SGS

Found 47 reviews matching the searchSee all 2,665 reviews

Insights into SGS

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Overall satisfaction

Lots of experience

I learned a few different job positions there. My bosses were great to work with.I met a lot of great people and had fun, they were like my family. It was great working outdoors and protecting wildlife from the oil ponds.

Awesome

Great people Great enviroment, highly skilled profession determined to help employees and clients in any way see fit, safety is captial and always first.

Disgrace of a company

Every morning before work I would hope to get hit by the bus so I wouldn't have to go in. I wish I was joking. I worked for this company for a couple of years, and overall it was good to get experience but looking back, maybe not good for the price of my entire soul and well-being. SGS is able to obtain many site contracts as they put in the lowest bid - where does the money come from? The money comes from the employee salaries. They pay very poorly and expect a lot of work. The healthcare plan was a perk, but most of the things were covered at 80% and only available to some employees. How they determined who got healthcare did not make sense - some people on contracts got it over the full time employees. The management and project coordinator have absolutely no idea what is going on 99% of the time. The project coordinator weaseled her way into the position and thinks it's appropriate to delegate all her work to her co-workers so she doesn't have to do anything. This type of attitude is celebrated by management as long as they are saving money. Cheapest company and I did not feel like my voice was heard at all. No opportunities for advancement unless you're brain dead or willing to adopt their core value of zero integrity. Get your experience and get out.

Very interesting place to work in due to changing circumstances.

This company is great to work in, the benefits that they offer is amazing. They also have a good pay rate. It was just hard to be working alone the whole day as you only get to see your co-workers during lunch. It is interesting every day as you don't know what to expect everyday specially in the position I worked in. Co-workers were really great to work with too. Management was strict but at the same time easy to get a long with.

Learning and Working with various equiptments such as boats, vinocholars, compasses etc.

It was a good company to work for. There were opportunities to learn various skills and equipment. If only the pay raise was timely and available it is a good company.

Pros

Camp accomdation

Cons

Need timely pay raise.

Absolutely no integrity

This company has absolutely zero integrity. Employees are under paid and under appreciated. Management was completely devoid of any form of professionalism. Thier only concern is to maximize items on the LEM’s. Any employee with a pulse is acceptable to them. The business practices are more along the lines of theft; not at all concerned with living up to thier contractual obligations.

Pros

The oil sands operator representives

Cons

Complete lack of integrity towards thier employees and thier obligations toward thier clients

Soul-sucking

The management is horrendously inadequate and favoritism runs all the way to the top. They do not give pay raises, won't offer full time to employees, and they pick and choose who gets benefits. There also is 0 room for advancement within the company. It's a depressing organization that really could not care less about a single one of its employees and doesn't care about losing model employees.

Pros

Poor management means a lot of the time you can do what you want

Cons

Poor management, no room for advancement, poor wages, toxic environment

awful!

No benefits, poor leadership, only get promoted if you have thick kneepads. they mistreat their employees and expect grade A work. don't work here! Never have I ever been so disrespected in my entire working career.

Pros

you get to go home

Cons

everything

Great place to work.

Great place to work, fun . Supervisors that wanted quality for the customer and would help the technicians obtain it. Always flexible Lost MEM contract to corrupt competitor at Oil Sands mine.

Good

Great company, great coworkers, good environment and employer is willing to train employees. Good experience overall. And my coworkers were awesome to work with

Potluck with regard to effective management

A good place to work as long as management does not involve themselves with the day to day running of operations. When management did involve themselves,chaos ensue. Most operations have a very transient staff.

Good not fun

I was working for SGS just to make money. Sometimes money was good but all the time was not. I left them just because I need to change my career to welding Inspector

Pros

Cons

Sometimes

productive and friendly

Great company to work, learning and experience. Supervisors are Ok. Practice a lots of safety. The workplace cultural was diversify and friendly. Organized company.

Pros

Diversity

Cons

if you cant find any job this is the place to gain experience

Dirty politics at all level, old employees gets threatened by employees with good qualifications and experience. Gang up on good workers , it's common. No structure in organization to help right people.

in 10 years experience i learn a lot through my carrier in sgs as a lab technician

how to deal with stress full situations when you are working lonely time management safely work environment you are analysing samples plant operations depend on your results and your instrumentation giving problems working alone that is the real tough situation i enjoy the team work

Pros

going for launches with customers

Cons

if team is good you don't feel 12 hours shift as a long day

SGS could of being a good place to work, but do to lack of good administration has made my experience in that company as one of the worse i ever had in my entire life

Good Company

Good managers, workers, inspectors. Work style is good. Salary is not too great but will get you on your feet. They get you your proper certification to carry on the job properly.

Geotechnical - Fort Mac

SGS in Fort Mac has shut down. Congrats to all the folks in Calgary who managed to turn a $50m a year business in 2014 to an empty office with a handful of techs left to fend for themselves in the field. Well done boys!

Pros

Good money

Cons

Work life balance

A very valuable and educational experience.

For this position I was also required to travel out to site. The shifts were 12 hours a day, seven days on, seven days off, seven nights on, and seven nights off. I worked in a remote lab at the Suncor site. I was part of a team of three people. I was able to train new employees in the lab. I enjoyed the repetitiveness of the work. All of the laboratory equipment had to be calibrated before any work was done. Samples were brought to the lab by another contractor, I was required to organize and properly label each sample and then perform the required analysis. My work was accurate, efficient, and yielded the highest quality of results. I enjoyed being a part of my team, and work well with others. The hardest part of the job was being away for a week at a time.

good workplace

So far I have been happy with SGS Canada, working for them almost 3 years. Good thing about SGS is very international company. I

Avoid if possible

Worked in Industrial business line in Alberta. Interesting work, great coworkers and technicians. Management in Calgary lack industry knowledge and competency. The VP is surrounded by yes men who don't have a clue. Definitely a company on the decline.

Pros

Global name

Cons

Inadequate leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SGS. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement