Shaw Communications
Coronavirus update

Shaw Communications Employee Reviews

Canada1,292 reviews
Found 1,292 reviews matching the search
Constant changes, good learning opportunities. One of the few jobs that you can start without a secondary education and have a career with a pension.
Shaw seems to view their staff as completely expendable. The constant cycle of layoffs, restructuring and relocating teams is exhausting. We were told 11 months in advance that there would be massive layoffs but not to worry as there would be plenty of openings for us to apply for within the company. There were, but many of them were filled externally with several instances of hiring from Telus, rather than the existing employee base. As we got closer to layoffs, certain individuals on the "leadership" team were searching for any reason to terminate long term employees, rendering those people unable to collect the severance package. All in all, it felt very shady and underhanded as the time went by.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
No job stability
Had to deal with ignorance of all sorts from sexism, homophobia, racism to complete disregard to mental health challenges as well as was lied to by HR and management. if you're used to such big corporates you'll survive, if not find a nicer place, you'll stay healthier.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Bad culture
Productive and fun work place , working with Shaw help everyone to gain more experiance and reach the goal looking for in his future work.
I spent more than 5 years working with shaw as a controctor and was mybest time thier.
The ambience of the training group was dynamically adjustable.
Really fun and knowledgeable.

Training and tests were well defined and thought to gather Technical Information about employees. Close circuit communications.
Great company. I loved working for Shaw. Good pay and great people. I accepted the VDP package. Wonderful culture and great customers. I enjoyed my time here.
Pros
People, Wage
Cons
management
Worked for Shaw as Ube from 2004-2015 when I was laid off as a a part of a mass lay off, with no warning or reason. Returned as a contractor again in 2019 as Shaw is a good company to work for. Laid off once again due to Covid-19 and unsure if I will be able to return. Overall fast paced little tricky with work life balance but, the pay, atmosphere and people co workers and management arewell
Pros
Freedom, Atmosphere, People, Managment.
Cons
Work life balance, stress, people get laid off and fired all the time.
A typical day at work in the call centre includes dealing with customers most of who are friendly and understanding.
Management and staff are really friendly and helpful.

Workplace culture is wonderful.
Got to travel all over Ontario great experience all expenses paid for van and driver motels paid for and food allowance good product to promote very good winter coats provided
Pros
Good benifits
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Shaw Communications?
It’s not a bad company if you work there however we started to work from home due to Covid 19 work life has been difficult. They expect you to work more and adjust right away. Had compilations from working at home due to the place where I live Management did not believe me until I had to prove what was happening. Also ever since we are working at home they expect you to be more available even if your ill. We have not had a chance to rate our managers as of late either or how the company is doing. They also do or inform you of your rights as an employee at the company now. They want you to not know your rights. My job is a combation of customer service calls retention calls and loyality calls in which we have nothing to work with now. Moral is low and they don’t seem to know why
Pros
Great benifits. Good pay but they combine my work with other departments and we are overworked, overwhelmed and underpaid now. Plus they made it harder to get any commission now
Cons
Company lost its way they combined our role into handling sales resolution and retention
You have to overwork yourself to death daily, without adequate pay for the job.
When you tell your supervisor about the issues and stress on the job, they just want you to get lost as if you raise your voice you are the problem for them.

Most people (Agents) working at Shaw are really great, its the company's greediness that is taking a toll on agents taking calls and 5 chats at a time.

YOU WOULD GET FIRED IF YOU SPEAK UP
Pros
need no experience or qualification
Cons
Poor scheduling, poor pay-rates, poor management, overworked, Way too much stress, not proper tools for the job
Great company to work with but do not expect an accelerated promotion because of your previous employment history. You will need to build a new profile in Shaw.
Pros
Very elaborate training and responsive leaders
Cons
Promotion is based more on age in company than previous experience
After having spent 8 years in this company I can honestly say Ive grown as an individual and learned a lot of valuable skills on the job. Highly recommend this place to anyone who can get their foot in the door. However, beware periodic company shakeups and management changes, they often lead to unexpected layoffs, and I dodged a few.
The job is stable, in that it is pretty hard to get fired or laid off. However the company reorganizes and restructures nearly every year so what you get hired to do is not going to be your job for long. There is very little empathy shown by management, you are basically a revenue generating robot. They try so hard to act like they have a positive culture, but they dont care enough to actually do anything other than telling everyone how positive they are.. They ask us to be open and give feedback and voice our concerns, but when you do that, you are taken less and less seriously every time. You cannot negotiate pay at any point, even if you are amazing at your job they would rather see quality people leave the company than pay them what they are worth. Most employees are replaced with students who dont care about the job, and are fine with the low pay because they dont pay rent yet.
Pros
Extended benefits
Cons
Toxic culture, poor compensation, turnover increasing every year, treated as a set of numbers and not a human being
Overall, a good company to work for if you enjoy working with people and you enjoy working in a technical environment. Most managers are easy to please, some are not. The job can be tedious and you may find yourself overburdened with tasks if you are competent and hard working. Most coworkers make the job enjoyable, some do not.
Pros
Good company to work for, excellent health care benfits, fair salary
Cons
Some managers need to trained
Amazing benefits and great employee discounts but the pay is low for the amount of negativity you deal with everyday. Always want more for the salary received.
Benefits
Cons
Schedule work life balance
Shaw is a very Good Company. The workplace atmosphere is very conducive. Great benefits and if you are the type that is really career focused.....It is a great place to Work. They have my highest recommendation.
Overall, the work environment at Shaw is conducive for improved productivity. There is always a space for personal growth, good communication and teamwork.
I have worked at Shaw for 6 years. Co-workers are friendly and lot of learning on job. Schedule is flexible and good benefits. Supervisor are very supportive.
fantastic place to work
very collaborative way

supervisors are wonderful

They care about their staff well being

A lot of company tools to help your day to day work
Once you establish a great rapport with upper management, lateral moves from department moves to department within Shaw then becomes easier.
unfortunately a lot of who you know and not what you know still applies within the Shaw community.