Servus Credit Union Employee Reviews

Toxic Workplace at multiple branches
Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Alberta15 November 2018
No matter what branch you work at the management is horrible. The values they claim to have with work/life balance don't actually exist. Many of my co workers had multiple issues with trying to balance their kids that were in school or daycare that they couldn't leave work to attend to them without some kind of repercussion. Your only paid till 5:00 but expected to stay late and you do not get overtime I have seen myself 3 branches that have such a toxic workplace the clients of the branches are leaving and wont come back. The work processes are so behind that you have to struggle to serve the customers in a timely manner
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
toxic work enviornment
19 November 2018

We're sorry that this has been your experience. We do value work/life balance and take these comments seriously. We'd like to know more so we can address these concerns for the employees and the members at these specific branches. Can you please contact me at john.hearn@servus.ca? With regards to the processes, we are continuing to invest in our technologies to make the working process quicker smoother. We appreciate your feedback, and hope to hear more from you soon.

Toxic Workplace
Relationship Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 October 2018
The management were absolutely brutal. Small minded individuals with personal agendas.
Senior managers had a "detractors will be shot" attitude. They would regularly schedule meetings to try and figure out who made negative comments on the Employee Engagement Survey in order to stop your career.
Instead of making decisions and being accountable, they would look for people to throw under the bus and then cover themselves in teflon so nothing would stick to them.
There is no strategic plan or reason to exist.
Pros
Decent mortgage rates
5 November 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts. We take comments such as this seriously and would appreciate a further conversation so we can gain insight to make improvements to workplace and corporate culture. If you wish to contact me you can email me at john.hearn@servus.ca.

not good company
Financial Advisor/ Training Mentor (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB17 September 2018
they are not a good company to work for and they don't have good ethics treat staff bad and have no sense in what good management is. They just don't have a good HR department
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
poor management
25 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your thoughts. We take comments such as this seriously and would appreciate a further conversation so we can gain a better understanding of your perspective. If you wish to contact me you can email me at john.hearn@servus.ca.

John Hearn
Manager, Employee Engagement

great team atmosphere
Supervisor Member Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2018
fun place to work with great people. Always got to meet new people and take on new challenges every day. In times of struggle support and knowledge were always within reach.
Pros
supportive team
Cons
poor management
24 September 2018

Thank you for taking a moment to leave a review. We are so happy to hear that you felt supported within your role.

Best company to work with
MEMBER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 August 2018
Provide good service to our members
Awesome managers to work with
Supportive co workers
More on cash balancing
the hardest job is to solve one member's problem
to their account
Pros
incentives
24 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are so happy you had a positive experience with us. We definitely agree that the hardest job is solving problem's for our members, but it is also the most rewarding as we help our members becoming financially fit.

A company that cares!
Senior HR Consultant (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB14 August 2018
I feel so blessed to have found a new career and new home with the Servus CU family. Changing careers completely in mid life was a challenge in itself but finding a position with Servus helped me transition successfully. I took a chance on a temporary 12 month contract with Servus with no guarantee of a position after the contract. That was 10 years ago! Things happen here for those who work hard and believe in Servus. The opportunities for advancement are unlimited if your life permits a move. If not, there are ways to keep your career a challenge especially when you come to work with one thing in mind; serving members and sharing your knowledge about financial fitness. In the end we all want to be financial fit and be able to retire the way we had envisioned.

My typical day at work is supporting and guiding our employees with everything HR. There are times when my days are filled with different emotions as we work through situations but I work with a fantastic team who give me the support I need to forge ahead.

Servus supports me in my love for life long learning both financially and time away to complete my CPHR (Chartered Professionals in Human Resource) designation. I am enrolled in Servus' Foundation Leadership Program which is a collaborate and blended 2 year program for all leaders at Servus, I attend various conferences and courses throughout each year and bring back all my learning to the teams I work with.

Servus isn't perfect but its super close if you are looking for a company that cares about people.
Pros
Fantastic people, great benefits, career opportunities
Cons
um.....there must be some but for me I can't think of one.
24 September 2018

We are so thrilled you took the time to leave such a positive review here! You are right when you say we aren't perfect, but with people like you working for us, we are definitely on our way to building a better world, one member at a time.

Self Management
Investment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Union, ON6 August 2018
Cold calling potential investors with a higher net worth to enable them to obtain a greater return. Reviewed existing portfolio to ensure that these investments with the portfolio were in line with the investors risk tolerance.. Management was offsite but available at a phone call.Branch personal consistently referred potential clients. Finding clients that were aware that investing was a long terms as opposed to short term speculating. Met a bunch or wonderful people.
Pros
self time management
Cons
limited market place
24 September 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are happy that you found a role that was fulfilling for you. While we realize we have limited market place in some areas, we are always working to find ways to expand into new markets.

Productive and dynamic work environment
Deployment Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 June 2018
Productive and dynamic work environment, lot of applications, deploying, testing and troubleshooting applications, lot to learn. I loved deploying and testing applications and at the same time working with different teams, very dynamic work environment.
Pros
Too many applications
Cons
Too many applications
24 July 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We're so happy to hear that you enjoy the work you do. It's people like you that helps us build a better world one member at a time.

A Company With Good Ideals
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB5 June 2018
When I first joined Servus I absolutely loved the ideals that the company had, but I very quickly learnt that at a branch level it is not that way at all. Every branch is extremely clicky and management picks and chooses what polices to follow and what to not. Advancement isn't even an option in some branches unless you are friends with management. There is one branch in particular in Grande Prairie that is truly awful. I was told by management they get to decide if I am sick enough to stay home. Servus also tries to tell everyone they pay the most out of all FI's but it really isn't so. They actually pay less than any other FI. I can met some really great people while working there but the environment was just horrendous.
Pros
The members
Cons
Generally great job but sales program invades customers privacy
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB26 May 2018
You need to go through customer account to find things to sell to them. Large emphasis on selling credit cards. They call the program Members First. Really Servus first. Doesn’t fit with the ideals of a co-op or credit union.
1 October 2018

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. At Servus Credit Union, we are here to help shape our member's financial fitness by providing tailored financial advice to help them reach their financial goals. Members First is a consultative sales strategy designed to better understand member financial goals by first uncovering potential financial needs or problems, and then providing solutions with the products and services that we offer. Members First aims always to help members feel informed, respected and valued as the owners of Servus Credit Union.

Excellent team
Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 May 2018
Fun place to work with excellent atmosphere offering continual learning. Work culture is good and have had 11 years IT experience with the company. This company has one numerous employee awards.
Pros
workout facility
Cons
Far from home
One of the best employers...
Accounting Clerk - Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 May 2018
As a financial adviser serving members over the phone presented new challenges every day that encourages active learning. Highly supportive management team and integrated support provided by inter-departments makes it an awesome place to work.
24 September 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave your review! We are so lucky to have employees like you that are eager to learn and grow with us.

Fun environment, friendly co workers.
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Athabasca, AB12 April 2018
Servus is a great company. I am looking to move on to something different than just banking. My time at Servus has been fun and rewarding. Great staff and fun environment.
24 September 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We wish you all the best in your new career.

alright
Mortgage Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2018
it is great company to be with, however, managers are not supporting in regards to career path. Otherwise, company is providing great benefit and employee rrsp.
If office work is your favourite type of work, then this place is for you.
Retail Lending Administrator (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 March 2018
A typical day at work is about what you would expect, and is almost what has been depicted in movies for decades. In at 8:00am, bad coffee, great co-workers, and a management team that is willing to work with you instead of against you. They go out of their way to understand your unique situation. The workplace culture suffers from the iron-clad fist of professional image management, which I understand, just don't necessarily agree with. Well, the extent of it anyways. Otherwise, co-workers are pleasant and courteous. Always willing to help if they can, and able to direct you if they can't. The hardest part of the day, for me, is the constant sitting. As someone who likes to be up and around, I find the amount of sitting appalling. The most enjoyable part of my day is talking with co-workers and going home.
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits package, great co-workers, helpful management team.
Cons
Too much sitting, the work is bland and predictable, the coffee really is terrible.
24 September 2018

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts. We apologize for the bad coffee, but we do pride ourselves on offering competitive salaries and benefits to offset the lack of better coffee. We hope you can forgive us and continue to help us shape members financial fitness.

Training was excellent, Work Environment was not.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB25 February 2018
The training was excellent and thorough.
Working at the branch was not so great. The culture was not inclusive of me amd I felt like I never was one of the team.
Pros
Benefits for Part Time Employees
Cons
Immature branch management.
Decent place to work
Associate Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB25 February 2018
Overall the salary and benefits are good but I feel that the higher up management don't always consider how changes affect the lower level employees. Some times I feel like the work life balance is not always adhered to despite them stressing that that is one of the corporate values
It's an OK place to work.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2018
Pros - great people work here. I've made some life long friends.

- I love what I do. I make peoples dreams come true. A dream vacation, a home, education for kids. This is what I live for...a satisfied member/customer.

Cons - Too much micro managing.
- We are told it's all based on the member experience and what's best for the member, but in reality, our performance is based on sales sales sales.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Financial Advisor 2 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 February 2018
The greatest thing about working for servus is that you get to build long lasting relationships with the members that bank with the credit union. They offer staff enhanced training to be able to provide information to our members to help them work to towards their financial goals and retirement.
Good company to work for, growing pains affect staff at branches
Financial Advisor/Investment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 January 2018
- Great benefits package
- Provincial company so lots of locations to choose from
- Limited advancement opportunities unless willing to relocate to Edmonton
- Many great networks within the company for the benefits of the staff, young leaders network, women's network, presidents advisory council, innovation groups
- Good incentive pay system
- Willing to train right candidates for positions
- Biggest downfall is that the executive leadership team are mostly well removed from their time in branch (if they were ever in a branch), so often decisions that are made are difficult for branches to deal with the fall out of.
- Increasing pressure on sales culture
Pros
Benefits, Cooperative culture, Credit Union mentality
Cons
Gap between corporate vision and reality

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Servus Credit Union. Our community is ready to answer.