SHALOM VILLAGE

SHALOM VILLAGE Employee Reviews in Hamilton, ON

Hamilton, ON12 reviews
Good
Amazing residents and great coworkers. Could be stressful at times but, worth it for the residents who call Shalom Village home. Unfortunately not many opportunities to advance.
Good working environment, supportive staff.
Each day is quite full filling as I en devour to practice what i was taught. My aim is always to help people who are in need. Working in my facility could be challenging at times as we deal with residents who have different medical problems but team work is our best resource of help. Management is very supportive and provide training when necessary on an ongoing basis . Work place is full of joy and excitement as we try to make our residents feel at home. Hardest part is when a resident passes away and most enjoyable part is at the end of the shift when we all can say, job well .
Great staff - AWFUL management
This used to be one of the best places to work but current management/organization restructuring has made it an absolute nightmare. The residents are amazing, the culture is great, but the overall atmosphere is grim.
Beautiful people both the colleagues and residents.
A very unique place, the residents are all wonderful human beings.

The working conditions are acceptable.

Interacting with the residents is a high light of the job.
Terrible management
Over worked and underpaid. Staff go above and beyond and there is no regognition. Managers are always on power trips and treat their employees bad. It is not a place to move up in wage or in you're specific field. Concerns from staff are never touched upon . Hard work is never aprechiated or recongnized.
Pros
Making memories with the residents
Cons
Work environment, wages, and managers
Easy job - Little advancement - No reward
Shalom Village is a great place to start working and to build the foundation of your career but it's not a place you want to advance. The RSP and benefit package for non-union members is standard but the most frustrating is the pay - it's garbage. Thinking you deserve a raise? Think again - you likely won't get anything but an alternative that you could have more vacation time. Sure, that sounds like a deal but vacation time doesn't help you advance financially. The important thing to remember is that Shalom is a not-for-profit so finances are always tight. The only way to get an increase in pay - hope someone quits/gets fired from a higher position and that individual's pay would be absorbed by other employees.
Pros
Some great staff members, free parking, great work/life balance
Cons
Lazy managers, little advancement opportunities, low wages
good
it was a good place to work they gave good hours and accomidated your outside life. the other workers were very generous when it came to training and new people.
Changing for the worse
Shalom is changing. Not for the better though. Management have too many staff and the company itself is just so small. There are too many hands on the pot. Frontline employees are overworked and there is no staff support. The workload itself is heavy and they keep adding more. Nurses and PSWs aren't appreciated. Too many changes and were not sure where the money is going. Constant complains from residents and families needs aren't being met because staff doesn't have enough time to fill in the gaps. Too many behaviourals and too many unnecessary tasks that are put on to the frontliners.

PROS staff who were hired before the current management have established team work and great work relationships

COns Power trip management employees, excessive workload, poor staff support
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SHALOM VILLAGE?
great place to work at
the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with seniors and making a difference in their day and the hardest part of the job was interacting with family members who do not understand dementia
co workers were fairly good but management wasn't the greatest
Pros
co-workers were team players
Cons
abuse from the residence
the good the bad and the ugly
Good while it lasted...Poor management with people that are not qualified for the position. terminated from position for being over qualified after being there for years.
Volunteered
It was different everyday.
I learned a lot about elderly people.

I loved the management they were kind.

I didn't have co workers they were all volunteers.

Feeding some of the elderly.

Entertaining the elderly.
Pros
Getting to meet people
Cons
Seeing people die that i got close to
Productive workplace that takes time to care for all residents in a timely manor.
A typical work day would be in the mornings, getting residents up and ready for breakfast. Wash any residents if scheduled. Feed any residents that are required to be feed. Bring residents to any events or activities during the day, try and keep the residents active by going on walks, or getting them to do any daily chores (for example folding towels). Having snacks for residents. Being a student at this facility learning was a good experience all co-workers were warm and inviting, it taught me to always show respect to the residents and family. They showed me different cultural beliefs and how to record information a newly computerized data base.