Shaw Communications
Happiness score is 57 out of 100

Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

Found 1,332 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,370 reviews

Lots of mass layoffs and department changes

My department changed names and joined and left different departments at least 5 times in the years I worked there. Management was not understanding of my mental health concernsManagement didn't care about the employees, and kept an extremely toxic manager on when the whole department was having issues with them.I saw three mass layoffs and more restructuring of the company and departments than I can countAlways had more work than I could handle, but nothing was ever done about it.Promoted friends and people who were extroverted over those who put in the work and kept their head down.My supervisor made less money than I did (they didn't know it though)I loved my coworkersThey celebrated birthday's wellI was never boredI learned a lot

Pros

Beautiful office with lots of amentities, free coffee, good benenfits and RRSP matching and stock options

Cons

Poor management, constant fear of being laid off, poor pay unless you came into the company asking for a larger salary

Great company

The best company I ever work for. They treat you good , tech support and management are great and professional people, I had a good time working there.

Cons

Not many

productive and fun place to work with

Shaw is great company to work with. awesome benefits and managemnt and lots of opertunity to grow in company. Employee development options are great and great learning while working.

Pros

great benefits/

Cons

very busy

Low compensation overall, decent benefits, horrible upper management

your typical call center job with less micromanagement depending on your supervisor. salary significantly lower than Telus. Hard to advance in the company if you want more technical work, very competitive.Management sometimes will try to make your job harder with impossible metrics if you want to serve customer well. Still a remote position as of 2021A lot of optional OT at times, which is double pay in Vancouver location

Toxic work environment

This company is a joke. A typical day includes numerous meetings where nothing is ever resolved, improved, implemented. comments like "can you just keep your heads down and do your jobs" are normal when employees raise valid concerns. Management is useless, unless you need a good gossip session. Career advancement is solely based on how well you can share gossip with leaders and absolutely nothing to do with how much or how well you work. The only way to get a raise is preferential treatment where they will give you unnecessary overtime to make up for the raise they can't formally give you . The most enjoyable part of the day is when you get to go home. If you are looking for a place to kill any and all career drive this is your spot. Issues taken to HR and senior management are not only ignored but clearly reflect their preferential treatment because if they don't acknowledge it, it's not true in their eyes. This place is beyond toxic and it shows by the amount of people voluntarily leaving in the middle of a pandemic. Apply if you miss high school!

Pros

working from home

Cons

absolutely no incentives, recognition, leadership, support, accountability, and list goes on

Toxic Work Environment

This company hates it’s employees, from the top down, but especially the unionized staff. The owners of the company quite obviously want nothing to do it and it shows. It’s a high stress environment where your job could be eliminated at any moment. They don’t care about their customer’s experience. Once they’ve got you on billing it’s on to the next. Management are very adversarial and unsupportive. Basically this company does not care about people. Be they staff or customers. They will crush your soul and spirit.

Pros

Few

Cons

Toxic

Okay place to work

Team members are amazing and collaborative to assist you. Sometimes the management is very bad with gossip and lots of pressure to reach so many targets that don't make sense.

A place of broken promises

I worked there for two years, I learned that if you go talk to management or HR about problems they tend to ignore the problem rather then dealing with it, management is intimidating, I never had a problem before but as soon as I told management about things happening in the warehouse they punished me by terminating my contract, even though they promised me for a year that I would be the first hire on, they lied to me instead of letting me go from the beginning.

Pros

A few good people to work with

Cons

Too much favoritism and racism

Started out strong

I worked for many years at this company and it was such a fun place to work at in the beginning, felt like a real team player and that you were apart of a much larger team. That feeling changed about 3 years in, management changes, restructuring, we got less training, more work to do within the same timeframe, less team members, bonuses cut, no raises for the year even when you exceeded expectations on your reviews. By the time I left it was a drama filled, people pleasing, grinding you into the ground type of workplace.

Pros

Work from home, amazing health/dental benefits, stock price matching

Cons

Gossip driven workplace, Long hours, low pay, no recognition for a good job done.

Management not supporting you

- non-stop calls, made my throat feels bad- didn't get enough sleep and not enough time to eat- they make new-hire take phone calls instead of taking chats- which doesn't make sense because there are tons of tools TSR has to pull up to check. Chat provides more reaction time for new hires who are not familiar with the job.- and when there is a problem that can't be solved by TSR, the knowledge experts are just pushing TSR to another department. then the other department will push the TSR to further other departments and NOONE is actually helping the TSR to get this SOLVED. That's why the customer is always mad at Shaw

Pros

Paid tranning for 4 weeks

Cons

stressful taking calls and experienced agents won't help new hire

Overall, very good place to work. Wages can be a bit low but fight for what you are worth. Management, at the time, easy to talk to and always has time to listen.

Pros

Cheap cable; great team work

Cons

Interdepartmental ribaldry can derail projects

More companies should follow their lead

I really enjoyed working at Shaw. It was refreshing and loved that they really empower their employees and believe in one's integrity...those are 2 of the 7 characteristics that they look for in Their employees. They are the foundation of the company... empowerment... integrity... trustworthy...individuality...reliable....responsible and I can't remember the other one

High stress and uncaring management

Expect high stress cold and uncaring management who just want you to meet targets and numbers, being denied earned raises and told it's not in the budget and then watch as the executive's get million-dollar bonuses. Wouldn't be surprised if few jobs remain in Canada now that they openly outsource to fit a fraction of the cost to pay a Canadian.

Pros

Employees and Supervisors who care, which are few and far between

Cons

Long hours, High stress, poor management

It's a fun workplace

Shaw is selling an outdated technology at a very high premium. The work atmosphere is great, so are the people. I think the product is necessary and useful if you live in a remote area however, the service needs improvement. They need more boots on the ground to solve technical issues

Pros

the pay is good

Cons

rotating shifts and not really having a resolution to solve the customer's complaint.

A place where the bad are rewarded

I’m told this company has greatly changed since the good old days when it was run by the family. I never saw the good aspects. By the time I was hired it was the nightmare place it is now. Bad behavior is rewarded and the worst people with the biggest egos advance while they step on the people below them. HR is useless. When an investigation is opened and a manager is found guilty of work place harassment the employee who made the complaint is let go while the manager is promoted (this actually happened to a friend of mine!!). You are over worked and given very little credit. Most everyone there would be at least one step down at any other company but have inflated egos there. Save yourself the headache

Pros

Discounted internet and cable packages

Cons

Bad management | Over worked | Favoritism | Negative Work Environment

Great team

Team lead was very supportive and the team was awesome. Flexible work schedules. Great team support. Friendly atmosphere; overall a great experience.

Fun workplace

I worked as a event sales representative and it was a very fun job. We were a group of 8 doing it all of us would be sent in a group of 2 or 3 persons to an event or mall. Everyone was nice to work with and it was a very entertaining job.

Nothing but politics

Shaw offers great benefits. But the politics is absolutely disgusting. You can only move up if you have an outside and personal connection to someone in the high ups. If you're getting good sales they try and knock you down so you are stuck to keep tracking sales. Other departments are just no work life balance. You have one department where it's sunshine cuz of greta sales and freidnliness you turn a corner and your in a graveyard. Pay and benefits is all Shaw has going. But often it's not the best.

Benefits

Cons

Politics, and everything else

Positive work enviroment

Shaw creates a culture of a positive work environment. Employees are encouraged to be respectful to each other. Shaw is a great place to work since teamwork is always encouraged.

Cons

Long hours sometimes

Horrible

Female managers and KE support teams are horrible people to deal with . They would scream at you then play victim when employee's complained to upper managers. Poor work ethic by Second level support members. Avoid this place.PS: I was the most productive employee on my team and I would mentor other staff members. My stats were consistently in the 2%.

Pros

Good first job.

Cons

Crazy female managers... They really need to be medicated...seriously.

Worked for four years , two months and got laid off in 2016. Learned a lot here and gained a few transferable skills. Miss working here. I worked in various departments and was one of the best customer service agents. I also helped with support and training of new hires. Got along great with most of the supervisors and enjoyed helping customers understand their bills. Did pretty good with sales too even though my job was supposed to be the billing department.

Pros

Team building exercises

Cons

Shift work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shaw Communications. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement