SGS

Technician22 reviews
Canada22 reviews

Found 22 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,563 reviews

Learned new inspection skills

management was highly disorganized. Availability of work was decided upon by favoritism. Work load was also highly irregular and uncertain. Knowing the french language was a determining factor in how you fit in with the rest of the group.

Pros

signing bonus

Poor management, low pay

Tasks are very repetitive that causes strain on the body, didn't learn any skills, difficult to get approved time off, management seem stressed and unfriendly.

Pros

Safety shoes, prescription safety glasses.

Cons

Repetitive tasks, difficult to get vacation approved.

Grinder

Not a bad job just dont go in with any expectation of advancement. At most you may be placed in a different department to fill in a workload gap. Unless you physically are unable to perform your duties you will be relegated to working the prep line and the prep line only. If you are looking for a solid job that is the exact same day in and day out, low mental stimulation but high physical demand then this would be a solid fit.

Pros

Physical Fitness

Cons

Dull and extremely repetitive.

Fast paced

It doesn't take long to get used to the working environment here, and you can easily make a lot of overtime. This is the place for someone looking to become a good worker.

Pros

Simple S.O.P.s

Cons

Lots of ambiguity

poorly managed

there is no team. Because of the union people seem to get away doing the bare minimum over and over again. There seems to be no reproductions for poor performance, or repeated problems. Management seems almost afraid to manage the workers. They are slaves to imperial oil, and safety is just an idea. It is heavily stressed to be safe, to follow procedures, but the moment it jepordizes profits then it is overlooked.

Very relaxed and insightful place to work

I really liked working there and would be honored to work there again if i am in the area again, i was away from family in Saskatchewan when i had to leave for a funeral allthough i did hand in my two weeks notice i had to leave abruptly due to circumstances not in my control and needed to get back home to Saskatchewan asap i may be coming back in the spring and hope to start there again whrn i return i really did

Never stop learning

SGS Canada is a great place to grow and learn. Fast paced but good work life balance. People are passionate about their work and are given opportunities to prove themselves. Good Benefits and RRSP.

Pros

BBQ's in the summer

SGS is a great company

I've had the pleasure of working with SGS for the last 4 years, I feel safe everyday when I am at work, and would like to stay with this company. I love the culture and the schedule is great.

Pros

Safe, company treats you well, great schedule

Cons

Hard to get certified in other areas/experience

Terrible experience

This place is a terrible work environment. Management is extremely inefficient and childish. Coworkers are great, guy gave little motivation. Good place to learn the basics but basically a small stepping stone for a career. Do yourself a favour and avoid this place , it's an STD.

Pros

Parking

Cons

Operations manager is petty and ignorant

Management favourites certain employees

Overall worse experience ever working with this company. Co workers were alright but management and supervisors lack their so called “set of skills”. Highly recommend not working here.

Pros

Able to listen to music from start of shift to finish. (Not acceptable) but they let it happen

Toxic work environment!!!

Wages were pathetic. Hours weren't much better. Upper management are clueless and have zero experience or knowledge of the people they manage or the work those people do. HR personnel are there to protect the company's interests... certainly not the employee. Being lied to by managers was a daily occurrence... having HR back up those lies with obviously fake statistics was especially insulting. Grossly reduced wages and benefits to "keep the dept open" turned out to be a company orchestrated cash grab, at the employees expense, that lasted 5 months and ended with with them closing the dept anyway... a month before Christmas. Don't work for these scumbags. You mean NOTHING to them and as soon as they've used you for all they can squeeze out... they'll throw you in the garbage like everything else that has no value to them.

Pros

I don't have to work there anymore.

Cons

The horrible human beings they call managers.

Never recieve any single call

I have doubt that this company is really exist if yes then all these adds are true. I applied for many jobs but did not get any single call. I have good experience too.

Pros

Cons

Never recieve any call

A fun learning environment for my very first real job.

This is the place where I gained my very first actual work experience while I was still in high school. I did my volunteer hours here during the summer and it later turned into a part-time job beginning that same summer. Overall, I would say that this place was a fun learning experience in a very organized environment. I learned how to prioritize samples that were coming in form the shipping in receiving department where I was assigned to work at during that time based on which ones were labeled as "rush" work orders. Each sample had to be categorized based on type and which department needed them and later organized in the stock room with an appropriate tracking ID for ease of location by the next department that needs to work on the said samples. The work environment was a safe place to work in and was always kept clean and organized. My co-workers were always there to assist whenever I needed help or to give some advice on how to properly do certain tasks.

Great work environment

weigh samples. Process to finished product. Co-workers were fantastic team players and always helpful. Shifts were sometime difficult but eventually you get used to the. Management were fantastic.

Pros

great work environment

Cons

no job security

results oriented

the average work day at sgs was all about production and meeting quota for the day. along with maintaining quality of the product by ensuring the purity of each sample to the best of your ability using the tools given and the practices taught. I enjoyed my time at sgs

Co-workers are great but management is lacking

Too much middle management. Managers do not care about workers. There is no flexibility in the company, workers are expected to do their job and not raise any concerns. If you have any career goals or job standards I would not work for this company.

Pros

Co-workers are great!

Cons

Management is poor, wage is extremely low for work conditions, no chance of advancement

very bad terrible managment

Basically....supervisors and managment are in positions because of time served at company not because of qualifications. Management and supervisors should be replaced with monkeys. Complete lack of integrity.

Pros

time off

Cons

work atmosphere

Management is terrible

They treat you like and tell you you are expendable. Technicians are not highly regarded here, and are not given the same incentive/oppurtunity as engineers for career advancement. would not recommend to a technician.

Pros

OT after 8hrs (banned at the moment)

Cons

Not being treated fairly

Would not recommend SGS to anyone with integrity.

I loved my job.. Until I found out I got walked on from management and pretend friends. No benefits cause your just a number. False advancement promises. Non professional HR department only stands behind management not the employee. More job responsibilities added with no raise. They push SGS integrity down your throat, When they have none Management very unprofessional.

Pros

Trust management

Cons

Trusted management

Poor management , bad work environment

Pay is averageShift can be goodManagement , supervisors (Qa/Qc) positions are filled with employees who have been there the longest, and not filled by qualified personnel .Numerous infractions regarding health and safety.Integrity is preached but never practiced.I would not recommend working at fort mcmurray location.

Pros

pay is average

Cons

lack of integrity.

Worse then expected.

-Terrible work atmosphere.-Management positions are filled with unqualified personnel .-Zero chance for career advancement-Almost all SGS policies and procedures are never followed.-Unqualified unprofessional technicians .-Numerous safety and health infractions.-Pay is acceptable untill you see the work atmosphere.-Would never recommend this company.

Pros

leaving

Cons

many

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement