Shannex
Happiness score is 58 out of 100

Working at Shannex: Employee Reviews

Canada196 reviews

Overworked, Underpaid, Underappreciated

I started out absolutely loving my time at Shannex. Great atmosphere, amazing colleagues. Then they started adding more and more tasks to my workload and the pay didn't rise to meet it. After a year of working there, I was offered a position with the exact same rate of pay, which is about 20k too low for my position. Insulting, really. Would recommend working here if you're not hard up for money. It's fantastic. However, if you're working the job because you need a paycheque, be prepared to work and work and work and have nothing to show for it except ulcers and debt.

Supportive Workplace and Culture - Great Team Members

Shannex has a lot of amazing employees and each site is diverse in their own way. There is always someone to help or to guide if you are ever needing help. While yes, it can be stressful at times due to it being a 24/7 environment in health care, the company does a lot to show appreciation and this is one of the few companies where you can see the CEO in person and have a conversation - the word dedicated doesn't even begin to describe the senior and front-line teams.

Insights into Shannex

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Ability to learn new things

Fast paced Innovative

This company has grown too fast. Slow down and settle in a bit. Always go go go. It is expected that you are available 24/7 as a manager. A difficult time to work in LTC due to staffing shortages and complexity of residents health co morbidities.

Pros

Supportive

Cons

On call expectation. No down time that is truly your own

Overall not a great place to work or live

I work for shannex in one of their assisted living facilities . I wish I had better things to say about the company. The residents are absolutely amazing to work with and it is very rewarding , however , the company seems to care very little about their staff. The wages are very low considering the type of work and the work load . Short staffing is a huge issue , staff often work alone which is not safe for staff or residents . It can be a very stressful environment. Management does not listen to staff concerns , and they do not step in and help out when we are short staffed leaving one person to do the work of 2. There is almost no appreciation for the staff and the moral is very low overall. Even on a good day when fully staffed the ratio of resident to staff is too high , when we bring forward these concerns nothing is done . Another issue is that residents are not properly assessed. We have residents living in assisted living floors who really need to be in long term care , some of them have not even been assessed for long term care which makes the workload much heavier . I would not suggest shannex as a place to live for my loved ones due to these issues . Very little recreation for residents , they are often bored and under stimulated especially those with dementia . Staff try their best to entertain them but there just isn’t enough staff to meet everyone’s needs . Might be good if you’re looking for experience working with seniors but be prepared to take on a second job as the wages just don’t cut it .

Pros

Good benefits, staff meal plan

Cons

Over worked and under paid . Improperly assessed residents . No employee appreciation, low moral, very little support from management

Do not live OR work here!

The pay is a few cents' more than minimum wage. I worked as a part-timer in a job position that should have been a full-time one. All in all I spent several years at Shannex and never received a raise. At Shannex, every penny is a prisoner. Residents/clients pay thousands of dollars per month to live at a Shannex facility, but in my opinion they do not get their money's worth. After 5 p.m., there is nothing for residents to do other than watch television or read.

Great Work Culture

Parkland Truro is a fantastic place to work. The people are kind, helpful, and patient. The only problem is the wage is barely above minimum wage. The work is physically hard (housekeeping and wait staff) but very rewarding. I would still work there if they paid a living wage.

Pros

Great work culture

Cons

Low pay

Left nursing position due to lack of resources to provide sufficient care

Unfortunately my experience with Shannex wasn’t the best. Though I think the company overall has the right idea, and the right intentions, a seemingly lack in oversight of some of their facilities makes me fearful for resident safety, and employee wellbeing amidst an already under-pressure health care system.My time with Shannex Inc. was spent at their Caritas Campus located in Halifax, NS. Leaving my job here was difficult, as I had grown fond of the residents under my care, and many of my wonderful care staff colleagues. My reason for leaving, however, was I felt that this particular facility did not provide me with the proper resources I needed to provide the caliber of care I have always prided myself on providing to my patients/clients throughout my nursing career.This facility is considered an assisted living facility, and is equipped to run as such for the most part. However a number of the clients living here require a higher level of care than what “assisted living” entails. When you ask management if these clients are at least on their radar for starting the process of transferring them to a long-term care facility, vague answers, and no explanation is given often times.Overall, I wish I didn’t have to leave a job I was passionate about, due to not being able to provide the level of care these residents deserved, and I genuinely hope something is done to improve the morale, and oversight of this facility on a corporate scale before staff retention becomes even more of an issue.

Pros

Benefits comparable to Industry Standard, Clean Facility, Great Residents, Great Care Staff, Full Time Hours

Cons

Poor Management, Low Morale, Improperly Assessed Clients, Lack of Resources, Poor Communication, Profit Driven, Unsafe Work Environment, Lack of validation for employees

Good to start for recent student

If you are a recent graduate from a PCW or other course, it is good for job experience. The selfishness, blame shifting and finger-pointing are ridiculous so keep applying at other places.

Pros

Pay and benefits are okay if you are in a unionized position.

Cons

Treatment of employees and favoritism of some employees is terrible.

Incredible work environment

Love shannex but it doesn’t pay much, it’s a lovely work environment but it doesn’t provide enough hours to pay the bills unfortunately. You’d need another part time job as well.

Amazing team, rewarding work

It is busy work not unlike any other nursing home. Staff love the residents but get mixed up in the drama too much. Residents are cared for the best they can.

Pros

Benefits, team

Cons

Lack of consistency with leadership

Keep away at all costs!

Poorly run company and let's not get into management. The company image is all that matters. Short staffing is rampant and work load insane. Clients complain about many things. Equipment not functioning properly on a daily basis, but management tells you it must be your fault. Very stressful environment, more so with the bullying and intimidation from certain co-workers. Management not interested about various complaints. Better talking to a wall. Nice buildings though. But then again, what do they say about never judging a book by its cover. On a positive note, many awesome co-workers and learning opportunities if time permits.

Great management, coworkers, and residents

It is a great place to work at. Multicultural environment. Great management, great coworkers and great residents. Overall it is a great place to be in and work at.

Horrible to work for

The environment is toxic.Backstapping, no empathy for team members, they preach one thing and practice another. Incompetent Management, given positions that they are not qualified to have.Staff overworked and underpaid.

Fun with great people

Great place to work, yes it's hard, yes you go to work to work. But the special part is the people you work with. We all have our grumpy days who doesn't, but when a resident smiles at you, it makes all the difference. Making the residents feel at home.

Pros

Paid breaks/ good benefits

Cons

My gaw gets sore laughing 😅

Extremely rough working environment

It’s been a terrible environment , massive amounts of staff turnover , employees that have been for years leaving. Some great people in there but terrible working environments.. sometimes 36 people to two staff Beautiful home, wondering residents, lots of room for incredible improvement

Pros

BeAutiful

Cons

Very understaffed, overly micro managed

A very relaxed fun work environment

I love working at shannex Its a fun place to work where I can be myself and accomplish my tasks easily The residents make the job easy because they are for the most part amazing people I've learned alot at shannex and met some incredible people including other staff and managers they've become a second family Its definitely a place I feel welcomed

Pros

Paid lunches Pension Medical Always something to do ...never boring

Cons

Drama at times Some residents can be a handful

Superb Company

Over 35 years My career has been in a different field – transitioning to the heath care, I will say was overwhelming, but the people you work with day in, day out are outstanding. My manager just knows if I have had a hard day or not - she checks in to offer support. The most enjoyable part of my day is the residents & my co-workers, live/laugh always.

Poor management and pay

Overworked and underpaid. Hiring issues consistently. Toxic environment. Pay is pathetic and advancement hardly ever happens. Do not recommend working there. Turn over is high.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Stressful no overtime poor pay no rewards

Not Great

Good for experience but overall not great in terms of culture, pay, management and professionalism. If you are look for base level experience then it is beneficial.

Great place to work. Very supportive, opportunity for growth.

Beautiful buildings, residents are well cared for, great meals and a very homelike atmosphere. They have a wide selection of training and development programs you can participate in for free to help build knowledge and confidence in your role and to prepare you for other roles in the company. Senior leadership team very involved, often on site to support front line staff, show appreciation, collect feedback.

Pros

Free parking, excellent benefit plan, RRSP matching, vision care, braces, Efap, massage therapy, free training and development courses

Cons

Long term care can be challenging but very rewarding.

Great place to work at, kind coworkers and managers, and lovely clients. Pay is above average and there is a yearly bonus. It’s obvious the company cares about their employees.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shannex. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement