Sesame Street English

Sesame Street English Employee Reviews for English Teacher

English Teacher5 reviews

3.1Pay & benefits

Totally Depends on Where You're Placed

Working at this company was bittersweet. They will work with your schedule, which is a plus. You'll likely teach at several school locations, and you may be moved to different schools or classes each year. I found that my experienced varied from unbearable to lovely depending on which school I was at. At some schools, everything was chaotic and I was treated poorly. At two of my schools, I felt very respected and included. The pay is ok, but like other teaching jobs in Japan, they don't pay you for set-up time (but they still want you to be 15 minutes early) and you may have an hour or two in between lessons. I found my Japanese coworkers to largely be quite friendly and helpful, but management wasn't proactive or helpful. There was turnover in upper management, and I felt zero support, feedback, or recognition afterward. There's also little quality control among teachers, both for native speakers and Japanese staff. Some teachers really go the extra mile, but there's no incentive (monetarily or otherwise) to perform well. I felt like the professionalism of the native teachers and upper management was also often lacking. If you actually care and enjoy teaching, this may be a difficult job. I often felt like I went above and beyond, yet I would have gotten the same response from management if I were just phoning it in. However, the curriculum and lesson plans are provided for you, and your kids really can learn a lot if you are supported by your school. ultimately left (even though I loved my kid sand some of my coworkers) since I knew I wouldn't be able to move -

Pros

Flexible hours, provided lesson plans, no strict dress code, train fare included, small class size, assistant Japanese teacher

Cons

No hourly pay, possible dead hours between lessons, lack of feedback, lack of training, unprofessional communication, low standards, inconsistent quality

Nice

It was international and very nice to be a teacher in China and wonderful experience to do so I would like to do it again because I'm better than I was before I started

nice attempt

It was the first time for me to work as an English teacher. I learned not only the teaching strategies but also how to be a good teacher to help children to realize their potential.

Friendly Working Environment

I prepare the class i am going to teach first,then i have class with kids ,after that,i have to take a video to the parents about what we have learned during the class,what's more i have to persuade the parents to buy the new level of the class when they finish their current level.since we have foreign teachers,so I learned how to work with people from different countries,and i learned how to make myself find my place in the company when i am not in the leadership.speaking of the management of the company i should say it is good,each school has a principle ,sales team,teacher team and functional team,and every team does their job well under the leadership of principle,besides the principle is lead by the head company.what's more,every one works in an atmosphere of mutual support.when it comes to hardest part of job ,i would say dealing with naughty kids is the hardest one comparing to this easy job.but it is my most enjoyable part when kids say thank you to me and the parents buy new level because of my good service.

Pros

foreign colleagues

Cons

too relaxed

Poor Employer

Do not teach at Sesame Street English if you are looking for a quality ESL teaching job. Foreign teachers are treated more like zoo animals who are meant to entertain both the students and administrative staff.

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Sesame Street English?

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sesame Street English. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9