Sharp Bus Lines Limited Employee Reviews

Great atmosphere to work in
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Amherstburg, ON3 May 2018
The staff and parents (more often than not) are friendly. So, it's a great atmosphere to work in, especially that I've been involved in children's church type ministries before. Why I selected a little bit less of a star rating for salary is because of the scheduling for bus driving makes it difficult to obtain a second part time job. But this would be the nature of the industry and not as much reflected on the company. Overall, I enjoy it! And this is a much better company to work for compared to others I've been employed by in the past.
Pros
Enjoyable Atmosphere to work in. It's a great position if this fits your goals, skills, and personality/interests.
Cons
Not a big con, because it depends on one's goals, but the part time schedule makes it difficult to find a second part time position.
Undercutting
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2018
I only worked here for two months because I was offered better pay somewhere else. I told them I wanted to stay if they could match the new offer but upper management refused. All the managers who were there have since left (one under scandalous circumstances, if it's true).....I believe they got the contract (in September 2016) because they undercut First Student (which was unionized); therefore providing the same job at less pay for anyone willing to work (and a lot of people weren't, as all of Toronto discovered that September.)
Part time employment too much downtime with no pay.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Downtown driver Toronto.24 February 2018
Same as every other school bus company. This industry has a mentality that
as a school bus operator (driver)your a dime a dozen in replacement value.
Pros
Part time employment. Good for retirees and disable persons looking to stay employes
Cons
No comment just do my job to the best of my abitilities
Central location
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON5 February 2018
This company seems very unorganized and unprofessional both in there dress code & communication. Staff seem abrupt on the phone. Seems like there is too much discussion about others that should be kept private. Safety & accessibility don't seem to be a priority.
Pros
School hours only
Cons
Limited income potential
difficult employer
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON9 January 2018
poor working conditions, with lack of significant compensation or appreciation for personal dedication. Driver training follow up staggered and inconclusive
Cons
expect to much for to little return
Awesome place to start
Professional Driver (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON1 December 2017
Before I start I have to say I love working at sharp bus lines the job is like no other. It will fill you with pride it will make you feel important it was and for the next few months will be the single most rewarding work experience this life has shown me. Sharp gave me a start and a hope and management is awesome to work with. Unfortunately as a young father it’s financially unviable this position is perfect for those who aren’t in it for money alone (retired with pension etc). If the pay was a living wage there is no way I would consider leaving.
Pros
Working with awesome kids
Cons
Very low pay
I love to drive with is have been doing for 47 years and currently hold a B Z license
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 November 2017
A typical day is driving school children to and form school safely.Many drivers on the road do not follow safe driving nor defensive driving. Management is supportive and it is a good place to work. I am a Professional Driver and talk it very seriously. The hardest part of my job is controlling the children and having them follow School Bus Rules. The most enjoyable part of my job is a happy and safe day.
Pros
Most kids are great
Cons
Unrully kids
Loved working there
Professional School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON13 November 2017
Only left because of the part-time hours. This job is great if you're looking to top-up your income or you are retired and want to keep busy while earning some extra money.
Pros
Great support from office and shop staff
Cons
Low wages (due to part-time hours) and no benefits
love it
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Ingersoll, ON10 October 2017
I drove school bus. I learned I could drive such a huge vehicle. I loved my manager he was great and flexible to work around your home life. It was almost like a family type of environment. Oher drivers not respecting the rules of the road. Loved dealing with kids and loved I was home every night
Pros
great work life balance
Cons
pay is not great
Good workplace
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Simcoe, ON21 September 2017
I, m doing this job because of time flexibility and most importantly, I like driving. I learned patience And be calm. The hardest part of the job is to control kindergarten students. To spend time with kids is the most enjoyable part of work. Staff is very cooperative and helpful.
Long days.
Division Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 September 2017
Sharp Bus Lines expects you to work 50 hours a week with low pay. There is always pressure to hire drivers and pay them minimum wage. The family will not put money back into the workers pockets.
Official response from Sharp Bus Lines Limited
11 September 2017

At Sharp, we maintain the provincial standards for allowable & maximum hours of work per the Employment Standards Act of Ontario, and any overtime that is worked is properly compensated. However, there can be long days, as with any industry or company.

We aim to create an open and welcoming employment environment where employees are empowered to speak to management if they feel under compensated or have other suggestions.

Dont work at Sharp
Driver (Former Employee) –  Kitcheber27 August 2017
This company is miss managed. They dont care about the driver and pay them crumbs! Low wages, no benefits and the driver is constantly lied to by management. They dont back up the driver .
Pros
Cons
To many!
its good
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON15 August 2017
there is no room for advancements
they choose favourites instead of most qualified
pay is poor but if you need family time for emergencys they are amazing its a good place to work for
Great job if you like being a part of your community
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 July 2017
It's an Overall great company to work for, however, the nature of the part time split shift leaves little to no time for additional employment, and with summers off and zero benefits.
Wages are based on mileage of route, not hours driving, therefore making it actually less than minimum, wages which I think is an outrage!!
We are not paid our worth.
Only reason I stay is because I enjoy driving the bus and the kids.
Pros
Some awesome field trips
Cons
Low wages, no benefits, little or no summer employment.
Good for retired/single person or second income
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 July 2017
Because it is seasonal and you only work 5-6 hours per day split between morning and afternoon, the job does not pay more than $300/week. Also, because of the hours worked you really cannot have a second job to make up the difference.
fun place to work
Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Simcoe, ON10 July 2017
the staff and shop personal are fun to work with and the buses never look dirty and always have fuel in them and know what you are doing everyday and has excellent people
Pros
short hours
Cons
location
Fun
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Guelph On18 June 2017
Enjoyed the kids, most were friendly and well behaved
Great job for someone semi retired or just wants to work part time this is a great job
Nice People
School Bus Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON12 June 2017
Everyone was friendly to work with. I had no issues while working at Sharp Bus Lines. I enjoyed working in both Midland and Orillia. The apprentice mechanic is very helpful.
Pretty good place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON20 May 2017
Wasnt a bad place to work i was a salary position no overtime but if you needed a dayoffyou didnt get nailed was steady work i work in the garage upper mangers seemed pretty honestish some times they would bend the the story in thier favor but mangers would have thier fav employes just go to work mind your own business and work
Pros
Steady
Cons
Trust
Nice place to work
Yard Person/Office Help (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON17 May 2017
Days here were very relaxed and allowed me to get done the things I needed to in a timely manner without added stress. It was easy to learn the tasks I was asked to complete and I was provided with any help I needed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sharp Bus Lines Limited. Our community is ready to answer.