Shannex logo
Shannex

Shannex Employee Reviews

The company is a juicer-style one.

Stressful workplace, shifts scattered from morning to night, schedule changes spontaneously, have to keep an eye on the schedule all the time. No updates given to the staff in case schedule is changed, so it might be a surprise.Job quality required, management does not provide support for the staff, getting a vacation is a problem. Very big discrepancy in values of workplace claimed and demonstrated by leadership team. Grew tired of weekly meetings with repeated concerns voiced by staff and no action taken by management. Only lip service provided to staff and the residents. Team is overworked and understaffed. No time to take a break for food or washroom. So disappointed to see how much is invested in good looking building and how little is done to support the team.

Pros

Don't know

Cons

Too many

Unprofessional

I absolutely loved getting up in the morning and helping my clients get ready for their day. Although the way shannex care at home treats their employees is disgusting, the management is TERRIBLE. Workers are unappreciative, underpaid and are over worked due to constantly being understaffed. They would hold work meetings just for them to talk bad about the residents.I called in sick and was told that I had no choice but to come into work.. they do NOT care about their clients, it’s all about the money.Most shifts are only 3 hours long, oh and expect to get harassed through phone calls and emails all day long asking you to work 7 days a week.

Bottom dollar

Parkland may advertise they are resident focused but it all comes down to the bottom dollar and revenue. They stretch their employees to the max by adding on duties they were not part of their job description. Staff are always told they are salespeople and pushed to “sell services”. Healthcare for profit should be the new logo. Upper management shows no appreciation for staff and seems to think it’s safe for one nurse to give meds to over 50 residents ? They will tell you anything to get you in there and then do not deliver or charge the resident extra. No budget for what is advertised.

Pros

Well kept facility

Cons

Cheap, no support, unrealistic expectations, no budget

Bullies

I worked at this place and never again ! The management love to bully their employees making us feel less then them ! Casuals are treated like they done exist but who picks up the slack hmmm casuals !

Pros

Love the clients

Cons

Long hours, no recognition

Better management is needed.

The work environment is toxic. The management are very disorganized, but still seem to micromanage. The toxicity of management leeches down into the staff, and creates a very unhealthy environment to be part of. There is a lot of burnout, talking behind other’s backs, and badmouthing that takes place here. You’re never able to find time for your breaks, but when you do, management reams you out for not doing your job or getting things done in a timely manner. Worst place to work. An overhaul of the entire management and staff is desperately needed. Turnover is extremely high.

Pros

Going home.

Cons

Management, barely any breaks, toxic work environment.

Not even worth it

You have great coworkers, but management sucks, they don’t have the employee back, they only care about the looks, the staff and resident comes second. Your always short staff and 5% of the time those your materials work properly. You have to fight to get pay your overtime, because often your paystub is not correct. Very toxic environment where management leave the resident to do what they want with no consequences. No consideration of the staff when making change in our routine, and they expect the staff to do everything at once. They make a bunch of promises, that they don’t keep. When you bring a issue to the management they pretend to listen and when it get worse they act like they knew nothing.

Pros

Good coworker

Cons

Long hours, short staff, management

does not live up to its own values

Shannex is a company with high values and expectations. Quality of life of the residents comes first. On paper this sounds nice, but the reality is far from this. There is no leadership among the management team. Everyone is out to fend for themselves. Care staff bend over backwards to complete the tasks they are assigned but with daily staff shortages and sick calls, this becomes almost impossible, especially if you are trying to make a difference and actually add some quality of life to the resident's lives. There are no opportunities to advance anywhere. Management is not open to any suggestions how to improve the lives of the residents but also the staff. Union culture is deeply entrenched in the homes, which makes it difficult to make any change for the better. There is high staff turnover among care staff but also management, hence things never get addressed. It's survival mode on a daily basis.

Pros

compensation, benefits, beautiful facilities

Cons

poor leadership, task focussed not quality of care focussed

Extremely unorganized, terrible management.

Worst job I've ever had. No training, no direction, you are expected to do jobs that other people were hired for or should be hired for. Very stressful and disorganized, no one knows the answer to your questions and management is nowhere to be seen.

Pros

The residents were lovely

Cons

Management was the worst I’ve ever seen

Terrible management & stress-full

I will never work for Shannex again , working with for 2 1/2 years caused me nothing but burnout and stress. Constantly being understaffed and everyone’s hard work is unappreciated. Management doesn’t care about the well being of their employees and think of staff as just number. This has been the worst company I have worked for , I would not recommend this company for a friend nor would I put a loved one in their facility

Benefits

Cons

Constantly short staffed, in-appreciative, under paid, rude management, overworked

Union controlled company

Keep away especially if your going into management!No support. Talked a good story but never backed you up or came through. Too concerned about hurting employees feelings instead of managing professionally and running the the company. Stay away!

Cons

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Shannex?

Patient focused. Good teamwork.

Great place to work. Everyone is clear about their roles but work together well. The med pass is heavy but once you get used to it, it isn't any different than a med pass at any other nursing home. I can see myself here long term.

Family owned, owner really cares, rewarding place to work

overall i like my job and the team i work with. the work can be challenge but it is really rewarding. the salary and benefits are good, there is some flexibility when it comes to work schedules.

Pros

salary, benefits, team, nice facilities

Cons

short staffed sometimes

Worst place you could ever work

SHANNEX is by far the WORST employer I've ever had. From the managers calling their nurse (in front of other staff and myself), "A fu**ing bi*ch", to constantly being bombarded by staffing, on a constant basis. They provided no PPE during the beginning of COVID-19, leaving us stranded without protection. Same again, when we had an outbreak of Gastro. I contracted Gastro from one of their patients and had to stay home and was severely reprimanded for that. Then again when I cut my finger off and had to have it surgically sewn back on, they fired me for it. This is a facility that does not understand health, how to deal with nursing staff or how to even deal with anything. This is the worst place I've ever worked, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. Myself and 4 other nurses quit because of the TOXIC nature of the managers. DO NOT WORK HERE!! ALSO THEY LIE ABOUT THE WAGES!

Shannex

Great to work for. Good schedule, great staff, benefits, education points, leadership. I have had an issues with this company. Client cantered care throughout

Horrible company

Management is out to make themselves look good to corporate. Said they had an 'open door policy' for staff, but listen to nothing employees have to say. Very unappreciative to staff that are over worked and very underpaid. Treat their Staff like second class, are heard talking about employees in a very unprofessional manner. Turnover is very high ... no respect. Don't call in sick!

Pros

Regular employees are great

Cons

Low pay, disrespectful, no family balance

Good place

I truly enjoyed working with the residents as much as I could. Great people. It is very fast paced and some days were better then others. As is in any job. The staff is great and one of the ladies helped me a lot. Once you get the swing of things your good to go.

Good

I am casual so I have to build seniority to get more hours. Some weeks I can not get full time hours. Management is very caring and unstanding. Work environment is very positive.

Good co-workers, but terrible management

We had a good basic team, but Senior Management was very bad since new GMgr came in Aug.2019. We had to work through our lunches and did not get paid for the time. She started charging people who wanted to eat there when it used to be free like other places. Put allot of pressure on staff to do more for less. Brought down the quality of food (i.e. frozen) to save money. Residents complained. I understand now the reputation of their Mississauga location is starting to get out in the industry and people are staying away.

don't work there

Shannex has had many problems with the care of others all because they don't want to put the money forward to resolve the issues. Individuals making decision are barely qualified to hold the positions they have. The ones that do are held back and can't move forward.

Need management overhaul.

Short staffed consistently Most staff stressed and unhappy with work culture. Management does nothing with staff concerns. There from 8-4 and not a minute more regardless of situations that require attention. They are paid a salary, and nursing staff often left to deal with what they should have. Cannot address manager problems because 2 managers married, and 3rd manager best friends

Poor management.

Poor understanding of staff dynamics. Poor follow up by all levels of management. Unfair treatment of staff. Favoritism among staff. Unsupported.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shannex. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement