Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts Employee Reviews

A fantastic place to work and learn
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 March 2018
• Worked and studied in culinary department, gained experience of luxury hotel operation.
• Everything was well-organized with a easygoing work environment.
Pros
Fantastic work environment
No policies or procedures, the training on equipment provided was very lacking. It was difficult completing tasks in the time frame given
Service Associate - engineering (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2018
There were no procedures written or training with equipment. For example the fire systems I was trained on how to evacuate but not in regards to hot works permits. The culture there is awesome and coworkers are driven to complete the tasks. However some of the maintence issues were temporary fixes that kept reoccurring. In terms of procedures there was a lot lacking however I did enjoy my employment there. Also with three different groups handling maintenance in the building it's a bit of political nightmare.
Pros
Free lunches, work culture
Cons
No standard procedures.
World Class
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  常州市31 January 2018
World class hotel chain, was an honor to be working for them. Great system and training and great management team, learnt a lot and benefitted a lot as well
Oasis in the city
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  National Capital Region22 December 2017
-Excellent mentors
-One free lunch every duty
-Shangri-La Food Safety Management is a virtue
-Proper usage of kitchen equipments
-Best for staycations
Pros
Freelunch
Cons
Split shifts
Total Quality Management
F&B Executive (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2017
Shangri La Hotels and resorts is probably the best company to work in Canada, both their hotel properties in Toronto and Vancouver are the ideal workplace and is everyone's dream place to work in hospitality industry.
Pros
Work life balance, excellent mangement
Shangri-La Hotel
Banquet Server, Bartender & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 July 2017
As a banquet stuff, I need to have the ability to handle multiply tasks all the time. Dealing with the customer needs to make sure provide the high quality service all the time. Teamwork is very important point within a group. Also, the department need to build a good relations with other departments. A proper planning is necessary for the whole process, such as the menu, the floor plan, the beverage ordering, and so on.
Setting new benchmarks for toronto
Executive Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2017
It's a beautiful product which has been mismanaged since it's opening and has no systems and structures in place. The Management and operations team are all in their comfort zones and do not really want a change
Pros
Brand image
Cons
Mismanaged since opening
Wounderful Work Experience
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 February 2017
Management discusses over all event that would take place upon your shift so that all team members are aware and ready for the day.

Superb work environment where in different cultures and background would work together for a common goal.

Was able to learn how to handle high profile guests with elegance and precision.

The most difficult task is to defuse a certain situation where in a guest is unpleased.

Work environment, coulleagues, and the work itself is enjoyable.
Pros
Possible extensions of work hours, Free food on break, Luxurious surroundings
Cons
Pressure
People are friendly and hardworker
Food and Beverage Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 January 2017
Very nice place to work. Love the Core Values and Ethics that Shangri-La have and I still wish I am part of the company but I felt like I didn't have a future with them.
Excellent corporation to work for
Hotel Opening / Executive Assistant to GM (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 September 2016
I was the Executive Assistant to the General Manager and therefore my job entailed me to be the ears and eyes for the General Manager on a daily basis; whether he was in the hotel or not.
I developed strong relationships with my colleagues and clients on a daily basis which made my job extremely enjoyable.
I learned that no obstacle is ever too difficult to resolve no matter the issue.
The hardest part of working at the Shangri-la was saying goodbye when I was transferred to open another Shangri-la hotel.
Pros
Working EOD shifts; required staying in the hotel and writing reports.
Cons
I cannot think of any.
Friendly environment
Food & Beverage Cost Control Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2016
Everyone was friendly. All the managers take time to teach employee. Even it was an internship I still learnt a lots. The internship provided great opportunity for intern to learn about cost controller, inventory, and purchasing
No Opportunity for Advancement
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2016
If you're a front line worker, you might as well be a front line worker for the rest of your employment term. When managers leave, another manager will come in and take the role. The employees have little to no say in their departments, have a slim chance of moving up the chain of command, and basically become bitter overtime. Management and HR also tend to play favourites. If you're on their good side you're golden. Very hard to approach HR department due to attitude and lack of interest in employees.
Pros
Good co-workers, exposure to VIPS/guest experience, relatively clean environment
Cons
Average tasting lunch provided, management plays favourites, no room for advancement
Wide variety of culture
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2016
There are thousands of people going through Shangri-La, some are to stay the night others are just passing by but the environment is very divers and welcoming. You see different people form different places and learn something new each day.
Pros
Very welcoming environment
Cons
Pressure
office work, prepared reports , price qoutations. all my co workers are active and humble we support each other as a team management was good .. we ha
Purchasing Clerk/Staff (Former Employee) –  philippines14 January 2016
office work, prepared reports , price qoutations.
all my co workers are active and humble we support each other as a team
management was good .. we have one computer to utilized
Pros
free braekfast, lunch and snack
Cons
8 hours
The most enjoyable part of the job
Houseman (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 December 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job is the challenge of serving VIP and meeting famous celebrities who loves coming back to the hotel
Pros
Great Salary and Benefits
Cons
Not much to grow as an employee
Fun,Fast Paced Hotel
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2015
Fun, fast paced place to work. Could be challenging at times dealing with the different types of clientele.
Overall it is a great place to learn and grow in your position within the company. A great staff who are very knowledgable in their respective fields. Interacting with guests and being part of a brand that takes their reputation within this industry as seriously as they do, was a great pleasure.
Pros
great wages
Great place to work with,especially on personal self-esteem establishment
Service Associate/ Financial Support (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 February 2015
Shangri-la Hotel, Toronto gives me opportunity to show and shire my strength on so many different area.

In the financial side, I am enjoying very much that I am a "detective" to investigate the numbers derivation and discrepancy. And ensure all explanation behind the numbers are meeting with approval.
To the service, I am proud of when the guests putting a smile when everything is been satisfied with our service.To us, there is a wonderful gift when guest personally know your name, appreciate your service.
Five Star hotel,
Waiting Staff (Former Employee) –  mania philippines7 August 2014
Provided excellent customer services and capable to communicate in an appropriate professional manner with customers and other employees.
Very productive brand of hotel
Executive Assistant & QI (Former Employee) –  Xi'an Shannxi Province China15 July 2014
-Always put employees' interest in same priority with customers.
-With strong and charming brand culture. Make sure stuff have sense of belonging.
-Always inspired by co-workers.
-GM and other Excom members were always passionate and ready to deal with all the different problems and to share honors.
-It was the time I built up self-identification and confidence. Learnt how to build up a team and play a motivatied role inside.
was doing the opening of the hotel
House Person (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 March 2014
place very busy , short of staff,
lots of jobs
great staff
have a great housekeeping manager was easy to work with her
the paycheque was better that the last job
Pros
cafeteria for staff
Cons
long hours /overtimes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3