Sephora Employee Reviews

Review of Sephora
Fragrance Captain/Makeup Artist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 February 2018
Sephora needs to take a major look at how they treat their employees, and how they pay them.

The Cast does not get paid nearly enough for the had work they do.
Pros
Amazing Cast
Cons
Low Pay
Great Benefits and consistent hours for full time staff
Beauty Studio Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 February 2018
As long as you're hired as full time you will receive consistent hours. (they like most retail employers will hire you on paper as part time so that if they don't have the hours to give they can cut yours) The health benefits are great including massage and chiropractic visits. Most employees get along great, and the gratis is a nice bonus. The leadership however made the store go downhill over the last year or so making it a miserable place for most employees to work. Now a lot of those management have quit so perhaps when the new management is brought in this will change.
Pros
good hours for full time, health benefits for all employees, gratis
Cons
leadership often has favourites, leadership lead to a negative work environment.\
It's just the worst...
CM Certified Colour Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ontario29 January 2018
The only good thing about this job is SOME of the coworkers. I say some because of the management team. I've never dealt with such awful management or leadership. Constantly belittling cast, always making passive aggressive comments and constant disrespect. The girls I work with are amazing, and it's upsetting to watch them get treated so unfairly. They're all hard workers, and amazing with clients, yet leads always find something to pick on.

Lets talk for a quick second about how awful the pay is. Minimum wage as a certified makeup artist through Sephora, while also holding a diploma and certificate from makeup artistry school is INSANE. $14.00/hr for a full face application in a 1-on-1 setting while also being expected to provide lessons for the client??? What is Sephora on????!!!??? Also, you CANNOT accept tips, or they'll literally threaten to fire you. This is also not just any retail job. You are expected to go above and beyond, spending 5-10 minutes (which is expected per client, but you'll probably be yelled at by management if you actually do it) with each person that walks in the door. Cashiers are paid the same as color consultants who are paid the same as certified artists... Different job=different pay.

Gratis is OK. Who can dislike getting free makeup?? I mean, a lot is promised and not a lot is given, but the stuff I have received is generally nice stuff. I just hate that management uses it as something they can hold over you. Like you won't get it or don't deserve it unless you please them that day. I don't know... just defiantly not worth it.

I understand
  more... it's probably store to store, but my years in Sephora has made me (and many of the girls I work with), lose my passion for makeup artistry. I've never felt so lost in what I do. I've loved makeup and makeup artistry since I can remember. And I know I still have that love and passion somewhere in there... but as long as I'm at Sephora, I know I wont be able to get it back.  less
Pros
gratis
Cons
management, pay, atmosphere, work-life-balance
a great learning experience
Colour Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 January 2018
personally i would love to be in the beauty industry as a career in the future, so working at sephora in beauty and cosmetics retail was a great experience. I learned a lot and grew as an artist and as an employee.
Pros
free product, free food, lots ofhours
Cons
unfriendly employees, long hours, late nights
Fairly Fun Workplace
Cash Wrap Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2018
Sephora is a good place for one to have their first retail industry job. As an artist, or if you are creative, you'll greatly enjoy the themed beauty look days. If you enjoy a fast paced environment, this is most likely for you.
Pros
Product knowledge, gratis, sometimes free lunches
Cons
The work culture could be improved
Great place
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON20 January 2018
Sephora is a great place to work at. There are amazing work benefits. The managers are work hard to make sure each employee (who is a student) has great work and school balance.
They demand more but pay less.
Colour Consultant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 January 2018
Sephora is a retail job so it's understandable that they have certain numbers/goals to hit. Despite that, they're an awful company to work for. Unless you live at home or are a teenager, you'll get nowhere- money wise and professionally.

They expect ALOT from whether it's the hours or tasks you do during your shift while constantly reminding you that "you're on the clock". The kicker is when we do our bag checks at the end of the shift, we have to wait however long it takes to get through everyone while NOT being paid. Sometimes it could take 15-20 min which is ridiculous considering they like to fill up every minute of your shift with something to do because you're being paid but they don't like to return the same courtesy when it comes to your own time.

Management subjects to favouritism BIG TIME. If you're in the group you're not expected to do things like garbage runs, quality runs, cleaning tasks etc. However, if you're not in that group, be prepared to be constantly asked to do all those things and then some even if you're busy with a client and the "favourites" aren't busy at all.

The pay is the worst. Minimum wage applies to everyone (unless you're a favourite then you'll probably get a raise and be paid more than some people who've been there for years). It's a laugh that an inexperienced colour consultant who's never applied makeup before gets the same pay as an actual professional artist who attended an institution. You won't be able to afford your student loans working here- just saying. The only positive side is the free gratis, but then again, that doesn't
  more... put food on the table or pay bills if you live on your own.

I've also heard that the store director where I worked actually blocks HR calls after you leave. I was never told about HR contacting you once you leave until a fellow cast member mentioned it to me. Very interesting indeed.

Avoid this place unless you want a basic retail job with some free makeup. If you're an actual professional makeup artist, you won't get your fill here.
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Management, wage, respect for all, everything.
Knowledgeable person
Beauty Studio Coordinator (Former Employee) –  laugh10 January 2018
A great environment to learn about all beauty trends and product knowledge. You learn how to become a fluent salesperson. Make people feel beautiful from the inside out. Meet lifelong friends. learn to cater to a multitude of clients.
Pros
Gratis, Friends, Learnings
Cons
Low pay, Micromanagement
lack of support from upper management
Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 January 2018
Your are basically thrown in and held to expectations of very tenured successors. If you are applying externally for anything in upper management I strongly encourage you demand all necessary training.
interesting
Makeup Artist, Cosmetic and Skincare Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 January 2018
interesting people to work with. flexible hours with some occasional opportunities to move up in the company. interesting rate of pay. interesting team morale.
Doesn't pay living wage!
Colour Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ontario2 January 2018
What Sephora pays employees with experience is way below industry standards. It's impossible to survive on their pay unless you're a teenager. The free makeup and training is great but it doesn't pay the bills and management plays favourites when it comes to who gets promoted. The atmosphere was fun, although they expect a lot from you to work 9 hour shifts if you're full time and it leaves you with no social life.
Pros
Free makeup, brand events
Cons
Low wages, management picks favourites
The people were great
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 December 2017
I was only seasonal and I did not get hired beyond.
Clients were hit and miss. Some very demanding and rude. But there were ones who made my day worthwhile.
Pros
Gratis
Cons
Lots of work
Poor Management, Great co-workers
Colour Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 December 2017
The location I worked at had the highest volume of clients. My co-workers (cast members) are the only reason I was able to stay sane. Although I loved the management team as people, as actual managers they were terrible. Lack of communication, dishonesty, favoritism, and selfishness were very common among the managers which made growth within the store difficult. For a company that stresses customer service above everything, my location cared far more about the numbers rather then making clients happy. The longer I worked there the more I hated people, which was not what I wanted when I started
Pros
Benefits, Amazing Co-workers
Cons
Poor management, kills your soul
not as fun as it looks
cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 December 2017
the people who work there are nice and understanding, but the management not so good. it might look like a great place to work at for people who love makeup but not really. very long hours and very loud music. not very nice clients , high expectations from management team.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hours poor manaegemnt
rewarding place to work
Colour Consultant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 December 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is always getting to learn, teach, inspire and educate clients on products and how to use them. I love the makeup artistry aspect of being a colour consultant.
Fun, fast paced environment
Color Consultant (Former Employee) –  BC5 December 2017
I really enjoy the amount of training and investment they put into their cast members to advance their knowledge on products and trends. It truly helps with being able to educate the clients. Lots of opportunity to grow within the company. The only downfall is the salary for cast members.
Sephora is a Family
Fragrance Consultant (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB28 November 2017
Never in my life have I felt so loved and appreciated in a work environment. The management team is exceptional and our team is given more than enough training and support.

Would recommend anyone and everyone apply.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2017
a typical day at sephora would start off with a touch base just to know what is going on in stores, our daily goal and how our day will be like. I learn something new everyday whether it be from a brand rep or what is new in stores. this is a very fun place to work at and you meet new people everyday.
Pros
Gratis; free products
Cons
not enough hours
Fun Place to Work
Full-Time Certified Artist/Educator/S0S Trainer/ (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2017
Great culture, training and team environment, unfortunately the company doesn't pay well, so unless you are planning on moving into management, long term employment is redundant.

Super team oriented.

Fun place to work
Pros
Free product, good discount, contests, fun team environment, great training
Cons
exhausting hours, low pay, stores are too large now.
Fun place to work
Skin Care Consultant (Customer service) (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK2 November 2017
Good place to work. Management is fair and team work is amazing. The most fun part of the job is helping clients and greeting. I have learned many new technique in client service.
Pros
free lunches
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sephora. Our community is ready to answer.

51K