Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts Employee Reviews

Not a great place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 April 2019
The most stressful work experience I've ever had.
Management treats you like you you can do nothing just criticising for every single thing and never appreciating your effort. They don't fire you they just keep telling you that you're bad.
I truly hated that place.
Pros
Free meal, good money
Cons
Everything else
Great hotel & Location, that's it
Entertainment and Group Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2019
Great hotel and bar as guest.
the company itself has no culture and mistreats their employees.
There is not unity and no clear vision.
The food served is mediocre at best.
Everybody works in their silos and no one communicates properly.
Pros
free lunches
Amazing place to work!
Server (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 January 2019
Great training program!
Opportunity to grow within the company.
Working at the shangri-la hotel your able to meet so many amazing people and really develop your customer service skills.
Pros
Free lucb
Cons
Split shifts
Fun place
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2019
It was a good experience working for a luxury hotel chain, People are very friendly and nice. Everyone is helpful. Mangers are co-operative and so is the staff
Pros
Free one time meal
Cons
Shift work, schedule changes
Very enjoyable place to work
Director of Engineering (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON, CA15 December 2018
All in my Resume.

A tipical day of work allways started with morning meetings, planning the days work.
Walk down the building.
Check on contractors work.
Check on room PM .
Depending on the time of the wonth could also be eg.. Looking at P & L, Budget, Project due dates, etc...
Pros
Accomodation, free food, health and life insurance, pension plan.
Great employee lunch amenities
Lead Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 October 2018
A typical day at work would consist of coming in early morning and calling a team briefing. We discuss the pending issues and new tasks. Sometimes it is hard to have these briefings as hotels are very busy which makes our briefings shorter but detailed and
straight to the point to prep our team. The biggest challenge is always time but with a good workplace ethic and with good team support we get through the daily objectives.

Amazing skills learned through SUPEX training such as business and team management.

Hardest part of job is working long hours. Shifts are typically supposed to be 8 hours however salary employees can find themselves working up to 12 hour days or more when a big event or contract is in which is often. However with these contracts and events there is much to be learned.

Most enjoyable part of the job is completing team goals and furthering training and knowledge of the team.

Departments often over lap and work with each other. House keeping is by far the most helpful, friendly and accommodating staff,
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Great place to learn and grow but not much oppertunity to advance.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 August 2018
When fully staffed it can be an organized, fun and exciting place to be ! Most employees are chasing a common goal and are welcoming to anyone eager to join the family.

Constant change in management made it too difficult to be noticed yet alone to advance. It is the type of enviroment that works well for short periods of time then quickly falls apart for longer periods which can be both defeating and frustrating when trying to obtain consistency in ones day to day life. A lot of pressure for little reward - especially for those difficult management roles!

It is over all a good place to be although like any work environment does have deeper issues.
productive working here
Room Attendant/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Phillipines15 April 2018
i learned a lot of things on my time at working here in shangrila i start my career in hospitality industry on this hotel.the management is excellent in dealing with there employees.
Pros
free meals
Cons
nothing
A fantastic place to work and learn
Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 March 2018
• Worked and studied in culinary department, gained experience of luxury hotel operation.
• Everything was well-organized with a easygoing work environment.
Pros
Fantastic work environment
No policies or procedures, the training on equipment provided was very lacking. It was difficult completing tasks in the time frame given
Service Associate - engineering (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2018
There were no procedures written or training with equipment. For example the fire systems I was trained on how to evacuate but not in regards to hot works permits. The culture there is awesome and coworkers are driven to complete the tasks. However some of the maintence issues were temporary fixes that kept reoccurring. In terms of procedures there was a lot lacking however I did enjoy my employment there. Also with three different groups handling maintenance in the building it's a bit of political nightmare.
Pros
Free lunches, work culture
Cons
No standard procedures.
Oasis in the city
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  National Capital Region22 December 2017
-Excellent mentors
-One free lunch every duty
-Shangri-La Food Safety Management is a virtue
-Proper usage of kitchen equipments
-Best for staycations
Pros
Freelunch
Cons
Split shifts
Total Quality Management
F&B Executive (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2017
Shangri La Hotels and resorts is probably the best company to work in Canada, both their hotel properties in Toronto and Vancouver are the ideal workplace and is everyone's dream place to work in hospitality industry.
Pros
Work life balance, excellent mangement
Shangri-La Hotel
Banquet Server, Bartender & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 July 2017
As a banquet stuff, I need to have the ability to handle multiply tasks all the time. Dealing with the customer needs to make sure provide the high quality service all the time. Teamwork is very important point within a group. Also, the department need to build a good relations with other departments. A proper planning is necessary for the whole process, such as the menu, the floor plan, the beverage ordering, and so on.
Setting new benchmarks for toronto
Executive Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 February 2017
It's a beautiful product which has been mismanaged since it's opening and has no systems and structures in place. The Management and operations team are all in their comfort zones and do not really want a change
Pros
Brand image
Cons
Mismanaged since opening
Wounderful Work Experience
Guest Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 February 2017
Management discusses over all event that would take place upon your shift so that all team members are aware and ready for the day.

Superb work environment where in different cultures and background would work together for a common goal.

Was able to learn how to handle high profile guests with elegance and precision.

The most difficult task is to defuse a certain situation where in a guest is unpleased.

Work environment, coulleagues, and the work itself is enjoyable.
Pros
Possible extensions of work hours, Free food on break, Luxurious surroundings
Cons
Pressure
People are friendly and hardworker
Food and Beverage Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 January 2017
Very nice place to work. Love the Core Values and Ethics that Shangri-La have and I still wish I am part of the company but I felt like I didn't have a future with them.
Excellent corporation to work for
Hotel Opening / Executive Assistant to GM (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC1 September 2016
I was the Executive Assistant to the General Manager and therefore my job entailed me to be the ears and eyes for the General Manager on a daily basis; whether he was in the hotel or not.
I developed strong relationships with my colleagues and clients on a daily basis which made my job extremely enjoyable.
I learned that no obstacle is ever too difficult to resolve no matter the issue.
The hardest part of working at the Shangri-la was saying goodbye when I was transferred to open another Shangri-la hotel.
Pros
Working EOD shifts; required staying in the hotel and writing reports.
Cons
I cannot think of any.
Friendly environment
Food & Beverage Cost Control Intern (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 August 2016
Everyone was friendly. All the managers take time to teach employee. Even it was an internship I still learnt a lots. The internship provided great opportunity for intern to learn about cost controller, inventory, and purchasing
No Opportunity for Advancement
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2016
If you're a front line worker, you might as well be a front line worker for the rest of your employment term. When managers leave, another manager will come in and take the role. The employees have little to no say in their departments, have a slim chance of moving up the chain of command, and basically become bitter overtime. Management and HR also tend to play favourites. If you're on their good side you're golden. Very hard to approach HR department due to attitude and lack of interest in employees.
Pros
Good co-workers, exposure to VIPS/guest experience, relatively clean environment
Cons
Average tasting lunch provided, management plays favourites, no room for advancement
Wide variety of culture
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2016
There are thousands of people going through Shangri-La, some are to stay the night others are just passing by but the environment is very divers and welcoming. You see different people form different places and learn something new each day.
Pros
Very welcoming environment
Cons
Pressure

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3