SGS Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Loader (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON31 October 2018
If you want no life and to not be respected by any part of management never get noticed for your hard work, get way underpaid , never get your full pay on pay day this is the job for you !
Fast paced production
Analytical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Lakefield, ON4 October 2018
Training is well covered. People are friendly and knowledgable and willing to lend a hand. Busy days make the time pass rapidly. Happy environment for a high stress place.
Absolutely no integrity
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 March 2018
This company has absolutely zero integrity. Employees are under paid and under appreciated.
Management was completely devoid of any form of professionalism.
Thier only concern is to maximize items on the LEM’s. Any employee with a pulse is acceptable to them. The business practices are more along the lines of theft; not at all concerned with living up to thier contractual obligations.
Pros
The oil sands operator representives
Cons
Complete lack of integrity towards thier employees and thier obligations toward thier clients
Soul-sucking
Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 February 2018
The management is horrendously inadequate and favoritism runs all the way to the top. They do not give pay raises, won't offer full time to employees, and they pick and choose who gets benefits. There also is 0 room for advancement within the company. It's a depressing organization that really could not care less about a single one of its employees and doesn't care about losing model employees.
Pros
Poor management means a lot of the time you can do what you want
Cons
Poor management, no room for advancement, poor wages, toxic environment
Toxic work environment!!!
Technician (Former Employee) –  Alberta19 January 2018
Wages were pathetic. Hours weren't much better. Upper management are clueless and have zero experience or knowledge of the people they manage or the work those people do. HR personnel are there to protect the company's interests... certainly not the employee. Being lied to by managers was a daily occurrence... having HR back up those lies with obviously fake statistics was especially insulting. Grossly reduced wages and benefits to "keep the dept open" turned out to be a company orchestrated cash grab, at the employees expense, that lasted 5 months and ended with with them closing the dept anyway... a month before Christmas.

Don't work for these scumbags. You mean NOTHING to them and as soon as they've used you for all they can squeeze out... they'll throw you in the garbage like everything else that has no value to them.
Pros
I don't have to work there anymore.
Cons
The horrible human beings they call managers.
Bad experience working at SGS
Sr. Scientist, Biopharmaceutical Services (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 March 2018
pressure, low paid and poor management with considering people life .
don't enjoy working there. everyday suffering. high turnover rate 25%....................................................
Walk away
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakefield, ON5 November 2017
Horrible company, I have nothing good to say about this place. Lakefield wet lab is full of rude senior techs and management who degraded and belittled me for every little thing and treated me as a burden. I was told the day I started to be patient because it would take stleast a month or more to be fully trained and comfortable, well I was given about two weeks of poor training, and after my trainer left due to health complications I received no more. I was told by the management and seniors that "you can't ask the senior techs questions, they're too busy to help you"........How do you learn without asking questions?

This place will look for any stupid reason to let you go to not give benefits, don't fall into their traps.
Pros
Bbqs
better to avoid
Lab Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 October 2017
better to avoid because:

1) Low salary.

2) Favoritism.

3) A lot of employees and a few lab equipment. I always had stay late in order to have a chance to use any equipment and finish my work.

4) Weekly they force employees to do stupid and useless online training. It is very time consuming! I always had to stay late because of this training.

5) And of course nobody cares about paying of overtime.
A once great lab, now just a souless all for profit production lab.
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC11 June 2017
There are some great people working at the location I was at, but they are being weeded out for the most part.
The work life is trash, unhappy workers, incompetent middle management, and garbage pay even after years of service.
Tons of health hazards and old systems cobbled together.

The company only cares about profits now. Which is very unfortunate. Was working 6 day weeks.

Run while you can.
Pros
Its a job, not a career.
Cons
Pay, workload, health hazards, middle management is some of the worst I have ever seen.
Worst place to be
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 June 2017
You would have to be an idiot to work here brainless lacking any self respect just plain stupid and willing to be treated worse than a homeless dog. Plant manager is a complete a hole and should be behind bars not messing with people's lives. Avoid this place at all costs even if you have to flip burgers you will be better off and happier. Do not work here.
Cons
in 10 years experience i learn a lot through my carrier in sgs as a lab technician
SGS Lab technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB24 April 2017
how to deal with stress full situations when you are working lonely
time management
safely work environment
you are analysing samples plant operations depend on your results and your instrumentation giving problems working alone that is the real tough situation
i enjoy the team work
Pros
going for launches with customers
Cons
if team is good you don't feel 12 hours shift as a long day
Busy work environment
Control Panel Operator (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 October 2014
Very busy work environment. It's a great company however it is new to operations at this location and is still trying to get all the fine details worked out. Once they are, they will thrive. Management is great, but will continue to get better as the company gets used to the work flow at this location. A lot of the staff are very new, but are eager and show great potential with the right leadership. This means there is a lot of time dedicated to training.
All in all it's a good place to be.
Pros
longer stretches of days off
Cons
negligent, irresponsible, ignorant and incompetent leadership
Railcar Loader/Dock Technician (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, On14 June 2015
I've read all the reviews and you can tell which ones were submitted by management personnel to combat the negativity. This company is a farce! People are in operations roles with no professional schooling or background and no one to control them. There's no accountability at an operations level as long as there are profits being made. I've dealt with many companies over the years and this one is by far the worst in every perspective. A company like this thrives off the despiration of their workers to get the job done at lower than industry standard compensation and treatment.
Cons
incompetent operation & hr group, no job stability
Avoid this company at all costs.
Railcar Loader/Dock Technician (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON7 May 2015
Management makes working for this company a terrible experience. Untrained and inexperienced. They harrass, bully and intimidate in order tovget their way. The jobs themselves are good jobs and would be great if they were for a better run company. At my location we have a workforce of about 35 employees most of whom actively seek new employment. There is too many lies from management to keep track of. If thinking of applying for a job with SGS, don't do it. You will regret working here.
Pros
Decent co-workers
Cons
Almost everything
worst company i have ever worked for
dock tech/rail car loader (Current Employee) –  sarnia24 April 2015
Nothing but lies from this company I wasted 7 years of my life to end up further behind in wage then my previous job.Managers half of my management staff is related by marriage and have no idea how to do the jobs that their employee's are doing. Just getting proper safety equipment is a chore. Favoritism and harassment seem to be the common management style as well as bulling tactics. The pay is well below industry standard.Everyone I work with is seeking other job opportunities.
Pros
Cons
pay/ management/lies/harassment
SGS is garbage!
Data Entry Administrator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray26 June 2012
This is the worst company i have ever worked. The managers are fighting each every day. I saw one of my managers walked out crying. Bunch of monkeys! My job was data entry clerk yet I was working in the freezer carrying heavy samples.
Cons
managers are monkeys, gossips, doesnt matter what position your doing you still have a chance to work in the freezer, low wage, disrepectful managers, supervisors think they are god
A very valuable and educational experience.
Environmental Technologist - Short term contract (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 October 2016
For this position I was also required to travel out to site. The shifts were 12 hours a day, seven days on, seven days off, seven nights on, and seven nights off. I worked in a remote lab at the Suncor site. I was part of a team of three people. I was able to train new employees in the lab. I enjoyed the repetitiveness of the work. All of the laboratory equipment had to be calibrated before any work was done. Samples were brought to the lab by another contractor, I was required to organize and properly label each sample and then perform the required analysis. My work was accurate, efficient, and yielded the highest quality of results. I enjoyed being a part of my team, and work well with others. The hardest part of the job was being away for a week at a time.
I had many great experiences and learned a lot.
Terminal Berth Operator (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON3 January 2014
SGS Canada was a great company to work for. During my time with the company they enrolled me into many different training programs including Structural Firefighting and many others. The management was great and they offered a competitive benefits package. They treat their employees very well.
Pros
great training, good wages, job security
Flexible and innovative place to work
Junior Metallurgist (Former Employee) –  Lakefield, ON21 March 2015
SGS was a place of innovation that tackled many different types of projects. The equipment available was world class. It was enjoyable to have such a diverese work experience as it was on a project by project bases. There was a wealth of knowledge ready to be shared. SGS though could improve on organization and planning.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
job security
Poor working conditions
welding examiner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Ludwig22 April 2015
very cheap company to work for was promised benefits when I was hired on never did get them. Had to complete all my new hire sign on documentation on my own time. Had work through coffee and lunch breaks never got any extra pay for it.Welding shop has nothing for tools. Had to supply all my own ppe company has bad attitude about safety.
Pros
Cons
cheap skates

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS. Our community is ready to answer.