They have slashed salaries, working conditions, schedule flexibility, and continue to implement policies that are unmanageable. They refuse to see reason and are barreling down a path of failure. But I guess as long as the stockholders are happy and the higher-ups continue to receiver their bonuses, they will continue to destroy the working and living conditions of the workers here. I am searching for a job out of this environment as soon as possible, and advised anyone searching for employment to avoid Shaw. Their insurance and benefits are however top-notch...for now.

Pros

Free Coffee

Cons

Poor management, poor transparency, unethical work load.

Troublesome times within

Once a great place to work, but over the last two years, Shaw has lost its way. Once a people focused company, it's now very much a cutthroat business. Shaw is still stuck in the 80's in terms of how it operates, It knows what it wants, but doesn't know how to get there. Experienced people are removed from roles and moved around or moved out, unexperienced employees replace them. The same problems continue to exist, with no solution in site. The customer equipment/technology is advancing, however, the employee technology is new and dysfunctional. Often the employee is working for the technology and not the other way around as it should be, meaning days are long and stressful. Senior management live in the dark ages, their management listen and laugh at them behind closed doors, accountability is minimal in many areas of the business.

Pros

great people to work with below management level

Cons

Long hours, little to no compensation. HR afraid to do their job.

Don’t work here

Supervisors and management are two-faced. They have meetings where they make fun of staff and talk about them behind their backs. No support here...do as I say not as I do. Leader ship do not lead by example. As an employee you are not given the right support to result in success whether or not you succeed is based entirely on your own abilities. They also hire representatives from within with no management experience so they can pay them low wages. Not a good place to work!!

Pros

Good benefits.. But not worth the hassle

Cons

Lousy shifts, Supervisors do not care about the employee

Favoritism environment

Toxic environment, Your job safety, Your salary, respect,,,,, all depend who referred You.Employees health matter is just matters on paper and is a gesture.Amid COVID-19 pandemic Shaw pays millions in executive bonuses despite 1000 employees lay-off (Look for the relevant article in the globe and mail Journal)I heard SHAW is a family based company, now I realized with the massive bonus payment and lay-off what does "family first", means!!

Great co-workers, managers are liers

Management's way of dealing with staff is reprehensible. They tell you one thing and then do something else. The position was advertised as permanent and they changed it to contract so I started on contract . During my 20 months at Shaw, I was offered permanent placement twice and they pulled it back twice. At the end of my 20 months they abruptly ended my so called contract. I never received any type of benefits or end of contract compensation. I did get a really good review and a referral but was told "there is a lack of work to be done" which I know for fact is not true. Yet, they continue to bring in other contractors to do what I was doing. Department Management are liers and couldn't care less about the staff.

Diverse and Fun place to work

Before Pandemic it was a fun place to work, really diverse workforce help you feel safe. But with changes happened after pandemic managers became micro managers and it put lots of stress on employees. Culture was really good but it is getting worse day after day.

Pros

Diverse, good benefits

Cons

Lots of micro managers, lots of stress

Fun people and productive company to work at

Absolutely amazing company, management is great no one breathing down your neck, relaxing work environment , lots of incentives, lots of ways to earn more money by just doing your job. Who’s gonna say no to that🤗

Pros

Free coffee, incentives, great management

Cons

Shifts

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shaw Communications. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement