Service Corporation International Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Receptionist/ Administrative Asst (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 March 2019
I learned lots, had fun, and met lots of dedicated people. Each person working there were a wealth of information, and more than willing to teach me the ropes.
There was one person that took her title more seriously than realizing she was part of a strong team, and team is better than title.
Pros
Fun people to work with
Cons
They do not do anything about bullies.
Toxic workplace!
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2019
All the things we despise in a work environment. Bullying, harassment, relentless pressure to perform. Managers are past funeral directors with no management skills whatsoever.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, low pay, toxic work environment
not a good place to work with
Community Service Consultant / Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC3 January 2019
other sales is hostile if you make big sale or trying to steal from you.
manager are fair but only you good at sales.
the pay is good but less than competitors.
Great Place To Work
Market Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 August 2018
Supportive teams and opportunities for showcase your talents.
Quick paced and room for advancement in the company if you apply yourself and work hard.
Great network of teams who are there to see the group succeeds - over just an individual.
Pros
Nice, clean facilities, lots of coffee and great support network
Cons
Fast paced and not for the slackers - but is that a con?
Great group to work with
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC28 June 2018
I learned a lot from working in this delicate environment. I acquired vast experience in an administrative role and working in a busy workplace that requires strict attention to detail.
if you want to live and breathe death, this is a job for you.
Apprentice Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC17 April 2018
Dealing with people who have lost someone and now they are forced to spend a pile of money on frivolous things the funeral industry has created and made traditional to use, fancy expensive caskets and more...
Pros
discount if you die while you work there
Cons
dealing with death day in and day out
Team Spirit
Funeral Director (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 February 2018
A typical day is very busy we see a lot of families, Everyday you learn something new and your team is right there to help you through whatever you need.
my management team are the best I have ever worked for, I am not talking as a whole of SCI , but as in the location I work at. They are generous with their time, they are always thoughtful and nothing is below their paygrade.
Our families always say that they come here because someone had recommended them us to us because the staff will do whatever we can to accommodate. And that is because we are a family, including our managers. We team bond with fun outings, we include cemetery and family counselors , we work together for the end goal our families and I have to say we have the best customer service too! Funeral homes are already a sad place for families to walk into, but if the staff are happy, the atmosphere changes families feel less stressed and in most cases, they are much more comfortable with us.
Pros
You experience real life and you are able to help.
Cons
sometimes, the job can be emotional draining
Professional Environment
Funeral attendent (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BC20 September 2017
This job is satisfactory but does not provide enough work hours. Working with families in such a heartfelt situations motivated me toward providing excellent customer satisfaction.
Enjoyed my position within the company
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON7 September 2017
Enjoyed working with the funeral directors and assisting with visitation and funerals.
Enjoyed answering phones and light housekeeping with in the facility.
Poor management.
A different experience
Apprentice Funeral Director (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 April 2017
Was not quite what I thought it would be. Staff is generally very friendly and helpful with other employees. Offers to provide long term employment. Must like funerals.
They don't pay what they offer. Products and services extremely expensive compared to competitors makes SCI hard to sell
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver BC Canada21 March 2017
I had to wait 6 months to be paid.
Very poor IT support. 90's Laptops at the office for entering leads, appointment and processing sales. Have to buy your own electronic device to do your sale work. Lack of training: limited to memorize a script and reading of non updated documents. High pressure for sale to your family and friends. No support at all for regular expenses needed for pre-sales and sell. Office: dirty, dusty, only one washroom m/f together for 52 peoples (Forest Lawn) and small (1.2 m wide) cubicle, stinky kitchen, just to say the less.
Imposible to reach sale bar. Even if you make your job properly, and for any reason your client contact the company for asking discount, you lose your sale. Totally crazy. They are not what they say they are. The most expensive funeral services and cemetery properties in the country, hard to sale because lower prices of competitors.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Tricky hiring contract, low quality training, Low payment, No benefit for sale team, Stinky office, Tiny dirty old cubicle, you have to buy your own electronic device, All at your own risk, Laptops from 90s have to wait 30 to 40 mins for start up, 1 washroom for 52 persons.
Helping families is the best part of the job.
"Family Service Counselor" (Current Employee) –  York, ON9 February 2017
Highly sales focused atmosphere. Can earn a good living but will sacrifice personal and family time. Spend a lot of time in the community making and building relationships to gain leads and seminars.
Pros
Can make great money, meet new people all the time
Service
Family Service Counselor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba2 February 2017
The most enjoyable part of this position is that you have the ability to assist and guide emotionally charged people through the funeral and burial/disposition process
Pros
intrinsically rewarding
Cons
can become emotionally attached
Company doesn't really care about employees
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Saanich, BC24 January 2017
American company, run by Americans, with philosophy of employees are expendable. Terrible communication overall, not professional, not very supportive.
Pros
Discounted funeral services.
Cons
Cheap
A funny work place
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON18 January 2017
Great company to work with.

Opportunity to work with people from different background.

A product that every one has to have.
The hardest part is talking about death every day. You get to but people are scare to talk about it.

The most enjoyable part is helping families in one of the worst days in life
Pros
The reality of the service Dignity Memorial sells
Cons
It is about death. Not many people like to talk about it
Great
Sales (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BC17 September 2016
It is a stimulating and challenging position. It is a an honor to help families in their time of need. It is an important job.
Pros
Customer Focus
Cons
Morning call-ins
Great Service but willing to work for $10.50 an hour
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 March 2016
A necessity of life and death.

Are you willing to work for $10.50 an hour? That is the big question.
Meeting grieving families in their homes, Old age homes.
Pros
Independent
Cons
$10.50 an hour
Pleasant workplace with nice work culture
Executive Assistant of Financial Officer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC24 November 2015
The company is globally set as a big family where people interact for the achievement of the same global objective.
Work spirit and culture interesting with good collaboration between colleagues.
Management very supportive and encourages self development, encourages less supervision thus more decision making of my own.
Excellent opportunity on the sales side of the business to make a excellent income while helping people
Sales Manager for Vancouver Island (Former Employee) –  Victoria BC20 November 2014
I worked for SCI for 20 yrs and can say they were very good to me ,I received excellent training and support and had many opportunities to advance .I had the privilege to work with many great managers and colleagues over the years ,it was overall a great experience that I don't regret.
Pros
opportunity
Cons
Company has grown to big to fast and everyone is spread to thin
Enriching and compassionate role
Sales Counselor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario27 December 2013
work with families at need and pre-need
organize educational seminars about pre-arrangements
network in the community with leadersand decision makers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Corporation International. Our community is ready to answer.

Service Corporation International Reviews by Location