Servus Credit Union

Servus Credit Union Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
3.7Pay & benefits

Chill

It's a bank. In 2019 and onward, people will show up less frequently so you get to spend more time with the members and build more personal relationship that you can take outside of work. It's a credit union so the frequency at which the customer walk is not comparable to a bigger banks. It's great if your looking to advance your career in the financial industry and looking to make some mad cash. Plus they offer great benefits with a very comfortable work experience.

Excellent employee experience

Servus Credit Union is a great Employer training and coaching fabulous. The role is not needed as much and love working with the public so looking for another equally fulfilling role to help members clients.

Pros

Training staff benefits and ability to move around

Cons

Role not needed as much.

It was an enjoyable place to work each day

I was able to learn lots during my time at Servus both as an employee and then as a member of the Management team. I was fairly compensated for the work I performed and had a good benefit plans that met my family needs.

15 January 2020
Thanks for your review! As you know, fairness is one of our top values and we work hard to ensure that our employees have competitive wages and benefits.

stressful and under staffed place to work

Servus only hires part time MSR 's but you are expected to work up to 35 hours per week and always available. You can only guarantee getting a day off if you book it as a vacation day. They expect you to be available at all times. Most locations are short staffed , line ups are long. There is no management support

4 October 2019
Thank you for your feedback. Providing high quality member service is an important part of running our business and we schedule our staff to meet these operational needs. We recognize that sometimes managing schedules and vacation time can get complicated, and when we're short staffed it can be very challenging. It's unfortunate that you've experienced more of this than we would like. If you'd like to share more specific feedback with us, please contact us at strategicstaffing@servus.ca.

Excellent benefits

Servus has a lot to offer employees in terms of benefits (both health as well as extended and external). Pay is competitive and fair. Many different roles available if you're willing to expand and possibly relocate.

15 January 2020
We are thrilled to hear you enjoy working at Servus, and thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are constantly reviewing not only salaries, but benefits, and all rewards to ensure we are attracting and recruiting top talent.

excellent career choice

A typical day is generally fast paced, a variety of situations to keep you engaged. Staff and management are friendly and helpful. Opportunity for advancement an option for those who are willing to work for it.

Pros

salary and benefits

7 August 2019
We are so thrilled you took the time to leave such a positive review. We are better because of people like you helping shape our members financial fitness.

Workplace

Great place to work. Great benefits. Continuously providing with professional training. Free lunches on Fridays, sometimes. Team has do participate in community activities.

Pros

Free training

8 April 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We value your feedback and are glad you've had a positive experience with us so far!

good company

good company to work for, good benefits. Nice employees. Good for people who like to sell, the targets are too much, the pay is also good as well. But im looking for something new.

benefits

Cons

sales

Three stars

I had the chance to work with some terrific people. Work can be interesting and challenging. Some leaders do a good job at recognizing the efforts of their team and encouraging them to grow, while others simply manage. For the most part I enjoyed working here until my workload became too much for me to handle. When I asked my manager for help, I was told to figure it out on my own. I was expected to smile and pretend everything was wonderful even if it wasn’t. Do not say anything negative because management doesn’t want to hear criticism even if it’s the truth. They will just think you’re complaining. The company is slow to change with a lot of things, especially when it comes to systems. Strategic planning is often sporadic. It’s non-existent in some areas. It would have been helpful if everyone understood that we were all part of the same team

Pros

Nice coworkers; good benefits; interesting work

Cons

HR; slow to change; lack of support; too many silos

17 December 2018
We are glad to hear you found your work with us interesting and challenging. Thanks for your feedback. One of our core values here is a work/life balance, so it is unsettling that you did not feel that your workload was manageable or that you were supported by your manager. We like to encourage a culture of open communication with management, so we will address some inconsistencies internally. Please feel free to contact john.hearn@servus.ca if you'd like to further discuss how we can improve our processes.

Toxic Workplace at multiple branches

No matter what branch you work at the management is horrible. The values they claim to have with work/life balance don't actually exist. Many of my co workers had multiple issues with trying to balance their kids that were in school or daycare that they couldn't leave work to attend to them without some kind of repercussion. Your only paid till 5:00 but expected to stay late and you do not get overtime I have seen myself 3 branches that have such a toxic workplace the clients of the branches are leaving and wont come back. The work processes are so behind that you have to struggle to serve the customers in a timely manner

Pros

Good Benefits

Cons

toxic work enviornment

19 November 2018
We're sorry that this has been your experience. We do value work/life balance and take these comments seriously. We'd like to know more so we can address these concerns for the employees and the members at these specific branches. Can you please contact me at john.hearn@servus.ca? With regards to the processes, we are continuing to invest in our technologies to make the working process quicker smoother. We appreciate your feedback, and hope to hear more from you soon.

not good company

they are not a good company to work for and they don't have good ethics treat staff bad and have no sense in what good management is. They just don't have a good HR department

Pros

good salary and benefits

Cons

poor management

25 September 2018
Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts. We take comments such as this seriously and would appreciate a further conversation so we can gain a better understanding of your perspective. If you wish to contact me you can email me at john.hearn@servus.ca.John HearnManager, Employee Engagement

A company that cares!

I feel so blessed to have found a new career and new home with the Servus CU family. Changing careers completely in mid life was a challenge in itself but finding a position with Servus helped me transition successfully. I took a chance on a temporary 12 month contract with Servus with no guarantee of a position after the contract. That was 10 years ago! Things happen here for those who work hard and believe in Servus. The opportunities for advancement are unlimited if your life permits a move. If not, there are ways to keep your career a challenge especially when you come to work with one thing in mind; serving members and sharing your knowledge about financial fitness. In the end we all want to be financial fit and be able to retire the way we had envisioned. My typical day at work is supporting and guiding our employees with everything HR. There are times when my days are filled with different emotions as we work through situations but I work with a fantastic team who give me the support I need to forge ahead. Servus supports me in my love for life long learning both financially and time away to complete my CPHR (Chartered Professionals in Human Resource) designation. I am enrolled in Servus' Foundation Leadership Program which is a collaborate and blended 2 year program for all leaders at Servus, I attend various conferences and courses throughout each year and bring back all my learning to the teams I work with. Servus isn't perfect but its super close if you are looking for a company that cares about people.

Pros

Fantastic people, great benefits, career opportunities

Cons

um.....there must be some but for me I can't think of one.

24 September 2018
We are so thrilled you took the time to leave such a positive review here! You are right when you say we aren't perfect, but with people like you working for us, we are definitely on our way to building a better world, one member at a time.

If office work is your favourite type of work, then this place is for you.

A typical day at work is about what you would expect, and is almost what has been depicted in movies for decades. In at 8:00am, bad coffee, great co-workers, and a management team that is willing to work with you instead of against you. They go out of their way to understand your unique situation. The workplace culture suffers from the iron-clad fist of professional image management, which I understand, just don't necessarily agree with. Well, the extent of it anyways. Otherwise, co-workers are pleasant and courteous. Always willing to help if they can, and able to direct you if they can't. The hardest part of the day, for me, is the constant sitting. As someone who likes to be up and around, I find the amount of sitting appalling. The most enjoyable part of my day is talking with co-workers and going home.

Pros

Excellent compensation and benefits package, great co-workers, helpful management team.

Cons

Too much sitting, the work is bland and predictable, the coffee really is terrible.

24 September 2018
Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts. We apologize for the bad coffee, but we do pride ourselves on offering competitive salaries and benefits to offset the lack of better coffee. We hope you can forgive us and continue to help us shape members financial fitness.

Decent place to work

Overall the salary and benefits are good but I feel that the higher up management don't always consider how changes affect the lower level employees. Some times I feel like the work life balance is not always adhered to despite them stressing that that is one of the corporate values

Good company to work for, growing pains affect staff at branches

- Great benefits package - Provincial company so lots of locations to choose from - Limited advancement opportunities unless willing to relocate to Edmonton - Many great networks within the company for the benefits of the staff, young leaders network, women's network, presidents advisory council, innovation groups - Good incentive pay system - Willing to train right candidates for positions - Biggest downfall is that the executive leadership team are mostly well removed from their time in branch (if they were ever in a branch), so often decisions that are made are difficult for branches to deal with the fall out of. - Increasing pressure on sales culture

Pros

Benefits, Cooperative culture, Credit Union mentality

Cons

Gap between corporate vision and reality

Boring workplace

Was a good step back into the office environment. People were friendly and helpful. Although the job that I was doing was boring and repetitive. Good benefits though.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Boring

Fun, but not for me in the long term

Fun place to work, but I was looking to make a lot more money than was available in a credit union. I thought the "sales culture" was a bit unrealistic, considering the repeat member service. I mean how many times can the same members be approached for any/all services available without upsetting them? Also, the advancement was fairly slow and considering the education required to achieve these positions, I thought the compensation was inadequate.

Interesting

Great work culture great staff great people. the customers treat you better than the banks do. you get to help customers find solutions for them. However the older system they use causes a lot of errors. witch is a downfall, it being older has a higher margin for error, unlike an actual bank does. Doing documentation was a lot harder than it should be even putting a loan on the system is much better on a banking system unlike the credit union. Although the staff are amazing great people to work for.

Pros

great staff, benefits

Cons

wage, and hours most people start at part time.

Helping your community grow

The job requires you to be flexible and friendly. You must be observant and able to help the members you see. You learn a lot about finances and how the banking world works. You deal with a lot of different types of individuals all day. You must be able to be friendly and adapt to each different situation. Its a team player driven environment. The best part is working with friendly, great people and being part of a community.

Pros

Great Benefits

Cons

High Stress

Busy environment

I worked here on a six month contract in the imaging department. Here we would scan all loan documents, eg car loans, mortgages etc. Working here eased me back into the office work place environment after having worked from home. The management were very nice and helpful, and the co-workers were friendly and accepting, considering I had come from a different country. The hardest part of the job was the fact that the job was extremely repetitive. The most enjoyable part of the job, was that the job was very stress free.

Pros

Good company benefits/.

Cons

This job was repetitive.

positive ethics and overall great company.

Servus Credit Union is a fantastic company with in itself with good intentions. Unfortunately they tend to let bad management slide way too often. especially at the northgate branch in Grande Prairie.

Pros

great benefits, positive outlook, send you for training and pay for it.

Cons

Terrible management, unrealistic expectations, very hard to get time off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Servus Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement