Serco Group

Clear
3.1Job security & advancement

Found 20 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,961 reviews

Not a bad place

If you like being on the phone all day it’s a great job for you. Pay is great and benefits as well! Always job openings available and room for raises.

Not Recommended

If you value customer service and treating individuals with respect as a CSA should, this is not a company that appreciates those values aside from posters on the breakroom walls. As a new employee you are thrown to the wolves and if you expect support from coworkers or staff, you'll be greatly disappointed. They do not acknowledge any good you do, or the level of expectation and stress they put you through, especially during Covid; quite frankly, not even to the individuals walking through the doors for services. The amount of unacceptable behaviours I witnessed from staff while training and starting on the counter was astounding! The lack of valid support from management, or working with new staff to learn the job was dismal. The amount they invest in new employees only to send them out the door because it is near impossible to complete your probationary period of 500+ hours when working 3-4 hour shifts (giving zero job security), let alone reducing any anxieties that you're exceeding the daily error allowance by actually educating that employee as to what the errors are and how to correct them, just goes to show how expensive their revolving door is. I, myself, did not work as a drive examiner but am saddened to have witnessed the sheer horror and abuse they are subjected to, not only by the company's ridiculous policies to "prevent covid" (laughable), but from customers themselves due to trying to enforce company policy. Policy is not developed by feedback from frontline workers, it is often a flaccid response to entitled and disgruntled customer complaints. -

Pros

Transaction variety, problem solving, possibly making someone's stressful licensing issue better

Cons

Toxic environment, insecure hours, lack of job security, poor health & safety

Fun place to work at

It is busy place to work. very few opportunities of growth. Job security is there. every day is a new day and exciting. Every minute at work fun and required you to be on your feet.

Pros

Job security

Cons

growth possibilities

Time bound and target based

Its a stressful job as your life is in hands of drivers who hardly know to drive. Money paid is not even close to the risk you take in road tests you take. There are certain number of road tests you have to complete in a day and each test is time bound. If you don't do certain number of road tests , you are called by supervisor. There is Union, so the senior and old employees try to play dirty politics on new employees.

Pros

Some old employees giving good advice on work matters, free lunch

Cons

Not paid as per risk taken, time bound, target based, not chance of advancement

Fun work if you like it.

At Serco Drive Test you will have interesting work. The customer service there can be quite rewarding. The downside here is you will work part time for very few hours and there is little chance for advancement unless you can hang in until someone full time retires. This can take years. When you are hired you are required to do a weeks worth of training and if you do not pass said training then you will not be offered the position. This can be nerve wracking if you have had to quite a previous position in order to take this training.

Pros

Fun and interesting work

Cons

Low hours and little chance for advancement

Pay is good if you live in rural areas but not for those in GTA

Staffing levels are poor causing extra stress and responsibilities on staff. No work life balance. Especially if you are a centre supervisor. Advancement opportunities seem to be hard to achieve even after 17 years of exemplary work ethic and high performance reviews. They don’t want to let you move up from the bottom if you are good at your job as they don’t want to lose you on the front lines.

Relaxed work environment

Good place to work with. You learn a lot while u work but there are No growth opportunities. Management doesnot care for the benefits of the employees. Its a unionized job so your job is safe.

Good to learn new things in life.

Good start as a career but not worth it.Greater risk of life ,no benefits and less pay.Stressful atmosphere ,target based job.Trainers are good and they teach you how to deal with complicated situations.

Pros

Good timing

Cons

Target based

Working at Serco, 5 Wing, Goose Bay.

I really enjoyed working at Serco, 5 Wing Goose Bay. The heating boilers were fairly new, and it was a good experience. I also felt really comfortable working with my co workers who were very helpful in every way.

Bad Training expectations

Before you apply, make sure you know what your getting into. I thought this would be a good company to work for until i experienced an unrealistic expectation I had encountered during training. If you know your are going to be late for your training even if its a legitimate excuse, your better off not coming at all, and find another job. They document you even if you are ONE MINUTE LATE for training and you will be DISMISSED. Through the training process you are NOT GUARANTEE the job until you actually PASS all requirements, that includes being on time, passing all written quizzes and test, shadowed training and your attitude. If you don't do well in all these requirements, you will be dismissed and the material is a lot and overwhelming to learn within 5 days. For those of you looking for another job, if you have one prior to applying, even if they offer you a position, don't quit your job until you know for sure you have a solid offer from Serco and that you pass all requirements. And make sure you have transportation to attend training that could be out of your way, as some training location are out of town. Accommodation is only offer to people who have to travel 100km or more and its only a few cents they pay you. I wish I never had to make a negative review of this company, but its not worth it if your not perfect. I hope my review won't discourage anyone, still apply if you wish, it may work out in your favor, but just giving a heads up of what to expect if you do get an offer from Serco.

Jobs at Serco Group

See more jobs

shift work

So many years since I've worked here, always 12 hour shifts. I did mostly nights, never had any issues. I did my work term with this company and they hired me afterwards.

Driver Examiner: Stressful and unappreciated.

The pay is very good but there are hardly any benefits if pt. There are hardly any advancement opportunities if you are a driver examiner. The work itself is easy but it is very stressful. You almost have to work overtime everyday and it is extremely frustrating. Its always management against employees and it is a very harsh work environment.

Pros

Good pay, monthly potluck

Cons

overtime, stressful, management

We have wellness club and monthly walking competion

It has more than 500 employees working diversified customer service oriented company. Since closely working with government I learned the government policy, procedure and public service. I used to be very difficult to co up with the DOS based system provided by government and now we implemented custom made new system for our Finance and front end purpose. It is great to have demand mandatory so we don't need to spend money for marketing, sales and promotional activities.

Great Company

I enjoyed helping customers face to face, learning the computer system, unfortunately, my learning skills were not adequate according to the London Office Manager.

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Discrimination against my learning disabilities

Productive and fun place to work

Productive and fun place to work. Work life balance is very good.The processes and team work is next to none. Progressive improvement is enhanced due to great team collaboration.

Productive and fun to work

Great place to work. Lots to learn. The management can sometimes be bias but if you have the potential you can work your way through. Good luck !!!

Amazing place to work

Lots of learning, Great Scope of growth. Transparency involved in work. No politics. Dependable open and connected management

A complete joke!

It was so bad, the person they brought in to run the sinking ship of a company LEFT! Management is a joke, this is strictly a company that only promotes people who you are married too, or related too. Don't ever think that you will advance in this company. The worse HR department in history, unethical and full of "simple" people who have no other experience outside of this one company. So don't think you can bring any concerns to them, because they don't care. ALL the managers there are former MTO workers, who have no clue what it takes to run a successful business, and don't care about there employee's again unless you are a relative, a friend of a friend, or a "favourite" YES they are that simple and childish they don't care about you. If you are smart, don't think this is a a easy driving examiner gig, or customer service role. You would think the money they put into training people, they would care, but once released to the wolves, just keep your head down get paid for the summer and keep it moving! You will be completely disappointed. There is no job security and you will be wasting your time. Don't be fooled, there is nothing there for you.

Pros

Can't think of any

Cons

Legacy workers, who don't have ANY other experience outside of MTO or Serco.

A poor company to work for

Work environment stressful, no support from management, extensive travel involved, not fair distribution of workload between staff. Hopefully you'll be a favourite, if not watch out. Management from supervisors to top of company not good. It's a shame, the wages are decent, but no job security. You'll get sent home all the time when it's quiet so don't actually think just because your full time or you have seniority that you will work a full week. You will have to work weekends in the summer, mandatory overtime and sent home in the winter. It's constantly an unpleasant environment. the reviews I read on hear none of them are from Serco DES all different parts of the company from all over the world. so take them with a grain of salt, company is not run the same everywhere.

Pros

decent wages

Cons

horrible environment, stressful, lacks job security, bad management

Terrible company to work for

Employees are a liability to this company. Treated awful. Paycheck was only reward. No room for advancement, management terrible, very very negative environment. No job security, sent home all the time if quiet, and docked pay. Laid off, called back, laid off... Dangerous, stressful job with no support from supervisors. Treated as children, the only thing that matters to this company is making money at any expense. There is a terrible attrition rate which is surprising becausing it does pay decent. But the environment in most of the offices is terrible. I highly recommend choosing another career choice. This is a privatized government contract that does expire this September 2013.

Pros

pay

Cons

stressful working conditions, no management support, negative environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Serco Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1K
1.2K

3.1Job security/advancement
  • Serco Group
  • Job Security & Advancement
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?