SGS
Happiness score is 48 out of 100

SGS Employee Reviews in Lakefield, ON

Lakefield, ON36 reviews

Found 36 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,669 reviews

Can be a good starting place

SGS is a good starting block for those trying to get into the laboratory or environmental field. If your in the Geochemistry building most supervisors are good and will always try and help. Work life balance is pretty good.The pay is not the best but the benifts are good. The job itself is good, stress free and you learn lots, but SGS is still a global company there to make money.I don't regret my time spent there. They also try and provide company lunches or bbqs frequently:)

Pros

Benifts, co-workers, supervisors, Overtime if you want, extra training if wanted

Cons

pay

Do not work here.

Coworkers were so lovely however, this is not a place to work if you want to advance in your career. Management was not willing to support me and instead unfairly let me go from the workplace because I asked them to treat their employees with more respect with regard to how they spoke and emailed their employees (and was the only one voicing that concern).

Pros

amazing coworkers

Cons

overtime hours, poor management/management style, under paid

Insights into SGS

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Overall satisfaction

Toxic work environment, managed by people with no business experience

Was a wonderful place to work when I first started there. However things took a drastic down turn. Some can be attributed to decline in the mining industry. The majority is due to the powers that be not having a clue how to run a business. The place has become more about $$ and not the employees. There has been no incentive given to retain people. The place has become a revolving door. Recently senior people have either left on their own accord or terminated in the latest round of layoffs/firings. There is no job security. However it is a good starting off point if you want something to put on a resume.

Don’t Bother Applying Here

Employees are underpaid, making basically minimum wage. They won’t inform you of the positions salary until you’ve scheduled an interview. I wasn’t offered any vacation, benefits, or the insignificant salary increase until after 6 gruelling months. Management has recently cancelled overtime. Everyone, no matter how long they’ve been trapped in a lab, thinks they could be laid off. I’m looking forward to quitting.

People are great

Learned work in the lab.The people there were great.Had to pay attention to detail at most departments.Mostly 40 hrs. per week but had some overtime available.

Never stop learning

SGS Canada is a great place to grow and learn. Fast paced but good work life balance. People are passionate about their work and are given opportunities to prove themselves. Good Benefits and RRSP.

Pros

BBQ's in the summer

Good Place to Work

Work hours were good and environment was pleasant. Colleagues were great to work with. Offsite manager not so great. Little flexibility for work/life balance with a young family.

I worked there years ago.

I experienced a great environment to work in. Loaded with extremely nice, professional personnel. Excellent work-life balance. Beautiful facility and location.

Pros

Great place to work.

Cons

I left to pursue higher income elsewhere.

Good place to start your career

Basically agree with every thing said in the other reviews. Expected to have nothing else to do with your life but to work to pad the the pockets of the board of governors and make the management look good.

Pros

Good people

Cons

Shift work, weekends, low pay

Fast paced production

Training is well covered. People are friendly and knowledgable and willing to lend a hand. Busy days make the time pass rapidly. Happy environment for a high stress place.

Fast paced

SGS is a high volume, fast paced work environment. You work closely with others Independent work is expected and encouraged. It is a production facility

Pros

BBQ lunches in summer

Cons

Upward movement is slow

good experience

great team players good training understandable on business and personal situations skills and experience in different departments good charity for for different organizations and families

Pros

help out with charities

Cons

the wages are not the best

SGS Canada has no organization in the company

People can get fired after years of services if they feel they can save money somehow. Very poor management. Most staff do not stay too long. A few staff have stayed for years due to a secure job. My job was moved to Mississauga without much notice. Be careful

Pros

Money ok Bar B Q lunches

Cons

Long hours, poor management, poor company structure

Workplace is great, job isn't for everyone

The management/supervisors are great. Always willing to talk/listen to concerns, and give answers to any questions. Depending on the section you're in the culture can be different. Some sections don't talk to each other at all, some are always working with 2-3 people. Very, very repetitive work. Salary isn't great could be a lot better for what is done here. Since salary is so low, they have a high turnover rate with employees.

Good

This place is a good and decent place to work at but expect to work and not be valued for the work you put into this company. Have a great day and may peace be with you.

Pros

Cons

lifeforce drained

Walk away

Horrible company, I have nothing good to say about this place. Lakefield wet lab is full of rude senior techs and management who degraded and belittled me for every little thing and treated me as a burden. I was told the day I started to be patient because it would take stleast a month or more to be fully trained and comfortable, well I was given about two weeks of poor training, and after my trainer left due to health complications I received no more. I was told by the management and seniors that "you can't ask the senior techs questions, they're too busy to help you"........How do you learn without asking questions? This place will look for any stupid reason to let you go to not give benefits, don't fall into their traps.

Pros

Bbqs

Cons

Great place to get experience on your resume so you can move on to something better. Over worked, under paid, and unappreciated. The company has a bad attitude towards its employees and needs to modernise to hold onto valuable employees

Pros

experiences

Cons

the company attitude towards its employees

Very interesting and diverse jobs

A place to stretch your brain and get your hands dirty. Many innovative thinkers and doers at this facility. Much can be learned from colleagues and associates. Location is very nice; small town living.

Pros

Small Town location

Cons

Shareholders

Great company for testing in the mining industry.

Probably the premier testing company in the mining industry. Largest and most diverse knowledge base and opportunities for learning new mineral systems, etc. Recent changes to management have not been positive and has the actions they've made have created a very toxic work environment and they don't seem to understand the business or the issues.

Pros

Large company, many opportunities (so I'm told)

Cons

Latest management group has low respect for employees

Opportunity and Growth

SGS Canada is a great place to work. The flexibility of work/ life balance is great. Always room for opportunity and growth. SGS Invests in their current employees first.

Great Company

Great company to work for. Familiar with Chemistry could help you Wages start fairly low but increase fairly quick Lots of opportunities to expand within the company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement