Sharp Bus Lines Limited

Sharp Bus Lines Limited Employee Reviews

Great place to work but it is a part time split shift. This is a great position for those that are retired or or just looking for something to do during the day. Not a job to live off of. Average pay is 1200$ a month which isnt much to live on. Politics in office can be stressful as well as working with children of many dexterities. Ie special needs. If you have time during the morning afternoon and love working with children I would recommend this job.
Pros
Bonus every 6 months
Cons
Not a living wage job.
Everyone is nice. Management is great. Office staffs and dispatch crew are super helpful and super nice. My first week of work I was terrible and was messing up so much and thought I would get fired for sure but they did not give up on me. Instead they had a trainer train me over even though I had already been trained. Really appreciated that. It's not a perfect. It's got some cranky mechanics at the shop and some mean drivers but they represent only about 4% of the workplace. The rest of the people are all nice
Pros
Great work environment, great management, great people, decent pay
Cons
No dental/health benefits
In the winter time doing a walk around to make sure all is safe for travelling is a pain however it does need to be done every day Seeing the children and their smiling faces is more than worth al the money in the world
Pros
Family orientated
Cons
Inconsiderate other drivers
2 managers seems to be vying for attention all the time. They are loud and juvenile. Staff seem to leave all the time. Not a good place to work for. They don’t seem to care for their drivers. The big manager seems to spend his time either lying or covering his butt on his mistakes. Glad I am out of there.
Pros
There isn’t any.
Cons
Mismanaged, people leaving all the time and nobody cares.
Sharp used to pay travel time but with covid -19 it changed everything. Pay is less then 1/2 if you were a distance driver its not available sadly. Great people just not enough to live on.
Pros
The people you work with and kids
Cons
Hours and pay
I have been with Sharp since I got my B license. The training they provided was excellent and ledt me feelimg very well prepared and confident. The company has been nothing short of amazing. I love my job, the management team and the company. I plan to be here a long time, with plans to advance. Driver trainer, dispatch and then who knows! There are many opportunities for growth within this company.
Pros
Great family atmosphere, ability to bring my daughter
I really enjoy working for Sharp . The supervisors are very nice and friendly. Unfortunate that pay is low for what I consider a huge amount of responsibility.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
short hours
Their rate of pay is within the norm of school bus companies. However, especially now with the Covid-19 pandemic, we are not paid enough and should have some benefits. School bus drivers are responsible to make sure students get to school safely and on time. I would say that precious cargo should be taken more seriously as a very important job that requires many skills. Not only to make sure your driving safely and following all the rules of the road but to also handle it with the distractions of happy, noisy and sometimes not very well behaved kids. It can be stressful which requires a great deal of patience and focus. Not everyone could do this job. We need more recognition and to give us more reason to wanna stay employed as a school bus driver. There is always a great need for school bus drivers. And its because it's not a job you can do as your main source of income whatsoever. I am a single mom. I will not be able to remain an employee because I cannot survive with these wages and without benefits. Sharp is a great company to work for other than that.
Pros
Bonuses, friendliness and good as a second income
Cons
Not enough hours, low wages and no benefits
Sharp Bus lines is an excellent company with good values. They value the employees and treat everyone with respect. Management is very friendly and approachable, they always willing to help.
Why would anybody want to work for a company that told their employees that they were going to keep 15% of their pay for themselves during the COVOID layoff? A week later they reversed their policy because the Ontario government said they couldn't, otherwise they would have been happy to pocket their employees money for themselves. This is the whole attitude at Sharp, money first, everybody & everything else second, including safety. They pay lip service to safety, but are more concerned about cutting corners to protect their vehicles from damage. They say they will discuss the matter with a manager and get back to you but they never do. They have different pay scales for drivers despite everybody having the same license requirements and training regime. I used to enjoy my job but working for these clowns has taken all the joy out of it. Not to mention the pay and hours are not worth getting out of bed in the morning for. They have the contract for the next eight years in this area, what a shame as the good companies to work for have left town.
Pros
Cons
Poor pay, poor attitude.
All I'll tell you is steer clear of this junk company. The cheapest, stingiest piece of junk you'll ever work for. Nickel and dime for everything, smile to your face and F you over when your back is turned. There is no professionalism in how management deals with issues. I can go on and on and on, but I have better things to do. Just do yourself a favor and stay away. Trust me.
The admin and other drivers are reasonably friendly and create a positive work environment. The issue I have is parking my bus close to my place so I don't have to spend the time and kms driving back to the yard twice a day. I did the math and showed SBL how they would save over $150/mth on fuel alone by parking off-site. I checked a variety of locations where the bus could be parked and give the admin that list. They finally phoned several of them but only offered $50/mth so no takers. I was told that it was a "privilege" to park off-site and if I didn't like that I could leave. Given the investment they had already made in my "B" license training, and the savings to them in fuel to park off-site, I was surprised by the administrator's negative response; I thought he could he could have given a more respectful response that would have been an economic benefit to the company. Then again it could also have been a bad day for that particular administrator.
Pros
Caring presentation
Cons
Low pay; high responsibility; no benefits
This company bid cheap in Niagara and they got in because of LOW cost. How do they do this. Off the people who works for them. Don’t let this company take advantage. Stand up for yourselfs.
Pros
Part time
Cons
Poor pay
The company has grown to big and it has lost touch with employees. There is a lot of sYing the right things but this is really a poorly run company. So many people are not coming back in September. Look at working somewhere else.
Cons
Bad management
There have been so many dispatchers in and out of this company. They don't care about the full-time staff. If your a bus driver you get spoiled . Mostly because of the managers. They talk to you in private and you tell them things and then all of a sudden it's used against you, they only ever seem to tell you when they don't like something about what you've done, but they let the people who do nothing and have attitude stay in their job and so nothing about it.
Pros
Sharp days
Cons
Management, hours, pay, no support, no acknowledgement for full-time hard working staff, 5 days a week 10 hour days..
I worked for Sharp for a few years but with the uncertainty in the world do not feel will be returning for new school year. Will miss fellow drivers but the management is unprofessional and cannot make a decision with checking with head office all the time.
Pros
Fellow drivers comraderie
Cons
Lack of professional management
I would recommend sharp bus lines to anyone they treat you with respect and bend over backwards for their employees they don’t expect you to do anything they wouldn’t do themselves
Pros
Friendly staff
I have followed the comments here recently and am not one to post comments. I can say that with 100 percent certainty that during a driver’s open last year, drivers were promised the same benefit package we had with our previous employer. All requests since the start of last year fell on deaf ears. It is common knowledge SBL so please have more integrity when you respond to comments. You won the contract in Bradford on simply low price. How do make your business work, pay less.
Pros
Great drivers in Bradford
Cons
Need to be paid more
I have been made aware of this website and have reviewed the comments in ernest. I am a new driver to what we call SBL (Sharp Bus Lines). I was hired last summer on the premise that we would receive benefits commencing September 2019. I am a recent retiree and felt this would add additional income and subsidize my limited retiree benefit plan. I attended an en masse meeting held last spring and it was mentioned at the meeting benefits would start September 2019. I specifically recall this and was one of the reasons I decided to proceed with choosing this new career. The benefits have still not arrived for drivers, which were promised in May 2019. I am not hear to cause issue, but the executive management group must realize that the promise was made over a year.
Pros
driving children
Cons
cold winter a few times this year
Sharp I have worked with sharp for (almost) one school year now. We have had a lot of changes with office staff this year which has made the environment less cohesive but I have to say that everyone is trying 100% to make it a more positive experience to work under. I understand the issue with benefits however when I was at the prehire meeting, I heard they would try to bring in a benefit package-I didn’t leave thinking there would definitely be one. Through this covid time, I have had office staff phone me , text me or email me checking to make sure my family and I were doing well. This says a lot in my book, feeling like someone cares enough to check on you in tough times and taking that extra step to stay in touch I like that sharp has enough spare drivers to cover your run if need be. This is an important issue to consider when choosing a company to work for and if I really needed time off I had no issues with request. I find everyone in the office approachable friendly and quick to resolve any issues. I think charter work could be improved to make it more fair but with all the changes in the front office I’m guessing it is to be expected and will improve once we are back. The service technicians are fabulous, always courteous and helpful no matter what issue and have always treated me with respect. I have really enjoyed working for sharp and would highly encourage others to join this family!
Pros
Family atmosphere, approachable, supportive
Love working with the kids, they are adorable and sweet -all ages. Sharp employees care about their job and are always looking to improve the atmosphere. I find Sharp Bus Lines to be a fair and decent place to work with the owner and management to have a genuine interest in their employees and customers well being.