Play YouTube video button

SGS Employee Reviews

Canada230 reviews
factory oriented lab, you more or less do the exact same thing every day. the pay starts around minimum wage, I only made it to $16.50/hour after three years of working there which is maybe a dollar more than you would get at Tim Hortons and that doesn't feel good.
Great training and great management support. Feel like part of a team and given the tools and training needed for the job. Flew the crew to Montreal for initial training. Also supported training out in the field
Pros
Interesting work
Cons
Away from home, working outside in all weather
Very bad management, stressful environment and poor salary!
Pros
Cons
Lot
Great way to gain experience in many different industries. Lots of room to transfer and move up within different sectors of the company. Upper Management in my opinion should take more time deciding who is best fit for site management.
Pros
decent wage
Cons
discrimination/harrassment at work
It doesn't take long to get used to the working environment here, and you can easily make a lot of overtime. This is the place for someone looking to become a good worker.
Pros
Simple S.O.P.s
Cons
Lots of ambiguity
there is no team. Because of the union people seem to get away doing the bare minimum over and over again. There seems to be no reproductions for poor performance, or repeated problems. Management seems almost afraid to manage the workers. They are slaves to imperial oil, and safety is just an idea. It is heavily stressed to be safe, to follow procedures, but the moment it jepordizes profits then it is overlooked.
I am not interested in providing feedback here. I am surprised this is mandatory since I am simply looking for new jobs. Not intend to evaluate a company that I worked before.
Worst place ever to work. It is a high risk job, only pay minimum wedge, poor management, SGS does not care health and safety of workers. They do not provide adequate PPE
Pros
Cons
Care ofvyourcgealth do not work at this place ever.
Great people Great enviroment, highly skilled profession determined to help employees and clients in any way see fit, safety is captial and always first.
This is a really toxic company. Stressful environment and heavy workload. Worst of all, they don't care about you. None of my college was happy about the work here.

They do 6-month contract with an extension which means the probation period is one year. They're doing that because they think they're a big company and will make your resume look good.

Please don't get confused by their title, SGS is a big company but it's important who you're working with and what your daily job is.
Pros
co-workers are lovely
Cons
toxic management, heavy workload, very repetitive
Every morning before work I would hope to get hit by the bus so I wouldn't have to go in. I wish I was joking.

I worked for this company for a couple of years, and overall it was good to get experience but looking back, maybe not good for the price of my entire soul and well-being.

SGS is able to obtain many site contracts as they put in the lowest bid - where does the money come from? The money comes from the employee salaries. They pay very poorly and expect a lot of work. The healthcare plan was a perk, but most of the things were covered at 80% and only available to some employees. How they determined who got healthcare did not make sense - some people on contracts got it over the full time employees.

The management and project coordinator have absolutely no idea what is going on 99% of the time. The project coordinator weaseled her way into the position and thinks it's appropriate to delegate all her work to her co-workers so she doesn't have to do anything. This type of attitude is celebrated by management as long as they are saving money. Cheapest company and I did not feel like my voice was heard at all. No opportunities for advancement unless you're brain dead or willing to adopt their core value of zero integrity.

Get your experience and get out.
I think the lab technician should be aware about safety use of chemical reagents. for example using adecuate PPE and fume extraction,
The supervisor should set an example of good laboratory practice
Pros
Coffe display
I learned a few different job positions there. My bosses were great to work with.I met a lot of great people and had fun, they were like my family. It was great working outdoors and protecting wildlife from the oil ponds.
Excellent place to learn new skills. Excellent customer service. Great exposure to new methods and techniques. Highly experienced management.Very nice people to work with.
I trusted the people I worked with a little to much. To the point they just thought it was okay to dispose of me and throw me under the bus to save themselves.
The job was great hard work at times and cold in winter as you are outside but fair.

I loved the job myself The management listened to a point to help out but at the end of the day they were there for their jobs and you were dispendable.
Pros
good job enjoyed it good benefits
Cons
Don't have really any RCI were a joke
impossible faire aucune planification. personne ne sait quand on travail et quand on ne travail pas
Was a wonderful place to work when I first started there. However things took a drastic down turn. Some can be attributed to decline in the mining industry. The majority is due to the powers that be not having a clue how to run a business. The place has become more about $$ and not the employees. There has been no incentive given to retain people. The place has become a revolving door. Recently senior people have either left on their own accord or terminated in the latest round of layoffs/firings. There is no job security. However it is a good starting off point if you want something to put on a resume.
As a former employee of the Montreal office of the industrial section of SGS, I should say that it is miserable financially. The wages are dreadfully low, there is no motivation to work. and it is mismanaged to say the least. There is a huge turnover rate there. The administration treat employees with no respect for their dignity. If you are hired there, expect to leave it in under a year.
Employees are underpaid, making basically minimum wage. They won’t inform you of the positions salary until you’ve scheduled an interview. I wasn’t offered any vacation, benefits, or the insignificant salary increase until after 6 gruelling months. Management has recently cancelled overtime. Everyone, no matter how long they’ve been trapped in a lab, thinks they could be laid off. I’m looking forward to quitting.
Since starting, the workload has increased considerably, even in slow periods, and little to no training is provided. SOPs are outdated and often incorrect, and following them exactly will often lead to hours and hours of staying late. In addition, requested minimum amounts of overtime. Hopefully they can pick themselves up down the road, but it's not looking promising
Pros
Good benefits, decent salary
Cons
Long hours, required overtime, little assistance
Learned work in the lab.The people there were great.Had to pay attention to detail at most departments.Mostly 40 hrs. per week but had some overtime available.