Service Canada

Service Canada Employee Reviews

Must love red tape processes

Training is intense and 3 months long. Not everyone makes it through. The position is best for those with high-level reading comprehension (fast reader) and has superior attention to detail. In the call center, there is very little decision-making that can be done. 90% of the work will require referral to different levels of process teams.

Benefits

Cons

Must be able to follow rules and be ok with not thinking autonomously

Comes down to management

I had a terrible supervisor who liked to bully employees and ultimately disliked the job because of her. Lots of red tape, repetitive work. Great pay, lots of opportunities for overtime.

Pros

37.5 hour/week

Cons

Management needs to train team leaders and supervisors in leadership.

Too Stressful

Stressful! Expectations too high for the menial pay and under constant criticism to do better. Don't do this and Don't do that! If you need help, good luck! Call the pay center, help desk or whatever call center might apply to your problem. You are just a number. Pay is NEVER correct and one mistake is made on top of the last. It's a rats nest of issues that never go away.

Pros

work for Government. Wow!

Cons

Everything. This employer sucks!

incompetence at the workplace

A typical day at work is to get your computer up and running, without breakdown or disconnection, and navigating inefficient systems that are old, archaic and not user friendly nor effective. You learn next to nothing in training and will be stressed as learning curve takes three to six times the length to learn than any where else. Job may take years to learn. Management can change each week and they do not care at all. They are not transparent, can be petty and do a very bad job in personnel management and are definitely not that qualified. They may not treat you honestly and they have no concern as they communicate one way and only their way. Bad management may make work unbearable over time and put unnecessary stress and burden over you. Culture at work does not exist, you are chained to the desk all day, and are micromanaged each minute. You may be treated worse than a number. It may be one of the worse gov jobs, as sure will not feel like gov job, and may not be worth the toll it takes on you as you may be stressed daily, without reason to be. Aside from helping citizens as civil servants and the joy that can bring, job can be bad choice in the end.

virtual training is intense

I found it very difficult to take in all the was presented in training --in class training would have been better, however with the current situation ( covid) have to go with what is available.

benefits

Cons

stressful

Good experience

I had a positive experience as an intern. I was paired with a mentor and she taught me a lot in the department where I did my intern. I do recommend students to their internships here.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Won't get hired

J’aimais mon travail

S’était un travail très valorisant et enrichissant

great opportunity

great career opportunity amazing working condition for life balance support from management flexibility and remote work various locations good salary satisfied.

fair and helpful workplace

stressful job with a lot to learn - very stressful training a lot of reviews and pointing out of mistakes you need to be good at keeping calm through angry calls

Pros

very optimistic atmosphere

Cons

stressful training

Good

I loved helping people, I loved making a difference. Good staff and very helpful. They made me me fell super welcome and part of the team. Loved it !

Jobs at Service Canada

See more jobs

Service Canada is a fantastic work place to serve nation

Regarding work culture and job satisfaction it was a fantastic opportunity for me. But to maintain my family and professional life I needed more money. That was the reason, I left the job. However, there was lots opportunity to develop career and serve nation.

Overall great place to work

Very fast paced. Great hours - Monday to Friday, 8:30 to 4:30. Great co-workers and managers. Can be stressful yet rewarding. Must have good phone and computer skills.

Positive work environment

This is a customer service type job. Everyday is different. It is nice to be able to go home and not worry about a pile of paperwork on your desk waiting.

Supportive and fulfilling work envirnment.

Working for Service Canada gave me such a sense of purpose helping clients. Although it could be stressful at times because you are dealing with very sensitive issues like income and employment, my co-workers were always there to support me and help me. I enjoyed assistig clients and being able to help them navigate some very difficult situations. My manager was amazing.

Best job, great management, great coworkers

While I was only employed here as a student, I would recommend to anyone if you can work there, do it. Everyone is very welcoming, friendly and helpful.

Of all my job history. The best job was workimg for Service Canada/Passport Canada

Learnt a lot . Co-workers were the best people to work with, . all team players. I enjoyed going to work everyday for 20 years. Also the team leaders were wonderful to work for. Thank you

Fast paste Good place to work repetitive office based duties constant dealing with clients in unfavorabe situations. Odten time irate.more positive than negative if you respect clients

Environnement agéable

Excellente expérience de travail. Des collègues parfaites. Environnement de travail agréable. J'y travaillais avec un statut d'étudiante et ma gestionnaire a toujours été là afin de m'aider à garder mes études au premier plan.

Awful to work for.

I've been working for Service Canada for way too long. We are not paid well enough oh, the environment is gloomy, strict, they treat us like children and most employees are miserable. If there is a bomb threat, the ceiling falling down from a storm, a man die beside you from a heart or the Coronavirus they will make you wodk stay at work no matter what.

Pros

Not much other than job security

Cons

So many!! I also haven't been paid correctly in four years.

Eye opening introduction to government work

Very steep learning curve highly administrative and mathematical. Great support in early training days but very little support beyond initial introduction of 6 weeks training

Challenging daily workload

Fun Experience and loved allowing deserving people benefits that they required at the time. It was always a learning experience on a daily basis in which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Pros

Safe work environment

Cons

Heavy workload

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Service Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement