SGS Employee Reviews

Bad experience working at SGS
Sr. Scientist, Biopharmaceutical Services (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 March 2018
pressure, low paid and poor management with considering people life .
don't enjoy working there. everyday suffering. high turnover rate 25%....................................................
Absolutely no integrity
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB1 March 2018
This company has absolutely zero integrity. Employees are under paid and under appreciated.
Management was completely devoid of any form of professionalism.
Thier only concern is to maximize items on the LEM’s. Any employee with a pulse is acceptable to them. The business practices are more along the lines of theft; not at all concerned with living up to thier contractual obligations.
Pros
The oil sands operator representives
Cons
Complete lack of integrity towards thier employees and thier obligations toward thier clients
Soul-sucking
Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 February 2018
The management is horrendously inadequate and favoritism runs all the way to the top. They do not give pay raises, won't offer full time to employees, and they pick and choose who gets benefits. There also is 0 room for advancement within the company. It's a depressing organization that really could not care less about a single one of its employees and doesn't care about losing model employees.
Pros
Poor management means a lot of the time you can do what you want
Cons
Poor management, no room for advancement, poor wages, toxic environment
Toxic work environment!!!
Technician (Former Employee) –  Alberta19 January 2018
Wages were pathetic. Hours weren't much better. Upper management are clueless and have zero experience or knowledge of the people they manage or the work those people do. HR personnel are there to protect the company's interests... certainly not the employee. Being lied to by managers was a daily occurrence... having HR back up those lies with obviously fake statistics was especially insulting. Grossly reduced wages and benefits to "keep the dept open" turned out to be a company orchestrated cash grab, at the employees expense, that lasted 5 months and ended with with them closing the dept anyway... a month before Christmas.

Don't work for these scumbags. You mean NOTHING to them and as soon as they've used you for all they can squeeze out... they'll throw you in the garbage like everything else that has no value to them.
Pros
I don't have to work there anymore.
Cons
The horrible human beings they call managers.
Walk away
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Lakefield, ON5 November 2017
Horrible company, I have nothing good to say about this place. Lakefield wet lab is full of rude senior techs and management who degraded and belittled me for every little thing and treated me as a burden. I was told the day I started to be patient because it would take stleast a month or more to be fully trained and comfortable, well I was given about two weeks of poor training, and after my trainer left due to health complications I received no more. I was told by the management and seniors that "you can't ask the senior techs questions, they're too busy to help you"........How do you learn without asking questions?

This place will look for any stupid reason to let you go to not give benefits, don't fall into their traps.
Pros
Bbqs
better to avoid
Lab Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 October 2017
better to avoid because:

1) Low salary.

2) Favoritism.

3) A lot of employees and a few lab equipment. I always had stay late in order to have a chance to use any equipment and finish my work.

4) Weekly they force employees to do stupid and useless online training. It is very time consuming! I always had to stay late because of this training.

5) And of course nobody cares about paying of overtime.
A once great lab, now just a souless all for profit production lab.
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Sidney, BC11 June 2017
There are some great people working at the location I was at, but they are being weeded out for the most part.
The work life is trash, unhappy workers, incompetent middle management, and garbage pay even after years of service.
Tons of health hazards and old systems cobbled together.

The company only cares about profits now. Which is very unfortunate. Was working 6 day weeks.

Run while you can.
Pros
Its a job, not a career.
Cons
Pay, workload, health hazards, middle management is some of the worst I have ever seen.
Worst place to be
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 June 2017
You would have to be an idiot to work here brainless lacking any self respect just plain stupid and willing to be treated worse than a homeless dog. Plant manager is a complete a hole and should be behind bars not messing with people's lives. Avoid this place at all costs even if you have to flip burgers you will be better off and happier. Do not work here.
great work/life balance
Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON4 June 2017
One of the best jobs i have had, worked great with my school schedule and other commitments. Long hours were made alot shorter with great management and other employees
Never recieve any single call
Technician (Former Employee) –  Canada15 May 2017
I have doubt that this company is really exist if yes then all these adds are true. I applied for many jobs but did not get any single call. I have good experience too.
Pros
Cons
Never recieve any call
in 10 years experience i learn a lot through my carrier in sgs as a lab technician
SGS Lab technician (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB24 April 2017
how to deal with stress full situations when you are working lonely
time management
safely work environment
you are analysing samples plant operations depend on your results and your instrumentation giving problems working alone that is the real tough situation
i enjoy the team work
Pros
going for launches with customers
Cons
if team is good you don't feel 12 hours shift as a long day
Poor Management, Look somewhere else!!
Crew Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
The workers (railcar loaders) at my former site were great people and most of them were good workers. Management however was another story, employees were promoted to management positions because of the friendship they had with the promoting manager. Upper management and HR were never there when needed. Our HR rep always said "I am only a phone call away" however they never picked up their phone so no issues could ever be resolved or figured out. I was with the company for a long time and enjoyed working at the Imperial Oil site, but SGS as a company is awful. I would not recommend it to anyone or ever think of working for them again. There is ZERO support from upper managers and HR, not the way a company should conduct their business... As a first level supervisor, I was not allowed to discipline our railcar loaders because my manager did not want to upset the customer (Imperial Oil) and did not want to follow up with his manager on any issues/problems. Completely backwards way of running a site. If you want to work for a company that doesn't care about you, and is using you to get the job done then SGS is the place for you.
Pros
Fellow employees were nice
Cons
Poor management, No discipline, Do not value their employees, Disorganized
Geotechnical - Fort Mac
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 January 2017
SGS in Fort Mac has shut down. Congrats to all the folks in Calgary who managed to turn a $50m a year business in 2014 to an empty office with a handful of techs left to fend for themselves in the field. Well done boys!
Pros
Good money
Cons
Work life balance
Junior Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, Ontario24 December 2016
busy atmosphere, enjoyable place of employment, room for growth, good salary, friendly people. Shift work a necessity and full time is available as well as overtime
No structure in place.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Markham,On1 November 2016
Markham Location is not well structured. some employees are inundated with work and are going above and beyond their responsibilities, however managers take credit for their works and do not even appreciate them. unfair salaries and toxic work culture. incompetent managers who would do anything and i mean anything to save their jobs.
A very valuable and educational experience.
Environmental Technologist - Short term contract (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 October 2016
For this position I was also required to travel out to site. The shifts were 12 hours a day, seven days on, seven days off, seven nights on, and seven nights off. I worked in a remote lab at the Suncor site. I was part of a team of three people. I was able to train new employees in the lab. I enjoyed the repetitiveness of the work. All of the laboratory equipment had to be calibrated before any work was done. Samples were brought to the lab by another contractor, I was required to organize and properly label each sample and then perform the required analysis. My work was accurate, efficient, and yielded the highest quality of results. I enjoyed being a part of my team, and work well with others. The hardest part of the job was being away for a week at a time.
Avoid if possible
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB13 July 2016
Worked in Industrial business line in Alberta. Interesting work, great coworkers and technicians. Management in Calgary lack industry knowledge and competency. The VP is surrounded by yes men who don't have a clue. Definitely a company on the decline.
Pros
Global name
Cons
Inadequate leadership
sgs
grain inspector (Former Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC6 July 2016
horrible management, poor working condition, No workers rights,
Daily tasks would be inspecting and weighting grain samples and various general labor duties.
good place to learn things for a beginner
Laboratory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 March 2016
stressful and fast-pace environment
good place to learn skills
good place to get familiar with cGMP
Good management
Good people to work with
Great Work Environment
Team Manager/Supervisor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Vernon, BC9 July 2015
Wonderful place to work, lots of room to advance, travel and expand your knowledge if you are willing to put in the work. The time I spent at this company was absolutely amazing and one of the best jobs I have ever had.
Pros
Training Given
Cons
sometimes bad hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS. Our community is ready to answer.