SGS

SGS Employee Reviews for Laboratory Technician

Laboratory Technician32 reviews
Canada32 reviews

Found 32 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,564 reviews

Can be a good starting place

SGS is a good starting block for those trying to get into the laboratory or environmental field. If your in the Geochemistry building most supervisors are good and will always try and help. Work life balance is pretty good.The pay is not the best but the benifts are good. The job itself is good, stress free and you learn lots, but SGS is still a global company there to make money.I don't regret my time spent there. They also try and provide company lunches or bbqs frequently:)

Pros

Benifts, co-workers, supervisors, Overtime if you want, extra training if wanted

Cons

pay

Do not work here.

Coworkers were so lovely however, this is not a place to work if you want to advance in your career. Management was not willing to support me and instead unfairly let me go from the workplace because I asked them to treat their employees with more respect with regard to how they spoke and emailed their employees (and was the only one voicing that concern).

Pros

amazing coworkers

Cons

overtime hours, poor management/management style, under paid

*WARNING* If you have any experience, don't work here

Brutal! Tasks are simple and repetitive, high work load, lunch and break often not taken/given. No teamwork, problem solving, or advancement, do not work here unless you are desperate or as a first job. Any chemist with any self respect left.

Pros

Reimbursed safety shoe

Cons

long hours with no overtime, work weekends, no advancement, mundane tasks, no team aspect

very average

factory oriented lab, you more or less do the exact same thing every day. the pay starts around minimum wage, I only made it to $16.50/hour after three years of working there which is maybe a dollar more than you would get at Tim Hortons and that doesn't feel good.

Please consider about it seriously

This is a really toxic company. Stressful environment and heavy workload. Worst of all, they don't care about you. None of my college was happy about the work here. They do 6-month contract with an extension which means the probation period is one year. They're doing that because they think they're a big company and will make your resume look good. Please don't get confused by their title, SGS is a big company but it's important who you're working with and what your daily job is.

Pros

co-workers are lovely

Cons

toxic management, heavy workload, very repetitive

Good environment and nice helpful people

I think the lab technician should be aware about safety use of chemical reagents. for example using adecuate PPE and fume extraction, The supervisor should set an example of good laboratory practice

Pros

Coffe display

Don’t Bother Applying Here

Employees are underpaid, making basically minimum wage. They won’t inform you of the positions salary until you’ve scheduled an interview. I wasn’t offered any vacation, benefits, or the insignificant salary increase until after 6 gruelling months. Management has recently cancelled overtime. Everyone, no matter how long they’ve been trapped in a lab, thinks they could be laid off. I’m looking forward to quitting.

Good place to start your career

Basically agree with every thing said in the other reviews. Expected to have nothing else to do with your life but to work to pad the the pockets of the board of governors and make the management look good.

Pros

Good people

Cons

Shift work, weekends, low pay

Great people, low pay, stable job.

Tldr : People are great, Fantastic training, management across Canada have been great. Low pay though, you'll likely get higher pay at a fast food industry or retail then for positions that request university/college education. Unless you travel to remote, unattractive locations.

Pros

Great atmosphere

Cons

low pay

Fast paced production

Training is well covered. People are friendly and knowledgable and willing to lend a hand. Busy days make the time pass rapidly. Happy environment for a high stress place.

Workplace is great, job isn't for everyone

The management/supervisors are great. Always willing to talk/listen to concerns, and give answers to any questions. Depending on the section you're in the culture can be different. Some sections don't talk to each other at all, some are always working with 2-3 people. Very, very repetitive work. Salary isn't great could be a lot better for what is done here. Since salary is so low, they have a high turnover rate with employees.

Walk away

Horrible company, I have nothing good to say about this place. Lakefield wet lab is full of rude senior techs and management who degraded and belittled me for every little thing and treated me as a burden. I was told the day I started to be patient because it would take stleast a month or more to be fully trained and comfortable, well I was given about two weeks of poor training, and after my trainer left due to health complications I received no more. I was told by the management and seniors that "you can't ask the senior techs questions, they're too busy to help you"........How do you learn without asking questions? This place will look for any stupid reason to let you go to not give benefits, don't fall into their traps.

Pros

Bbqs

productive and friendly

Great company to work, learning and experience. Supervisors are Ok. Practice a lots of safety. The workplace cultural was diversify and friendly. Organized company.

Pros

Diversity

Cons

in 10 years experience i learn a lot through my carrier in sgs as a lab technician

how to deal with stress full situations when you are working lonely time management safely work environment you are analysing samples plant operations depend on your results and your instrumentation giving problems working alone that is the real tough situation i enjoy the team work

Pros

going for launches with customers

Cons

if team is good you don't feel 12 hours shift as a long day

Term position

Was always busy, But the amount of support and training i got was impeccable! It was an amazing experience working for SGS and I will be keeping it in mind to possibly come back again!

Retention model is, where else you going to go?

Not a very good place to work if you care about your future and career. Ruthless, money loving company who will do anything to save a buck. Management at this site only values education and does not take into consideration experience or hard work. Very much a "old boys club" in management. No raises for 3 years, lost bonuses over that time as well. Also forced to take vacation in slow times or simply not get paid and told to stay home.

Pros

Good people to work with and learn from. Gain experience to get a better job elsewhere.

Cons

Only recognized if your in with management, Average wage for above average work load and expectations, Constantly blamed for managements mistakes.

Fast paced, processing many samples

Daily calibrations were done usually in the morning as well as the media preparation. While the media is being prepared, loading of the autoclave and ensuring all the checks were done before starting it was done. Logging of samples is usually done until sufficient samples are stocked up to be processed. Then processing and sampling was done once samples received their LIMS numbers. Sampling was done based on dilutions and customer specifications. After microbiological analysis was done sample was logged into LIMS and stored for proper holding time protocols. Big company, very clean, monthly meetings regarding safety and other concerns of employees and customers. Good, supportive management to report to.

Pros

clean, quiet, big company

Cons

pot holes in parking lot

It was a good experience working with this company.

Co-workers were friendly, company has high values on safety. Supervisors were good. I had a routine work schedule so sometimes I felt bored. The good thing was no one interfered your work as long as safety rules were followed and work wos done as per standard.

looks like a nice place to work

Poor management, no room for advancement or ppl who want to excel in their role.

good company

Learned a lot from this company but the management system was total garbage, just try not to move up in the company too fast or else they will fire you because they get scared they will loss their position. READ your contract carefully.

Pros

good money and lots to learn

Cons

needs better managers

Very Diverse community, lack of effective communication

As my supervisor always was grateful about, I had been a valued member of the lab team by always being someone they could count on. However I left that job because I had better job offer and position which suited me better. However there were many issues about relationship among the workers and employers. Also high job demands and pressure on employees was the first reason for workers to quit their jobs. Also there were many conflicts about the relationship and communication issue, I still believe that communication among the workers and employer was not strong as it could be. As l gain experience more and more every year I strongly believe that effectively communicating could be involved more than just providing information when demanded and proactively providing information to the team as issues arise was the best source of conflict in that work place.

Pros

Good Experience.

Cons

long hours, high job demand, high work load

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement