Servus Credit Union Employee Reviews

Fun environment, friendly co workers.
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Athabasca, AB12 April 2018
Servus is a great company. I am looking to move on to something different than just banking. My time at Servus has been fun and rewarding. Great staff and fun environment.
If office work is your favourite type of work, then this place is for you.
Retail Lending Administrator (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 March 2018
A typical day at work is about what you would expect, and is almost what has been depicted in movies for decades. In at 8:00am, bad coffee, great co-workers, and a management team that is willing to work with you instead of against you. They go out of their way to understand your unique situation. The workplace culture suffers from the iron-clad fist of professional image management, which I understand, just don't necessarily agree with. Well, the extent of it anyways. Otherwise, co-workers are pleasant and courteous. Always willing to help if they can, and able to direct you if they can't. The hardest part of the day, for me, is the constant sitting. As someone who likes to be up and around, I find the amount of sitting appalling. The most enjoyable part of my day is talking with co-workers and going home.
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits package, great co-workers, helpful management team.
Cons
Too much sitting, the work is bland and predictable, the coffee really is terrible.
Training was excellent, Work Environment was not.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB25 February 2018
The training was excellent and thorough.
Working at the branch was not so great. The culture was not inclusive of me amd I felt like I never was one of the team.
Pros
Benefits for Part Time Employees
Cons
Immature branch management.
Decent place to work
Associate Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB25 February 2018
Overall the salary and benefits are good but I feel that the higher up management don't always consider how changes affect the lower level employees. Some times I feel like the work life balance is not always adhered to despite them stressing that that is one of the corporate values
It's an OK place to work.
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2018
Pros - great people work here. I've made some life long friends.

- I love what I do. I make peoples dreams come true. A dream vacation, a home, education for kids. This is what I live for...a satisfied member/customer.

Cons - Too much micro managing.
- We are told it's all based on the member experience and what's best for the member, but in reality, our performance is based on sales sales sales.
The most enjoyable part of the job
Financial Advisor 2 (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 February 2018
The greatest thing about working for servus is that you get to build long lasting relationships with the members that bank with the credit union. They offer staff enhanced training to be able to provide information to our members to help them work to towards their financial goals and retirement.
Good company to work for, growing pains affect staff at branches
Financial Advisor/Investment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB13 January 2018
- Great benefits package
- Provincial company so lots of locations to choose from
- Limited advancement opportunities unless willing to relocate to Edmonton
- Many great networks within the company for the benefits of the staff, young leaders network, women's network, presidents advisory council, innovation groups
- Good incentive pay system
- Willing to train right candidates for positions
- Biggest downfall is that the executive leadership team are mostly well removed from their time in branch (if they were ever in a branch), so often decisions that are made are difficult for branches to deal with the fall out of.
- Increasing pressure on sales culture
Pros
Benefits, Cooperative culture, Credit Union mentality
Cons
Gap between corporate vision and reality
Great atmosphere to work in
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 January 2018
Would recommend to work here. The values are apparent in this company and it depends which branch you are in but there mostly is a family-like environment.
My observations about Information Services
VP IS Operations and Service Management (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB30 October 2017
Good people work here. Operations was a lot of work and there is much more to do. My team was excellent--I really enjoyed working with them. I learned a lot from the experience.
Fun, but not for me in the long term
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Union, ON6 September 2017
Fun place to work, but I was looking to make a lot more money than was available in a credit union. I thought the "sales culture" was a bit unrealistic, considering the repeat member service. I mean how many times can the same members be approached for any/all services available without upsetting them?

Also, the advancement was fairly slow and considering the education required to achieve these positions, I thought the compensation was inadequate.

Want to know more about Servus Credit Union?

Ask a question
Love
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bow Island, AB24 August 2017
I was so blessed to work for servus. I wish they had one in B.C. the opportunity for advancement is awesome. They teach you so many skills in the financial industry
Lots of community involvement opportunities
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB28 June 2017
I had a good experience working at Servus Credit Union. There is always continuous learning and new opportunities. Other positions within the company allow for advancement and movement within. The morale is reasonable in the area I worked in.
Great place to work lost of internal promotion
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB31 May 2017
Loved working here, loved my managers.
I only left because moving away again. Must be good with technology and a quick learner. Not a job anyone can do. And you have to stay very up to date on anti money laundering laws so there is a bit of a school aspect to it as well (even tests haha). Not a job for lazy people but if you like to stay busy and have the days fly by it's great. (If your at a busy location like I was)
Pros
Lots of gift cards and prizes when you meet targets
Cons
meeting targets goals sometimes makes it stressful if you fall behind
Very Low Engagement
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2017
Seems at times that they are no different than the big banks, product dumping with zero leadership.
Management has no clue about how to support their teams.
culture is split between two regions that still feels like two companies.
The computer systems are from the 90's takes 4 hours to input a credit application. All documents get sent in the bag no doc imaging so be prepared for them to loose your files and have to call your clients back to redo documents.
Bilingual call center representative
Associate Financial Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 April 2017
I would handling inbound calls, where clients are calling to inquire about their account, daily transaction, payment by telephone banking. It was a friendly environment. There was free courses given to the staff on a monthly bases.
Interesting
Personal Banker/Financial Planner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2017
Great work culture great staff great people. the customers treat you better than the banks do. you get to help customers find solutions for them. However the older system they use causes a lot of errors. witch is a downfall, it being older has a higher margin for error, unlike an actual bank does. Doing documentation was a lot harder than it should be even putting a loan on the system is much better on a banking system unlike the credit union. Although the staff are amazing great people to work for.
Pros
great staff, benefits
Cons
wage, and hours most people start at part time.
Loved interacting with the members
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Blackfalds, AB2 March 2017
Always enjoyed seeing familiar faces as well as welcoming new ones. I learnt a lot over the period of 7 years. Banking is not just deposits and withdrawals. It is getting to know your member and assisting them in making their money work for them in the most effective way.

The hardest part was watching people come in and question on Estate Accounts. Being in a small community you meet a lot of families. To know what they are going through breaks your heart. It has nothing to do with banking, but everything to do with knowing your member.
Pros
Customer Service
Cons
members complaining of to many sales being pushed on them
Productive & rewarding
Supervisor, Member Services (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB28 January 2017
Structured & organized.
Constant on going learning & advancement opportunities.
Management is excellent.
Workplace has a team spirit.
Building the business in the far north could be a challenge especially after the destructive fire that destroyed 1/2 of the community and then the downturn in the oil patch.
Most enjoyable was the daily challenge & ensuring everything was handled in the utmost professional & accountable manner.
Loved it!
Pros
Continued education
Cons
It was a fun job experience.
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB20 January 2017
Working for Servus Credit Union was a lot of fun. I enjoyed working with the staff and management. I liked that it felt like we were all family. We worked together and it made work days go by fast.
Pros
Free Breakfast when you worked saturdays
Cons
Selling
flexible working hours
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 August 2016
I learned a lot of things cause that is my first work experience in Accounting in Canada. My team lead and co-workers are very helpful.
Pros
Flexible work time