Shannex Employee Reviews

Wonderful residents & staff, good culture
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB7 June 2018
I have been with Shannex for 2 years. the company is very resident focused & is always striving to do better. The work is fast paced & the company is very progressive and fast changing. If you enjoy meeting new people, helping others and working with a team, shannex is a great place to work.
Pros
benefits, competitive salaries, free parking
Cons
heavy work demands
Needs to be better managed and not such a high employee turnover
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 June 2018
Some great things i learned through company but alot of things need to be fixed. Listen to employees more and help them. Listen and ask how they are doing make them feel like they are apart of the team.
Pros
Meet great people
Cons
Poor salary
Not a place to work
PSW (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB26 May 2018
Had a temp part time position. Gave two weeks for just position and asked to stay as casual and was given the okay. My last scedualed weekend to work management stating i didnt work at all. ( have other staff for witnesses that i infact did work) and also fired me.over not working that weekend .. never called to tell me i was fired. When called to find out how come i wasnt getting shifts to my phone was told i no longer work there. Then emailed and in email they state i quit... they need to get their stuff together!
Pros
Love residents
Cons
Not a place that anyone would like to work
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB2 May 2018
When hired management was aware of current medical issues and had to be hospitalized. Once returning to work they let me go with no explanation. The management is very sneaky and talk to other employees about you behind your back. They expect 1 person to be responsible for the whole floor while cleaning rooms and bathing clients. Not a safe process
Pros
Clients
Concierge/Maintenance (Part time) (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS9 April 2018
good place to work with good hourly rate and benefits .
friendly atmosphere
recently managment trying to reduce hours
overall a nice place to work and maintain the family .
Excellent place to work
Recreation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Riverview, NB27 March 2018
You get to take a work van home with you and are entrusted with many responsibilities. Fast-paced work days with something you can take pride in. Very much positive energy and meaning in the workplace.
Pros
Bring your work van home
Cons
Race against the clock
Getting Worse
Server (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB18 March 2018
Originally Shannex was always a place I wanted to work, and when I got the position I was very grateful. I believe this is why it took me so long to see how poor it is. Unfortunately, due to worsening management, Shannex is going downhill. Of course the residents are absolutely lovely, and I sincerely hope that the management begins to be more considerate of their employees.

I didn't appreciate the attitude that certain things became "a waste of time" when the new manager began. I also found that there was a lot of gossip within the work environment. It was disappointing, as I saw Shannex as a positive work environment at first.
Pros
Slightly above average pay
Cons
management
Worse company ever, always big turnaround with new staff.
Observer (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia16 March 2018
Do not recommend at all. Poor management with huge staff and mangers replaced often.
Don't acknowledge staff and always negative never the positives. Worse company to ever work. Gossip is horrible. Would not recommend this place to anyone to work.
Staff over worked due to short staff always.
Pros
No pros.
Very poor work environment
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB19 February 2018
I always did everything I could to make my clients feel taken care of. It grew difficult over time to spend any time with them at all.

Day shift staff was doing the work of three people and sometimes taking on LPN duties as well. PSW’s were doing some things that are way outside of their scope of practice. Sometimes they would be working inside the kitchen and doing care as well due to short staff situations. In extreme short staff situations one PSW would be caring for all clients during a shift, including nights.

Clients were way overcharged for small things that they needed, tissue, gloves etc. Many people were fired during my time there and some were not given any reason at all. Management is lacking in skills and support from higher ups.

I feel like their most important bottom line is the almighty dollar. There was very few times I felt valued as an employee while there. Most of my fellow staff felt the same way but many needed the work and had to stay.
Pros
Loved all the clients
Cons
Too many
Great product for clients. Needs to improve employee relationship
Management (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 February 2018
Great focus on clients, however, the employees require better support to address the clients needs and execute their role. The management team is streamlined, therefore spread to thin. The culture is one of uncertainty.
New and Still in Growing Stages
Client Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS5 February 2018
Overworked. Times working one person with 15 clients.
Suppose to be 5 Star Treatment, but not given.

Not allowed off the property during breaks. Management watch you on TV during the day, then call you if you sit down for 5 min.
Benefits
Cons
Fun workplace. Employees and residents are very nice.
Client Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 January 2018
Been working here for four years now and I can see myself working here for the next years to come. Employees are very approachable and residents are nice as well.
Poor work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB16 January 2018
I worked there for a very brief time. Despite it being awful and no adequate training, I was let go because I was basically not a good "fit". If you are going to work at Shannex be prepared to be thrown in, expected to know it all in a short time and just work like a machine. They treat you awful there. If you are new there and don't know the job. Good luck! They can't keep people there.

Also I noticed there appeared to be a lot of employees there with the same complaints. A very negative environment. No one was happy working at Shannex. A lot of the cooks had come to Shannex in the kitchen because it was "easier" for them there.Basically behind the scenes the ones preparing the food did not care.
Poor hygiene despite them focusing a lot of their training on hygiene.

It's a shame considering Shannex is suppose to be a higher end retirement home and it is costly. The residents deserve better than what they are paying for.
Pros
Beautiful building
Cons
Poor management, not a friendly work environment, dirty kitchen, poor hygeine amungs the kitchen staff making the food
staff were easy going and enjoyable to work with
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Quispamsis, NB4 January 2018
Very nice home with lots to do for residents, even has a bowling alley and movie theatre.
Staff were very nice to work mwith and more then willing to show me the ropes and where to find things when I started there.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
All night shifts
Terrible management leading to a negative work environment
CSM (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB26 December 2017
Management does not care about employees, they are solely concerned about making money as opposed to caring about employees or residents. Employees are being asked to take on responsibilities outside of their scope of practice with little compensation. Shannex is run as a business with the sole purpose of making as much money as possible, as opposed to creating a safe and welcoming environment for the residents. I love my coworkers and residents but the atmosphere management has created is really disappointing/negative environment and ruining an otherwise great job
Pros
Great coworkers and residents
Cons
Management, overworked, forced to do tasks out of my scope of practice, no recognition or respect. The list could go on
Great company to work for!
Past Employee (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 November 2017
Great management, co-workers are friendly and positive, lots of opportunity for recognition. They even have their own in house learning center. Orientation was a bit lacking but over all 5 stars!

The work is tough but very rewarding.
Pros
Management cares, clients truly come first, and people are friendly.
Cons
Light on orientation
Client care
CCA (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS9 October 2017
I very much enjoyed my time working with the Alheimers and related dementia clients. I had come to a period of my work career where I felt I was not giving 110% to my clients.
I had worked in this field for 34.5 years.
poor company to work for
employee (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB7 October 2017
Unreliable, untrustworthy and scary to work for. if you are not in the click your out on the street literally. Hard to get hours if you work there as anything but full time. Expected to do more than humanly possible and if a miracle happens and you get the work done, you still get poor work performance reviews.
Pros
regular pay check
Cons
poor pay, hypocritical, untrustworthy, sneaky and underhanded
Do not work here!!! I guess unless you need the money
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 September 2017
Simple. if you have somewhere else to go then go. Dirtiest place i have ever worked. All a show. They work people to death. Back breaking work. Do not work at least at the Mississauga location.
Pros
nothing
Cons
hard back breaking work
Dietary/Waitstaff (Current Employee) –  Truro, NS16 September 2017
Good staff, good clients, its hard work! Good work but can be tough if hard work and constantly being busy is your thing, then this is the job for you!
Pros
great personalities always around
Cons
Hot, the elderly get cold easy so there is usually heat on