Servus Credit Union

Working at Servus Credit Union: Latest Servus Credit Union Reviews

Canada124 reviews

creditunionbankingmemberbranchfinancialbankaccount

Understaffed, Overworked & Unappreciated

Management has unrealistic sales targets and don’t appreciate their employees. Many rural Branches are only allowed to hire casual front line representatives which results in huge staff turnovers and burnt out full time employees expected to pick up the slack, skip lunch and breaks, re-train and never have positional succession planning to cover for holidays etc.

Pros

Salary & Benefits

Cons

Understaffed and Overworked

1 June 2022
Thank you for taking time to leave a review. We are sorry to hear you are feeling unappreciated. your position is an instrumental one. Providing high quality member service is an important part of running our business and we schedule our staff to meet these operational needs. We recognize that sometimes managing employee turnover, schedules and vacation requests can get complicated, and when we're short staffed it can be very challenging. It's unfortunate that you've experienced more of this than we would like. If you'd like to share more specific feedback, we encourage you to reach out to your DM to discuss your branch needs.

Great Financial Institution to work for

I have now been with Servus Credit Union for 15yrs. Servus helped me grow in my role from a teller to a licensed financial advisor. When going through my own personal hardships Servus assisted me in transferring my employment to another Branch in a rule community even when there was no positions available. I feel most FI would never do this. I have now been at my new branch for 4yrs and love it. Great staff to work with and you really get to know and help your member with their financial goals. Its really rewarding to help members achieve these goals and watch them grow through their life experiences.

12 August 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are happy to hear you have been supported in your career and in turn are able to support our members to achieve their financial goals.

Insights into Servus Credit Union

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Inclusive work environment

Ok job when you need to make money

I feel Servus went downhill at the end of my career. VERY DISAPPOINTED with the recent LAY OFF of a lot of incredible staff, for the sole benefit of the management!

Pros

Not many

Cons

Plenty

Great place to work!

I love working for Servus, I have been here for 5 years just changed to a different position in the company. I like the challenges presented, people I work with and my supervisors/managers!

Pros

Great environment!

Cons

Haven't found any yet

12 August 2022
Thank you for your review! We hope you find just as much success and fulfillment in your new role.

Great place to work!

Been with Servus for over 5 years and honestly so blessed to work for such an amazing company. Lots of room for growth and advancement; started out in the branches and moved my way up into different departments. Didn't have any banking experience before joining Servus and so thankful I got the opportunity to build my career and continue to build my career with them. Definitely wouldn't want to work for any other financial institution.

Pros

Great people, Understanding management, life-work balance is really good, career advancement

Cons

Pay could be higher for certain positions

12 August 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are happy to hear you've been supported throughout your career progression. Cheers to the next 5 years!

5 years

Recently just finished my first 5 years here and feel I have progressed well. With hard work and extra training (that Servus paid for) I have been able to move up 3 positions in that time. I have no complaints. I have a good team, good manager and although always extremely busy am confident in my role. Would I like extra pay, extra holidays, extra free time etc. Yes, I'm sure everyone says the same. But as a whole I've found my time at Servus extremely positive.

6 June 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Congratulations on 5 years of service!

Workplace Politics Galore

Where do I start? Workplace Politics galore, if you don't suck up to management, you wont succeed. Constant pressure if you meet your targets (in their standards). Technology backwards and wont upgrade their systems. Going back on their word for certain things. As Servus advertises they aren't like big banks but only offer 2 key differences, its alarming. They are slowly turning into the one thing they solemnly swear they aren't. At the end of the day the members are just numbers on a screen.

Pros

Decent Pay I guess

Cons

Favoritism, Lots of Sucking Up, Lots of down time

21 April 2022
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. As you have heard, Servus is taking aggressive steps to ensure that we are a fast-moving performance culture achieving market-leading growth by being very easy to do business with. Systems and policies are continually being reviewed and evolving has we move forward towards the future. In some ways we are the same as traditional Banks as our business is banking. We are a full-service financial institution, that offers full spectrum of products and services, from transaction and savings accounts to mortgages and business banking, with competitive rates and fees. What sets us apart is our member first philosophy and our co-operative model. We are member owned, allow members to choose and connect with our board at our Annual General Meeting, have a 100% deposit guarantee and of course there's our profit share program, which puts our profits back into our members pockets, unlike the traditional banks. If you'd like to share more about your experience with management issues, we encourage you to reach out to EmployeeEngagement@servus.ca

20 Years with Servus

If your looking for a great place to work Servus is the place. Have had 20 years with this great company. They have been amazing to me since the beginning. Lots of changes in the past 20 years but hey change is good.

12 August 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Congratulations on 20 years of service!

Upper management is awful

I worked for this company for 10 years. The first 5 years were wonderful. The last 5 were far from. Management were bullies and HR will NOT take complaints seriously and just shrug off any issues. Servus Credit Union will not advance its long term employees. I liked the members which made it hard to leave Servus. Servus use to be member based and has become more like the big 5. Members are now just numbers.Too many systems to complete a simple task.

12 August 2022
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear your last few years with us were not as wonderful as the first few. Servus does have systems and processes in place to deal with employee complaints, so while you may not know the results of the complaint due to privacy, you can be sure that they are always looked at. We wish you all the best in the future.

Good work just not enough to live on in wages.

Great management and coworkers. Don't offer living wages when starting out. Benefits and holidays right from day 1 was a definite bonus. Enjoyed my time there. Meeting new people and helping with their banking needs.

29 March 2022
Thanks for your feedback, we are happy to hear you enjoyed the management, coworkers, and helping our members with their banking needs. Servus does pay living wages and we compensate above average in the financial industry however we appreciate the feedback as we are constantly reviewing wages to ensure they are both competitive and meet the needs of employees.

Good

Good pay for what you do. The managers and colleagues are friendly. A nice, professional workplace with good job security, solid pay, and good benefits.

21 March 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review! We are happy that your time with us was positive.

Less stressful than a traditional FI

The freedom to put members first and not primarily focus on targets really makes this FI less stressful. If you are not good with targets at all though I would avoid this type of role.

Pros

Member focused Flexible work environment

Cons

Paperwork Outdated Systems

14 February 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We take pride in helping our members financial fitness first and foremost.

Inclusive company that has strong core values.

A strong company that has relatable and strong core values. Lots of opportunities for growth and advancement. Team players and generally just a great place to work.

7 February 2022
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad that your time with us was so positive.

Good Place to Work, Tough to Advance

Enjoyable place to work on most days, focus is on targets, rewarded if you hit them, not so pleasant if you don't.Company prefers to promote internally, but also prefers to promote long tenured people as opposed to newer people, which makes it difficult to move up.

Pros

Good benefits, pretty good work/life balanace.

Cons

Difficult to move up

31 January 2022
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We strive to promote employees who have the right mix of aptitude, competency and experience. We will look into your feedback, though, and see if there are any ways we can improve on this so that our branch teams get the support they need. Otherwise, if you're interested in sharing any more specific information about your experience, we'd love to learn more. You can email us at employeeengagement@servus.ca

Inclusive and investing into employees

Have to work up in the company from bottom line position, but potential to grow. Have to be vocal on where you want to go and create a career path. Have to pitch products that sometimes seem difficult to get people on board with. Good management to support you.

24 January 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're happy you had a positive experience helping shape members financial fitness. We wish you the best on your next chapter.

I didn't realize what a good job felt like until I worked at Servus.

Servus is an impressive company with an impressive history that started falling behind a few years ago. I think that the new management has the correct vision and they are steering the best Credit Union in Alberta to be the best Credit Union in Canada. Servus is different from other financial institutions and banks, employees are accountable to the members, not shareholders in Toronto and around the world. We're accountable to members in the community. And You. You, if you're a member that is. Being a member is a big step, you have to be accountable, care about our vision and your community. Members get a profit share every year based on what products they have. More products, bigger share. When you're booking the appointment tell them to book with with an employee that can tell you all of the Pros. Bring at least $1, ID and your SIN.When I first started at Servus, I talked to my new coworkers, there was a consensus. Servus is the best place to work but the technology is frustrating. You need to have patience to work here, but I think everyone needs patience, it's a good tool to have in your toolbelt for whatever you do in life. If the worst thing about Servus is needing to be patient, they are doing a pretty good job.

Pros

Caring company, Benefits and pay are good, Servus cares about it's employees and members (customers) and their communities, Executives feel like real people- You don't have too many leaders if they're all on the same page, Learning tools are impressive and only limited by technology

Cons

Remote access tools could be better, Employee facing technology is poor but seems to be a priority for the new executives.

24 January 2022
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review. You're right, we do think we are the best place to work. We are working hard to improve our company to be even better, including our technologies.

High pressure, difficult to move business lanes

High pressure from management for sales, same as any other financial sales position at other FIs. Lots of opportunity for learning and knowledge advancement. Difficult to move from branch head office and from office to branch.

25 January 2022
Hi there. Thanks for taking time to leave a review. We are happy to hear you had lots of learning opportunities with us. Sales targets always come second to member needs. We partner with our members to identify and understand their financial needs and find solutions to help support them on their journey to better financial health. Regarding movement, we strive to promote employees who have the right mix of aptitude, competency and experience. We also have career planning tools in place to help employees through their careers and help them develop into the roles they are aiming for.

Dedicated to the wellbeing of membership and staff members.

Servus provides great training @ time of hire and throughout career advancement and changes. The environment and culture is unlike typical banks and while there are competitive and somewhat aggressive sales targets to achieve, the main goal and focus is to improve the overall financial well-being of our membership. Typical day is having 3-5 booked (or walk-in) appointments with members for various needs such as loans and mortgages, investments and retirement planning, new accounts, estates, etc. Servus does all underwriting and most approvals in-branch and FAs even have their own lending limits in which they can approve deals without a higher-ups review. FAs also wear many hats and are required to be knowledgeable in many different subject matters compared to other banks. Management style of course changes from branch to branch and manager to manager but overall thr processes in place are fairly uniform and expectations are made clear. Excellent benefits including staff discounted lending rates, free banking , access to free advice for estate and tax planning, health spending account, 3 weeks paid vacation starting and up to 6 weeks paid after reaching milestone of 15 years of employment. Decent salary, paid sick time and emergency days, paid flex days, extended health and dental with 4 different levels of coverage to choose from, RRSP / pension matching starting @ 5% of salary (10% combined) increasing every 5 years of employment by 1%. Beat part of the job is helping others achieve their goals - buying first car, home, or dream home, planning for and achieving -

Pros

Free bankingband reduced rates Benefits Paid time odd Job security

Cons

Can be Stressful during busy times Technology outdated / outages

24 January 2022
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are so happy to hear your time with us has been positive so far. We agree that helping shape members financial fitness and making a difference is the best part of what we do every day. As you're aware we are working hard to improve our technologies to enable you to do your jobs better.

Lots of politics going on in the branch.

Benefits aren't too bad. Management and co-workers are not very pleasant to work with, always with issues. Does not value long- time employees and always have favouritism. If you complain to the management, they only listen to one side of story and only want to hear what they want to hear. If management does not like you, you may as well start looking for a new job.

Pros

free banking

Cons

too much politics at work. out dated system

22 November 2021
Thank you for your reply and providing your honest and valuable feedback. Providing a working environment that is respectful of all employees and open to honest feedback is very important to us, so we're sorry to hear your overall experience at Servus was not a positive one. If you’d like to discuss further, we’d be happy to hear from you, our email is EmployeeEngagement@servus.ca.

Understanding the member needs. The majority of coworkers were awesome.

Its advertised that Servus treats everyone equal and like family. My termination after 20 some years proves the opposite. An employee reaches a certain age, be aware, if your superviser marks you, an employee will be coached out. Doesn't matter how many years of service, or loyality. If you are marked to leave; you better start looking for another job. If your manager favours you, you are good to go. Hopefully, they will be employed as long as you. I don't trust this organization anymore, and have moved my membership elsewhere. I doubt if anyone cares.

Pros

Good co-workers

Cons

Company politics.

25 August 2021
I am sorry to hear that your experience with Servus left you feeling this way. We work hard to ensure our employees are treated in a way that aligns with our values and it is very unfortunate that this wasn't your experience. I am interesting in learning more about your situation to understand what we could have done differently. If you are open to discussing further, please contact me directly at michelle.fairley@servus.ca

Loved servus

Loved working at SCU - Left due to relocation & cried leaving. if your looking for a good wage, Work satisfaction , Work life balance & excellent friends this is your place !

Pros

everything

Cons

its only in Alberta

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Servus Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement