Service Ontario

Service Ontario Employee Reviews

Canada79 reviews
I’ve learned how to process ownerships transfer and renew licenses, stickers, identifications and etc. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people.
You process people all day. People who are abusive with no management protection. No benifits, no sick days, no vacation pay. You cant work cause you're sick, you dont get paid. Management only cares about the bottom line, employees are expendable and there is a high turn over rate. You get paid minimum wage to take public abuse and get treated like a nobody
Pros
No pros
Cons
Too many to list
Serving customers with Service Ontario related products such as drivers licence renewal, health card renewal, registering vehicle, vehicle renewals advising and answering customer concerns
I'm enjoyable to work this job just only at the beginning after that is bad. I work at a private location manager doesn't know how to work as a team. Poor management I'm not recommend. And the paid can't afford your family.
I had to go to a psychiatrist for a year after working for this place. I was mocked and made fun of by manager. Called names every day by manager. Almost every customer wants to argue about everything .
Cons
Horrible place to work. Offices are independently owned (don’t be fooled that it is a government job) so pay is minimum wage. Tons to learn and the responsibilities expected definitely out weigh the pay. While I was employed management would “rate” prospective interviewees by coding resumes with a guess on age - can you say discrimination?? Many confidential rules were broken as well. I did however have a nice co-worker. That was the only good part of the job.

The only
Just routine day at work. No activities or anything special. Good schedule though.
This was an franchise Service Ontario so my comments are based on this place only. I'm assuming the Government departments of Service Ontario are quite different.
Can't go on vacation... must be there a year or longer. Vacation is not buildable like how MOST companies run their companies. They pay young girls $14.00/hr and be friends and use workplace politics and manipulation to keep their staff and the manager watches ynr soaps in the back. It was a stepping stone for me to have the brand on my resume however horrible experience.
Great workplace. You learn new things everyday. Fast paced environment. You learn alot of patience. You will eventually be able to handle angry customer as the you gain experience in the role.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Service Ontario?
When I was working there truly loved my job. Dealing with the public on a daily basis. Although there are challenges it is also rewarding. It definitely was a job where you could learn something new everyday.
No training how do you give security. you have to pay for so much before you get the job and do all the security training on your own. over 2 months then when you get the job no hours but you are not allow to get another job to pay bills and be on call just in case
The work is very easy and co-workers are great. Very hard to deal with the general public. Now that a lot of transaction can be done online job security is an issue.
I learned a lot about the vehicles in Ontario and the healthcare system in Ontario. It is a challenging job. The system used by the ministry is very old and can be very confusing. You have to remember a lot as the system is very old. As well as all the different rules and regulations for both vehicle and the healthcare side. Customers are normally very rude and angry.
This company has a lot of benefits for people working for them. I love the team of developers that I'm working with and I'm enjoying every single moment there. My job is hard but it's shaping me for the future as part of experience in my field (Software Engineering).
Great company, Management and Executive staff were very helpful and approachable, great staff on all levels.Busy environment.
Nice atmosphere,wonderful supervisors.
Pros
Shines a light on the entirely of an employee's actions, not just what the manager witnesses
Cons
Could be difficult for some employees to judge accurately
- fun workplace
- built good relations with customers

- co-operative and understanding management

- friendly co-workers

- the hardest part of the job is to make people understand government rules and have them follow it

- fun part of the job is talking and dealing with people and help them with transactions and keep them happy
Pros
long breaks
Cons
working on weekends
I enjoyed my position very much and excelled quickly. In a matter of only a few months I went from entry level position to an acting 10 position. I was given a lot of responsibility and was happy working for Service Ontario. Unfortunately with the new government many people were retiring and not being replaced. I too decided to retire early.
Pros
Mentally stimulating job
Cons
Worked mostly by myself as no replacement of retirees and several on stress leave.
Entertaining workplace, always on foot with something to work on. Lots to learn along with great staff in a great working environment. Long hours with minimal breaks
Great place to work. Great team environment. A lot of things to learn, but well worth it. Good management team and coworkers make the job worth going to on a daily basis.
working at this place is very stressfull. this place gave me so many experience base on this work experience we deal and hadle so many cases and that teached us patience.
Cons
stressfull
It's a comfortable environment to work in. No real job benefits. Pay is not really high enough for the knowledge needed to perform the job. Hours of work are good
Pros
Comfortable place to work
Cons
Not paid for lunches. No benefits