SGS Employee Reviews

Very relaxed and insightful place to work
Sample Preparation Technician (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ON18 November 2019
I really liked working there and would be honored to work there again if i am in the area again, i was away from family in Saskatchewan when i had to leave for a funeral allthough i did hand in my two weeks notice i had to leave abruptly due to circumstances not in my control and needed to get back home to Saskatchewan asap i may be coming back in the spring and hope to start there again whrn i return i really did
Low pay with bad management team
Technician Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 October 2019
People are working hard, but the wages is very low which is next to minimum pay.

The benefit is efficient.

Worst thing is the management, there is no direction and lack of planning. often over sold their capacity and let staff and clients suffer.

And management do not understand the need and not able to help with constructive idea, to aid work level which make goals difficult achieve.
Pros
Ot, flex hours
Cons
Long hours, forced OT, bad management, and low wages
great second job
Line Handler (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS14 October 2019
I enjoy working here, great work atmosphere, personal safety is always a concern, very flexible work hours and ability to take time off, paid well for the work required,great second job or job for a retired person,seasonal appropriate clothing supplied.The supervisor is very easy to work for,visiting management are very respectful and easy to get along with. The only negative would be the online training is a little much for my position, covering areas that would only concern employees doing tasks that I am not required to do, plus the training system is confusing and cumbersome at times which could be due to my age.
Never stop learning
Technician (Current Employee) –  Lakefield, ON23 September 2019
SGS Canada is a great place to grow and learn. Fast paced but good work life balance. People are passionate about their work and are given opportunities to prove themselves. Good Benefits and RRSP.
Pros
BBQ's in the summer
Good
Tailings operator (Former Employee) –  Alberta15 September 2019
Good maintenance exp. some workers most are most helpful good to work with. SGS Canada is a good company.
SGS has a good place to work like their workers are saying.
Overall is a good company
Director, Procurement (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 September 2019
This is overall a Good company. The salary is in mid range. Work life balance is Ok but could be better. Good staff. benefits are not very good but fine.
Stress work place
Head of Engineering (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 September 2019
Provides management and guidance to ensure maintenance of listing of equipments, including calibration and qualification status and calibration due date.
• Creation of validation related documents including but not limited to the following:
o IQ, OQ and PQ Protocols
o IQ, OQ and PQ Summary Reports
o Validation master plan
o Preparation of validation protocols and execution of approved validation protocols
o Write and review related technical documents and standard operating procedures.
• Conduct and/or perform precision calibration and validation on analytical instruments.
• Conduct and/or perform preventative maintenance on analytical instruments.
• Monitor maintenance on individual instruments and coordinate with external service technicians as required.
• Maintain calibration data in an organized format.
• Ensure all calibrated laboratory instruments are provided with calibration SOPs and that the calibration intervals are adhered to and documented.
• Participate in new instrument site installation requirement activities.
• Develop and formalize calibration procedures and perform calibration testing in accordance with these procedures.
A big company and a very busy work environment
Customer Service Representative/ Administrator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 August 2019
It is a big company with very high job security. Various divisions. It is a new experience for me in Agriculture and food division, but very busy and lots of stress.
Pros
Good Job Security
Cons
Lots of work stress
Very friendly environment
QA Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 July 2019
In my 10 years of job experience with different industries, i only had the pleasure of working for SGS for a three month paid contract and 2 months Co-Op prior. I literally have not worked with a better team whom they support each other and extremely friendly, loving and reward each other for performing a job well done. Very appreciative and of course I am talking about my experience at the Vipond location with in Mississauga.
Negative work environment with extremely poor management
TERMINAL OPERATOR/BARGE COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Cobble Hill, BC19 July 2019
Decent starting wage. Poor benefits. If you enjoy doing the same thing over, over, every day then come work here.

A poorly trained monkey could do this job. I guess it will only be a matter of time before a poorly trained robot will be doing it.
Pros
Decent wage, RRSP package
Cons
Poor benefits, negative work environment
Good Place to Work
Procurement Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakefield, ON11 July 2019
Work hours were good and environment was pleasant. Colleagues were great to work with. Offsite manager not so great. Little flexibility for work/life balance with a young family.
Great place to work, if you don't mind actually working
Loader (Former Employee) –  Red Deer2 July 2019
If you plan on working for SGS, you need to know a few things. You are expected to actually work when there is work to do. You can be working in all types of weather, as 90% of the work takes place outside. There is no stopping for cold, or rain, or heat, and the company will supply you with all the appropriate clothing to facilitate this. That being said, the pay is really good, there is ample overtime for those who will actually come in for it, and the atmosphere and culture is excellent. The only issue I have is leadership that refuses to listen to, or even consult the people who are directly impacted by their operational decisions. Otherwise, a great place to work. Very safety orientated.
Pros
Great way to earn a living
Cons
Leadership needs to listen to the people actually doing the job more
Terrible experience, overworked and management sucked
Marine Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Point Tupper, NS21 June 2019
Too much nepotism.

The manager had his wife, two daughters, sister-in-law, girlfriend and several friends working for him.

My direct supervisor was a womanizing drunk!

My colleagues were backstabbing their way to the top.

The manager had a new office built on site by a local contractor and at the same time coincidentally he had a $50,000 pool put in his backyard. Convenient, oh ya. What a thief.

Bad company to work for!
Pros
Cons
Long hours and if you were not a relative, you were blamed for everything that went wrong and given credit for nothing.
Worst Experience
Fire Assay Technican (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ON17 May 2019
SGS Canada, Cochrane, ON, Canada for the permanent full-time position hired as a Fire Assay Technician , The dismissal may be due to the incorrect time which I wrote in the book, The receptionist specified that book is physical evidence to know the number of people working, when emergency situation escalates. I was not given the knowledge that it is used as a time card. A smart key or a tag was not given till my last day, therefore I had to wait outside SGS to let someone come out and open the front door for me. On May 8 2019, while I was working, a tiny glass piece possibly contaminated with lead and harmful heavy metals punctured through the safety gloves along with inner latex gloves into my index finger, I was not given any first aid on the moment and continued with my work as usual.This health and safety issue could be avoided if they had used puncture proof gloves instead of heat resistant gloves.Later that day, I was called to the assistant operational manager and a dismissal letter without the written cause was given, the letter provided me the same day dismissal. I asked the management for the reason again, and they were not specific about it. I was allowed to sign the sheet which shows the relocation fees provided by the SGS,Canada, Cochrane,ON, which I did not get. I was in mental distress,
Other co worker plays dirty tricks to kick you out so that their family or friends can get the position.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Poor management, No job security, worst health and safety
Worst place ever.
Switchmen (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB17 May 2019
This place is absolutely horrible. The management I can’t even explain how they have jobs, they treat you like a heard of cows out in the railyard.
Never work here, you will regret it!!
Pros
Cons
long days, poor managmrnt
Extremely Poor Leadership
Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 May 2019
If you want to run a business into the ground, SGS has the management team for the task. They will ensure that no information is ever provided to anyone at any level. Deflect questions and concerns to avoid the appearance of individual respect. Hire and promote only their friends and colleagues to top level positions to protect themselves from any type of scrutiny.
No vision, progress forward
Sales (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2019
Management is always changing, which means direction and focus also changes. Very hard to secure market or be known by major players to be awarded work.
Pros
Good entry level positions for experience.
Cons
Culture, turnover, management, communication, direction
Not a place to grow or advance your career
Rail car loader (Former Employee) –  Nanticoke, ON2 April 2019
Worked at the nanticoke facility and learned a bit about rail car fundamentals. Most coworkers were great to work with. Management is a total joke and they bring in people with no rail skills to run it. Payroll can never seem to get the pays right. No positive reinforcement,only negative. Not much room to advance in jobs and the wage is to low for the responsibility that the loaders have. Dealing with highly volatile products for low pay doesn’t cut it. They will hire anyone as long as you can pass a drug test lol. Higher wages and better management would keep guys around more but that won’t happen unless sgs gets off that site.
Pros
5 on 5 off schedule isn’t to bad. Decent coworkers
Cons
Low pay. Poor management. Low morale
Very interesting place to work in due to changing circumstances.
Bird & Wildlife Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 March 2019
This company is great to work in, the benefits that they offer is amazing. They also have a good pay rate. It was just hard to be working alone the whole day as you only get to see your co-workers during lunch. It is interesting every day as you don't know what to expect everyday specially in the position I worked in. Co-workers were really great to work with too. Management was strict but at the same time easy to get a long with.
Bad management. People snitch to climb the ladder
Plant terminal operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 March 2019
Horrible management, don’t defend you if anything happens. Always try to blame the worker even if it’s equipments fault. They care more about numbers then safety. Main site lead doesn’t think before he speaks you can work 60overtims hours a week and be 5mins late one day and you will get suspended
Co-workers will snitch on you to try and gain advancement. Culture gets worse and worse there . Wouldn’t recommend working there
Cons
Expects the world from you with nothing in return

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS. Our community is ready to answer.