Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts
Happiness score is 78 out of 100

Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts Employee Reviews

Canada46 reviews

hotelfreeenvironmentplaceemployeetimegoodmanagement

High base hourly wage compared to culinary industry standards but hard to get a raise

- Good work life balance- Management can be lack of understanding of your duties and ask for too much- It's hard to internally move up (May defers in other departments)

Pros

High base hourly wage

Cons

Lack of opportunities

Some great people

Some great people but barely any advancement opportunities. Problems don’t really get solved. High manager turnover and staff are not trained well. Definitely not as refined as it should be

Insights into Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts

What people like
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Clear sense of purpose

Staff move very fast its like a step up hotel.staff work for a year or two find a managment job.

Human resources very much feel you uncomfortable at job.No respect for hardworking people.staff who just doesn't want to work saythank you thankyou all day grow more in the company.

Pros

No union.That is the best part.

Cons

Housekeeping staff all from one country speak same language give very hard time to others.

Amazing culture

An absolutely memorable place to work. I would recommend it to anyone looking to be in hospitality. The employees are extremely welcoming and everyone has a common calming essence about them.

Pros

Staff are amazing. Great work life balance

Cons

Very high standards for work you, always have to be on your best behaviour and put your best foot forward.

Stressed Managers

Managers were squeezed by the Financial Director and they were constantly cutting down employees. This was before COVID-19. Lobby lounge staff always quit. They go through quite a lot of other mangers too. Work Culture of the corporation has to improve. Building infrastructure was poor for all operations.

Not the most inclusive environment

No opportunity for growth and favoritism was conspicuously rampant in the work culture/environment. My urge for advancement was never met and the work environment felt very secluded

Pros

free lunches

Cons

underappreciated

Not an experience I enjoyed.

The brand sounds attractive but the culture I have experienced was toxic, bias, competitive in an unfair manner. A lot of negative disruption has been happening in an extremely short period of time resulting in having qualified people leaving slowly to be replaced by amateurs. The company lost a lot of its wonderful core values in the past 3 years.

Horrible place

Two faced management bad mouthing you behind your back. One employee is recording other employees during casual chat hoping he will get them to say something bad about the hotel and report them at HR. No sick days for any staff. Must rake unpaid leave or vacation.

Very good place to work

If you are looking for a place to grow ..in the hospitality industry this is a perfect place to start. Great team, management is very understanding and accomadating ...free meals and great pay.

Family

Everyone here is truly a family, they all look out for each other no matter where you work everyone steps in to help one another. It's fun and luxury blended in one environment.

productive and fun workplace

Work at the shangri-la was an amazing experience and i would like to recommand this compagny! Even it's a big compagny , everyone can feel lbe a part of this family.

Great place to work!

This is a great place to work and a great company, you can make good money and they treat you very well! Excellent team to work with! The only reason I left was due to other stresses and commitments in my life.

Great Work Environment

Great Work Culture to be in. Shangri-La hotels and Resorts have amazing properties around the world. It was a pleasure working for them. Would highly recommend them.

Luxury hotel setting

Busy workdays but fun friendly team with competetive pay and lunch included and clean uniform wash. Professional workplace, with an emphasis on providing luxury service.

Good experience for Internship

I did my internship at Shangri-La Hotel and Resorts. We didn't get paid for working there. It is also a fun but fast-paced workplace environment. I learned how to work more faster, develop my knife skills, learned how to cook some of their meals. Their workplace culture is excellent, they don't tolerate any racism which the workers can develop stronger relationship to each other. For me, the hardest part of the job is carrying heavy stuffs and the most enjoyable part of the job is to develop good relationship to my colleagues.

Not a great place

The most stressful work experience I've ever had. Management treats you like you you can do nothing just criticising for every single thing and never appreciating your effort. They don't fire you they just keep telling you that you're bad. I truly hated that place.

Pros

Free meal, good money

Cons

Everything else

Great hotel & Location, that's it

Great hotel and bar as guest. the company itself has no culture and mistreats their employees. There is not unity and no clear vision. The food served is mediocre at best. Everybody works in their silos and no one communicates properly.

Pros

free lunches

Great place to works for

Liked the environment, active people, great employee facilities, Healthy atmosphere team building Brand building Helping clients Employee retreats Hotel meals

Amazing place to work!

Great training program! Opportunity to grow within the company. Working at the shangri-la hotel your able to meet so many amazing people and really develop your customer service skills.

Pros

Free lucb

Cons

Split shifts

Fun place

It was a good experience working for a luxury hotel chain, People are very friendly and nice. Everyone is helpful. Mangers are co-operative and so is the staff

Pros

Free one time meal

Cons

Shift work, schedule changes

Very enjoyable place to work

All in my Resume. A tipical day of work allways started with morning meetings, planning the days work. Walk down the building. Check on contractors work. Check on room PM . Depending on the time of the wonth could also be eg.. Looking at P & L, Budget, Project due dates, etc...

Pros

Accomodation, free food, health and life insurance, pension plan.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

4.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement