Shaw Communications
Happiness score is 59 out of 100

Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

Found 1,317 reviews matching the search
I worked as a event sales representative and it was a very fun job. We were a group of 8 doing it all of us would be sent in a group of 2 or 3 persons to an event or mall. Everyone was nice to work with and it was a very entertaining job.
Shaw offers great benefits. But the politics is absolutely disgusting. You can only move up if you have an outside and personal connection to someone in the high ups. If you're getting good sales they try and knock you down so you are stuck to keep tracking sales. Other departments are just no work life balance. You have one department where it's sunshine cuz of greta sales and freidnliness you turn a corner and your in a graveyard. Pay and benefits is all Shaw has going. But often it's not the best.
Benefits
Cons
Politics, and everything else
Shaw creates a culture of a positive work environment. Employees are encouraged to be respectful to each other. Shaw is a great place to work since teamwork is always encouraged.
Cons
Long hours sometimes
Female managers and KE support teams are horrible people to deal with . They would scream at you then play victim when employee's complained to upper managers. Poor work ethic by Second level support members. Avoid this place.PS: I was the most productive employee on my team and I would mentor other staff members. My stats were consistently in the 2%.
Pros
Good first job.
Cons
Crazy female managers... They really need to be medicated...seriously.
Worked for four years , two months and got laid off in 2016. Learned a lot here and gained a few transferable skills. Miss working here. I worked in various departments and was one of the best customer service agents. I also helped with support and training of new hires. Got along great with most of the supervisors and enjoyed helping customers understand their bills. Did pretty good with sales too even though my job was supposed to be the billing department.
Pros
Team building exercises
Cons
Shift work
Shaw is Family friendly and provide good benifits. I would recommend this company to familg and friends. Giving good benifits and stocks options. Multi task assigment in the role which os good for multi learning and career advancement.
I enjoyed my time at Shaw. Free lunches, BBQ for stampede. Great pay and benefits. Company events for fundraising, blood drive. Food bank drive. Christmas parties for kids and Christmas party for adults. Overall a friendly place to work.
Pros
Free lunches, bbq, events
Cons
The 20 yrs that I worked there were very good. From the supervsors to the field techs. It was a good work environment, with lots of chance for making a well paid career.
Pros
Work atmosphere was good
Worked here about a year before I left.The retail stores shuffle managers annually so it's a big hit or miss whether you have someone competent or a complete buffoon as your manager.During my hiring and a few month after, my manager was cool, understandable, and kind who actually knew how to run a store. We were the top performing stores months to months. Soon after the manager changed, it went spiral downward where everything was micro-managed, there were favoritism, constant nagging, and schedule mishap. A couple of employees soon left due to unreasonable demands.As for my duties as Product Specialist, I was TRAINED (big emphasis here) to sign up new customers, renew plans, take back modem and TV boxes from cancelled customers, and take bill payments. But in reality, 90% of the customers were here to CANCEL their service in-store otherwise they would need to wait on the phone for 3hr+ to reach cancellation department. However, the upper management (the ones in fancy suit) decided that retail stores do not have the authority to cancel therefore every customers should be directed to phone cancellation department. So if you can guess, this led to many angry customers cursing at us for not cancelling their service.I was making $18.50 / hour ($15 was the minimum wage) which was meh but there's also the commision which would bring it up to $23-25 depending on months. Co-workers were all awesome and we helped each other out everyday, sharing commisions and whatnot.
Pros
Commision, flexible hours, able to sit and work, sometimes empty stores for hours
Cons
Commision, angry customers, unreasonable demand by management, constant management shuffle, no career advancement
Highly micro managed (I got written up for taking too many bathroom breaks). Non sales positions still have sales quotas that are ludicrous. 95% of the calls are people trying to save money but you are expected to convince them to spend MORE on services no one wants. Who has a home phone these days? Any one who wants one already has one. Would not allow me to transfer to a department more suited to my skills unless I improved at a job I was clearly not suited for. Supervisor refused to support any of my applications to internal postings.
Pros
Good benefits package, some what flexible schedule
Cons
Everything else
Do not care about you, pretend to. Act like they want your success but they are number number driven and focused on their personal success. 5 minute bathroom breaks a day listed as "other" time. Benefits are amazing though.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Unrealistic expectations.
When I started in 2015, I thought the employer was OK. The salary was decent and the work conditions acceptable, although it remains a call-center job. If you did your job, everything was smooth sailing. However since 2017 management and higher-ups have completely lost it. They have slashed salaries, working conditions, schedule flexibility, and continue to implement policies that are unmanageable. They refuse to see reason and are barreling down a path of failure. But I guess as long as the stockholders are happy and the higher-ups continue to receiver their bonuses, they will continue to destroy the working and living conditions of the workers here. I am searching for a job out of this environment as soon as possible, and advised anyone searching for employment to avoid Shaw. Their insurance and benefits are however top-notch...for now.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Poor management, poor transparency, unethical work load.
Once a great place to work, but over the last two years, Shaw has lost its way. Once a people focused company, it's now very much a cutthroat business. Shaw is still stuck in the 80's in terms of how it operates, It knows what it wants, but doesn't know how to get there. Experienced people are removed from roles and moved around or moved out, unexperienced employees replace them. The same problems continue to exist, with no solution in site. The customer equipment/technology is advancing, however, the employee technology is new and dysfunctional. Often the employee is working for the technology and not the other way around as it should be, meaning days are long and stressful. Senior management live in the dark ages, their management listen and laugh at them behind closed doors, accountability is minimal in many areas of the business.
Pros
great people to work with below management level
Cons
Long hours, little to no compensation. HR afraid to do their job.
This place is a nightmare. I repeat. This place is a nightmare.Over the last 9 years the Company has gutted all experienced personnel in every department, without care for the customer or the employees.Management say all the right things, but when it counts, no one is accountable, and the customers and employees suffer. Things are very bad, and they will only get worse. This comes from the top, from the board of directors, you will be lied to, you are nothing, you are expendible, you will be gone soon.
Cons
Stressful
Right off the bat I was thrown into my job. I really appreciated being trusted and given the opportunity to go and develop solutions and learn as I go. My team was very supportive and open to me working on many things. This co-op placement gave me countless skills that I still utilize to this day.
Pros
cafeteria, great co-workers, ping-pong, foosball, lots of different spaces to work
Supervisors and management are two-faced. They have meetings where they make fun of staff and talk about them behind their backs. No support here...do as I say not as I do. Leader ship do not lead by example. As an employee you are not given the right support to result in success whether or not you succeed is based entirely on your own abilities. They also hire representatives from within with no management experience so they can pay them low wages. Not a good place to work!!
Pros
Good benefits.. But not worth the hassle
Cons
Lousy shifts, Supervisors do not care about the employee
Toxic environment, Your job safety, Your salary, respect,,,,, all depend who referred You.Employees health matter is just matters on paper and is a gesture.Amid COVID-19 pandemic Shaw pays millions in executive bonuses despite 1000 employees lay-off (Look for the relevant article in the globe and mail Journal)I heard SHAW is a family based company, now I realized with the massive bonus payment and lay-off what does "family first", means!!
Working for Shaw was amazing, it was the best job I've ever had and I wouldn't have left but I was laid off. The people were amazing and I had an amazing experience working for them.
Shaw Warehouse management is very caring for their teams, you're able to sit down with them at any moment and talk about anything. Hours are very flexible around appointments, childcare, any reason you may need to leave. Only ask is that the time is made up another day, which is reasonable. Can be fast-paced at times, other times casual. Things change very frequently as many new ideas are implemented to try and make work better for employees. Employees are encouraged to come up with their own ideas to make the flow of their workspace better. Sometimes in a warehouse environment, gossip and blame can happen, which is never fun, so employees are encouraged to remember that we're all on the same team, to help each other when in need. Overall atmosphere is energetic and fun.
Pros
Free lunches, flexible, people-focused, possible overtime, fun
Cons
Gossip, blame, comparison
Don't go there for work, all good at start, hire all young people who don't care, seems like if you can learn to pass the responsibilities or sell their product,
Pros
free picnics
Cons
no management structure whatsoever.
It's a pretty decent company that care about employees and always advocate work-life balance. It's a good work environment with a pleasant culture. The work part is some time be less efficient. Lots of unnecessary meeting with people don't know what they want.