Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts

Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts Employee Reviews

Canada41 reviews
If you are looking for a place to grow ..in the hospitality industry this is a perfect place to start. Great team, management is very understanding and accomadating ...free meals and great pay.
No opportunity for growth and favoritism was conspicuously rampant in the work culture/environment.

My urge for advancement was never met and the work environment felt very secluded
Pros
free lunches
Cons
underappreciated
The brand sounds attractive but the culture I have experienced was toxic, bias, competitive in an unfair manner.
A lot of negative disruption has been happening in an extremely short period of time resulting in having qualified people leaving slowly to be replaced by amateurs. The company lost a lot of its wonderful core values in the past 3 years.
Two faced management bad mouthing you behind your back.

One employee is recording other employees during casual chat hoping he will get them to say something bad about the hotel and report them at HR.

No sick days for any staff. Must rake unpaid leave or vacation.
Everyone here is truly a family, they all look out for each other no matter where you work everyone steps in to help one another. It's fun and luxury blended in one environment.
Work at the shangri-la was an amazing experience and i would like to recommand this compagny! Even it's a big compagny , everyone can feel lbe a part of this family.
This is a great place to work and a great company, you can make good money and they treat you very well! Excellent team to work with! The only reason I left was due to other stresses and commitments in my life.
Great Work Culture to be in. Shangri-La hotels and Resorts have amazing properties around the world. It was a pleasure working for them. Would highly recommend them.
Busy workdays but fun friendly team with competetive pay and lunch included and clean uniform wash. Professional workplace, with an emphasis on providing luxury service.
I did my internship at Shangri-La Hotel and Resorts. We didn't get paid for working there. It is also a fun but fast-paced workplace environment. I learned how to work more faster, develop my knife skills, learned how to cook some of their meals. Their workplace culture is excellent, they don't tolerate any racism which the workers can develop stronger relationship to each other. For me, the hardest part of the job is carrying heavy stuffs and the most enjoyable part of the job is to develop good relationship to my colleagues.
The most stressful work experience I've ever had.
Management treats you like you you can do nothing just criticising for every single thing and never appreciating your effort. They don't fire you they just keep telling you that you're bad.

I truly hated that place.
Pros
Free meal, good money
Cons
Everything else
Great hotel and bar as guest.
the company itself has no culture and mistreats their employees.

There is not unity and no clear vision.

The food served is mediocre at best.

Everybody works in their silos and no one communicates properly.
Pros
free lunches
Liked the environment, active people, great employee facilities,
Healthy atmosphere

team building

Brand building

Helping clients

Employee retreats

Hotel meals
Great training program!
Opportunity to grow within the company.

Working at the shangri-la hotel your able to meet so many amazing people and really develop your customer service skills.
Pros
Free lucb
Cons
Split shifts
It was a good experience working for a luxury hotel chain, People are very friendly and nice. Everyone is helpful. Mangers are co-operative and so is the staff
Pros
Free one time meal
Cons
Shift work, schedule changes
All in my Resume.

A tipical day of work allways started with morning meetings, planning the days work.

Walk down the building.

Check on contractors work.

Check on room PM .

Depending on the time of the wonth could also be eg.. Looking at P & L, Budget, Project due dates, etc...
Pros
Accomodation, free food, health and life insurance, pension plan.
A typical day at work would consist of coming in early morning and calling a team briefing. We discuss the pending issues and new tasks. Sometimes it is hard to have these briefings as hotels are very busy which makes our briefings shorter but detailed and
straight to the point to prep our team. The biggest challenge is always time but with a good workplace ethic and with good team support we get through the daily objectives.

Amazing skills learned through SUPEX training such as business and team management.

Hardest part of job is working long hours. Shifts are typically supposed to be 8 hours however salary employees can find themselves working up to 12 hour days or more when a big event or contract is in which is often. However with these contracts and events there is much to be learned.

Most enjoyable part of the job is completing team goals and furthering training and knowledge of the team.

Departments often over lap and work with each other. House keeping is by far the most helpful, friendly and accommodating staff,
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
When fully staffed it can be an organized, fun and exciting place to be ! Most employees are chasing a common goal and are welcoming to anyone eager to join the family.

Constant change in management made it too difficult to be noticed yet alone to advance. It is the type of enviroment that works well for short periods of time then quickly falls apart for longer periods which can be both defeating and frustrating when trying to obtain consistency in ones day to day life. A lot of pressure for little reward - especially for those difficult management roles!

It is over all a good place to be although like any work environment does have deeper issues.
i learned a lot of things on my time at working here in shangrila i start my career in hospitality industry on this hotel.the management is excellent in dealing with there employees.
Pros
free meals
Cons
nothing
• Worked and studied in culinary department, gained experience of luxury hotel operation.
• Everything was well-organized with a easygoing work environment.
Pros
Fantastic work environment
There were no procedures written or training with equipment. For example the fire systems I was trained on how to evacuate but not in regards to hot works permits. The culture there is awesome and coworkers are driven to complete the tasks. However some of the maintence issues were temporary fixes that kept reoccurring. In terms of procedures there was a lot lacking however I did enjoy my employment there. Also with three different groups handling maintenance in the building it's a bit of political nightmare.
Pros
Free lunches, work culture
Cons
No standard procedures.