Servus Credit Union Pay & Benefits reviews

Toxic Workplace at multiple branches
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Alberta15 November 2018
No matter what branch you work at the management is horrible. The values they claim to have with work/life balance don't actually exist. Many of my co workers had multiple issues with trying to balance their kids that were in school or daycare that they couldn't leave work to attend to them without some kind of repercussion. Your only paid till 5:00 but expected to stay late and you do not get overtime I have seen myself 3 branches that have such a toxic workplace the clients of the branches are leaving and wont come back. The work processes are so behind that you have to struggle to serve the customers in a timely manner
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
toxic work enviornment
not good company
Financial Advisor/ Training Mentor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB17 September 2018
they are not a good company to work for and they don't have good ethics treat staff bad and have no sense in what good management is. They just don't have a good HR department
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
poor management
Official response from Servus Credit Union
25 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts. We take comments such as this seriously and would appreciate a further conversation so we can gain a better understanding of your perspective. If you wish to contact me you can email me at john.hearn@servus.ca.

John Hearn
Manager, Employee Engagement

A company that cares!
Senior HR Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB14 August 2018
I feel so blessed to have found a new career and new home with the Servus CU family. Changing careers completely in mid life was a challenge in itself but finding a position with Servus helped me transition successfully. I took a chance on a temporary 12 month contract with Servus with no guarantee of a position after the contract. That was 10 years ago! Things happen here for those who work hard and believe in Servus. The opportunities for advancement are unlimited if your life permits a move. If not, there are ways to keep your career a challenge especially when you come to work with one thing in mind; serving members and sharing your knowledge about financial fitness. In the end we all want to be financial fit and be able to retire the way we had envisioned.

My typical day at work is supporting and guiding our employees with everything HR. There are times when my days are filled with different emotions as we work through situations but I work with a fantastic team who give me the support I need to forge ahead.

Servus supports me in my love for life long learning both financially and time away to complete my CPHR (Chartered Professionals in Human Resource) designation. I am enrolled in Servus' Foundation Leadership Program which is a collaborate and blended 2 year program for all leaders at Servus, I attend various conferences and courses throughout each year and bring back all my learning to the teams I work with.

Servus isn't perfect but its super close if you are looking for a company that cares about people.
Pros
Fantastic people, great benefits, career opportunities
Cons
um.....there must be some but for me I can't think of one.
Official response from Servus Credit Union
24 September 2018

We are so thrilled you took the time to leave such a positive review here! You are right when you say we aren't perfect, but with people like you working for us, we are definitely on our way to building a better world, one member at a time.

Training was excellent, Work Environment was not.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB25 February 2018
The training was excellent and thorough.
Working at the branch was not so great. The culture was not inclusive of me amd I felt like I never was one of the team.
Pros
Benefits for Part Time Employees
Cons
Immature branch management.
Decent place to work
Associate Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB25 February 2018
Overall the salary and benefits are good but I feel that the higher up management don't always consider how changes affect the lower level employees. Some times I feel like the work life balance is not always adhered to despite them stressing that that is one of the corporate values
Good company to work for, growing pains affect staff at branches
Financial Advisor/Investment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 January 2018
- Great benefits package
- Provincial company so lots of locations to choose from
- Limited advancement opportunities unless willing to relocate to Edmonton
- Many great networks within the company for the benefits of the staff, young leaders network, women's network, presidents advisory council, innovation groups
- Good incentive pay system
- Willing to train right candidates for positions
- Biggest downfall is that the executive leadership team are mostly well removed from their time in branch (if they were ever in a branch), so often decisions that are made are difficult for branches to deal with the fall out of.
- Increasing pressure on sales culture
Pros
Benefits, Cooperative culture, Credit Union mentality
Cons
Gap between corporate vision and reality
Fun, but not for me in the long term
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Union, ON6 September 2017
Fun place to work, but I was looking to make a lot more money than was available in a credit union. I thought the "sales culture" was a bit unrealistic, considering the repeat member service. I mean how many times can the same members be approached for any/all services available without upsetting them?

Also, the advancement was fairly slow and considering the education required to achieve these positions, I thought the compensation was inadequate.
Interesting
Personal Banker/Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2017
Great work culture great staff great people. the customers treat you better than the banks do. you get to help customers find solutions for them. However the older system they use causes a lot of errors. witch is a downfall, it being older has a higher margin for error, unlike an actual bank does. Doing documentation was a lot harder than it should be even putting a loan on the system is much better on a banking system unlike the credit union. Although the staff are amazing great people to work for.
Pros
great staff, benefits
Cons
wage, and hours most people start at part time.
Helping your community grow
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Stony Plain, AB20 April 2016
The job requires you to be flexible and friendly. You must be observant and able to help the members you see.
You learn a lot about finances and how the banking world works.
You deal with a lot of different types of individuals all day. You must be able to be friendly and adapt to each different situation.
Its a team player driven environment.
The best part is working with friendly, great people and being part of a community.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
High Stress
Busy environment
Electronic Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB1 April 2016
I worked here on a six month contract in the imaging department. Here we would scan all loan documents, eg car loans, mortgages etc.

Working here eased me back into the office work place environment after having worked from home.

The management were very nice and helpful, and the co-workers were friendly and accepting, considering I had come from a different country.

The hardest part of the job was the fact that the job was extremely repetitive.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was that the job was very stress free.
Pros
Good company benefits/.
Cons
This job was repetitive.
positive ethics and overall great company.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB24 November 2015
Servus Credit Union is a fantastic company with in itself with good intentions. Unfortunately they tend to let bad management slide way too often. especially at the northgate branch in Grande Prairie.
Pros
great benefits, positive outlook, send you for training and pay for it.
Cons
Terrible management, unrealistic expectations, very hard to get time off.
Great Corporate Values however Internal Operations, Management and Structure are something to be desired
IT/QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 August 2015
I totally believe in the corporate values of Servus Credit Union and the services it provides both to its Members and the Community. This was why I mainly chose Servus as an employer. However the internal management structure and career growth is something to be desired.

Don't work in anything QA/IT related as turnover is high, management is constantly changing and the people who have been there for a long time will be barriers to your career progression as I felt they were always trying to set me up for failure or do not like when new people have more potential than they do. It really felt like high school trying to compete with co-workers all the time. Shouldn’t an organization promote co-operative and group work in being effective and efficient? This was mainly why I could not progress further in this organization.

Furthermore, HR will not support any career development and/or their "steps" and policies to move up in salary grade is quite laughable. I constantly had to follow-up with HR and management regarding my progression. After more than a year, I had finally moved up a step which was a minimal increase to what I was making. Don’t get me wrong, I consistently overachieved in my role receiving awards as well as other recognitions. However, these rarely contribute to moving up in the company and an increase in salary.

Similarly, the bonus structure is also something to be desired. The difference between an overachiever employee versus an employee that doesn’t do much work is only merely a few hundred bucks. So then you ask yourself, is it really worth it to
  more... give 110% or just do sufficient work? Remember, any bonus is taxed at a marginal tax rate over and above your salary so that few hundred bucks becomes significantly lower when given out. The effort to reward ratio is probably 4:1. In comparison, my current employment (which is no longer at Servus), I have already moved up 2 salary grades within a year as my work is being recognized and being rewarded accordingly. They are now willing to invest in further in my education and training. Something that NEVER occurred at Servus .

Don’t get me wrong, I have met some amazing people while working there and not all areas are like this. Branch staff are super nice and friendly, other operational areas in SCC are incredibly well run and managed. Brilliant people do exist there however in the area I worked, it seems like it was more of an interim/transitional place once the shortfalls were realized as well as to gain experience before people had leaped forward to another employer.

If you do decide to do anything IT related there, my advice is to do your research and look at industry standards in terms of education/wage and use it to bargain hard. Ensure that you clearly define your expectations both short and long term. Then when things go sour, you have this all documented, signed and can hold the organization to those plans (assuming you have met the company’s expectations of yourself).

Good luck, perhaps you’ll have better luck than I have had.

Note: You actually get good rates being an employee (ie. loans, reduced services fees, mortgage) however with low rates now, it really isn't much of a savings.
Pros
SCC is a nice building, free parking
Cons
Management, competitive salary, HR policies, career advancement
Good place to grow
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton13 July 2014
Many good years at Servus.

Ability to move around and change career directions within this company.

Excellent benefits plans and pay.