SHAPES FITNESS CENTRES

SHAPES FITNESS CENTRES Employee Reviews

Fast-paced at peak times, management at my location was the absolute best, head-office is difficult to deal with at times. Regular training implemented, with pay
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Weird shift hours
Hired me initially for full time, then slowly cut my hours to under 4 a day. Then attempted to cut my wage to minimum wage, from initial rate of $12.65. Plus, they refused to pay for CPR & first Aid recertification, even though I was solely responsible for the children in the Activity area.They want someone that the parents can trust, but they won't pay them enough...I do NOT recommend this place as a long term job, Unless it's a second job for someone.
Pros
Free workouts, had fun with the kids
Cons
Misinformation from management, lack of direction and training
Management includes the owner, under him is his son and under that is his wife. If you like getting criticized daily, have somebody else take credit for your work, have your manager call you down or make fun of you then this is the place to work. They have unrealistic expectations of their staff for minimum pay and expect you to bend over backwards and have all the free time in the world to prioritize them.
Pros
-*Free* gym membership (just the equipment)
Cons
unnecessary stress, long terrible hours, bad pay, unrealistic expectations, will set you up for failure to make themselves look good, encourage scamming potential clients out of their hard earned money, no support for anybody less than management, daily harrassment
Super rude management, can't speak up for yourself. Environment here is horrible, your mental health and confidence is challenged everyday. I would not recommend this gym.
nothing to say, you don't want work there. Stressful pay as less as they can, let's you work as much as they can. No benefit no insurance. extremely bad workplace culture. no respect
The thing I love most is that I just need to show up 15 minutes before and stay shortly after, No sales. I have felt very supported and feel that I am offered various opportunities through out he city at various locations.SO far it has been a great experience. No complaints. I started in Nov. 2018
Pros
Pay is good and fair market grade as a yoga/barre teacher
Cons
sometimes classes are cancelled but you still receive half your pay for showing-up
For a trainer, it is a great place to start and develop the interpersonal skills that are associated with an entire session. I have gotten to know so many people and have helped them reach their goals, and by doing so I have gained such an valued set of training methods. What works; what doesn’t work, how people respond, how to manage and deal with certain problems that usually occur. Management is less than ideal, quickly respond but will not change their ways to better the environment. Systems for Booking are really old school, extremely disconnected from front end staff and frowned upon harshly to try and connect with them. There are no team building events. It’s like being your own boss most of the time, however with that also comes more responsibility to have each client fill out a home made reference sheet. If I were to ask the manager of trainers to do so, all of the questions would not be anything she had experience seeing from me. If clients don’t show, you don’t get paid. Your lively hood relies on someone else’s motivation to make it to the gym. If your sick, you call your clients to cancel. However these seem fair it’s not the first thing you want to do when you have your head in the toilet. Especially when you have 10 people to call, that takes 5 hours to get ahold of, then to get reemed out for not contacting them. If you work less than 2-3 days a week, it is hard to have a consistent schedule. It can change daily, so a printout a few days before won’t be concrete enough.
Pros
Freedom, higher than minimum wage, opportunity driven
Cons
Management, not getting paid if clients don’t show
Management sees absolutely no value in their employees as people. Unless you're going to bend over backwards and take cr*p from upper management don't work here. They require you to give them your availability for the entire upcoming month on the fifteenth on the month prior, BUT they don't even post the schedule sometimes until the first day of the month that the schedule is made for. Nobody in management actually has a business degree. It's a nice gym that's being run to the ground. Your coworkers may be amazing though. You'll really bond by discussing how much you all hate your jobs.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
management
Coworkers are pleasant and fun to be around as are members. Management (at least where I was) was lacking, dramatic, and made you feel awful if you didn't manage to make a sale. Was told I would be working full time but I had to fight in order to get even close to 40 hours per week.
Pros
Free membership after 1 month, commission
Cons
Long hours, bad management, belittling of employees.
aside from management and benefits, I enjoyed working with my clientele. They were all energetic and happy as per my management skills
Pros
commission
Cons
bad management