Service Canada Employee Reviews

contract on call/ casual
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON9 June 2018
It was a drop in centre that provided a one on one environment that provided the best service for the public. this service is needed and there should be more available for clients as wait times are sometimes overwhelming for people.
Pros
hours
Cons
contract
Good work and life balance
Agente de programme (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC28 May 2018
Service Canada is a great place to work. The benefits and challenges are a definite plus. Located in the centre of Hull with parking options, going to work was a breeze.
gret for experience
Student Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 May 2018
great opportunity to grow and develop as an employee this gives students the opportunity to develop their skills within the workplace and apply their knowledge
Pros
great hours
Cons
n/a
a typical call centre job
Payment Service Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2018
Exhaustive training but no job security. Its a contract position. Its a public sector job with lot of benefits. However takes very long to get permanent.
Pros
Government job
Cons
Contarct position
Depends on your leadership
Payment Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 May 2018
Some managers and team leads are better at their jobs than others (welcome to reality, eh?), but a weak T/L pretty much guarantees that you'll be wishing you were somewhere else. If you like being able to think for yourself and really help the person at the other end of the line, you might want to look somewhere else. Again, your mileage will vary, depending on to whom you report.
Pros
Not hard to get into
Cons
Management is very uneven
Ambiance calme
Agente occasionnelle (Former Employee) –  Ville-Marie, QC12 April 2018
J'aidais les citoyens à remplir leur déclaration de revenus sur internet.
I had a good manager, but you might not
Business Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC9 April 2018
There is a culture of laziness and blame shifting in the government that is unavoidable. I had good experiences with my manager, and this let me take risks and work to fulfill my potential, which was the only thing that kept me going; that isn't the case for all managers.

Things could have easily gone different during my time there. From what I could see the only people who can make a career out of this are the exceedingly dull, the truly lazy... Or the rare people who truly wish to dedicate their lives in the frustrating, necessary, painful, endless bureaucracy that is government public service.

For my part, the money was good, and there was room to advance. If you can stomach it and you're not going anywhere quickly you could spend a long time here.
Pros
Money, Stability, Opportunity
Cons
Red Tape, Extreme Laziness, Culture of Blame
Amazing Departement
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 February 2018
I absolutely loved working for Service Canada.

This department is welcoming to all visitors.

If you need any information on most of the government programs.
Pros
Downtown Ottawa
Cons
No praking
Respectful culture
Program Service Delivery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 February 2018
People are helpful and respectful. the office is a busy with so many cubicles. You will always meet people who are willing to help you and honest too.
Pros
Benefits, family days, flexible schedule
Cons
No advancement
Excellent
Support Clerk for Service Canada (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2018
Love working there, just very sorry that it was only contact work. Would love to work there again. Everyone was friendly and helpful, and made the day go by quickly.
Pros
Enjoyed going to work
Cons
Contact work
Student Work!
Student Clerk (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON29 January 2018
Working with Service Canada over the summer as a student had given me the experience I needed to move forward in the workplace. I learned what an office environment was like and how to get along with other sorts of people. I felt like working with Service Canada was an amazing experience and felt very welcomed throughout the summer.
Pros
Paid lunch & monthly activities
Cons
Lots of repetition
excellent employment
Citizen Service Officer (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow, NS27 January 2018
I worked as a casual in various contracts. The coworkers were wonderful to work with, very helpful. My manager and supervisor could not have done more for me.
Pros
meeting lots of people, good pay
Interesting
Census Enumerator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 November 2017
Frist time working here and it was a great place to work in. Learnt alot of communication skills and how to interact with people in a kind and composed manner.
Fun place to be
Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON4 November 2017
Great place to gain experience and skills. People sre friendly and helpful. Lots of learning opportunities. Fun environment to be in. No stress. No pressure.
Great place to grow
Payment Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 November 2017
Friendly staff and management. Great place to learn and grow. Application process was fast and easy. They test your knowledge and offer ways to improve.
Low stress environment with a decent pay.
Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta1 November 2017
My shifts as a support clerk start at 7 in the morning and end at 3. We are given two 15 mins breaks and one 30 minute lunch which is reasonable. My position I had with service Canada was pretty simple and stress-free. The management at the place I work could have used more training or hired someone which meet the minimum requirement to become a manager, cause my team leader which is equivalent to a team leader and the manager at the place I worked at both have zero post-secondary education. The people you work with in my opinion are why a lot of people stay with service Canada.
Pros
good benefits, good pay, relax
Cons
management could use more training.
Be a mindless robot
Bilingual Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 August 2017
If you want to work in an environment where you have no shift consistency, a mindless robot and the catch all for stupid procedures and unaccountable government departments then Service Canada is the job for you.

Leave your brain and morals at the door.
Pros
Undeserved high salary
Cons
Everything you could possibly imagine
Na
Commis de prestations et de services (Former Employee) –  Brossard, QC22 August 2017
Je ne veux pas commenter sur mon ancien employeurs je trouve cela délicat.
Great place to work if you love keeping busy!
Payment Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK11 August 2017
Definitely a face paced stressful environment, but the management team and co-workers are amazing and very supportive. Plenty of room to grow within that branch or through other opportunities :)
Pros
stable hours, great pay and benefits, supportive environment
Cons
stressful, emotionally draining
challenging and productive
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB19 July 2017
Discovering transferable skills, Building personal, interpersonal and leadership skills. Also working on team and personal projects to enhance newly leaned skill to prepare for the job placement at the end of the program.
Pros
they provided what is needed for jobs eg. First Aid, Flags
Cons
They take only people with a barrier to getting jobs eg. Disability, jail